Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WR Depth- Who makes the team?

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

WR Depth- Who makes the team?

We actually have a plethora of #3/4 WR's.

1) Santonio
    2) S. Hill
    3) Kerley
    4)Clyde Gates
    5) Braylon Edwards
    6) Obomanu/Spadola

Could Braylon possibly not make this team?

I think tone, hill kerley and gates have locked up spots.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by J-Diddy View Post
    We actually have a plethora of #3/4 WR's.

1) Santonio
    2) S. Hill
    3) Kerley
    4)Clyde Gates
    5) Braylon Edwards
    6) Obomanu/Spadola

Could Braylon possibly not make this team?

I think tone, hill kerley and gates have locked up spots.
    Holmes is already paid so he will have a spot when he gets back. Hill, Kerley, and Gates are locks IMO. Spadola if he doesnt make the team Id have to question MM at this point. So that would be your starting 5. Too many people say he is the real deal for him not to make the cut and he'd never get by waivers. Obomanu, Ryan, and Edwards are the vets looking for a temp spot IMO. I dont think any of them can be PS guys and I dont see 2 of them making the team unless we have anther injury. It is very unlikely we carry 6 WRs + Holmes. We also usually do have a waiver pickup. So it may be none of them even make the team.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    I do not see Spadola as an automatic in place of Braylon or Obonamu. Spadola could be stashed on the PS probably.

I saw we carry 6-
    tone
    kerley
    hill
    braylon
    gates
    and either spadola or obomanu

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by J-Diddy View Post
    I do not see Spadola as an automatic in place of Braylon or Obonamu. Spadola could be stashed on the PS probably.

I saw we carry 6-
    tone
    kerley
    hill
    braylon
    gates
    and either spadola or obomanu
    Spadola wouldnt be likely to clear waivers. If you want to keep him you have to give him a spot IMO. If he hit waivers there will be a few teams putting in that claim. There are teams getting killed by injuries right now that would love to give this kid a spot on their roster. Yes you can try and then take back the waiver but then what does that say.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Keep trying, Dreamers....

Braylon is going to see plenty of action this regular season, especially if Buttfumble starts(which might happen).

And I'm not too sure about Gates being a lock at this point. He didn't exactly wow anybody last season and all he did thus far this year was simply excel at Practice and TC.

I think, going forward, it's going to be a combination of :

Hill splitting time with Braylon
    Winslow STARTING at TE(health permitting...)
    Kerley being where he usually is : In the Slot.

Heck, there could be occasions where Hill and Braylon are on the field at the same time, too.
    Last edited by Vin; 08-12-2013 at 01:16 AM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Vin View Post

Braylon is going to see plenty of action this regular season, especially if Buttfumble starts(which might happen).

And I'm not too sure about Gates being a lock at this point. He didn't exactly wow anybody last season and all he did thus far this year was simply excel at Practice and TC.

Heck, there could be occasions where Hill and Braylon are on the field at the same time, too.
    What trying Im just telling it like it is here. Didnt even take a cheap shot at him. The chances of Edwards actually making this team are very slim and you know it.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    What trying Im just telling it like it is here. Didnt even take a cheap shot at him. The chances of Edwards actually making this team are very slim and you know it.
    Braylon makes the team.... Gates does too.

The question is whether obomanu or spadola make it?

My gut tells me spadola will latch on as the 6th wr.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think they will PUP Holmes, so they can keep 2 of Obamanu, Spadola and Rogers who might have value on ST

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    The only thing I know is that you don't want Edwards on this Jets team and you're in the minority in that regard, IMO.

Besides, the Jets didn't re-sign Edwards just to be someone who takes up a roster spot. The Jets have PLENTY of "those" already.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Are you a betting man?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnysd View Post
    I think they will PUP Holmes, so they can keep 2 of Obamanu, Spadola and Rogers who might have value on ST
    Exactly. PUP Holmes, and the 5th / 6th WR has some real game time to show something to ensure he's not the guy cut when (if?) Holmes gets activated.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Assuming Holmes goes to PUP to start the season, I see the WRs looking like this:

Hill
    Kerley
    Gates
    Braylon
    Spadola
    Obomanu

That's assuming that the Jets carry 6. If they opt to go with 5 (or keep Santonio on the active roster), then things could get very interesting. I don't think the Jets see Braylon as a starter at this point, and he doesn't offer much on Specials, so there could be a very interesting battle between Obomanu and Braylon for the final spot. Obo might even have the edge in that scenario as a 4th/5th WR because you want a guy at that spot to be valuable on the kick teams. I really think Spadola is going to make the team - he was in very early with the 1s on Friday, and seems to be 4th in the pecking order after Hill, Kerley and Gates at this point.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    From what I can see, Braylon is not what he use to be. But then again, with this crop of receivers, they need him. We know he can catch the ball.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rextilleon View Post
    From what I can see, Braylon is not what he use to be. But then again, with this crop of receivers, they need him. We know he can catch the ball.
    It is too early to judge Braylon, we still have about a month before regular season starts. He's Mr. Clutch and needs to stay healthy.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    i think special teams plays heavily here, esp. with mcknight injured. they need guys who can help out in the return game. doesn't rogers return KOs? does spadola play ST?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Obomanu looked pretty solid in the first preseason game. I think he makes the team.

Holmes is going to start on the PUP list, so they can carry another WR in his place until then.

1-Stephen Hill
    2-Jermey Kerley
    3-Clyde Gates
    4-Braylon Edwards
    5-Ben Obomanu
    6-Ryan Spadola

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm not sold on Gates either.

He looked good in the game but I want to see him later in the preseason playing against #1's for more than a few series.

I like Spadola. I was high on Rogers based on what I had read but having watched him now, he doesn't have the quick feet I was expecting. And that drop definitely didn't help.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    The only thing I know is that you don't want Edwards on this Jets team and you're in the minority in that regard, IMO.

Besides, the Jets didn't re-sign Edwards just to be someone who takes up a roster spot. The Jets have PLENTY of "those" already.
    Jeez..... from a guy that sported a Sanchez avatar for years, we should pay credence to your opinion on Braylon? I loved Braylon when he was here but there is no way he is the receiver he was 2 years ago.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    Jeez..... from a guy that sported a Sanchez avatar for years, we should pay credence to your opinion on Braylon? I loved Braylon when he was here but there is no way he is the receiver he was 2 years ago.
    I don't think he has to be.

Hill and Gates (assuming he makes the team again) can stretch the field. BE can excel in the underneath zone and be a safety valve if there's nothing long. Almost like an extra TE on the field.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mrcoops View Post
    Assuming Holmes goes to PUP to start the season, I see the WRs looking like this:

Hill
    Kerley
    Gates
    Braylon
    Spadola
    Obomanu

That's assuming that the Jets carry 6. If they opt to go with 5 (or keep Santonio on the active roster), then things could get very interesting. I don't think the Jets see Braylon as a starter at this point, and he doesn't offer much on Specials, so there could be a very interesting battle between Obomanu and Braylon for the final spot. Obo might even have the edge in that scenario as a 4th/5th WR because you want a guy at that spot to be valuable on the kick teams. I really think Spadola is going to make the team - he was in very early with the 1s on Friday, and seems to be 4th in the pecking order after Hill, Kerley and Gates at this point.
    I agree with this. Holmes to PUP. We keep all of them.