Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bringing the Sopne to Wrigley

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Post Thanks / Like

Bringing the Sopne to Wrigley

For his 16 birthday. Huge BB fan. Got two other fathers and their sons to go too.

Planning a mid week trip mid-August, catch the White Sox one day and then the Cubs the next.

First time in Chicago for us.

ANy recommendations as far as transportation/lodging/ eats?

Please no racist comments from Timmmmy.

-

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Can't offer any suggestions, never been there. But sounds like a damned fun trip. Enjoy !

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Bring a gun for the Sox game and an extra liver for Wrigley.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    South Side, Chicago? Oooof.

Can you carry out of state?

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jets Things View Post
    Bring a gun for the Sox game and an extra liver for Wrigley.
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    South Side, Chicago? Oooof.

Can you carry out of state?
    Lol...Will not be armed for this trip, but luckily I still have the habit of looking mutts right in the eyeballs...which trips their Mutt radar and they avoid interaction. I spent 12 years in Harlem, one in So. Ozone park, and one in Coney Island...so I'm not worried. I'm actually in more danger of getting cold cocked by a bleary eyed donk in a bar.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    On a flt today at 4:55 to Chicago, hoping to catch a game. I wish I could bring my son.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 32green View Post
    Lol...Will not be armed for this trip, but luckily I still have the habit of looking mutts right in the eyeballs...which trips their Mutt radar and they avoid interaction. I spent 12 years in Harlem, one in So. Ozone park, and one in Coney Island...so I'm not worried. I'm actually in more danger of getting cold cocked by a bleary eyed donk in a bar.

If you are going to stay downtown, you have an easy train ride to both stadiums -- either north to Wrigley or south to the Cell. Neighborhood around US Cellular is lousy, but you shouldn't have any problem getting to or from the game. Both the train and the stadium are safe. I have never had a problem going to a Sox game, just wouldn't want to wander around the neighborhood before or after like you can up by Wrigley.

If you have never been to Wrigley before, it is a treat.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    All that way for a pack of gum?

Weber Grill, Lawry's (bar for lunch), Smoque, Lou Malnati's or Giordano's for deep dish, Hot Doug's, Al's Italian Beef, Chicago/11 City Diners, Lou Mitchell's breakfast

Water Taxi, Willis/Sears Sky Deck, Neo-Futurists Improv, 2nd City, Mrs. O'Leary's Barn, N. Avenue Beach

Old Style
    Last edited by Jungle Shift Jet; 06-23-2013 at 01:31 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Comfort Suites at 320 N. Michigan Ave is a nice place in a great location. I remember the AAA rate being pretty reasonable for Chicago in the summer.
    Personally. I'd like to stay on, or within a couple of blocks of Michigan Avenue - say between 300 and 900 north. I'd prefer staying in places that are listed
    in areas designated as Mag Mile or River North or Water Tower. I'd rather not stay in the Loop, although it would be ok. Definitely don't stay in the McCormick Place area - too isolated. Getting to the ballparks are easy. I'd definitely head to Wrigley a couple hours early and take in the atmosphere. Just eat anywhere around the park. Just go to Sox park and leave. They do have good food, better than Wrigley. The annoying way southsiders pronounce their A's grates on me even more than the way Philadelphia people pronounce their O's.

I always reccomend the Chicago Architectural tour cruise. Kind of expensive
    -really kickazz ride on a sunny day. Best way to see downtown. If not a nice day I'd skip it.

http://www.chicagoline.com/

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Timmy® View Post
    -really kickazz ride on a sunny day. Best way to see downtown. If not a nice day I'd skip it.
    This. Only been to Chicago once and I did the architectural boat cruise and it was really cool. Great way to see the city. I honestly had no idea that Chicago had multiple rivers running through it.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Comfort Suites at 320 N. Michigan Ave is a nice place in a great location. I remember the AAA rate being pretty reasonable for Chicago in the summer.
    Personally. I'd like to stay on, or within a couple of blocks of Michigan Avenue - say between 300 and 900 north. I'd prefer staying in places that are listed
    in areas designated as Mag Mile or River North or Water Tower. I'd rather not stay in the Loop, although it would be ok. Definitely don't stay in the McCormick Place area - too isolated.
    Can confirm. Stayed at Crown Plaza Magnificent Mile two weeks ago and it was fine. I'm in Chicago once a quarter and I always stay near N. Michigan Ave. Easy to get to most places.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Stayed at the Renaissance down by the river. Take your sopne on one of those boat tours

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Can confirm. Stayed at Crown Plaza Magnificent Mile two weeks ago and it was fine. I'm in Chicago once a quarter and I always stay near N. Michigan Ave. Easy to get to most places.
    Have you been to Navy Pier? I've always found it cheezy, which is a shame since it's a gorgeous building and location. I haven't been there in a while though.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Have you been to Navy Pier? I've always found it cheezy, which is a shame since it's a gorgeous building and location. I haven't been there in a while though.
    I've been there. It's like the Santa Monica pier but with Vice Lords instead of MS-13. Ha, actually it's not that bad. Definitely cheesy and there's always some moron in my office pushing to go there, but I'm like "Daddy's gotta get to Wrigleyville to drink if he's gonna make it through a Cubs game."

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I've been there. It's like the Santa Monica pier but with Vice Lords instead of MS-13. Ha, actually it's not that bad. Definitely cheesy and there's always some moron in my office pushing to go there, but I'm like "Daddy's gotta get to Wrigleyville to drink if he's gonna make it through a Cubs game."
    do you drink scotch?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    do you drink scotch?
    Not every day.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Post Thanks / Like
    in areas designated as Mag Mile or River North or Water Tower. I'd rather not stay in the Loop, although it would be ok. Definitely don't stay in the McCormick Place area - too isolated. Getting to the ballparks are easy. I'd definitely head to Wrigley a couple hours early and take in the atmosphere. Just eat anywhere around the park. Just go to Sox park and leave. They do have good food, better than Wrigley. The annoying way southsiders pronounce their A's grates on me even more than the way Philadelphia people pronounce their O's.

http://www.chicagoline.com/
    Thanks, skippy. We are leaving late the day after the Cubs day game so we have time for the cruise, will def, check it out.
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    This. Only been to Chicago once and I did the architectural boat cruise and it was really cool. Great way to see the city. I honestly had no idea that Chicago had multiple rivers running through it.
    Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post
    Stayed at the Renaissance down by the river. Take your sopne on one of those boat tours
    Thanks all.

Have taken your recs under consideration, also I just got recs for the Springhill Suites on Dearborn and the Hilton Garden on Grand. Any opinion on those?

Really looking forward to this.

-

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    also I just got recs for the Springhill Suites on Dearborn and the Hilton Garden on Grand. Any opinion on those?

-
    don't know the hotels, but good locations

check them out on tripadvisor

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, skippy. We are leaving late the day after the Cubs day game so we have time for the cruise, will def, check it out.

Thanks all.

Have taken your recs under consideration, also I just got recs for the Springhill Suites on Dearborn and the Hilton Garden on Grand. Any opinion on those?

Really looking forward to this.

-
    Both are located in excellent spots and you would do well at either. I stay at Renaissance when in Chicago for its perfect location on the Chicago River. But those hotels are very close by.

GREAT city.... And yes, the architectural tour is a must.

Try The Corner Bakery for breakfast or lunch. It is like a Panera but excellent. I ALWAYS go there for Suisse oatmeal. Like rice pudding but oatmeal, yogurt etc. They are in certain cities like Chicago, DC, Atlanta.

The WEBER grill restaurant, google it. Great hot spot for dinner.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    Bo

The WEBER grill restaurant, google it. Great hot spot for dinner.
    Great call for father and sons. I didn't know they had one in the city - I used to go to one in the burbs