Thread: When will the U.S. get serious with these people?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

When will the U.S. get serious with these people?

How does this scumbags previous charges only warrant a YEAR IN COUNTY JAIL. WTF?

http://www.cnn.com/2013/06/22/us/flo...html?hpt=hp_t2

(CNN) -- The body of an 8-year-old girl who was abducted Friday night from a Walmart in Jacksonville, Florida, was discovered Saturday morning, police said.
    "This is a transition from an abduction investigation to a murder investigation," Jacksonville Sheriff's Office spokesman Shannon Hartley told reporters. "Obviously, we have the unfortunate answer that we didn't want to have."
    Donald James Smith, 56, faces kidnapping and murder and charges. He was listed as being held without bond Saturday night.
    Smith is a registered sex offender who was released from custody on May 31, according to Michael Williams, director of the sheriff's investigations department. Authorities from the sheriff's office had just made contact with him to verify his address on Friday morning, Williams said.
    Later that same day, a woman called police to report that her daughter was missing from the Walmart.

Suspect Donald James Smith has "a very extensive criminal history" that includes a kidnapping conviction.
    Authorities initially called on the public to help find Charish Lilly Perriwinkle, who had been wearing an orange sundress, purple flip-flops and a pink ribbon when she went missing.
    After the investigation revealed that the girl had been abducted, an Amber Alert was activated, Hartley said. He identified Smith, "a man with a very extensive criminal history" that included a kidnapping conviction, as a suspect.
    Williams said the girl's mother first met Smith on Friday night at a local Dollar General store, where he offered to take the family to Walmart to buy them some clothes.
    "After being inside the store for a couple hours, the man then offered to buy some hamburgers," Williams told reporters. "As he walked to the front of the store, he took our 8-year-old victim with him. They walked to the front of the Walmart toward the McDonald's. They did not stop at the McDonald's. They walked outside, got in his van and left the location."
    On Saturday morning, police stopped Smith, 56, as he drove a white van southbound on I-95 in Jacksonville and detained him without incident, Hartley said.
    "Obviously, having Mr. Smith in custody is a huge break for us," he said as the search for the girl was continuing. "We are very confident that he was the one that took her from the Walmart."
    Soon after, Hartley said in a subsequent news conference, police followed a lead that took them four miles from the Walmart to a church, near which the child's body was discovered.
    According to records from the Duval County Clerk of Courts, Smith's most recent convictions occurred last year on charges from 2009 for unlawful impersonation of a public employee and aggravated child abuse by willful torture, for which he was sentenced to a year in county jail.
    "The first thing I would tell you is, as a parent, hug your children closely right now and know where they're at," Hartley said. "Just pay attention to them, keep them close."

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    But a handful of oxy can get you 3-5 in some states. Just a dumb country.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by brady's a catcher View Post
    But a handful of oxy can get you 3-5 in some states. Just a dumb country.
    Complete bullsht no question....a person with substance abuse issues that gets caught with a few pills or a bag of powder will get smoked but this sick prick gets a year for molesting kids?!?!?!

Sent from my Galaxy S4 via Tapatalk

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I've been going off on this topic here on the forums for the past couple of months. These freaking judges give child predators short sentences. Its unbelievable. If the libs were truly worried about murder and crime they would take up this cause instead of worrying about gun control BS. There needs to be mandatory sentencing for assaults against children and our judicial system needs to stop worrying about pot smokers and deal with these predators. Its sickening

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by chiefst2000 View Post
    I've been going off on this topic here on the forums for the past couple of months. These freaking judges give child predators short sentences. Its unbelievable. If the libs were truly worried about murder and crime they would take up this cause instead of worrying about gun control BS. There needs to be mandatory sentencing for assaults against children and our judicial system needs to stop worrying about pot smokers and deal with these predators. Its sickening
    Yes, its the libs fault for sure.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Politicans care.

They care that the child abuser/mollester/murderer is able to vote in elections.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Oh it's a political issue now? Libs are soft on child predators? Ridiculous....

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Oh yes because liberals dont mind when a babys raped body is found.

Guys like you are the problem buddy

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cr726 View Post
    Oh it's a political issue now? Libs are soft on child predators? Ridiculous....
    Who generally advocates for restoration of voting rights of felons?

Who generally advocates for removal/end of the death penalty?

Who generally decries Prison conditions as "crual and unusual"?

Who generally advocates for shorter sentences, or medical-based treatement of thngs like drug crimes or mental disorders?

Who generally advocates for rehabilitation over punishment?

Generally speaking, yes, Liberals are "softer" on punishment than conservatives are, yes. Didn't think that was news, per se. It's a different way of thinking about how to handle crime is all.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Generalizing is easy without facts.

This poor girl was taken by a man who be-friended this 8 year old girl and her mother at a dollar store. This animal offers to take them to Wal-Mart and buy them stuff. This poor girl was murdered and it's a liberal problem? Wow, just wow.

I have a 8 year old daughter, this is absolutely horrific.
    Quote Originally Posted by Churchill View Post
    Who generally advocates for restoration of voting rights of felons?

Who generally advocates for removal/end of the death penalty?

Who generally decries Prison conditions as "crual and unusual"?

Who generally advocates for shorter sentences, or medical-based treatement of thngs like drug crimes or mental disorders?

Who generally advocates for rehabilitation over punishment?

Generally speaking, yes, Liberals are "softer" on punishment than conservatives are, yes. Didn't think that was news, per se. It's a different way of thinking about how to handle crime is all.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

This poor girl was taken by a man who be-friended this 8 year old girl and her mother at a dollar store. This animal offers to take them to Wal-Mart and buy them stuff. This poor girl was murdered and it's a liberal problem? Wow, just wow.

I terribly sad and horrific. It also makes you wonder how this scum was out on the street after victimizing a child already. It's reasonable to bemoan the liberal sentence the liberal judge gave him, no?

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    A brief google search would show quite clearly which side promotes more often and more consistently and more aggressively the various policies I laid out.

This poor girl was murdered and it's a liberal problem?
    I didn't say that, did I?

If one looks at the broader picture, there is an argument that yes, being softer on crime punishment promotes crime.

In the same vein, one could argue that being softer on welfare, mental health services and education promotes crime, so conservatives are to blame.

Of course it is, no one here disagrees with that, do they?

I don't even need to tell people I have kids to be disgusted about it.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

It's terribly sad and horrific. It also makes you wonder how this scum was out on the street after victimizing a child already. It's reasonable to bemoan the liberal sentence the liberal judge gave him, no?

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by brady's a catcher View Post
    I terribly sad and horrific. It also makes you wonder how this scum was out on the street after victimizing a child already. It's reasonable to bemoan the liberal sentence the liberal judge gave him, no?
    It's an assumption, Florida isn't exactly a liberal hot bed.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Speaking of crime and punishment.....here is one prominent person who wouldn't execute the offender in the OP no matter how many times he did what he did or how clear cut his guilt.

He blames us all....apparently we didn't love or support the OP offender enough, so it's OUR fault.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/06/24/opinio...html?hpt=hp_t4