Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 63

Thread: Bringing the Sopne to Wrigley

  1. #41
    Quote Originally Posted by Lithfan View Post
    I agree with others that a Sox game/Sox Park is nothing special. If you and the kids are really into baseball and don't mind a day trip from Chicago -- Miller Park in Milwaukee is only a 90 minute drive from downtown and it is a great place to watch a game. Also a great environment for tailgating beforehand and tickets are cheaper than either Wrigley or the Cell.

    If you can head up there, you gotta stop at the Brat Stop in Kenosha on the way back and you will find that Wisconsin brats are way better than the overrated (IMO) Chicago Hot Dog.

    I live closer to Chicago than Milwaukee, but I make the trip up to Milwaukee all the time for baseball.
    This is a good point - having been to all three - Cubs, Sox, Brewers - Wrigley and Miller would be #1 & 2 on my list to see... you're going to see crappy baseball at any of them, depending on who's in town, but the home teams are all lousy.

    I know my main reason for having wanted to catch a Sox game was to add to the list of places I've seen MLB games - it certainly wasn't overly impressive, not great, not bad, just.... regular. If that makes sense.

  2. #42
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    The depths of Despair.
    Posts
    40,532
    Quote Originally Posted by Brooklyn Jet View Post
    I went once while in Chicago for work, with a bunch of colleagues... mostly goofy looking business people, from various parts of the US. Train, into the stadium, back to the train, everything was fine. I wouldn't worry unless any plans to wander off from the stadium, and then, why would you?
    No wandering for that game.

    Quote Originally Posted by Lithfan View Post
    I agree with others that a Sox game/Sox Park is nothing special. If you and the kids are really into baseball and don't mind a day trip from Chicago -- Miller Park in Milwaukee is only a 90 minute drive from downtown and it is a great place to watch a game. Also a great environment for tailgating beforehand and tickets are cheaper than either Wrigley or the Cell.

    If you can head up there, you gotta stop at the Brat Stop in Kenosha on the way back and you will find that Wisconsin brats are way better than the overrated (IMO) Chicago Hot Dog.

    I live closer to Chicago than Milwaukee, but I make the trip up to Milwaukee all the time for baseball.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brooklyn Jet View Post
    This is a good point - having been to all three - Cubs, Sox, Brewers - Wrigley and Miller would be #1 & 2 on my list to see... you're going to see crappy baseball at any of them, depending on who's in town, but the home teams are all lousy.

    I know my main reason for having wanted to catch a Sox game was to add to the list of places I've seen MLB games - it certainly wasn't overly impressive, not great, not bad, just.... regular. If that makes sense.
    I think my son is keyed on seeing different parks, he owns Jerseys and hats from different teams (weird, I know, but all the local kids here do it)


  3. #43
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Vermont
    Posts
    24,109
    Quote Originally Posted by 32green View Post
    No wandering for that game.





    I think my son is keyed on seeing different parks, he owns Jerseys and hats from different teams (weird, I know, but all the local kids here do it)

    then you should go

  4. #44
    Quote Originally Posted by 32green View Post
    I think my son is keyed on seeing different parks, he owns Jerseys and hats from different teams (weird, I know, but all the local kids here do it)

    Definitely go to both then. And not so weird. I see kids all the time in all kinds of hats and jerseys. Gone are the days of not caring that your beat up Mets hat didn't match what you were wearing I guess.

  5. #45
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    The depths of Despair.
    Posts
    40,532
    Quote Originally Posted by Brooklyn Jet View Post
    Definitely go to both then. And not so weird. I see kids all the time in all kinds of hats and jerseys. Gone are the days of not caring that your beat up Mets hat didn't match what you were wearing I guess.


    I drew the line with Giant stuff and Met stuff. I saw him eye-balling a Matt Harvey jersey in Modells and told him that would be the height of front runner-ism, even though we both love the way the kid pitches. I would have no problem if he had been a Met fan previously ( I grew up in a Yankee home surrounded by Met fan friends, so I never root against the Mets unless its head to head).

    Cant blame the kids, even half the players dont take team allegiance too seriously anymore.

    -

  6. #46
    Quote Originally Posted by 32green View Post
    No wandering for that game.





    I think my son is keyed on seeing different parks, he owns Jerseys and hats from different teams (weird, I know, but all the local kids here do it)

    FUBU jerseys with hat askew?


  7. #47
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Un-Pleasantville
    Posts
    6,771
    Quote Originally Posted by Timmy® View Post
    LOL at Mr. Sophistication giving out an Old Style Rec
    Just tailoring the message to the recipient - targeting 101

    notice I left out the Polish Museum

  8. #48
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Vermont
    Posts
    24,109
    Quote Originally Posted by Jungle Shift Jet View Post
    Just tailoring the message to the recipient - targeting 101
    very true

  9. #49
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    The depths of Despair.
    Posts
    40,532
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernie View Post
    FUBU jerseys with hat askew?

    I think thats more for the Garden City freckled faced Gangsta's.




    -

  10. #50
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    The depths of Despair.
    Posts
    40,532
    Quote Originally Posted by Timmy® View Post
    very true
    Suck it, Daryl and Daryl.

    -

  11. #51
    Quote Originally Posted by 32green View Post


    I drew the line with Giant stuff and Met stuff. I saw him eye-balling a Matt Harvey jersey in Modells and told him that would be the height of front runner-ism, even though we both love the way the kid pitches. I would have no problem if he had been a Met fan previously ( I grew up in a Yankee home surrounded by Met fan friends, so I never root against the Mets unless its head to head).

    Cant blame the kids, even half the players dont take team allegiance too seriously anymore.

    -
    Bad enough my daughter now roots for the Capitals over the Rangers and the Nationals BUT, she went to UNC and talks non stop about Matt Harvey.



    So far.... She is still a JETS fan. Gotta replace her Sanchez jersey with a Coples this season.

  12. #52
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    The depths of Despair.
    Posts
    40,532
    Got back last night, had an awesome trip. Did the Weber grill (It was attached to our Hotel, lol) and Rock Bottom Grill as per recs. here.
    Topped it off with the Architectural Boat tour before our flight home yesterday, which was perfect. I stayed on Grand and didnt have to walk far for a good restaurant and the train was literally beneath us, I'd recomment the Hilton Garden Inn to anyone, about 199 a night. FIve dollar train ride from the airport, stops on the corner...no car, no hassles and everything is within walking distance.

    As far as the boat tour...tHe Sopne was understandibly a bit apprehensive at teh name "architectural" so I had to keep saying "circle line for non-mouth-breathers" to coax him aboard. He actually enjoyed it and passed the quiz my ball-busting friend laid on him at tours end. Well worth the 30 or so bucks it cost and the weather held up. If you go later in the afternoon, they do have a bar with cheap drinks, I abstained because it was too early. Breathtaking architecture, and I'm not a city guy....

    Both baseball stadiums were as advertised, though good luck looking for any indication on the subway maps that there are stadiums along the lines. CLosest thing I saw was a little cubby insignia. Anyhoo, US cellular and its surroundings was eerlly devoid of any type of character, excitment, tradition (I know, I know...I was warned) Game was fine, people were nice, sopne was happy, but I would never venture to that Crypt again. Sopne checked it off on his list, which was the important thing.

    Wrigley on the other hand was as advertised. Hair standing up on the back of your neck type stuff if you are a baseball fan. I never quite grasped how many of the surrounding buildings had bleachers built onto the roofs, its insane, I think we stopped counting at 20...
    I think each held at least 100 folks...do the math on that...they all charge admission, have bar service...and they all have the balls to protest that the CUbs want to expand the stadium and perhaps block their free views that they make a ton of dough on which the CUbs dont see a dime of ? Laughable, though its an entertaining spectacle to see from within teh confines of Wrigley. We talked our way into the left field bleachers and had a ball. Reminded me of Fenway without the fear of a cold-cocked fist from behind.

    The Navy pier was cheesey, but the fireworks were awesome. Its a nice place if you have youngins, enjoy a cocktail and like to people-watch. I wasnt expecting high-culture there and i certainly didnt get it.

    Thanks all for the recs, two thumbs up.


    P.s.
    My moronic low point ( I always have at least one) was misreading the friggin tourist map and making a right instead of a left when I stepped out for my 7 a.m. walk whilst the SOpne completed his teen death sleep....thinking I was heading towards Riverside Drive, I walked about 6 miles the other way on Grand until the city was but a distant shadow and my surroundings quickly turned into a barren ROad Warrior territory complete with misshappen miscreants lurking about and cars doing a slow drive-by inspection of the eejit cheerily jaunting through the wilderness like a newborn lamb wobbling cluelessly towards the African watering hole. I knew about a mile in the I had probably screwed up, but I dont ask directions and I dint bring the farging map. Thick donkey skulls dont leave much room for brains.

    ANyhoo, luckily for me I had a metro type pass and Grand had a regular bus that passed every 10 minutes or so I did the wise thing and hopped the frieght back towards civilization, ploppng next to some sweet smelling honey on the way into work. My fear- sweat and metabolized alcohol breath must have turned her on because she purposely ignored my stares and gutteral swallow noises. I know she wanted me though. If you are reading this, Pm me baby.

  13. #53
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Posts
    5,714
    If you wrote a travelogue for famous cities, I'd read them. Especially the bumbling around through the ghetto parts.

  14. #54
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    19,418
    Sounds like you had a good time - glad to hear. Did you get the bizarre smell of chocolate on the boat tour? There's a chocolate factory somewhere downtown (may not have been cranking on a Sunday) but when you don't know what's going on until they tell you.

    Cool trip - There are bunch of cities that I would like to take the 72 hour of - Austin and Charleston come immediately to mind.

  15. #55
    Quote Originally Posted by 32green View Post
    P.s.
    My moronic low point ( I always have at least one) was misreading the friggin tourist map and making a right instead of a left when I stepped out for my 7 a.m. walk whilst the SOpne completed his teen death sleep....thinking I was heading towards Riverside Drive, I walked about 6 miles the other way on Grand until the city was but a distant shadow and my surroundings quickly turned into a barren ROad Warrior territory complete with misshappen miscreants lurking about and cars doing a slow drive-by inspection of the eejit cheerily jaunting through the wilderness like a newborn lamb wobbling cluelessly towards the African watering hole. I knew about a mile in the I had probably screwed up, but I dont ask directions and I dint bring the farging map. Thick donkey skulls dont leave much room for brains.

    ANyhoo, luckily for me I had a metro type pass and Grand had a regular bus that passed every 10 minutes or so I did the wise thing and hopped the frieght back towards civilization, ploppng next to some sweet smelling honey on the way into work. My fear- sweat and metabolized alcohol breath must have turned her on because she purposely ignored my stares and gutteral swallow noises. I know she wanted me though. If you are reading this, Pm me baby.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwBoa-NbNL8

  16. #56
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    742 Evergreen Terrace
    Posts
    11,561
    Didn't venture up to the Viagra Triangle to ogle some ho-bags soliciting their sniz in the hopes of bagging Mr. Right (read self-important business twit)?

  17. #57
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Staten Island
    Posts
    9,098
    Quote Originally Posted by 32green View Post
    I walked about 6 miles the other way on Grand until the city was but a distant shadow and my surroundings quickly turned into a barren ROad Warrior territory complete with misshappen miscreants lurking about and cars doing a slow drive-by inspection of the eejit cheerily jaunting through the wilderness like a newborn lamb wobbling cluelessly towards the African watering hole.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonhomme Richard View Post
    If you wrote a travelogue for famous cities, I'd read them. Especially the bumbling around through the ghetto parts.
    So this. That quote above is Peterman gold.

  18. #58
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    In The Cone of Doom
    Posts
    7,129
    Pics or it never happened. We're tired of these fairy tales.

  19. #59
    CHEEZBORGER CHEEZBORGER!!!

  20. #60
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    The depths of Despair.
    Posts
    40,532
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonhomme Richard View Post
    If you wrote a travelogue for famous cities, I'd read them. Especially the bumbling around through the ghetto parts.
    Ha ha...

    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    Sounds like you had a good time - glad to hear. Did you get the bizarre smell of chocolate on the boat tour? There's a chocolate factory somewhere downtown (may not have been cranking on a Sunday)
    Yeah, the chocolate factory was humming (it was yesterday....thursday). COuldnt see it, but you could smell it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jets Things View Post
    Didn't venture up to the Viagra Triangle to ogle some ho-bags soliciting their sniz in the hopes of bagging Mr. Right (read self-important business twit)?
    Didnt see the ho's but the lobby of my hotel was constantly filled with self-important business twits doing the blue-toofed phone- stalk back and forth, complete with grand hand gestures and multiple references to "my calender". These phone calls could easiy be done in their farging rooms but noooooo, there must be an audience for these schmucks. If some whoo-ha wants to bang any of those ghoulishly cologned psuedo-entreprenuers for a few sheckles, more power to them.

    Quote Originally Posted by The Boston Patriot View Post
    Pics or it never happened. We're tired of these fairy tales.
    Then move on, by all means.


Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us