Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Remote Car Starter

All League

Remote Car Starter

Have any of you gone to get one of these installed? What processes have you taken?

Where did you buy the kit?
    Where did you get it installed?

I'm looking to get one that's of pretty good quality, and 2-way if the price is right. I'm not looking to skimp but I also don't want to drop a grand on the top of the line stuff.

Expertise please...

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by NYJCAP2 View Post
    Have any of you gone to get one of these installed? What processes have you taken?

I'm looking to get one that's of pretty good quality, and 2-way if the price is right. I'm not looking to skimp but I also don't want to drop a grand on the top of the line stuff.

Expertise please...
    You need the Remote Kerry Rhodes XLV model.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Had to go there, Carl?

All Pro
    I don't have one! oh!wait a sec I better check...........no I didn't get one.

Jets Insider VIP
    I'm no expert but I had one installed on my wife's Civic many years ago; I don't know which brands are tops but we had a Crimestopper which seemed to work pretty well.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

When I bought my truck I didn't even realize it had a remote starter. One day I'm doing yardwork in the backyard with my keys in my pocket, and my wife comes out and goes "uh honey, did you know your truck has been running for like 15 minutes?" I went out to take a look and I was like "whoa, I have a remote starter!"

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.

Expertise please...
    What kind of ride?

Jets Insider VIP

Expertise please...
    I had one installed by Audio Design in Hicksville bak in the early 90s for my Acura. Not sure they are still there. LOVED IT.

Could start the car on cold days from the kitchen.

I had NO issues.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Apache 51 View Post
    What kind of ride?
    It's for my gf's '08 4runner limited.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    I had one installed by Audio Design in Hicksville bak in the early 90s for my Acura. Not sure they are still there. LOVED IT.

Could start the car on cold days from the kitchen.

I had NO issues.
    That's the intent.

I guess I'm asking where the best place to go is, electronics store, dealership, autoshop etc.

Jets Insider VIP
    Letting your car idle to warm up on a cold day is really bad for the engine.

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    It's for my gf's '08 4runner limited.
    I would always go to the dealership if they offer it unless you know a long time established aftermarket electronics etc. place. I would also get an experienced 'A' tech at the dealership ask for one, you don't want some hack touching her vehicle. I think when we recently bought a car they wanted $600 to put one in, should have done it right there and then at POS, my wife didn't want one installed.

i make my driver start the car. Pfff, peasants

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by PlumberKhan View Post
    Letting your car idle to warm up on a cold day is really bad for the engine.
    Huh?!

Is that true? I always thought it was good to let your engine warm up on cold days.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitman Harris View Post
    Huh?!

Is that true? I always thought it was good to let your engine warm up on cold days.
    I don't know if its bad, but it is unnecessary. Running the car for a minute is all that is needed

Jets Insider VIP
    That's the intent.

I guess I'm asking where the best place to go is, electronics store, dealership, autoshop etc.
    Mine was done after market. It seems to be a commodity...just go to a place that does a lot of that.

I dont think its something they can fukk up.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by BRONX JET View Post
    I don't know if its bad, but it is unnecessary. Running the car for a minute is all that is needed
    Yeah... Main thing is getting the oil moving around and not just taking off as soon as you turn it over.

I can't imagine it being bad waiting til it's warm tho... there's no load on the motor

I've got the best car starter for those cold mornings.

Just toss the keys to the wife and say, "Go start the car, b*%ch!"

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitman Harris View Post
    Yeah... Main thing is getting the oil moving around and not just taking off as soon as you turn it over.

I can't imagine it being bad waiting til it's warm tho... there's no load on the motor
    Engine oil has changed over the years, but yeah it's good practice to let her warm up.

Jets Insider VIP
    Movin On Sound in Franklin Square. http://www.movinon.com They're really good.