Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Interesting read from NFL.com about JETS D

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Astoria View Post
    Rex is known for holding his rookies back. You know this. Demario Davis rode the pine behind aging Scott #57. Coples lost snaps to DeVito and Kenrick freaking Ellis. Antonio Allen? Sorry bro, all pro Eric Smith is in front of you. Bilal Powell forgot how to run he saw Greene trip over his feet so many times.

Obviously the #13 pick should play. Whether Rex will play him enough is another story.
    Out of all those you mentioned, only Coples was a first round pick being taken 16th overall and he played plenty in his first season. That being said, there is a little more of a transition/learning curve playing DE/OLB as opposed to interior D-lineman where Richardson will most likely play.

So long as he doesn't suffer any freak injury in training camp or the pre-season, Richardson will get plenty of playing time.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    With regards to the blitzing, wasn't one of the reason why we stopped blitzing b.c our guy weren't getting there? Seems after Year 1 our blitzes have consisted of Harris or Eric Smith running into a DL's ass.

I just hope our 3 first rounders can generate a conventional pass rush. If they can do that then everything else will fall into place.
    I'm no expert by any stretch but I think again the problem goes back to two things. One is the ineffectiveness of guys on the interior to be disruptive, get pressure up the middle, and occupy doubles. When Jenkins was healthy and playing during his tenure in ny, he was unbelievably good at this. Unfortunately, those type of players are few and far between. Ryan and Pettine tried to use Pouha and Devito to pick up the slack and while it worked occasionally, it just wasn't a long term answer. It's hard to create one on one matchups on the outside if you don't offer anyone for offenses to stress about on the inside.

The other point, as many posters here brought up last season, was the lack of speed of our linebackers. Again, there was simply no one in that unit for offenses to really worry about. Who was coming from the outside? Thomas? Pace? Up the middle? Scott? Harris? You can have all the one on one matchups you want, but without star level talent from at least one passrusher, it's just not going to work. That's why Coples is the other big ? for me. I wanted the OLB from Georgia, but obviously Rex thinks our PR is already on the team. Time will tell.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Astoria View Post
    Rex is known for holding his rookies back. You know this. Demario Davis rode the pine behind aging Scott #57. Coples lost snaps to DeVito and Kenrick freaking Ellis. Antonio Allen? Sorry bro, all pro Eric Smith is in front of you. Bilal Powell forgot how to run he saw Greene trip over his feet so many times.

Obviously the #13 pick should play. Whether Rex will play him enough is another story.
    A middle third round pick and a late 7th rounder should not even be in a conversation for "holding back". Coples had and continues to occasionally have effort issues. If he dogged it on a couple plays each game and Rex continued to play him most of the snaps you'd have the same people who say he's holding Q back come on here screaming about how he is giving him special treatment, etc.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Our D is gonna be sick. The Offense will continue to be a horror show but this defense is going to be nasty.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Green&White51 View Post
    I'm no expert by any stretch but I think again the problem goes back to two things. One is the ineffectiveness of guys on the interior to be disruptive, get pressure up the middle, and occupy doubles. When Jenkins was healthy and playing during his tenure in ny, he was unbelievably good at this. Unfortunately, those type of players are few and far between. Ryan and Pettine tried to use Pouha and Devito to pick up the slack and while it worked occasionally, it just wasn't a long term answer. It's hard to create one on one matchups on the outside if you don't offer anyone for offenses to stress about on the inside.

The other point, as many posters here brought up last season, was the lack of speed of our linebackers. Again, there was simply no one in that unit for offenses to really worry about. Who was coming from the outside? Thomas? Pace? Up the middle? Scott? Harris? You can have all the one on one matchups you want, but without star level talent from at least one passrusher, it's just not going to work. That's why Coples is the other big ? for me. I wanted the OLB from Georgia, but obviously Rex thinks our PR is already on the team. Time will tell.
    That is an excellent point and one I have made many times. It took two players to replace one.

It will be interesting to see how Coples does at OLB. I would rather have him stay inside but I am hoping for the best.

I just think our blitz schemes were a tad overrated. Early on Rex did fool some teams but I think the league caught up with the blitzes for the most part. We need guys who can win one-on-one matchups. I think Coples showed he could do that last year and hopefully he can be that guy.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    While this approach seems as though it would be very entertaining to watch, it's also even more dangerous than normal.

Whenever you blitz, you run the chance of getting burned on big plays. But in this case, it's far worse because of the Jets lack of a good FS.

My prediction is the Jets will get burned for deep plays beyond 40 yards and they will still have big troubles trying to defend against TE's over the middle of the field.

They will be a better pass rushing team, but their secondary is going to be a problem.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm not replying everyone seperately.

Kris Jenkins played for Rex for a total of 3 games. The defense as a whole improved without him. Pouha played NT, and held the line, and commanded consistent double teams. You don't need pressure up front. You need to stand up the linemen so the QB can't step up. Devito is not a NT.

Our blitzes did not get to the QB because teams knew they had to get rid of the ball quickly. We had some crazy QBR against in the 50s so it didn't matter. The blitzes were also designed to clog running lanes.

Beside Pettine, I think we stopped blitzing because our LBs got old, and slow. They couldn't cover, or jam the slot, or TEs running hot routes. We got burnt by the Pats a few times, but not every team has Welker. Not even the Pats anymore thank God. We beat them playing coverage in that one playoff game, and Pettine thought he discovered something.

I can't wait to get back to the pressure, or the fear of pressure from everywhere we used to have. A few burns on hot reads is no big deal. I hate bend don't break defense. They can march up the field, but one big play on defense nullifies that. In other words 4 yards, 4yards, 3 yards, first down, but 12 yards, 10 yards, 4 yards, sack -7 yards leaves 3rd, and 13. Dial up the heat and make them punt.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post
    While this approach seems as though it would be very entertaining to watch, it's also even more dangerous than normal.

Whenever you blitz, you run the chance of getting burned on big plays. But in this case, it's far worse because of the Jets lack of a good FS.

My prediction is the Jets will get burned for deep plays beyond 40 yards and they will still have big troubles trying to defend against TE's over the middle of the field.

They will be a better pass rushing team, but their secondary is going to be a problem.
    Fortunately we don't have to see the pats TE's this year. Also if our CB's do their job the FS shouldn't have to do too much

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post

We hardly ever got beat for big plays, and our safeties were horrible. Our CBs are good, and with Rex' exotic pressures, there is no time to make any double moves. Brady, and Welker dinked us to death, but no big plays. 3 step drop, and the ball is out. As I said before, they could beat us with hot routes, for 10 to 15 yard plays, but they would force QBs to think fast. Then almost every drive we would get an impact negative play, or a turnover, which is almost impossible to overcome. Just ask Sanchez.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    amazing how the jet defense went from being old, slow and moldy on the dline and at lb to being quick young and talented. the simple fact is this defense has all the makings of a really good to great one in spite of losing revis. if miliner can produce at cb without too many bumps this defense will be scary good. and they will need all of these younger guys to counter the hurry up offenses of teams like the patsies.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by detjetsfan View Post
    Our D is gonna be sick. The Offense will continue to be a horror show but this defense is going to be nasty.
    D is going to be nasty right out of the blocks. O will time getting up to speed,as expected. But I think we'll surprise a lot of people this year.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ARodFLKeysJetsFan View Post
    The aggressive blitzing is what has really been missing from our defense the last 2 years, I am really looking forward to seeing it again.

This defense can be one of the best the Jets have fielded in the Rex Ryan ERA - Yes, even without Darelle Revis.

Can't wait!!!
    Let's see was it the NFl offenses that caught up with Rex Ryan blitz packages or was it hey this is so effective lets change it for just the sake of of change. Nobody changes something if it working well. Bill Bellichik wfigured out how to beat that defense ( copy cat league and everyone followed)

Gimmicks only work so long in the Nfl, once teams see enough film what your doing than they aren't going to be effective.
    JMO if the Jets think going back to the past ( blitzes) is going to be the game changer on defense than they are fooling them self . You have to evolve as a defense and can't go back to something teams started to figure out how to beat.
    What this tells me Rex Ryan doesn't think his defense personnel is as good as he Had ,and he trying to cover the holes by going back to this Gimmick.
    Last edited by Raider9175; 06-27-2013 at 04:43 AM.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Raider9175 View Post
    Let's see was it the NFl offenses that caught up with Rex Ryan blitz packages or was it hey this is so effective lets change it for just the sake of of change. Nobody changes something if it working well. Bill Bellichik wfigured out how to beat that defense ( copy cat league and everyone followed)

Gimmicks only work so long in the Nfl, once teams see enough film what your doing than they aren't going to be effective.
    JMO if the Jets think going back to the past ( blitzes) is going to be the game changer on defense than they are fooling them self . You have to evolve as a defense and can't go back to something teams started to figure out how to beat.
    What this tells me Rex Ryan doesn't think his defense personnel is as good as he Had ,and he trying to cover the holes by going back to this Gimmick.
    Thanks for yet again more positive contribution, it's especially well received coming from a fan of a team who fielded the worst defensive unit in the league last year.

Can't help but think Rex and co will be able to cope with the all pro QB stable of Flynn, Pryer, and Wilson.

Im sure the jets D will be Ranked better then the raiders usual scrubs, fancy another 100.00 bucks on that stat Raider?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FijiJet View Post
    D is going to be nasty right out of the blocks. O will time getting up to speed,as expected. But I think we'll surprise a lot of people this year.
    Week 2 has ME foaming at the mouth!

Rex is gonna unleash a hellstorm they are by NO MEANS prepared for!

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blitzing is not a gimmick, it is a proven defensive strategy that has been around as long as the game of football itself.

So, Rex is trying to cover holes??

We can agree to disagree.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
    Thanks for yet again more positive contribution, it's especially well received coming from a fan of a team who fielded the worst defensive unit in the league last year.

Can't help but think Rex and co will be able to cope with the all pro QB stable of Flynn, Pryer, and Wilson.

Im sure the jets D will be Ranked better then the raiders usual scrubs, fancy another 100.00 bucks on that stat Raider?
    What that idiot fails to realise is that the Jets finally have the talent all along the DL and speed/power at OLB to overwhelm the OL one on one and produce a more consistent and effective pass rush. The exotic blitzes that Rex will dial up will be the icing on a very firm and nutritious cake.

Yum, yum. 90210 take your donkey a$$ and joke team back to pop warner and the explosive flatulence bush league

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FijiJet View Post
    What that idiot fails to realise is that the Jets finally have the talent all along the DL and speed/power at OLB to overwhelm the OL one on one and produce a more consistent and effective pass rush. The exotic blitzes that Rex will dial up will be the icing on a very firm and nutritious cake.

Yum, yum. 90210 take your donkey a$$ and joke team back to pop warner and the explosive flatulence bush league
    Exactly, can't wait for the same, Barnes and Coples off the edge, interior studs in Wilk and Richardson, not to mention Davies has explosive speed up the middle.

This is a solid unit this year, Rex had to scheme pass rush in 09/10 because there just wasn't the talent or production due to age etc.

I don't think he's going to have to show to many exotic looks to opposing offences this year, we will get to the QB no matter what with this front IMO.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
    Exactly, can't wait for the same, Barnes and Coples off the edge, interior studs in Wilk and Richardson, not to mention Davies has explosive speed up the middle.

This is a solid unit this year, Rex had to scheme pass rush in 09/10 because there just wasn't the talent or production due to age etc.

I don't think he's going to have to show to many exotic looks to opposing offences this year, we will get to the QB no matter what with this front IMO.
    +1

Think we're finally gonna get to see some REAL Rex Defense!

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh do you mean the gimmick known as overload blitzing, zone blitzes and A gap blitzing? I guess you should tell Dick Lebeau too, dude's been doing it all wrong. If you are going to troll please head back to your perennially garbage team. Their trash defense could sure use your advice

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMo View Post
    Oh do you mean the gimmick known as overload blitzing, zone blitzes and A gap blitzing? I guess you should tell Dick Lebeau too, dude's been doing it all wrong. If you are going to troll please head back to your perennially garbage team. Their trash defense could sure use your advice
    Please explain to me when Dick Lebeau changed his philosophy for two years(stop doing what he always been doing) and now going back to what he did in the past. Ryan might not have been the DC in name but if you think pettine was running that defense, than you probably believe M sanchez is an NFl caliber Qb too. (only thing Rex knows is defense and what he will always have his hands over)

Again teams don't change something that working. Bill Bellichick figured out how to beat what Rex Ryan was doing and a lot of NFl teams followed that blue print.(real reason they stopped doing what they did)

Again IF the Jets were confident thaT Barnes, Coples, Muhammad Wilkerson , and Sheldon Richardson could get to the Qb consistently than there would be no need to try and generate a way to get to the Qb.

The Jets don't have a proven pass rusher ( takes more than 5.5 sacks a year) and Jmo they know can't let a Qb sit back there because this defense isn't as talented as it once was, and they will get exposed.
    Keep saying it. The Jets defense will have big troubles stopping the pass in 2013.
    Last edited by Raider9175; 06-28-2013 at 08:03 AM.