Thread: " Station fires radio hosts who mocked Steve Gleason " ~ ~ ~

Hall Of Fame

Arrow " Station fires radio hosts who mocked Steve Gleason " ~ ~ ~

We found out earlier Monday that three Atlanta radio hosts on 790 AM were suspended for mocking former New Orleans Saints player Steve Gleason, who suffers from ALS. The inevitable happened a few hours later: They were fired.

It was an unavoidable decision after the audio tape of the segment was released Monday afternoon, via WMTI-FM in New Orleans. The tape somehow was worse than we even imagined.

Gleason : My life is awesome
    Steve Gleason discussed if he has any regrets playing football in a guest column on SI.com. More ...

In the "Mayhem in the AM" segment, "Gleason" called in to the show on a supposed media tour. In a short, senseless, deeply unfunny few minutes, someone pretended to be Gleason talking through a computer, telling knock-knock jokes.

Some of the supposed jokes :
    1. "I wish I could play"
    2. "I blame Gregg Williams"
    3. "Smother me. Do me a favor."
    4. "I'm going to hell."

The three fired hosts were Nick Cellini, Steak Shapiro and Chris Dimino. At least one of the hosts seemingly started to realize it was a bad idea halfway through, but no one stopped it. Sometimes in life you have a few seconds to make the right move, and everyone involved here -- from the hosts to the producer -- fell short in a very public way. Those few minutes changed the lives of everyone involved.

Gleason did not responded Monday with a public statement. But Clare Durrett, the executive director of Team Gleason, did speak with The Times-Picayune."At this time, we don't feel the need to issue a statement as it just takes time away from the important things Steve and Team Gleason are doing," Durrett said. "Currently, Steve is enjoying a much needed vacation in the Northwest and spending time with friends and family. He is having an extraordinary day so far, having been the guest writer for Peter King's Monday Morning Quarterback and is now interviewing Pearl Jam.

"Following up the rest of the day, Steve will be with Michel and son Rivers enjoying the lakes and mountains that surround them, which is far more important than addressing a talk show that has no relevance to his efforts."

UPDATE : The Atlanta Falcons released the following statement Monday night: "The Atlanta Falcons are disappointed in the comments made about former Saints player Steve Gleason on a local Atlanta radio station Monday morning. The content concerning Mr. Gleason was completely inappropriate and is not representative of the views of the Falcons organization, nor does it represent the way we conduct our business on and off the field. To single out Steve the way he was this morning is totally lacking in taste and discretion."

> http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100...-steve-gleason

Jets Insider VIP
    Is there any sports radio station left that hasn't fired Steak Shapiro?

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post
    Is there any sports radio station left that hasn't fired Steak Shapiro?
    yes, this ONE...

> http://lr1.latvijasradio.lv/

Hall Of Fame
    Steve Gleason wrote on his organization's Facebook page Tuesday that he accepts the apologies of the three Atlanta radio disc jockeys who mocked his Lou Gehrig's disease in a skit Monday morning and later were fired.

Steve Gleason has lost the ability to speak and move as a result of ALS, but through his non-profit organization, Team Gleason, he tries to help others with the disease.The 36-year-old Gleason, a former safety who played for the New Orleans Saints from 2000-06 and was diagnosed with amyotrophic lateral sclerosis in 2011, thanked "the public for their support" on the Facebook page for Team Gleason, his non-profit organization that works to help others with ALS.

"'Defend Team Gleason' now has been officially redefined. Additionally, the DJs have provided genuine apology. Received and accepted. We have all made mistakes in this life. How we learn from our mistakes is the measure of who we are," he wrote."I think everyone can learn from this event. Its clear to me that, on a national & global scale, ALS is not understood, which is part of why its under funded and largely ignored. In the past 36 hours lots of people have been talking. Lets talk about this... There are zero treatments for ALS. If you take any action as a result of this event, I prefer it to be action to end ALS," he wrote, asking the public to visit his organization's website to see what Team Gleason is doing to fight ALS.

Patients who have the fatal disease ALS lose the ability to speak, move and eat, which has happened to Gleason. He uses a technology that allows him to use his eyes to write. He wrote a column for SI.com on Monday detailing his life with the disease, his interactions with his 19-month-old son Rivers, and his efforts to help others with ALS.790 The Zone hosts Nick Cellini, Steak Shapiro and Chris Dimino were fired Monday after a segment Monday morning in which two of the on-air personalities took a call from a third host who pretended to be Gleason by using a voice that sounded automated -- mimicking another ALS patient, world-renowned physicist Stephen Hawking.

All three took to Twitter on Monday evening to apologize to fans and others who criticized the segment.

> http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/94...ired-radio-djs

What's a Steak Shapiro?

And I'm still trying to figure out why it would be funny to fake a call from a somewhat obscure (maybe not to locals?) football player with ALS....some kind of Falcons-Saints rivalry taken to a ridiculous level?

I wish stations in Canada had the balls to do such things. A young Edmonton oilers prospect (20 years old) jumped from a bridge in his home country of Latvia and was killed (no rulling if it was just a prank or suicide) and some shock joke in Toronto, before the kids body was even found was cracking jokes about him jumping rather than have to come back to Edmonton. In my mind that dwarfs the gleason bit.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    I wish stations in Canada had the balls to do such things. A young Edmonton oilers prospect (20 years old) jumped from a bridge in his home country of Latvia and was killed (no rulling if it was just a prank or suicide) and some shock joke in Toronto, before the kids body was even found was cracking jokes about him jumping rather than have to come back to Edmonton. In my mind that dwarfs the gleason bit.
    sad