Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: PSL/Club Seat Default Letter

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    "If I do the train it's $20 round trip times 3 people is $60 plus $5 to park at the train station we are at $65. If you do a NYC stadium you are paying through the nose for food, beer etc before a game or during a game. Easily $100 for 3 people so $165 for a yuppy NYC experience plus game ticket prices or $80 for a real man's football experience".

These numbers are way off. A lot of man on LI work in NYC so we have monthly passes. Kids ride free on LIRR so at best you buy and off peak for wife. LIRR charges zero to park in all train stations on weekends and even nights.

Lots of Jets fans I know from Southshore catch train out of Rockville Centre as tons of trendy bars and places to eat and lots and lots of trains. Like 35 minutes to penn.

If it was in NYC the tailgating would happen before you got to game.

Right now if I take a train to a 4pm game. My cost is $11 for NJ Transit. LIRR is free. I sell my parking pass for a $20 dollar profit. Grab a few tall boys and a dog for train ride for around $9 bucks. Total cost is zero.

Tailgating is extremely expensive. Gas, two bridge tolls, wear and tear on car, cost of parking, opportunity cost as you could have sold pass for a profit. All that food, beer, time and set up,

Tailgating like going to a football game is something you do cause you love to do it. No way can you say it is cost saving.

Honestly if I am taking kids to something a basketball game in Garden is a lot easier and family friendly. Dont even need to bring coats in the winter. Delli at my trainstation too. No worries about traffic, no subway and kids ride free. I can take my kids round trip to MSG for free.

Now that they hiked tolls I am planning on going to opening day with my parking pass and selling the nine other passes. Plus I have to get there at the crack of dawn to get a good spot. Who wants to leave house at 8am on a Sunday when I can leave house at 11am. Last time I tailgated I met up with my buddies who have a dad who joins them who has a handicap sticker. It was great. I took 10am train, met them right by gate at 11:25, tailagted to 12;50 and walked in gate which was only a few hundred feet away. all I had to do was bring a 12 pack with me. Which I grabbed cold at 7/11 at my train.

Guy actually begged me to come more. 1/2 his tailgate crew is gone. I told him I cant bring food on train. He was like bring nothing if you want to. I was like beer or a bottle of something no problem.

People have time constraints today, they dont have all day to hang out. NYC would have been better for Gen Y. Plus kids under 30 have been drilled into not to drink and drive. By me all the clubs are dying. Kids dont own cars and dont drink and drive. My neighbor kids all borrow dads LIRR pass, meet at 7/11 near train, hop on train with cold case, and go out in city. Parents actually like that better.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dcat View Post
    link? I have been reading his stuff since usenet days in the mid 1990's. I don't recall a single put-down of Huntington or any other part of Nassau or Suffolk counties. Please corroborate your opinion.

yeah right. I grew up in Queens, have lived in Manhattan, Nassau and Suffolk counties and now NJ. Frankly, living here is better in every respect. Economically, socially, educationally for kids, you name it.... Easy commute to the city for events (compared to commuting in from Long Island, which is the area's worst commute). JMO.
    Sorry. I'm not about to search through SAR's thousands of posts and frankly it's not that imp't to me. I do remember though in countless stadium threads his putdowns. Of course it's all shtick.

I'm very glad you're happy in Jersey. I'm happy in LI. I don't put down Jersey. All I say is it's not the right place for the Jets to play. I think all you guy's Jersey sensitivity to constantly defend it and put down LI does show something - if not envy then whatever.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Queens Jet Fan View Post
    Sorry. I'm not about to search through SAR's thousands of posts and frankly it's not that imp't to me. I do remember though in countless stadium threads his putdowns. Of course it's all shtick.

I'm very glad you're happy in Jersey. I'm happy in LI. I don't put down Jersey. All I say is it's not the right place for the Jets to play. I think all you guy's Jersey sensitivity to constantly defend it and put down LI does show something - if not envy then whatever.
    Having lived in both for many years, there is no comparison.

That said, both NY & NJ suck in so many ways. Compared to some other parts of the country, just comparing NY to NJ is stupid because they both suck.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    I prefer LI to NJ (live in Chatham now) but that is just preference. The are largely two sides of the same coin.

The point I think is being lost.

I think everyone agree, in terms of location, Manhattan would have been the ideal as all roads (and trains) lead to Rome. Place would have been sold out, the Jets would play in Mecca... yadayadayada

Queens would have been less ideal but still a much better home for the franchise because the largest concentration of Jets fans are in Nassau and Suffolk counties and by playing in Queens you essentially open up that market. Not only that, you do so being the only NFL option in the immediate vicinity.

Jets are competing with the Giants on their own turf. The deck was stacked against them from the beginning. They were never going to get away with charging "Giant" prices for a "Jet" product in NJ. Many of us knew this many years ago. The Jets didn't.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    http://www.goodseattickets.com/20344...son-Home-Games

Crazy, Great Hall club season tickets 1k each. LLEZ season tickets $400 each.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Alkrotraz View Post
    http://www.goodseattickets.com/20344...son-Home-Games

Crazy, Great Hall club season tickets 1k each. LLEZ season tickets $400 each.
    Damm it was a price blip I should have bought them!! Back up in price.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Traitor Jay & the Woodies View Post
    I prefer LI to NJ (live in Chatham now) but that is just preference. The are largely two sides of the same coin.

I think everyone agree, in terms of location, Manhattan would have been the ideal as all roads (and trains) lead to Rome. Place would have been sold out, the Jets would play in Mecca... yadayadayada

Queens would have been less ideal but still a much better home for the franchise because the largest concentration of Jets fans are in Nassau and Suffolk counties and by playing in Queens you essentially open up that market. Not only that, you do so being the only NFL option in the immediate vicinity.

Jets are competing with the Giants on their own turf. The deck was stacked against them from the beginning. They were never going to get away with charging "Giant" prices for a "Jet" product in NJ. Many of us knew this many years ago. The Jets didn't.
    not sure they could have built their own stadium in LI/Queens to make the math work.

Manhattan would have been the best... oh well.

surprised you don't like chatham. my sister moved there within walking distance (3/4 of a mile i think) of the train station and they really like it. Not a cheap place though.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by batman10023 View Post
    not sure they could have built their own stadium in LI/Queens to make the math work.

Manhattan would have been the best... oh well.

surprised you don't like chatham. my sister moved there within walking distance (3/4 of a mile i think) of the train station and they really like it. Not a cheap place though.
    I didn't say I disliked NJ. Chatham is a beautiful town. Your sister must be right near me. I'm about that far from the station as well. Right by the Milton School.

But for getting around and getting in and out of NYC, I prefer LI. Everything is relative.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Traitor Jay & the Woodies View Post

This post just about sums up the whole issue. Spot on.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Good thread...

Couple of points:

1. The PSL $$$ in NYC would be double if not triple of what it is now, so no win there for the non PSL folks out there.

2. With 70K leaving at once, the train lines would be very long, and still on the Sunday schedule, but being in NYC at least the stations are bigger.

3. Tailgaiting would be non existent outside the stadium, although there was talk of opening up the ferry lots in Weehawken for tailgating and taking a ferry over... Post game that option would stink. But if there was a lot next to the stadium, I would be the first one there!

4. The Super Bowl, NCAA Championship and concert revenues would be only for the Jets, but Met Life has a Super Bowl so that is basically a wash.

5. Met life cost $1.6 billion, Jets share only $800 million. Who knows what the final NYC cost would have been, and the Jets, AKA us fans, would be on the hook for that.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    The old stadium was sold out until 2008. The reason was ticket prices. They were affordable. People were starting to get fed up when the uppers jumped from $70 to $75 before the 2008 season.

Whether the stadium was built in NJ, NYC, Long Island, or anywhere else with the design of the stadium and the PSL/ticket prices I don't think any of them would have sold out.

MSG holds about 20k and it can be a bit hectic to leave to take the train. Yankee Stadium holds 50k and the subways from there are a zoo. There is even some parking in the area. Imagine a stadium holding 80k and say 70k took public transportation?

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dcat View Post
    Having lived in both for many years, there is no comparison.

That said, both NY & NJ suck in so many ways. Compared to some other parts of the country, just comparing NY to NJ is stupid because they both suck.
    Spent four years on Long Island for college. Like the Holocaust NEVER AGAIN. I broke up with a girl who lived in Long Island. One of the reasons I refused to ever move out there. She felt the same about NJ.

The traffic in NJ is bad but Long Island the Southern State or LIE is a nightmare.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jets337 View Post
    Spent four years on Long Island for college. Like the Holocaust NEVER AGAIN. I broke up with a girl who lived in Long Island. One of the reasons I refused to ever move out there. She felt the same about NJ.

The traffic in NJ is bad but Long Island the Southern State or LIE is a nightmare.
    NJ folks think traffic is bad on LI and LI folks think traffic is bad on NJ.

Most folks near me take LIRR to work and have stay at home wives. I usually fly when I go on vacation.

Only time I ever see traffic is when I get forced to drive to Jets games.

Jersey drivers are the worst so usually when folks from Jersey are driving they create traffic. Folks in LI DONT like to Drive, that is a Jersey thing. We would love to hop train to city to see game, not deal with GWB traffic jams.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    I empathize with those of you that travel to Jersey from LI for the Jets, however it is only 8 games per year. I had Mets season tickets in '09 and live out near Bedminster, NJ. I didn't go to all the games obviously but when I did, it was traffic, $30 in tolls to get there and back and then add the $20 parking before you even walk through the turnstile. Quite a nut when I went and it has resulted in me going out only around 5 times a season now. Big commitment to go to games today between the time and the money. That's why all the major league sports are doing whatever they can to get fans in the seats. HDTV as we all know has hurt attendance as well. Best story I have is a buddy of mine who lives 3 blocks from The Rock in Newark - ST holder for the Devils and walks to the games.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Folks in LI DONT like to Drive, that is a Jersey thing. We would love to hop train to city to see game, not deal with GWB traffic jams.
    I use to complain about the LIRR for 20 years. I found out the hard way how bad NJT train service is. Because of the geographical makeup of Long Island, the LIRR is an amazingly efficient and accessible railway. Practically every town has a station. Outside of those 'escape from NY" days, it actually is reliable.

NJT fans out across the state and the westside access/Amtrak right of way, make the commute unbearable.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FlagmanL11 View Post
    Good thread...

Couple of points:

1. The PSL $$$ in NYC would be double if not triple of what it is now, so no win there for the non PSL folks out there.

2. With 70K leaving at once, the train lines would be very long, and still on the Sunday schedule, but being in NYC at least the stations are bigger.

3. Tailgaiting would be non existent outside the stadium, although there was talk of opening up the ferry lots in Weehawken for tailgating and taking a ferry over... Post game that option would stink. But if there was a lot next to the stadium, I would be the first one there!

4. The Super Bowl, NCAA Championship and concert revenues would be only for the Jets, but Met Life has a Super Bowl so that is basically a wash.

5. Met life cost $1.6 billion, Jets share only $800 million. Who knows what the final NYC cost would have been, and the Jets, AKA us fans, would be on the hook for that.
    I wouldn't argue with points 2 3 and 4. However the others:

1. I will repeat myself again. PSL's have zero to do with what a stadium costs to build or maintain. They have everything to do with what the market would bear. Yes, PSL's would be higher in a NYC stadium but that is only because there would be more demand.
    4. A wash? Please. Not for the fans that's for sure. As the exclusive psl holder for a seat more then likely you would get first dibs on any non-football event. The 2014 Super Bowl is probably a one time event. The NFL did it to help the Giants and Jets get naming rights. It worked. I would be very surprised if it came back again. A NYC stadium with a retractable roof would be a mecca for sports in the country and the Jets would own it 100%. No way MetLife ever achieves that status.
    5. See point 1. Sorry but you're just wrong.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Flushing Roots View Post
    I empathize with those of you that travel to Jersey from LI for the Jets, however it is only 8 games per year. I had Mets season tickets in '09 and live out near Bedminster, NJ. I

Quite a nut when I went and it has resulted in me going out only around 5 times a season now. Big commitment to go to games today between the time and the money.
    Valid points but this. Traveling to NJ for LIers for football is no big deal because it's only 8 games a year but traveling from NJ to Queens for baseball is such a hassle you only do it 5 times a year? Last time I looked 8 is more than 5.

Also for football traffic is much worse. You have 75k leaving NJ at one time with a great majority of them (at least it used to be) trying to cross the Hudson River. For baseball you have at most 30k people leaving Citi with a small % of them trying to cross the Hudson.

Getting home from the swamps for football was the worst. Getting there not so bad.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    NJ folks think traffic is bad on LI and LI folks think traffic is bad on NJ.

Most folks near me take LIRR to work and have stay at home wives. I usually fly when I go on vacation.

Only time I ever see traffic is when I get forced to drive to Jets games.

Jersey drivers are the worst so usually when folks from Jersey are driving they create traffic. Folks in LI DONT like to Drive, that is a Jersey thing. We would love to hop train to city to see game, not deal with GWB traffic jams.
    Dude, stop. You have no clue what you're ****ing talking about!
    Ps - I live in the city so I'm unbiased

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Queens Jet Fan View Post
    Valid points but this. Traveling to NJ for LIers for football is no big deal because it's only 8 games a year but traveling from NJ to Queens for baseball is such a hassle you only do it 5 times a year? Last time I looked 8 is more than 5.

Also for football traffic is much worse. You have 75k leaving NJ at one time with a great majority of them (at least it used to be) trying to cross the Hudson River. For baseball you have at most 30k people leaving Citi with a small % of them trying to cross the Hudson.

Getting home from the swamps for football was the worst. Getting there not so bad.
    The point I was trying to make was I stopped my ST package with the Mets partially due to the time and the cost of the travel (alot more than 8 games). And while still a hassle, 8 games with the Jets from LI to NJ are more important than 5 games to see the Mets from Central Jersey to Queens. I'd pay the price to come out to see the Jets. Mets - not so much.
    Last edited by Flushing Roots; 06-27-2013 at 07:02 AM.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by abs9940 View Post
    Dude, stop. You have no clue what you're ****ing talking about!
    Ps - I live in the city so I'm unbiased

I am probably one of the few real NYC people. I was born in Manhattan. I lived in Manhattan for many years, I have always worked in Manhattan.

I work with a few guys who live in the NJ surburbs and in NJ folks drive a lot more. For instance guys at work his "station car" he drives 12-15K miles a year. Everything is spread out

I drive my station car on average 500 miles a year. When I lived in NYC I kept a car out on LI and I drove it to Hamptons or beach between October and April I had a car cover and never drove it. I had a cheap spot right near an LIRR station so would hop a 30 minute train, on a Friday night, turn key to car and head out.

Kids in Manhattan, Queens and Brooklyn as well as Nassau County and Hoboken are driving less. My kids although young dont have much interest in cars. They can walk to a lot of places near my house and LIRR is a five minute walk. It is the Jersey Surburb crowd who drives so much.

Jersey is a much bigger car culture. Guy I know in Hunterdom on three acres it is so spread out mailmen and newspapers dont get delivered to your door. On cold days he drives down his driveway to get his own mail in hiss mailbox. He takes bus to work and has a stay at home wife and between the two of them they drive 30,000 miles a year, crazy. Someone in Hoboken or Bayside would drive that much in ten years.