Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Interesting read from NFL.com about JETS D

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Raider9175 View Post
    Please explain to me when Dick Lebeau changed his philosophy for two years(stop doing what he always been doing) and now going back to what he did in the past. Ryan might not have been the DC in name but if you think pettine was running that defense, than you probably believe M sanchez is an NFl caliber Qb too. (only thing Rex knows is defense and what he will always have his hands over)

Again teams don't change something that working. Bill Bellichick figured out how to beat what Rex Ryan was doing and a lot of NFl teams followed that blue print.(real reason they stopped doing what they did)

Again IF the Jets were confident thaT Barnes, Coples, Muhammad Wilkerson , and Sheldon Richardson could get to the Qb consistently than there would be no need to try and generate a way to get to the Qb.

The Jets don't have a proven pass rusher ( takes more than 5.5 sacks a year) and Jmo they know can't let a Qb sit back there because this defense isn't as talented as it once was, and they will get exposed.
    Keep saying it. The Jets defense will have big troubles stopping the pass in 2013.
    Bellicheck figured it out, and Ryan changed it up in the post season, and beat his ass. Which other teams followed the blueprint? What was the blueprint? Which other teams, had a Brady, and a Welker to do it? Our QBR against in 2010 was around 53. You need a HOF QB, and slot receiver, or TE to consistently beat the confusion Rex causes, or maybe a Big Ben who can shrug off blitzing DBs. 2011 was the year we changed, and it did not win us more games. Pettine was absolutely calling the defense. Rex listened to the morons that say you have to be a well rounded HC. He's going to concentrate on defense again, and let MM coach the offense.

Jets Insider VIP
    Please explain to me when Dick Lebeau changed his philosophy for two years(stop doing what he always been doing) and now going back to what he did in the past. Ryan might not have been the DC in name but if you think pettine was running that defense, than you probably believe M sanchez is an NFl caliber Qb too. (only thing Rex knows is defense and what he will always have his hands over)

Again teams don't change something that working. Bill Bellichick figured out how to beat what Rex Ryan was doing and a lot of NFl teams followed that blue print.(real reason they stopped doing what they did)

Again IF the Jets were confident thaT Barnes, Coples, Muhammad Wilkerson , and Sheldon Richardson could get to the Qb consistently than there would be no need to try and generate a way to get to the Qb.

The Jets don't have a proven pass rusher ( takes more than 5.5 sacks a year) and Jmo they know can't let a Qb sit back there because this defense isn't as talented as it once was, and they will get exposed.
    Keep saying it. The Jets defense will have big troubles stopping the pass in 2013.
    SHUT UP
    GO AWAY
    YOUR RAIDERS ARE A JOKE THAT SUCKS

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post
    SHUT UP
    GO AWAY
    YOUR RAIDERS ARE A JOKE THAT SUCKS
    Palmer to Heyward-Bey is a joke? That's news to me. ....

Hahahahaha Raiders SUCK!

Sent from my Galaxy S4 via Tapatalk

Still no response raider? You in or out? 100.00 bucks Jets D is ranked above the Raiders in total defence.

Quote Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
    Still no response raider? You in or out? 100.00 bucks Jets D is ranked above the Raiders in total defence.
    In Points or total yards. Which one do you consider a better indicator of a defense worth. Total yards just could mean a defense had more plays than another team . If a team had 100 plus more plays on defense than another team, you don't think that would reflect in more yards. It wouldn't necessarily say that defense is worse/better.

How about this what defense wins the majority of these stats. 1. total yards 2. Average points per game 3 Sacks . If you can come up with any more but you get the point.
    Last edited by Raider9175; 06-28-2013 at 10:15 AM.

In Points or total yards. Which one do you consider a better indicator of a defense worth. Total yards just could mean a defense had more plays than another team . If a team had 100 plus more plays on defense than another team, you don't think that would reflect in more yards. It wouldn't necessarily say that defense is worse/better.

How about this what defense wins the majority of these stats. 1. total yards 2. Average points per game 3 Sacks . If you can come up with any more but you get the point.
    Just keep it simple Raider, at the end of the season whoever is ranked highest in overall defence (total yards per game) wins.

I'll tell you what as an extra bet if you want, you said the Jets don't have a decent pass rusher, I disagree and think we will register more sacks then the Raiders also.

This refutes all your points on pass rushing, sacks, and the Jets pass coverage, aswell as overall defence, so it's kind of a 3 way bet.

If anyone agrees or disagrees and wants to jump in feel free.

Quote Originally Posted by NY's stepchild View Post
    We hardly ever got beat for big plays, and our safeties were horrible. Our CBs are good, and with Rex' exotic pressures, there is no time to make any double moves. Brady, and Welker dinked us to death, but no big plays. 3 step drop, and the ball is out. As I said before, they could beat us with hot routes, for 10 to 15 yard plays, but they would force QBs to think fast. Then almost every drive we would get an impact negative play, or a turnover, which is almost impossible to overcome. Just ask Sanchez.
    Well, this is all pure speculation on the part of you and me. You think the pass rush will be so good that opponents will not have time for double moves. Now, I'll admit the pass rush figures to be better than ever before in the RR era, but do you know it's going to be so good that teams will not have time for double moves?

To me, that implies you think the Jets will not only be a great pass rushing team, but probably the best in the league. Right up there with say, the Giants from a couple of seasons ago. That's way too optimistic in my opinion.

You are also assuming Cro is going to be as great as he was last season and Dee Milliner is going to hit the field as an established veteran. I don't believe any of that.

Cro is going to return to very average in my opinion. Milliner will probably start to come into his own some time late in the season. He's going to get burned for a good part of the season to begin with though.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post
    Well, this is all pure speculation on the part of you and me. You think the pass rush will be so good that opponents will not have time for double moves. Now, I'll admit the pass rush figures to be better than ever before in the RR era, but do you know it's going to be so good that teams will not have time for double moves?

To me, that implies you think the Jets will not only be a great pass rushing team, but probably the best in the league. Right up there with say, the Giants from a couple of seasons ago. That's way too optimistic in my opinion.

You are also assuming Cro is going to be as great as he was last season and Dee Milliner is going to hit the field as an established veteran. I don't believe any of that.

Cro is going to return to very average in my opinion. Milliner will probably start to come into his own some time late in the season. He's going to get burned for a good part of the season to begin with though.
    I'm talking about the way we were in 2009-10. Rex dialing up overloads, and zone blitzes. When we did that, even perceived pressure made the QB get rid of the ball. Brady, and Welker beat that, by consistently hitting a hot route, against our lousy safeties, usually with a pick play. If our pressure up the middle is better, then the exotic blitzes will work all the better. Don't forget that those blitzes were also designed to fill run gaps as well. I for one can't wait to start attacking again.

I'm talking about the way we were in 2009-10. Rex dialing up overloads, and zone blitzes. When we did that, even perceived pressure made the QB get rid of the ball. Brady, and Welker beat that, by consistently hitting a hot route, against our lousy safeties, usually with a pick play. If our pressure up the middle is better, then the exotic blitzes will work all the better. Don't forget that those blitzes were also designed to fill run gaps as well. I for one can't wait to start attacking again.
    You can't go back and try to recapture what worked in the past. The teams are totally different. For one you just lost probably the best defender your organization has had ever had. ( D Revis) You don't think having him shut down one part of the field didn't play a hand in letting Rex Ryan play aggressively.(pretty much knew where the football was not going)

Yes A Cromartie had a great year at Cb for the Jets in 2012. First off he still isn't Revis and second Cromartie has never put two great years back to back ever.(until he does I wouldn't count on it) What will they get out OF Kyle wilson and Dee Milliner( who didn't play as much man to man at Alabama-there will be some growing pains)

We know jets safeties are huge question marks at this point and I don't see there Lb corp going to be that effective in coverage either. Jmo I think Rex knows there are some big holes on that defense and he needs to try and create some havoc by his blitz packages.

The Jets had thirty sacks in 2012. Adding Richardson, barnes and Dee Milliner going to dramatically increase those numbers. Unfortunately the jets aren't facing the worse offenses in 2013, they saw in 2009 season. (big reason they were number 1) . What Jet defender is capable of getting double digit sacks for the year.

It sounds all good jets are going back to be aggressive on defense . Let see how it play out. You might not like what you get.

BTW Yea the only thing rex Ryan knows about - defense he took a back seat to Pettine. (you can't really believe that- can you?)

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

You can't go back and try to recapture what worked in the past. The teams are totally different. For one you just lost probably the best defender your organization has had ever had. ( D Revis) You don't think having him shut down one part of the field didn't play a hand in letting Rex Ryan play aggressively.(pretty much knew where the football was not going)

Yes A Cromartie had a great year at Cb for the Jets in 2012. First off he still isn't Revis and second Cromartie has never put two great years back to back ever.(until he does I wouldn't count on it) What will they get out OF Kyle wilson and Dee Milliner( who didn't play as much man to man at Alabama-there will be some growing pains)

We know jets safeties are huge question marks at this point and I don't see there Lb corp going to be that effective in coverage either. Jmo I think Rex knows there are some big holes on that defense and he needs to try and create some havoc by his blitz packages.

The Jets had thirty sacks in 2012. Adding Richardson, barnes and Dee Milliner going to dramatically increase those numbers. Unfortunately the jets aren't facing the worse offenses in 2013, they saw in 2009 season. (big reason they were number 1) . What Jet defender is capable of getting double digit sacks for the year.

It sounds all good jets are going back to be aggressive on defense . Let see how it play out. You might not like what you get.

BTW Yea the only thing rex Ryan knows about - defense he took a back seat to Pettine. (you can't really believe that- can you?)
    Its hard to decide what you know less about, the game of football or the inner workings of the NY Jets.

Yes, the Jets were number 1 in 09, no it wasn't because they faced the worst O's in the league. Who is that hard up to try and make a point?

OK, well in 2009 and 2010 you're right. But this thread isn't about 2009 and 2010, this thread is about the defense this season, in 2013. I personally, do not see the Jets defense being as good as they were in 2009 and 2010.

Like I posted already, even with the best pass rush we've had since RR has been here, I still think we are going to get by TE's over the middle of the field and on deep, big plays beyond 30 to 40 yards.

I understand what you're trying to say about offenses back then, I just think to at least some extent, offenses have learned how to deal with Rex's exotic blitzes and pressures. They've been playing against it for 4 seasons now.

But beyond that, I completely agree about the excitement. I love it when Rex dials up a lot of pressures. I love it when it creates havoc in the backfield. I love the defenses generating turnovers. It's just a very entertaining portion of the game.

We had revis for two games last season moron. The raiders will likely have the worst D in the league and you want to talk about the jets. Just stop talking

Does being a glass half empty troll on here make you feel better about your perpetually crappy Oakland Raiders? Seriously every time you talk about how awesome your Raiders could be I could find 10X more material saying they will suck royally. So please take your "voice of reason" somewhere else, you have no credibility here after years of spouting off about how great your trash team will be.
    Last edited by TheMo; 06-29-2013 at 03:16 PM.

Coples had 5.5 sacks last year playing in less then 50% of total defensive snaps, he also got called for 3 face mask penalties that could easily of been sacks.

Instead of focusing on each individual player, look at who the the jets have brought in with Barnes, Richardson, combined with more playing time for Coples and Davis, these players as an overall unit will generate sacks and pressures.

It's not always about each individual player, it's a combination of talented players creating opportunities for others to succeed. Bringing in a disruptive linemen like Richardson gives the Jets the opportunity to utilise other players skill sets in different ways like moving Coples to OLB.

Mo Wilk again will only continue to get better with the influx of young talented players around him, this front 7 from a schematic standpoint works, no more forcing square pegs into round holes, they can all play their natural positions which will produce a more balance consistent pass rush IMO.

All Pro
    OK, well in 2009 and 2010 you're right. But this thread isn't about 2009 and 2010, this thread is about the defense this season, in 2013. I personally, do not see the Jets defense being as good as they were in 2009 and 2010.

Like I posted already, even with the best pass rush we've had since RR has been here, I still think we are going to get by TE's over the middle of the field and on deep, big plays beyond 30 to 40 yards.

I understand what you're trying to say about offenses back then, I just think to at least some extent, offenses have learned how to deal with Rex's exotic blitzes and pressures. They've been playing against it for 4 seasons now.

But beyond that, I completely agree about the excitement. I love it when Rex dials up a lot of pressures. I love it when it creates havoc in the backfield. I love the defenses generating turnovers. It's just a very entertaining portion of the game.
    No this is about a return to Rex running the defense, which he hasn't done since 2010. They haven't seen it for two years, and they're going to see it again, only now with much more real talent than the smoke and mirrors he did it with before. We were down from blitzing 60% of the time to around 30%. I don't think we'll be blitzing too much against QBs like Brady, but I think we'll be attacking again much more often, and then simulating pressure, once we have them scrambling. I know we simulated a lot of pressure the last couple years, but like play action, it doesn't work, unless the threat is real. I'm pretty sure they'll be a whole lot of new stuff as well. I think Ryan will spend most all of his energy on new schemes now that he has a real GM to worry about the administrative details, and a real OC to take care of the offense. Pettine was his friend, and Rex gave him too much responsibility. I guess in the same way he gave "his" players too much. I think he's learned from it, and, well Idzik is here to make sure he doesn't forget it. I like where this thing seems to be headed.

All Pro

Rex did it in 2009 with a no name defense. Revis wasn't Revis yet, and still he can only cover one guy. Teams did adapt to it (mostly just the Pats), but Rex also countered. He did it in the playoffs against Brady, Manning(He only made us look bad when we had 2 CBs hurt in the game), and Rivers. It didn't work well against Big Ben, because DBs bounce right off him, and Their running game overpowered us the first half, but who ever consistently beat our defense when Rex was running it? That was with little talent on the line, and average OLBs, and no talent at safety. I didn't think Rex would hand over the defense to Pettine, but of course I believe it, because I saw it. Rex couldn't answer the detailed questions about the defense. Sometimes he'd defend the style of defense by saying that Mike had a slightly different philosophy then him. It was more than slight. Pettine was okay, and the defense was basically Rex', only run differently. Pettine was the one with the sheet, and the one calling plays. He was much less aggressive than Rex. I wish Rex had been running things. I don't care about yards per play. I care about impact plays. Negative yardage, and dictating the pace. 4 yards per play will wear out your defense, and generate 1st downs. 6 yards per play with a sack, TFL, or a pick will end a drive. Think 10 yard pass. 12 yard pass. 6 yard run. Sack for -5 and you're at 3rd and 9. That's why Rex is better than Pettine.

Milner can play M2M, but he doesn't have to. We play a lot of zone, or zone-man. The best thing Miliner does is jam receivers, at the line, and tackle, which are the most important things to a blitzing team.

Wow you are beyond clueless.

Yes, Rex did let Pettine take over more of the defense because he erroneously thought that he should be more of a "head coach" and be more of a presence in the offensive meetings, which was a mistake that he has now corrected. Pettine preferred to blitz less which is what we did.

But do you understand football even a little bit?

Do you think rex saying the defense will be more aggressive means we are going to send 7 rushers on every play? Does drafting a penetrating DT mean we need to blitz more or does it in fact mean that we can rush 4 on true passing downs and generate pressure - because I will take my chances any day with coples, wilkerson, richardson and barnes on passing downs.

You are really becoming one of the worst posters on this board.

Cro would have had to have been "very average" in order to "return" to it. Cromartie has been good for so long as he's been a Jet.

Quote Originally Posted by detectivekimble View Post
    Cro would have had to have been "very average" in order to "return" to it. Cromartie has been good for so long as he's been a Jet.
    You're attempting to debate me based on a play on words?

You know what I'm saying. Cro had never had a year as great as last season. Never. He's always been above average. But in comparison to someone like Revis, he was normally the best of the rest.

Last season he looked almost as great as Revis.

It's not a stretch to think his play will decline from last season. In fact, I'm expecting it. When that happens, the Jets no longer have that absolute lock down corner that they had last season.

Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    Wow you are beyond clueless.

Yes, Rex did let Pettine take over more of the defense because he erroneously thought that he should be more of a "head coach" and be more of a presence in the offensive meetings, which was a mistake that he has now corrected. Pettine preferred to blitz less which is what we did.

But do you understand football even a little bit?

Do you think rex saying the defense will be more aggressive means we are going to send 7 rushers on every play? Does drafting a penetrating DT mean we need to blitz more or does it in fact mean that we can rush 4 on true passing downs and generate pressure - because I will take my chances any day with coples, wilkerson, richardson and barnes on passing downs.

You are really becoming one of the worst posters on this board.
    Again let get to the meat and potatoes . How many sacks do you see this Jet defense getting in 2013. The Jets don't have a proven pass rusher on that defense.( Fact) They had thirty sacks in 2012 and adding Barnes , Sheldon Richardson and Dee Milliner don't increase those numbers very much. ( takes more than 5.5 sacks to be considered a proven pass rusher)

Again been saying it all offseason.( not going to rehash it again as I already posted the reasons) The Jets will have major trouble stopping the pass in 2013. You don't believe it but again let see how the season plays out and than tell me what I don't know. Come up some excuse why you overrated this Jet defense

I'm sorry just because I don't believe in your fantasy posts doesn't make me a bad poster. (just my opinion and we both have a right to their own opinion)

BTW Wow Rex Ryan took over more responsibility in the offense meetingsand the draft( J Connor-how about that terminator). Where did that jet offense finish again last year. please Rex Ryan has pretty much given the control to the OC (except in M sanchez case)
    Those OC pretty much were doing what they wanted to do. (like they will do with marty this year) All Rex Ryan cares about is the defense and why so much resources has gone to that side of the ball. So you can try and give all the cover you want to Rex Ryan but nothing happened on that defense without Rex Ryan wishes( a fact). If You really think Pettine was doing what he wanted on defense than that pretty much explains why your not dealing with reality.
    Last edited by Raider9175; 07-01-2013 at 01:27 AM.