Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bringing the Sopne to Wrigley

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Green, the outside/street of the Tribune building is a hell of a History lesson. DO check it out!

Jets Insider VIP
    Great Mexican restaurant..Rick Bayless the owner..Topolobampo...great for fathers and sopnes and rest of families too

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    Both are located in excellent spots and you would do well at either. I stay at Renaissance when in Chicago for its perfect location on the Chicago River. But those hotels are very close by.

GREAT city.... And yes, the architectural tour is a must.

Try The Corner Bakery for breakfast or lunch. It is like a Panera but excellent. I ALWAYS go there for Suisse oatmeal. Like rice pudding but oatmeal, yogurt etc. They are in certain cities like Chicago, DC, Atlanta.

The WEBER grill restaurant, google it. Great hot spot for dinner.
    Quote Originally Posted by Timmy® View Post
    Great call for father and sons. I didn't know they had one in the city - I used to go to one in the burbs
    Quote Originally Posted by BURGERMIKE View Post
    Green, the outside/street of the Tribune building is a hell of a History lesson. DO check it out!
    Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post
    Great Mexican restaurant..Rick Bayless the owner..Topolobampo...great for fathers and sopnes and rest of families too
    Awesome, fellas. Exactly the stuff I need. Writing it all down.

Timmmy, can I visit the scene of whatever happened that you had to run to Vermont and become a Jet fan?

I'm guessing a paper bag, some sort of skunk weed, a football jersey and a form of public transportation was involved.

-

All League
    Honest opinion from a non Cub or Pale Hoser, skip the Sox game and go to Wrigley twice. Sit in the bleachers once, any other seat the 2nd time. Go to Murphy's to pre game one day, the Cubby Bear the next. As far as eats, try Chicago Pizza and Oven Grinder on Clark, get the Pizza Pot Pie.

US Cellular and that Southside neighborhood is not worth it.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Quote Originally Posted by iahawkeyejet View Post
    I keep hearing this.

-

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by 32green View Post
    I keep hearing this.

-
    I make it sound worse than it is...as someone else said,the stadium and train are just fine. It does get sketchy in certain parts around The Cell, but it's no biggy(this is coming from someone that grew up in Mayberry). The combination of the neighborhood and the meh park just never cut the mustard for me, as there are now just stunning parks in the Midwest. It'll be a blast of a trip for all, no doubt about it though, sounds awesome.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

I make it sound worse than it is...as someone else said,the stadium and train are just fine. It does get sketchy in certain parts around The Cell, but it's no biggy(this is coming from someone that grew up in Mayberry). The combination of the neighborhood and the meh park just never cut the mustard for me, as there are now just stunning parks in the Midwest. It'll be a blast of a trip for all, no doubt about it though, sounds awesome.
    We're Yankee/SHea Stadium alumni (me since the early 70's...)

We are used to bee-lining it from the train into the stadium with an occasional pitstop in the Yankee tavern or the Dugout.

I did the Cleveland Indians stadium last month (awesome good time) and thats another place you dont want to stray too far from.

Jets Insider VIP

We are used to bee-lining it from the train into the stadium with an occasional pitstop in the Yankee tavern or the Dugout.

I did the Cleveland Indians stadium last month (awesome good time) and thats another place you dont want to stray too far from.
    For any baseball travel fans....

off topic but went to a NATS game Thursday.

Great weekend trip, DC, Nats game.

My daughter took a job in DC and has become quite the NATS fan.

All Pro
    Honest opinion from a non Cub or Pale Hoser, skip the Sox game and go to Wrigley twice. Sit in the bleachers once, any other seat the 2nd time. Go to Murphy's to pre game one day, the Cubby Bear the next. As far as eats, try Chicago Pizza and Oven Grinder on Clark, get the Pizza Pot Pie.

Great suggestion -- place is awesome, far better than Chicago deep dish in my opinion.

Hall Of Fame

The Sox Stadium was one of the last boring, non descript stadiums. Right after it was built in 91, the Orioles built Camden Yards and that set a new tone for baseball Stadiums. It's ok, a good place to watch a baseball game. I just looked at a picture of it and it looks like the added a few nice touches to it. Would be nice if you had some interest in the game. Like if the Sox were playing a Yankee Division rival or something.

Depends on how much of a baseball purist are you. The neighborhood or train ride are non issues.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Lithfan View Post
    Great suggestion -- place is awesome, far better than Chicago deep dish in my opinion.
    Agreed....awesome stuff.

Veteran
    You have to be there a week to hit all the food places... but you could just hit the absolute best....
    Genos east... deep dish
    Giordinos ... stuffed pasta and overstuffed sandwichs
    Als famous Italian. .. any sandwich but I'd go Italian Beef with Jardiner (best samich eva)
    Billygoats Tavern... what else??? Cheeburger Cheeburger and go ahead, ask for a Coke.
    Harey Careys for beer and wings
    That should do ya.

Its worth going, just to eat. Someday I'll come to NY to just eat.... and watch the Jets of course.

Jets Insider VIP
    If you're craving crappy baseball - stay in NYC and watch the Mets!

....and yes I am a Mets fan.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Peebag View Post
    If you're craving crappy baseball - stay in NYC and watch the Mets!

....and yes I am a Mets fan.
    Not to put too much stock in it yet but for the last two weeks of this season, crappier baseball in NYC has been played a bit north and across the bridge from Citifield. And Harvey/Wheeler at least give hope that the crappiness might someday end

As far as Chicagoland is concerned, however, Wrigley remains a must see bucket list "to do" regardless of the crappiness of the baseball.

All League
    Although people think I'm from Chicago, I've only been to OHare.

I hear, though, that Chicago hot dogs are the best. There's a neighborhood for some of the bet hotdogs. I forget the name. Google it, you lazy bastid.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Jungle Shift Jet View Post
    All that way for a pack of gum?

Weber Grill, Lawry's (bar for lunch), Smoque, Lou Malnati's or Giordano's for deep dish, Hot Doug's, Al's Italian Beef, Chicago/11 City Diners, Lou Mitchell's breakfast

Water Taxi, Willis/Sears Sky Deck, Neo-Futurists Improv, 2nd City, Mrs. O'Leary's Barn, N. Avenue Beach

Old Style
    LOL at Mr. Sophistication giving out an Old Style Rec

I keep hearing this.

-
    I went once while in Chicago for work, with a bunch of colleagues... mostly goofy looking business people, from various parts of the US. Train, into the stadium, back to the train, everything was fine. I wouldn't worry unless any plans to wander off from the stadium, and then, why would you?

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Big L View Post
    Although people think I'm from Chicago, I've only been to OHare.

I hear, though, that Chicago hot dogs are the best. There's a neighborhood for some of the bet hotdogs. I forget the name. Google it, you lazy bastid.
    It' Avondale - which is where, as Jungle mentioned, Hot Dougs is.

Hot Doug's - The Sausage Superstore and Encased Meat Emporium (there can be long lines)
    Last edited by Timmy®; 06-25-2013 at 09:17 AM.

All Pro
    I agree with others that a Sox game/Sox Park is nothing special. If you and the kids are really into baseball and don't mind a day trip from Chicago -- Miller Park in Milwaukee is only a 90 minute drive from downtown and it is a great place to watch a game. Also a great environment for tailgating beforehand and tickets are cheaper than either Wrigley or the Cell.

If you can head up there, you gotta stop at the Brat Stop in Kenosha on the way back and you will find that Wisconsin brats are way better than the overrated (IMO) Chicago Hot Dog.

I live closer to Chicago than Milwaukee, but I make the trip up to Milwaukee all the time for baseball.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Lithfan View Post
    I agree with others that a Sox game/Sox Park is nothing special. If you and the kids are really into baseball and don't mind a day trip from Chicago -- Miller Park in Milwaukee is only a 90 minute drive from downtown and it is a great place to watch a game. Also a great environment for tailgating beforehand and tickets are cheaper than either Wrigley or the Cell.

If you can head up there, you gotta stop at the Brat Stop in Kenosha on the way back and you will find that Wisconsin brats are way better than the overrated (IMO) Chicago Hot Dog.

I live closer to Chicago than Milwaukee, but I make the trip up to Milwaukee all the time for baseball.
    Love the tailgating at Wisconsin sporting events. Probably best in the country.

Wisconsin brat and Chicago Vienna beef - apples and oranges.

I'm not a big fan of Miller Park though - I like the old one better. Feels too indoorsy even with the roof open.

Next time I'm in Milwaukee I'm going to kill a Sauerbraten at Karl Ratzsch's.
    Last edited by Timmy®; 06-25-2013 at 10:10 AM.