Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Mets walkoff win from Sunday disgusts Bob Costas

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    And they have not participated in a MLB playoff game since 1992.

Is that what you want?
    No, I want the young solid team that is in the top 5 in wins in the MLB and was built through solid drafting / scouting and not throwing $$$$ against the wall for overpriced FA's and hoping they fit.

With the young pitching talent that the Mets currently have on the roster as well as coming up through the minors, combined with $50mm + coming off the books in dead weight, what makes you think that the Mets are looking more like they're going to go by the wayside for another 13+ years.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfreak10 View Post
    No, I want the young solid team that is in the top 5 in wins in the MLB and was built through solid drafting / scouting and not throwing $$$$ against the wall for overpriced FA's and hoping they fit.

With the young pitching talent that the Mets currently have on the roster as well as coming up through the minors, combined with $50mm + coming off the books in dead weight, what makes you think that the Mets are looking more like they're going to go by the wayside for another 13+ years.
    Things are looking up for the Mets, we'll see this offseason if they're willing to spend any of the $100 million that's come off the books the last few years. The pitching staff is looking up, but there are some gaping holes in the lineup.

All League
    East of the Jordan, West of the Rock of Gibraltar

And I want to own a forest of lollipops where elves and wing unicorns frolic all day and the sun never sets and...

Drafting talent for the MLB is a crap shoot. period. The end.

I love guys like you who think a scout (basically a guy who cant land a job as a minor league manager) can watch a high school or college kid play baseball and tell with certainty how good this kid will be 5 years?

Really?

But watching a MLB player (with 20 other guys and 3 video cameras) face MLB competition 162 games a year is "throwing $$$$ against the wall"?

Really?

Veteran
    And I want to own a forest of lollipops where elves and wing unicorns frolic all day and the sun never sets and...

Drafting talent for the MLB is a crap shoot. period. The end.

I love guys like you who think a scout (basically a guy who cant land a job as a minor league manager) can watch a high school or college kid play baseball and tell with certainty how good this kid will be 5 years?

Really?

But watching a MLB player (with 20 other guys and 3 video cameras) face MLB competition 162 games a year is "throwing $$$$ against the wall"?

Really?
    And I like guys like you who think, hey, lets spend $$$ on a high priced FA bc he has a track record. Its a guarantee he'll be great!

The Angels have spent $$$$$ on 2 of the highest priced FA's over the past 2 seasons. Hamilton and Pujols were "can't misses" They're currently 4 games better than the mets. Pujols has the same #'s as Marlon Byrd, Hamilton's #'s are probably worse.

Maybe you're misunderstanding me, but i'm not saying the team needs to be 100% constructed of drafted talent. But it helps! If you have young talent, you can control those players for years at a reasonable price tag and able to fill other holes via FA. Having 2 top of the line starters which are in the infancy of what looks like promising careers is a huge step in that direction.

Which is why I referenced the $50mm coming off the books after this year. Spend that money wisely and they can possibly be in position next year to make a push towards the playoffs.

I know its a world of "what ifs" and means nothing. But their record against the worst team in baseball, Miami is an unexcusable 3-8. Flip that record around and they're over .500 and in striking distance of the WC.

All League
    And I like guys like you who think, hey, lets spend $$$ on a high priced FA bc he has a track record. Its a guarantee he'll be great!

The Angels have spent $$$$$ on 2 of the highest priced FA's over the past 2 seasons. Hamilton and Pujols were "can't misses" They're currently 4 games better than the mets. Pujols has the same #'s as Marlon Byrd, Hamilton's #'s are probably worse.

Maybe you're misunderstanding me, but i'm not saying the team needs to be 100% constructed of drafted talent. But it helps! If you have young talent, you can control those players for years at a reasonable price tag and able to fill other holes via FA. Having 2 top of the line starters which are in the infancy of what looks like promising careers is a huge step in that direction.

Which is why I referenced the $50mm coming off the books after this year. Spend that money wisely and they can possibly be in position next year to make a push towards the playoffs.

I know its a world of "what ifs" and means nothing. But their record against the worst team in baseball, Miami is an unexcusable 3-8. Flip that record around and they're over .500 and in striking distance of the WC.
    I don't think anyone is arguing that homegrown talent can be massively beneficial to any team. The best teams have a blend of homegrown talent and free agents. The Yankees were built on some great homegrown talent supplemented by free agents and trades. Their homegrown talent has gotten old and expensive and their young replacements haven't worked out.

And Josh Hamilton was not considered a can't miss, he has major personal issues and that was a factor in some teams not aggressively pursuing him.

All League

and the Yankees, Red Sox, Rangers, Dodgers and Tigers have spent lots of money and win

Also, in 2012 only 3 playoff teams had payrolls below $100 million

Veteran
    and the Yankees, Red Sox, Rangers, Dodgers and Tigers have spent lots of money and win

Also, in 2012 only 3 playoff teams had payrolls below $100 million
    No idea where you got the $100mm benchmark..but whatever, i'll roll w/ it.

Lets not let the facts get in the way of a good story as I count 5 (Braves, Nats, Reds, O's, A's) of 10 playoff teams from last year with payrolls under $100.

Also, currently where we stand 5 (Rays, O's, A's, Pirates, Braves) of the 10 playoff teams have payrolls under $100mm.

Now, I never said the Mets should spend under $100mm. From what I've read, the gameplan was to target FA's once the horrible Santana / Bay contracts come off the books, and they should be around $100mm. But, if they're able to add talent to fill holes going into next year, you can't just write them off if they don't meet your $100mm threshhold.

All along, all I've said was I want them to maximize their homegrown talent (theme amongst playoff teams), but you spouted off about unicorns farting rainbows.

Relying completely on spending big $$ on free agents is not a way to go about building a baseball team. You need a mix of young, cheap talent and solid veteran FA's.

All League
    No idea where you got the $100mm benchmark..but whatever, i'll roll w/ it.

Lets not let the facts get in the way of a good story as I count 5 (Braves, Nats, Reds, O's, A's) of 10 playoff teams from last year with payrolls under $100.

Also, currently where we stand 5 (Rays, O's, A's, Pirates, Braves) of the 10 playoff teams have payrolls under $100mm.

Now, I never said the Mets should spend under $100mm. From what I've read, the gameplan was to target FA's once the horrible Santana / Bay contracts come off the books, and they should be around $100mm. But, if they're able to add talent to fill holes going into next year, you can't just write them off if they don't meet your $100mm threshhold.

All along, all I've said was I want them to maximize their homegrown talent (theme amongst playoff teams), but you spouted off about unicorns farting rainbows.

Relying completely on spending big $$ on free agents is not a way to go about building a baseball team. You need a mix of young, cheap talent and solid veteran FA's.
    You are correct and I am wrong.

The $100 million mark is where Alderson stands. That mark cost us Jose Reyes. IMHO Reyes was our greatest homegrown position player.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/0...st-notes-.html

"I know it will be substantially higher," Mets GM Sandy Alderson told David Lennon of Newsday regarding the team's 2014 payroll versus its current $55MM range. Speaking to Joel Sherman of the New York Post in June, Alderson estimated a $90-100MM payroll. "I think it has to be sort of a portfolio of players and contracts with varying maturities and obligations that make sense," Alderson told Lennon of his offseason plan, perhaps with a Red Sox-like strategy in mind for the club's numerous positional needs. 2014 was "always a target year," noted Alderson.
    Last edited by Buster; 07-29-2013 at 11:19 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

The Wilpons have an empty stadium because the fans know that the Buffalo Bisons won't produce. If they showed the fans any hope of getting any viable FA talent that would be different.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by JumbalayaJet View Post
    The Wilpons have an empty stadium because the fans know that the Buffalo Bisons won't produce. If they showed the fans any hope of getting any viable FA talent that would be different.
    No offense meant, but if fans think players are still coming from Buffalo, they really aren't paying attention.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Dierking View Post
    No offense meant, but if fans think players are still coming from Buffalo, they really aren't paying attention.
    Vegas was a mistake that should be corrected soon.