Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mangold: Jets veterans want Sanchez to start

Hall Of Fame

Mangold: Jets veterans want Sanchez to start

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/jets/...2yVskJsuQji5LO

Mangold: Locker room wants Sanchez to start

Not only does Nick Mangold think Mark Sanchez should be the Jets’ Week 1 starting quarterback, but the Pro Bowl center believes the rest of the Gang Green locker room feels the exact same way.

Mangold voiced his support for the embattled Sanchez yesterday during a promotional appearance at Washington Square Park, saying his close friend gives the Jets a better chance than rookie Geno Smith of being successful right away this fall.

Asked if the rest of the locker room also hopes Sanchez will emerge as the starter, Mangold nodded.

“I believe so,” he told The Post. “I haven’t walked around with a pen and paper and taken a poll, but from the feeling I get, the locker room wants to win. Whoever gives us the best chance to do that, we want out there — and at this point, Mark gives us that best chance.”

Mangold’s backing of Sanchez for the starting job was enhanced, he said, by what the veteran lineman saw during offseason workouts and last week’s minicamp.

“I think Mark is a fantastic quarterback for us, and I think he can do some good things,” Mangold said. “He showed some good flashes in the spring, getting [new offensive coordinator Marty Mornhinweg’s] system down and commanding the offense the way that he should be. We’ll see how training camp plays out, but either way, the competition will make him a better player.”

Mangold indicated Smith has a ways to go before the second-round pick from West Virginia is ready to be an NFL starter.

“Mark had a little bit better idea of the ideas and of seeing things, which are things Geno is going to have to work his butt off on,” Mangold said.

But Mangold also defended Smith, saying he has seen no evidence of the “diva” tag that was applied after Smith caused a brief stir at the NFL Draft, fired his agents shortly afterward and then hired rap star Jay-Z’s new agency to replace them.

“He can be a good player for us,” Mangold said. “He’s a hard worker, and he’s asking questions. He’s taking the coaching and taking the advice to heart, and I think he’s doing some good things.”

Mangold joked that Smith is on notice from teammates to start bringing Jay-Z to Jets practices, but said the newcomer is well-liked.

“He’s not a diva,” Mangold said. “I don’t see the diva. I don’t get where that came from. Maybe it was somebody with sour grapes who didn’t get to pick him and is spreading some bad stuff out there. But he’s been great for us.”

Mangold also couldn’t help taking a few digs at the arch-rival Patriots in the wake of Aaron Hernandez being involved in the investigation of a shooting death, Rob Gronkowski’s multiple surgeries and New England’s surprise decision to sign Tim Tebow.

“I bet Bill [Belichick] is losing his mind right now,” Mangold said.

Asked if he was healthy going into the summer break, Mangold then poked fun at Gronkowski by saying: “As long as I can avoid back surgery and forearm surgery, I’m good.”

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/fo...icle-1.1377603

NY Jets center Nick Mangold believes Geno Smith has potential, but needs seasoning in huddle

Nick Mangold admits he has a lot to learn when it comes to the Jets’ new offense, but that’s not even close to what Geno Smith needs to know.

Mangold, who has been Mark Sanchez’s center for four years, said the rookie QB — battling his buddy Sanchez for the Jets’ job — could be a starter by Week 1, but it won’t be easy.

“I thought he did pretty well, but there are rookie growing pains,” Mangold told the Daily News at a “Man Cave” event hosted by Proctor & Gamble and Gillette, literally as he had his beard trimmed. “You gotta learn a whole new system. You’re coming from college where you have all of your buddies from the past four or five years, who all know each other. Now all of a sudden you’re coming to a huddle, you’re telling guys who are 30 years old, couple of kids, a mortgage, you’re telling them what to do. It’s a big transition.”

Added Mangold, “He’s not there yet, obviously. But I think he does have the opportunity to be pretty good this year.”

Mangold said that if Smith puts in the work, he believes the quarterback could be ready to take over an NFL starting job in Week 1 if called upon. “He’s got potential, but that’s what training camp is for,” Mangold said.

The center said that between OTAs and minicamp, offensive coordinator Marty Mornhinweg had the Jets go over just about everything in their playbook. “I think we were introduced to the whole offense. I don’t think you can learn it all, but you can get introduced,” Mangold said.

Mangold is often identified by Rex Ryan as the non-QB with the most knowledge of the offense. “I gotta learn wide receiver routes again,” Mangold said. “Marty changed them all. New names.”

The center also said he’s more preoccupied with the guard competition than the QB competition, because he’ll have two new guards regardless. Willie Colon, Stephen Peterman and rookie Brian Winters are competing for the two starting guard spots.

“To me, that’s kind of more important, in my mind, than what’s going on behind me,” Mangold said. “No matter what’s happened before . . . I’ve always had Brandon Moore to my right. So now, not having that safety net, it could be a difficult task to make sure we’re all on the same page.”

Twitter.com/SethWalderNYDN

Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/jets/...2yVskJsuQji5LO

Mangold: Locker room wants Sanchez to start

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/fo...icle-1.1377603

NY Jets center Nick Mangold believes Geno Smith has potential, but needs seasoning in huddle
    So mangold wants his best bud to start, shocker I expect talking out of turn from Holmes, but expect more from mangold. He has an obvious bias, being close with mark but why not just say " we want the best qb to start, whoever emerges ahead in the competition" does mangold still want Sanchez to start if geno is already the better qb when the season starts? I hope not. Geno will be the starter most likely sometime this year, the start of next year at the absolute latest..

Operative word being Mangold "BELIEVES" everyone in the locker room feels the same way.

And if he were to take a lie detector test, it would light up like a christmas tree.

I'm sure Mangold in his heart of hearts, knows what has to happen here. Sanchez has been a liability since his first pro game. He's only gotten worse since his rookie year.

It's time for the Jets to move on from Sanchez whenever they possibly can. Maybe that's after this season? One would think so given the money he's guaranteed. But cutting/trading Sanchez is a mere formality at this point.

And when that happens, I'm sure Mangold, being the team guy he is, will automatically attach himself to the next starting QB and march the party line with him. That's what mangold does. That's what consumate teammates do.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post
    Operative word being Mangold "BELIEVES" everyone in the locker room feels the same way.

And if he were to take a lie detector test, it would light up like a christmas tree.

I'm sure Mangold in his heart of hearts, knows what has to happen here. Sanchez has been a liability since his first pro game. He's only gotten worse since his rookie year.

It's time for the Jets to move on from Sanchez whenever they possibly can. Maybe that's after this season? One would think so given the money he's guaranteed. But cutting/trading Sanchez is a mere formality at this point.

And when that happens, I'm sure Mangold, being the team guy he is, will automatically attach himself to the next starting QB and march the party line with him. That's what mangold does. That's what consumate teammates do.
    I think Nick will always do what is best for the team and if Geno becomes the starter he will support him 100%. He is showing support for Mark b.c they are friends and he probably knows that Mark needs support. I have no issues with him voicing his opinion. Nick, Brick and Cro are probably the leaders of the team.

Quote Originally Posted by Cleansweep2013 View Post
    So mangold wants his best bud to start, shocker I expect talking out of turn from Holmes, but expect more from mangold. He has an obvious bias, being close with mark but why not just say " we want the best qb to start, whoever emerges ahead in the competition" does mangold still want Sanchez to start if geno is already the better qb when the season starts? I hope not. Geno will be the starter most likely sometime this year, the start of next year at the absolute latest..
    And you aren't biased?

Why does everyone here assume that Geno Smith is at this point a better choice than Sanchez to start the season? We all know that Sanchez sucks but what has Smith shown that hes a better option? Lets wait for TC and a few preseason games before we anoint Smith as the savior. He fell to the second round for a reason. Maybe our pro-bowl center knows a little more about this game and has seen more of Smith than anyone here and is in better position to make such statements. Jeez, folks arround here make it seem that we drafted Peyton Manning and we are holding him back to start Sanchez.

Jets Insider VIP
    Dear Nick

Bend over, snap the ball, block somebody and let those who are better equipped determine who will be the starter. Of course, Nick, Smith has learning to do--'he's a rookie so the four year starter is ahead in OTAs and minicamp.

But since the four year starter is statistically, the 36th best iin the NFL (out of 32) with 52 turnovers in just the last two seasons, Nick,--- it's probable that your sister could give the Jets a better chance to win than our four year starter at QB

Sincerely

Jet fans with eyes

All League
    time to cut mangold

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by loluchka80 View Post
    time to cut mangold
    Lol

I've got no prob with Nick saying that ... And how he said it

I want to see more out of Smith still to show he's ready ... Until he is, it may do more damage than good to toss him right in there ... I also want to see him handle the other BS off the field better ... Come on kid ... Play so well in TC & Preseason that you force me to change my mind!

Non-story here. Veterans want (or at least should want) to win immediately. I can't imagine a situation where a locker room - in June - would say "yeah, I know we have a vet on the roster who's already been to two AFCCGs, but let's go with the 2nd-round rookie who just stepped off the bus and knows literally nothing about the NFL, much less the offense he's trying to learn."

The locker room will shift either when Geno outplays Sanchez in practice, or when the season is lost. Only makes sense.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post
    Dear Nick

Bend over, snap the ball, block somebody and let those who are better equipped determine who will be the starter. Of course, Nick, Smith has learning to do--'he's a rookie so the four year starter is ahead in OTAs and minicamp.

But since the four year starter is statistically, the 36th best iin the NFL (out of 32) with 52 turnovers in just the last two seasons, Nick,--- it's probable that your sister could give the Jets a better chance to win than our four year starter at QB

Sincerely

Jet fans with eyes
    Did you really just say that?

I am as down on Sanchez as anyone but I do not even begin to pretend to be "better equipped" than one of the most cerebral Jets players we have had since I have been watching the team.

Argue that maybe Mangold is just saying that for team unity or because he secretly believes that Geno Smith needs the extra time to absorb the pro game from the bench but please do not try to argue that you, an armchair QB are "better equipped" because that is laughable.

My thought has always been that we are going to get Sanchez for most of the year and we are going to get that because I think Idzik is just fine with a really really high draft pick next year after he dumps both Ryan and Sanchez.

Jets Insider VIP
    I'll guess we'll just respectfully agree to disagree. Nick wants his four year buddy to start. I doubt very much that Idzik has the deliberately tank the season plan in mind that you appear to be ascribing to him.

Who knows, maybe this "new Mark" really exists and, if so, he should start for his last season as a Jet.

I also disagree about Rex who I think is a terrific HC who will be getting an extension this season

We don't have to agree about everything.

Go Jets!!!

Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post
    Dear Nick

Sincerely

Jet fans with eyes
    Well put. Mangold needs to stop trying to influence the QB battle, take your supportive headband off and snap the god damn ball to whoever your told to.

Nice comments to alienate Geno aswell, sure this will do wonders for his confidence knowing this delusional locker room has the turnover machines back.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by kennyo7 View Post
    Why does everyone here assume that Geno Smith is at this point a better choice than Sanchez to start the season? We all know that Sanchez sucks but what has Smith shown that hes a better option? Lets wait for TC and a few preseason games before we anoint Smith as the savior. He fell to the second round for a reason. Maybe our pro-bowl center knows a little more about this game and has seen more of Smith than anyone here and is in better position to make such statements. Jeez, folks arround here make it seem that we drafted Peyton Manning and we are holding him back to start Sanchez.
    Ummmmm this 100%

And also people act like Mangold said Smith sucked, he didnt!!

All he said is that Smith is a rookie, which he is, so what's the problem....

And some of you are so unprincipled and so Anti-Snachez, that since he Mangold says somthing positive about Sanchez, now he Mangold sucks too!!

You guys are have audacity to imply that you know more about professional football them Mangold, most of you don't know more than the typical JV High School coach about football!!! Good Grief!!!

To the OP thanks for posting these articles because it shows how each writer spun the facts to fit their specific agenda....
    Last edited by Charlie Brown; 06-20-2013 at 08:45 AM.

Hall Of Fame
    Maybe this is less about who gives us a chance to win now and more about who might be able to give us a better chance to win next year and for years to come. Maybe neither of them gives us a good chance to win now because Sanchez sucks and Geno is not ready.

Although the talking heads do not agree on much they do seem to agree that it is possible to ruin a QB prospect by putting him into the fire too soon (Joey Harrington). Some QBs come out of college ready to be thrown into the fire and some do not. If it is about protecting Geno then maybe Sanchez is the guy although personally I would have preferred McElroy or A. N. Other over Sanchez.

Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post

they would? Interestin, I haven't seen any lie detectors with lights.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Ray19 View Post
    And you aren't biased?
    Ha doesnt matter who i want to start ray..Im hoping geno becomes the good qb we hoped Sanchez would become.. I don't think he should be rushed so if he's not quite ready I have no problem with letting Sanchez start the year off.. The point is its childish and irresponsible for these " team leaders" telling the press who they want to start.. I'm sure the coaches don't want them doing so.. Since they have said its pretty even.. It's hard enough on the rookie qb without the team vets saying they hope your not the starter. I'm sure everyone will be behind geno if he is picked, but it surely doesn't make it easy on the kid. Especially if he has some rookie blunders early, he is going to think " I'm sure the team wants me pulled for mark, maybe they were right when they wanted him to start" ect.. They aren't making it easy on the kid..

nick may be able to influence who is named the starter for week 1. but if sanchez plays like crap, you won't be hearing nick say it anymore. it's the last chance for him to help his friend.

If the competition is legitimate Sanchez will start. He may suck but Smith isn't RG3 or Luck, he is a project at the NFL level. Being the 32nd best NFL QB is still better than rookie project.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by kennyo7 View Post
    This.