Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Jets fans are due for some good luck

Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post
    You're also way the hell off in your comment about Rex Ryan. RR is the best HC the Jets have had since Bill Parcells.

He'll also get a contract extension likely this season. Woody Johnson knew better than to fire a good HC. He knows a good HC when he sees one. So do I.

I would suggest you stop living in the same world the OP is.
    Now that's really setting the bar pretty high isn't it. The Jets have seen a ton of stellar defensive minded HC's since the Tuna.

Rex could become a good HC if he treated the offense like he did the defense. I'm not expecting a HC to be great in all facets of the job but he needs to minimally put the right people in place to do the jobs he can't. Rex may have taken a step forward this year with his admittance his plan on O had failed and hiring a real OC and QB coach. If he can work well and mesh with MM and Lee and let them run their side of the team he may very well be on his way to becoming a great HC until that happens though for now he's just a great DC.

It was called a dose of reality. I wasn't being harsh in the least bit. What I stated was fact. If the OP wants to live in LA LA land, that's his prerogative. My choice is to live in reality.
    In reality, the draft is a known crap shoot. I think it's naive to say there's no luck involved when a player taken after the first round becomes an elite contributor, which is what we have to hope for in Geno.

As others have said, the Pats did luck into Brady in the 6th. And until we see BB take a Brady-less team deep into the playoffs, you can't convince me that all of the NE success over the past decade doesn't sit predominantly with #12.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenWave View Post
    In reality, the draft is a known crap shoot. I think it's naive to say there's no luck involved when a player taken after the first round becomes an elite contributor, which is what we have to hope for in Geno.

As others have said, the Pats did luck into Brady in the 6th. And until we see BB take a Brady-less team deep into the playoffs, you can't convince me that all of the NE success over the past decade doesn't sit predominantly with #12.
    Agree 1000%. BB has a career losing record w/o Brady

Practice Squad
    Jets luck already changed with hard work and planning. As they say you create your own luck by putting yourself in position to have good things happen. Trading Revis was a good move cuz the trade set up another 1st rd pick which allowed them to get 2 top tier players in rd 1 and still get the top QB in the draft in rd 2. So that right there is a lot of luck to me. The draft fell just right. I think all 3 players are good players that could be major cogs in this machine for years to come.

This team is moving in the direction of the Seahawks and Colts IMO. I think that all this talent stands a good chance to gel and come together this season. I like the coaching we have on both sides of the ball and as the OP said with a little luck they can take advantage of that and have a good season.

Rookie
    Good new vs. bad news re Geno:

http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/arti...1-138d87d3d3a6

Fascinating stuff by David Lee on Geno by the way that got lost the other day.

"He’s the most interesting guy. When his footwork is good success follows him like no other quarterback I’ve ever coached. It happens every day," Lee said. "He double hitches on the posts it makes him late instead of a single hitch. Those things are killing him. We’ve installed so much, so many plays. And then there’s new plays and what’s that footwork."

Quote Originally Posted by LIJetsFan View Post
    Good new vs. bad news re Geno:

http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/arti...1-138d87d3d3a6

Fascinating stuff by David Lee on Geno by the way that got lost the other day.

"He’s the most interesting guy. When his footwork is good success follows him like no other quarterback I’ve ever coached. It happens every day," Lee said. "He double hitches on the posts it makes him late instead of a single hitch. Those things are killing him. We’ve installed so much, so many plays. And then there’s new plays and what’s that footwork."
    Good read. Really pulling for Winters in the RG competition. Peterman is a JAG, but if Winters can beat out a veteran with 90 starts under his belt, then that was a good 3rd-round pick.

The notes on Geno are why it's probably best if he takes over mid-season. He won't perfect footwork and timing in less than a year, but it can definitely get better over the first few weeks of the season while being a spectator.

Then again, Sanchez's play might make that transition happen sooner...

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

I'll start by saying I'm very hopeful about this years draft as well ... Love the 2 kids in round 1 and winters ... As well as the trade for ivory.

Geno is what will determine whether the draft is good or great IMO

I believe the 2013 season record is not going to be good ... Therefore i personally want all decisions at QB to be what gives Smith the best chance to succeed in his career rather than what gives the Jets the best chance for wins in 2013.

It has sounded like he has some talent on the field but lacks consistency

I also worry about him handling the pressures of NY ... And everything else related to being a team leader ... He comes across as a sensitive / introverted type ... The FO may need him to mature a bit from the sideline ... And learn by watching all the BS that Sanchez has to deal with before being thrust into the maelstrom himself

Thus ... Unless he suddenly turns into Peyton Manning in TC & preseason I think the best long term decision is to have him on the bench for at least the first 1/2 of the season ... While the other young/new pieces go through their growing pains this year

Oh, for crying out loud will you please stop with this nonsense?

Being a good football has NOTHING to do with luck. It's about hiring competent people, assembling a team, perservering in the face of an injury bug, etc. Good HC's overcome obstacles of that nature.

BB has been successful for the last 13 or so seasons not making any excuses for himself or his team.

So please..I'm not trying to insult you here, but enough Stuart Smalley Saturday Night Live emotional sh*t.

This team will man up and start to win games and eventually win a SB when they get the right FO, GM, and CS assembled. When they start working like a team. When they start drafting as good or better than other teams.

It isn't about some stupid emotional feeling that says, "The Jets have had pretty bad luck for last few years. So they are now ENTITLED to some good luck".
    Luck has a lot to do with the draft!
    So, you knew going into the draft that Milliner was gonna drop to the ninth spot!
    Are u effing kidding me!
    Milliner wasn't even on jet fans radar B4 the draft, do you know why?
    Because NO ONE thought he would be there at 9 but chit happened & all of a sudden trading Revis who wanted 16-18 million per year didn't look too bad when Milliner was sitting there available for a new CBA 1st round salary.

Oh, & you know why Richardson shocked your azz when the Jets picked him?
    Because he's another guy that slipped through while you were drooling over Floyd, who even after the Jets lucked into Richardson, fell further than all you experts expected.

Then, on top of the Jets maybe getting the 2 best defenders in the draft, the consensus best QB drops to the 2nd round, are you effing kidding me?

I'm not hear saying that these guys will pan out, I'm saying that if they do, all of us will look back at this draft & say, " how the hell did we get the best CB, DT & QB in that draft?.
    Everyone in the media uses the Jets as their whipping boys, but everyone that I listened to thought the Jets had a great draft. It was so good the way that he board fell, people couldn't find anything to criticize about it.
    That's a damn good sign when bashing the Jets is in favor & most in the know had nothing but good things to say about our 2013 draft.
    Saying luck has nothing to do with it is like saying Denver didn't get lucky that John Elway didn't want to play in Baltimore, or that Belichick would have the success he's had without a 6th round flyer in an unathletic Brady.

Luck is huge in the draft. Indy was lucky they had the 1st pick in the draft when Andrew Luck was available. Do you think had the Jets had the 1st pick they wouldn't have picked him?
    Don't be so freaking naive.

So are Browns and Lions fans.

Banned
    I really don't get the Rex hating.

All the guy needs is a decent roster on offense. And I'd put money on this D!

Rex knows everything on the line and now he's starting to get it done himself with what he's considered a genius of.

The Defense WILL NOT fail this year. I think a LOT of us are going to be very surprised.

hopefully

Practice Squad
    I actually LOVE REX as a defensive minded headcoach. It doesn't really bother me that much as long as we have competent OC in there which we finally have. Schotty and Sparano were not getting it done. I think also that Rex finally has a GM that knows what he's doing. I LOVED the picks this year. I actually like some of the other moves Idzik made as well. How can you know like the potential of Ivory and Goodson?

The luck part comes in with regard to health and everything coming together in a way that it hasn't for this franchise. Goodness knows that if the Pats didn't get lucky with Brady things would've been a lot different all these years. There's some luck involved because you can't guarantee how good your picks are gonna be. You hope they work out and in the case of late round picks you REALLY don't know for sure what you've got. Maybe we get lucky with some of our UDFA's this year. You just never know in this game. You can only do your due diligence and put in the hard work of building your team, but in the end catching a diamond in the rough is a bit of a crap shoot.