Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Doesn't sound to good for santonio Holmes

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    What does the guy have to do to be considered a bad teammate in your eyes?

Don't you remember last offseason, Blowing off OTAs, Arriving late and showing up his coach by throwing his helmet in front of reporters, continuing to talk trash in and to the media after Rex asked the team not to.

And it is a history of him being so, Why did pitt let him go and why did they only get a 5th for him? They could have kept him on the team for another year and gotten more than that in a comp pick. A 5th for a guy making 500.000 the year after he got 1200 yards.

I am sure every team has a holmes on it, it is just that he makes 10 mill and doesn't produce. He might as well paint a bullseye on his back.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Batmans A Scientist View Post
    I suspect the 29INTs the Jets threw that year (along with 23 TDs) may be partially explained by the lack of WR talent on that team. Plus, Richie Anderson and Curtis Martin accounted for just about 50% of all completions that season.
    Err what was the bottom line? 9 and 7. That is the point! We can win with the kids . Play them and develop them! Besides we play a WCO and throwing to TEs and RBs is part of it. Who Cares who gets 50 per cent of the passes as long as we win!

Are you expecting a Super Bowl appearance in a re-building year?

Lets develop the kids for the long haul! We could be very surprised!

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post

Don't you remember last offseason, Blowing off OTAs, Arriving late and showing up his coach by throwing his helmet in front of reporters, continuing to talk trash in and to the media after Rex asked the team not to.

And it is a history of him being so, Why did pitt let him go and why did they only get a 5th for him? They could have kept him on the team for another year and gotten more than that in a comp pick. A 5th for a guy making 500.000 the year after he got 1200 yards.

I am sure every team has a holmes on it, it is just that he makes 10 mill and doesn't produce. He might as well paint a bullseye on his back.
    Obviously your Shats have never had such a guy on the team which is I guess, why you are asking about this on a Jets fan website

Now that you have Teblow, it's time to find out first hand about such players - like not being able to learn the playbook, pandering to his horde of halfwitted cult followers, not bothering to practice worth a crap and refusing to play any other position but QB, the one he most certainly can't play

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

Talking

This is why MT was one of the worst gms ever.. The Sanchez contract, and Holmes contract.. Neither would have had teams running in line to sign them, yet MT thought it was necessary to give them guaranteed deals like they were Payton manning and Calvin Johnson.. Holmes obviously needs insentive to practice hard and be a decent teammate, guaranteeing so much of his salary obviously doesn't give him any insentive.. The injury is not his fault, but He wouldn't still be here taking up cap space if not for terrible contract MT gave him..

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Cleansweep2013 View Post
    This is why MT was one of the worst gms ever.. The Sanchez contract, and Holmes contract.. Neither would have had teams running in line to sign them, yet MT thought it was necessary to give them guaranteed deals like they were Payton manning and Calvin Johnson.. Holmes obviously needs insentive to practice hard and be a decent teammate, guaranteeing so much of his salary obviously doesn't give him any insentive.. The injury is not his fault, but He wouldn't still be here taking up cap space if not for terrible contract MT gave him..
    And that's just a couple of reasons for why he was rightfully fired.

He always let the better guys walk and then signed the wrong ones with insane contracts.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    It was non-contact in the SF game. It was the play where he threw the ball up in the air while on the ground and SF returned it for a TD.

Ah, that's right. Not sure why I didn't remember that. Thanks

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just resign Edwards and pick up one more receiver. Solved.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    We started the 2000 season with 5'10 Wayne and 5'9 Dedric Ward as the 1 and 2 Veteran W/R's.. Vinny hadn't played in a year and Groh was the new HC and we went 9-7 after after a 6-1 start.. No one knows how this team will be yet.. Well except for the Chicken Little Brigade..
    Quote Originally Posted by Batmans A Scientist View Post
    I suspect the 29INTs the Jets threw that year (along with 23 TDs) may be partially explained by the lack of WR talent on that team. Plus, Richie Anderson and Curtis Martin accounted for just about 50% of all completions that season.
    Wasn't that also the season where the position was so devoid of size and talent they needed to use Marcus Coleman a few times at WR? I remember the passing game that season, regarding the WRs and TEs, being nothing more than a step above decent, if that. I wouldn't exactly reference that season to inspire confidence about this years in regards to the WRs.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    If, in fact, Holmes is hurt worse than anyone thought, and his season is in jeopardy, hope there is an injury settlement clause in contract. Don't know if that's possible with the cap, dead $, etc, but would be a nice option if it came to that point.

All League
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Not worried about it.

Anything is, at this point, speculation.

He didn't participate in OTAs and June Minicamp?.....so what?

Reporters always speculate the worst possible scenario because a story that says, "Holmes missed mini-camp but we expect him to be ready by week 1" isn't a story.

There has been no definitive indication that Holmes will not be ready by week 1 just like there has been no definitive indication that Holmes will be ready by week 1.

Everything is pure speculation at this point.

In fact, I can speculate that, because Idzik has NOT gone out and picked up a vet WR at this point, everything coming from Holmes and the doctors tells them that he will be ready and that they are prepared to move on to the season with Holmes, Hill and Kerely as the 1, 2 & 3 WRs.

If they were really concerned about Holmes not being ready for the season, they presumably would have brought in Vet before OTAs and mini-camp to start learning the system.

They haven't....which tells me that they fully expect Holmes to be ready to go.

But again...that's all speculation on my part......

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Brandon Lloyd is worth a look if Tone won't be available till after the season starts....

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by carlito1171 View Post
    Brandon Lloyd is worth a look if Tone won't be available till after the season starts....
    Swapping one head case for another.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Raider9175 View Post
    http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100...st-severe-kind

Neither Santonio Holmes nor New York Jets head coach Rex Ryan is confident in the wide receiver's availability for training camp, much less the season opener. Now we have a better idea why that's the case.

Holmes revealed that his Lisfranc fracture was diagnosed as a Grade 4 injury, which is the most serious variety. He had a joint separation and a muscle tear in the middle of his foot, according to ESPNNewYork.com. A plate was removed in a March follow-up surgery, but two screws will remain in his foot permanently.

Although Holmes has set the beginning of training camp as his "target date," not one of the Jets beat writers has been buying it as a realistic timetable. Holmes' yet to begin running and cutting. In fact, Holmes hasn't even disclosed if he has started jogging.

With Holmes' Week 1 status up in the air, the Jets are "looking at all possibilities" at the position after a disappointing showing by their wide receivers in last week's mandatory minicamp.

Free-agent options include Brandon Lloyd, Austin Collie, Laurent Robinson and Chaz Schilens.

Of that group, Lloyd easily is the most attractive option. New Jets general manager John Idzik has to be harboring doubts about placing an eccentric wide receiver known for his erratic behavior in the middle of what has been a combustible locker room.
    Who brought up the raiders, "forcing" you to respond? I thought you said that was the only time you posted around here, right?

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by freestater View Post
    Who brought up the raiders, "forcing" you to respond? I thought you said that was the only time you posted around here, right?
    most def. doesnt only talk about the raiders on here with 5,000+ posts

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    obviously Holmes failed the explosiveness test, requiring Raider911 to chime in

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by shuler82 View Post
    hmm.. this shouldn't be new news to the Jets. I wonder why they avoided WRs in FA and the draft.. Not saying that a #1 was available, but at the very least they should've looked to upgrade..
    Who was available in the 1st round that was worth taking?

The guy they wanted was gone at 8, and they were picking 9. If they traded up, the place would have gone nuts. Better to draft 2 good players than reach for a WR.

As for FA, who was out there that they could afford. People need to remember how much dead money Idzik is clearing off this year.

Isn't this the same injury that basically ruined Jevon Kearse's career?

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by chirorob View Post

The guy they wanted was gone at 8, and they were picking 9. If they traded up, the place would have gone nuts. Better to draft 2 good players than reach for a WR.

As for FA, who was out there that they could afford. People need to remember how much dead money Idzik is clearing off this year.

I believe so. And Deuce Staley, David Boston....the list goes on. Some players have come back from it, but it is definitely something to be concerned about. Especially if his was so severe.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzsaw View Post
    Good call on Collie, he'd be a good pickup
    He is one hit from being a vegetable!! PASS!!

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

I never said he was a model teammate......I don't even think he's a good teammate, but it gets blown out of proportion.

The only real problem I had with him is the 2011 Dolphins game, and even then, try being a talented WR for 16 straight weeks with that QB, in that offense with your playoff hopes crushed right before your eyes due to the same issues over and over......No excuse though, no player should ever embarrass their team during the game....But it atleast showed he cares and wants to help the team win and was frustrated.....

Other than that, a few dumb little incidents but nothing to warrant the crazy amount of hate.....Is he Immature? Yes.....Boneheaded at times? Yes.....Genuinely bad person? Don't think so.

I think he's a very good talent that is overpaid, which again, shouldn't be used against him by fans......Blame the Front Office, the players will always take as much money as they can get and so would you

Hopefully he comes back 100% and has a good year

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by chirorob View Post

Hence my point that a #1 wasn't available, but they should've looked to upgrade/fill out the position if within the organization they knew that Holmes might miss the first quarter/half of the 2013 season. Instead they didn't draft a WR, and only brought in Obomanu a week ago. Overall I'm a big for of Idzik has done this off season (and i love the Winslow signing) but I think he dropped the ball a bit when it came to the WR position.