Thread: R.I.P. Dave Jennings

All Pro

R.I.P. Dave Jennings

Just read that he passed today. Great color guy on the radio he knew his stuff. Got to meet him after Jet games he was a very friendly guy.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Sorry to hear ... Seemed like a good guy

One of the best the Jets ever had on the radio and field. Nice guy, sad. Too young.

Very sad. Seemed to be well liked by both friends and colleagues. Knew the rules of the game better than most refs. RIP.

Jets Insider VIP
    Wow. Horrible news. He was a punter and an even better radio guy. Great personality and seemed like a genuine person who was calm and straight up with everything he said. What I'll remember most is how extensively he knew the rules of football. He would always correct a guy who would generically refer to the officials as "refs". He'd be like, "No, the ref didn't make a bad call. It was the Field Judge who is one of many officials on the field."

Apparently he had Parkinson's disease which I never knew.

RIP.
    Last edited by jetstream23; 06-19-2013 at 02:11 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Great player, great broadcaster and personality. RIP

Veteran
    Dave Jennings was my favorite radio broadcaster for the Jets, so knowledgeable and great at explaining football nuance and rules. I was disappointed when the Jets let him go from their radio broadcast team, (apparently they wanted more of a homer) The Giants picked him up immediately.

Parkinson's must be difficult to live with ... RIP Dave.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gangrene View Post
    Dave Jennings was my favorite radio broadcaster for the Jets, so knowledgeable and great at explaining football nuance and rules. I was disappointed when the Jets let him go from their radio broadcast team, (apparently they wanted more of a homer) The Giants picked him up immediately.

One of the best if not the best football broadcasters I have ever listened to.. RIP Dave..

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    One of the best if not the best football broadcasters I have ever listened to.. RIP Dave..
    So true. Pleasure to listen to

Jets Insider VIP
    Really sad news to me...

I really loved Jennings as a radio personality. He was one of the reasons I actually enjoyed listening; he really brought me Joy and when a humanbeing can bring others Joy, to me, it says a great deal about them

Dave and Marty Glickman were the best radio team the Jets ever had. Pretty good punter, too. And by all accounts a good guy.

RIP.

R.I.P. Dave. I was not happy when the Jets let him go. A master of the rules of the game and explaining them to his listeners. His commentary was very insightful. Very sad to hear.

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    R.I.P., punter when it was needed, Giants.
    Last edited by Apache 51; 06-19-2013 at 06:06 PM.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gangrene View Post

Jennings had the habit of being honest which the Jets didn't appreciate. It was a shame because he was a tremendous color man. Highly underrated and I never understood how he didn't get a shot with network TV.

Rest in peace.

All Pro
    Without question the best radio analyst the Jets and Giants ever had.

Condolences to the Jennings Family.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    Yes, he was one of those people who came across as knowledgeable, kind and patient explaining the rules. As a emigrant to this country, Dave Jennings taught me the rules of football and a love for the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Traitor Jay & the Woodies View Post
    Jennings had the habit of being honest which the Jets didn't appreciate. It was a shame because he was a tremendous color man. Highly underrated and I never understood how he didn't get a shot with network TV.

Rest in peace.
    Me too, I though Dave should have been on television. Jennings I thought was very fair when it came to the Jets, I think he was dispatched not long after Woody took over the franchise. The fact that the Jets have not had a statement of condolence published in the mainstream media (outside an article on their website), leads me to think that Woody is the issue.

What personally bothers me is Mara and the Giants taking ownership of Jennings legacy. Yes he punted for the Giants for a long time but he only broadcast for the the Giants for five years ... he broadcast for the Jets for 13 years ... In all he spent 17 years punting and broadcasting with the Jets and 17 punting and broadcasting with the Giants.

Call me reactionary but the fact that Woody has not gone before the press to pay homage to an important person in the NFL community and New York is shameful.