Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Remote Car Starter

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by BURGERMIKE View Post
    Had to go there, Carl?

I have a factory Toyota remote starter on my 09 Land Cruiser. It works well but I wish it worked from longer distances. That's really my only complaint. Out here where it gets to 110 in the summer it's a huge convenience to remote start the truck from inside and let the AC run for 10 minutes before going out.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by jetstream23 View Post

I have a factory Toyota remote starter on my 09 Land Cruiser. It works well but I wish it worked from longer distances. That's really my only complaint. Out here where it gets to 110 in the summer it's a huge convenience to remote start the truck from inside and let the AC run for 10 minutes before going out.
    Did the vehicle come with any windows?

Quote Originally Posted by jetstream23 View Post

Pu$$y.... real men lease a BMW!

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Quote Originally Posted by shakin318 View Post
    lol

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by shakin318 View Post
    I'll have to check. I'm inside right now.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitman Harris View Post
    Huh?!

Is that true? I always thought it was good to let your engine warm up on cold days.
    It IS good to warm the engine up....by driving it, not letting it idle. Cars are meant to run at a certain temperature (the parts fit together the best when at operating temperature). Letting a car idle will take MUCH longer to get up to temperature than just sitting and idling.

You shouldn't start the car and immediately drive it. Let it run for 30 seconds on a cold day and then drive.

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Quote Originally Posted by NYJCAP2 View Post
    It's for my gf's '08 4runner limited.
    Oh, and I don't think it applies to you, but a non dealer installation can void a Warranty.

i think you can get one installed for under 500. what a great idea....it zero degrees out but you step into a warmed up car with ice melting off the windows?!? its the next best thing to an attached garage

I wouldnt worry about the idling issue being bad for the motor. Ive been hearing that forever and turning wrenches for 35 years. Never heard or saw a problem that could be related to excessive idle

But beware, they wont install them on 5 speeds!

Quote Originally Posted by dickkotite View Post
    i think you can get one installed for under 500. what a great idea....it zero degrees out but you step into a warmed up car with ice melting off the windows?!? its the next best thing to an attached garage

I wouldnt worry about the idling issue being bad for the motor. Ive been hearing that forever and turning wrenches for 35 years. Never heard or saw a problem that could be related to excessive idle

Yeah... Don't think that would work out very well... having cars just lunging out of nowhere ghost-ridin the whip style

Quote Originally Posted by NYJCAP2 View Post
    That's the intent.

I guess I'm asking where the best place to go is, electronics store, dealership, autoshop etc.

Don't know if things are different up in that neck of the woods, but down here in Ky, dealership are the worst place to go to have something like this done. Their markup on the product is ridiculous, and they normally charge full shop rates($80-$125 per hour) even when installing accessories such as this.

Best bet is to find a car audio/video/alarm shop up there that has been in business for a while and has a good reputation. Here, it seems that new shops pop open every year, but close fairly quickly. Other shops have been here for years and aren't going anywhere.

Pricing is probably different up there as well. Here, you can get a basic remote starter installed for under $200 total.

Costs go up as you include get into higher end units that do more. Does the car in question already have a plip for keyless entry ? Does it have an existing alarm ? Does the key have a security chip ? Do you want extended range ? All these things will factor into the selection of the unit, it's cost and the cost of installation.

Quote Originally Posted by dickkotite View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Hitman Harris View Post
    Yeah... Don't think that would work out very well... having cars just lunging out of nowhere ghost-ridin the whip style

Depends on the shop as there are a number of remote start systems actually designed for use with manual transmissions.