Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jets Defense--Talented, Young, Face High Expectations

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like

Jets Defense--Talented, Young, Face High Expectations

The Jets have one of the most talented defenses in the league. They are young and inexperienced, the dreaded “potential” word, but still should comfortably rank in the top 5 this year. This is expected of a Rex Ryan team.

Why talented? The front seven includes 4 first rounders (Pace, Wilkerson, Coples, Richardson), 1 second rounder (Harris) and 2 third rounders (Davis, Ellis). Their first three corners (Cromartie, Wilson, Milliner) are first rounders.

Being a first rounder is no guarantee of success. The Jets have proved that too often over the years. But when you group them together, the odds swing massively in your favor.

We all know that lack of speed was the killer the last two years. No one can accuse this group of being slow.

Rex has put together a strong group. His stamp is all over this defense. He will live or die as Jets HC based on how they perform. But he and we have every right to be optimistic heading into the season.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    What's your starting 11 lineup on D?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Richardson, Ellis, Wilkerson
    Barnes, Harris, Davis, Coples
    Cromartie, Milliner, Landry, Bush

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Yankeejet22 View Post
    "Potential" is an overused word...so I'll use it again. But that group has the potential to be really, really nasty. Young, talented and now with several of those guys having a little experience under their belts (Wilk, Coples, Davis) it's hard not to have high expectations for that group.

Unless some unforeseen happens, the 2014 team might be one player away (a stud Safety or LB) from a consistent Top 5 defense.

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
    Definitely lots of talented players. But with only 3 returning starters (4 if you include Coples), I'm not so sure we'll be in the top-10 in defense. That is lot of new pieces. It would be good accomplishment by Rex if they finish in the top-5

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetstream23 View Post
    "Potential" is an overused word...so I'll use it again. But that group has the potential to be really, really nasty. Young, talented and now with several of those guys having a little experience under their belts (Wilk, Coples, Davis) it's hard not to have high expectations for that group.

Unless some unforeseen happens, the 2014 team might be one player away (a stud Safety or LB) from a consistent Top 5 defense.

Bolded says "LOOKOUT BRADY!!!"

Hall Of Fame
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Post Thanks / Like
    This is the year the D takes a dip.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Expect the defense to be more aggressive. Under Pettine they were more conservative. Our blitz numbers were the highest when Rex was calling the plays in 2009. Hes back to being the playcaller, so I expect our defense will be back to being aggressive.

I want to see how Coples does, we need him to step up as that pass rusher. Can he be the 10+ sack guy? Is he a better interior pass rusher? Hopefully he steps up and we finally have that pass rusher.

I think DeMario Davis will shine starting next to Harris.

Wilkerson will be huge and emerge as a elite player. and I think Sheldon Richardson is going to be a stud. We may finally have a pass rush.

CB we are talented and deep still. Safety is a big question mark. I expect Josh Bush will win the starting FS spot, hopefully he can show some of those ball skills he had in college and get some INTs.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Yankeejet22 View Post

Bolded says "LOOKOUT BRADY!!!"

They better be able to get to him in the 1.8 seconds it takes Tom to get rid of the ball.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GuidoYaztremski View Post
    They better be able to get to him in the 1.8 seconds it takes Tom to get rid of the ball.
    You hope that they don't. Because if they do get to him we all know that he'll play like sh1t, stomp his feet, scream at his line and whine to the refs.

We've seen it, we know.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    They face expectations from who? I guess a few fans who always have high expectations. I would agree that the defense should be good.

But, generally when a team faces "high expectations" they are referring to media and not a limited % of their own fans.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Nut View Post
    You hope that they don't. Because if they do get to him we all know that he'll play like sh1t, stomp his feet, scream at his line and whine to the refs.

We've seen it, we know.
    That's so true. And yet the Pats will still win by 3 TDs.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well..they better be throwing shut outs based on our offense.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Apache 51 View Post
    This is the year the D takes a dip.
    What do you call the last 2 years?

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GuidoYaztremski View Post
    That's so true. And yet the Pats will still win by 3 TDs.
    Not if they hit Tommy Girl.

It's why you worry enough to post it here.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Nut View Post
    Not if they hit Tommy Girl.

It's why you worry enough to post it here.
    LORD HEAR OUR PRAYER

Hall Of Fame
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by brady's a catcher View Post
    What do you call the last 2 years?
    They kept the team in games, O totally sucked, totally.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    I actually am really excited about the defense this year. I think they really improved team talent and speed on D. Then you add in the Rex factor and I think these guys will be even better than last year. All we need is support from the offense, which I believe will also be better.

If we're gonna have any success against the Pats, it's gonna be because of our D Line being able to push the pocket in his face. I can see our D Line being able to get consistent pressure and forcing Brady to throw it away more than he wants to. Then he'll get desperate and make a mistake. It's basically how I see a lot of the Jets games going.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    the potential of that D is what I hope will make this season enjoyable

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    I expect the defense to be young, fast, and full of mistakes the first half of the season. Alot of new guys getting used to their new postions and a new system which is complicated. However, when this defense gels and is in sync it is going to be a thing of beauty. I fully expect us to be well on our way to being a legit top 5 defense by the end of the year. I lm real excited to see what millner has.