Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!

Thread: My first money league draft of the season

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

My first money league draft of the season

OK, over the weekend I did my first money league draft of the season. I'll join 4-5 more before the fantasy draft season is done.

This was a 12 team league with a full 1 point per reception. 1QB, 2 RB, 3WR 1 Flex, D,K. I started with pick #6.

Rd 1 Jamal Charles, - Megatron was off the board, Choice was between Charles, Ray Rice, Lynch and Shady. Lynch is the best of the backs but because it was PPR I went with Charles here.

Rd 2 Julio Jones - Marshall, Green and Bryant already off the board. My dtrategy was to grab elite WR's early (ppr reasons) so Jones was the next best guy here.
    Rd 3 Vincent Jackson - Continuing the top flight WR strategy here I grabbed Jackson. Roddy White was still on the board but 2 Altanta WR's seems like a stretch
    RD 4 - Reggie Wayne - Computer went down between picks 3 and four. This was a scramble of restarting, getting the dreaded (start windows in safe mode message) waiting and sweating. By the time I was back in the draft room it way my pick and there was 43 seconds left. I checked my WR rankings and Wayne was the next best guy so I grabbed him here. I had been hoping for Amendola with my WR3 spot but he actually went a few picks before Wayne.

Rd 5 - Leveon Bell RB Pitt- Not a guy I was targeting but RB's had been flying off the board at this point. I needed a starter to plug in to the RB2 spot. Bell was the only player that looks like a full time starter still available so I grabbed him here. I had been hoping for Monte Ball of Denver but he want a few picks earlier. The only other viable option here at RB was Chris Ivory and well I'm a Jets fan but I'm not a fan for fantasy purposes.

RD 6 - Shane Vereen RB Pats - For my flex spot I was happy to grab Vereen here. Pats have no pass catchers this season. I think Vereen gets snaps at RB, gets the Woodhead touches and also some at WR. Vereen is my PPR monster sleeper this season.

Rd 7 - Dennis Pitta TE Baltimore - I like Pitta for PPR purposes this season. TE's were flying off the board at this point. Davis went then someone took Gronk. Pitta was the last of my 2nd tier of TE's still available. In hindsight I wish I could have this pick back. Greg Jennings was still on the board and a depth WR like Jennings would have been fantastic there instead.

RD 8 - QB Russel Wilson - Wilson in round 8 of a 12 team draft? Seems like a bargain here. Guys like Eddie Lacy and Anquan Boldin were considerations here. I chose the starter over depth.

RD 9 QB RG3 - I normally don't grab 2 QB's in a row but RG3 in round 9 was too tempting to pass up. Guys like Isiah Peed and Mikel Leshore were the next two picks. Leshore or RG3 HMMMM... no brainer there.

RD 10 Alshon Jefforey WR - I was hoping for Zac Stacy as a high upside possible starter ar RB. He went the pick before mine. Choice here was between Alshon or Jonathan Stewart RB Panthers. I went with Alshon for the WR depth.

Rd 11 Seattle D - Again a choice here between depth players or a starting position. I normally wait on Defenses but couldn't resist this one.

Rd12 San Fran D - No one great popping out on the board so why not take my #2 rated D here?

Rd 13 Mike Goodson - Could have value in PPR format

Rd 14 Brandon Lafell - WR Panthers - Decent year in 2012 + old guy Steve Smith in front of him = potential breakout year for Lafell. Good risk reward proposition in the 14th round.

Rd 15 - Dustin Keller TE Miami - Maybe Keller is good but Sanchez just sucks? Worth a flyer here.

Rd 16 - Matt Prater K Denver - Denver scores alot

Rd 17 - Marcel Raece - He shined in 2012 when DMC went down. Worth a stash on the bench here

Rd 18 - Jeremy Kerley WR NYJ - Kerley could do well in a PPR format if Sanchez isn't having a meltdown or Geno is starting.

Starting Roster:

Wilson QB
    RB Charles
    RB Bell
    WR Julio Jones
    WR Vincent Jackson
    WR Reggie Wayne
    Flex Vereen
    TE Pitta
    D Seattle
    K Prater

Thoughts?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I really like your receivers and you got a HUGE bargain on those QBs. Not sure why they fell like that, but that's a phenomenal value.

I don't like how thin you are at RB. You might consider a trade -- you've really only got one quality starter... Who knows how things are going to shake out in Pittsburgh? I don't like Pitta at TE either. He's too inconsistent.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Austin View Post
    I really like your receivers and you got a HUGE bargain on those QBs. Not sure why they fell like that, but that's a phenomenal value.

I don't like how thin you are at RB. You might consider a trade -- you've really only got one quality starter... Who knows how things are going to shake out in Pittsburgh? I don't like Pitta at TE either. He's too inconsistent.
    I actually disagree on Pitta, I have him in the top 5 at te. As far as RB goes I would have loved to get some depth there but in a 12 team draft you have to make a choice. Bell is set to be a 3 down back for pitt but its tough to trust a rookie regardless. Looking back I think I will target RB RB RB in the first 3 rounds next time. It is a ppr league and I concentrated on high value wrs but there are way more viable wrs then rbs. Also im Alot higher on vereen then most. I see him as an rb1 in ppr formats. The guy should catch 50 plus receptions and get some runs as well. Brady doesn't have many weapons.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nice team but you need a TE. Pitta is an ok backup at best.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by chiefst2000 View Post
    OK, over the weekend I did my first money league draft of the season. I'll join 4-5 more before the fantasy draft season is done.

This was a 12 team league with a full 1 point per reception. 1QB, 2 RB, 3WR 1 Flex, D,K. I started with pick #6.

Rd 1 Jamal Charles, - Megatron was off the board, Choice was between Charles, Ray Rice, Lynch and Shady. Lynch is the best of the backs but because it was PPR I went with Charles here.

Rd 2 Julio Jones - Marshall, Green and Bryant already off the board. My dtrategy was to grab elite WR's early (ppr reasons) so Jones was the next best guy here.
    Rd 3 Vincent Jackson - Continuing the top flight WR strategy here I grabbed Jackson. Roddy White was still on the board but 2 Altanta WR's seems like a stretch
    RD 4 - Reggie Wayne - Computer went down between picks 3 and four. This was a scramble of restarting, getting the dreaded (start windows in safe mode message) waiting and sweating. By the time I was back in the draft room it way my pick and there was 43 seconds left. I checked my WR rankings and Wayne was the next best guy so I grabbed him here. I had been hoping for Amendola with my WR3 spot but he actually went a few picks before Wayne.

Rd 5 - Leveon Bell RB Pitt- Not a guy I was targeting but RB's had been flying off the board at this point. I needed a starter to plug in to the RB2 spot. Bell was the only player that looks like a full time starter still available so I grabbed him here. I had been hoping for Monte Ball of Denver but he want a few picks earlier. The only other viable option here at RB was Chris Ivory and well I'm a Jets fan but I'm not a fan for fantasy purposes.

RD 6 - Shane Vereen RB Pats - For my flex spot I was happy to grab Vereen here. Pats have no pass catchers this season. I think Vereen gets snaps at RB, gets the Woodhead touches and also some at WR. Vereen is my PPR monster sleeper this season.

Rd 7 - Dennis Pitta TE Baltimore - I like Pitta for PPR purposes this season. TE's were flying off the board at this point. Davis went then someone took Gronk. Pitta was the last of my 2nd tier of TE's still available. In hindsight I wish I could have this pick back. Greg Jennings was still on the board and a depth WR like Jennings would have been fantastic there instead.

RD 8 - QB Russel Wilson - Wilson in round 8 of a 12 team draft? Seems like a bargain here. Guys like Eddie Lacy and Anquan Boldin were considerations here. I chose the starter over depth.

RD 9 QB RG3 - I normally don't grab 2 QB's in a row but RG3 in round 9 was too tempting to pass up. Guys like Isiah Peed and Mikel Leshore were the next two picks. Leshore or RG3 HMMMM... no brainer there.

RD 10 Alshon Jefforey WR - I was hoping for Zac Stacy as a high upside possible starter ar RB. He went the pick before mine. Choice here was between Alshon or Jonathan Stewart RB Panthers. I went with Alshon for the WR depth.

Rd 11 Seattle D - Again a choice here between depth players or a starting position. I normally wait on Defenses but couldn't resist this one.

Rd12 San Fran D - No one great popping out on the board so why not take my #2 rated D here?

Rd 14 Brandon Lafell - WR Panthers - Decent year in 2012 + old guy Steve Smith in front of him = potential breakout year for Lafell. Good risk reward proposition in the 14th round.

Rd 15 - Dustin Keller TE Miami - Maybe Keller is good but Sanchez just sucks? Worth a flyer here.

Rd 17 - Marcel Raece - He shined in 2012 when DMC went down. Worth a stash on the bench here

Rd 18 - Jeremy Kerley WR NYJ - Kerley could do well in a PPR format if Sanchez isn't having a meltdown or Geno is starting.

Starting Roster:

Wilson QB
    RB Charles
    RB Bell
    WR Julio Jones
    WR Vincent Jackson
    WR Reggie Wayne
    Flex Vereen
    TE Pitta
    D Seattle
    K Prater

Thoughts?
    Pretty good team. In all honesty, I am a little concerned about your QBs. Both are 2nd year guys that enjoyed great success as rookies. I think it's entirely possible that each could have a "step back" year. Also RG III is coming off a serious knee injury.

If both QBs continue the same success as last year, you are in great shape.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by detjetsfan View Post
    Nice team but you need a TE. Pitta is an ok backup at best.
    I can't understand the TE criticism here. Pitta is the consensus 5th or 6th rated TE on the board. His upside is fantastic in a PPR considering he could grab some of Boldins targets in an offense that hasn't replaced their possession reciever. Outside of Graham, Witten and Gonzo and maybe Davis there is no one rated higher. I have like Davis over Pitta but alot of folks have it in reverse. Gronk is a major gamble this season with the injury situation and Belli's maddening tendency to list everyone as questionable. Guys like Keller, Winslow Jr and Fred Davis are available via waivers as well.

My draft theory for 2013 is to load up on Backs and top tier WR's then grab QB and TE late. I've done a few drafts since this one. The thing I'd change is having waited to round 5 for my second RB pick. In 12 team leagues with a flex I would prefer to come out of the first 4 rounds with 3 RB's and a WR. There is enough mid round WR talent to fill out a roster but RB's tail off dramatically in the 6th round. My theory on the QB's is basically to wait. Romo is the 11th or 12th ranked guy this season and I'm fine with him. I also like all of the running QB's as they get such a bonus for rushing TD's and yards that even a bad game can net decent points.
    Last edited by chiefst2000; 07-08-2013 at 03:14 PM.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like

Starting Roster:

Wilson QB
    RB Charles
    RB Bell
    WR Julio Jones
    WR Vincent Jackson
    WR Reggie Wayne
    Flex Vereen
    TE Pitta
    D Seattle
    K Prater

Thoughts?

U took Le'Veon Bell over Chris Ivory? That's just plain stupid for a few reasons. I don't like Wayne at all this year but other than that ur team is decent I'd give it a B, B+ area.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I can't understand the TE criticism here.
    Pitta is not a very good yardage TE, but as PPR on a team that just lost their safety blanket in Boldin, he's going to be a solid starting TE. He won't be top 5 or 6 at the end of the season because he's not a red zone threat either, but for a TE that late, it's still fine value.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GangGreen115 View Post
    U took Le'Veon Bell over Chris Ivory? That's just plain stupid for a few reasons. I don't like Wayne at all this year but other than that ur team is decent I'd give it a B, B+ area.
    You like Ivory over Bell? Wow, I definitely disagree there. Could be wrong but Bell is my favorite of the three rookie RB's this season for fantasy purposes. I think G. Bernard is the biggest talent but his playing time is not clear at the moment. Bell seems to be a 3 down back with little to no competition in Pitt. I'm not sure about Ivory's production. Will Ivory get receptions in our offense? Will he play on 3rd down? Will he share touches with Goodsen or Powell? I'm not sure yet. Plus Ivory's injury history leaves me with some concerns. Ball in Denver has big potential as well and could end up with the most production if he is given the chances in Denver. That said Peyton will not deal with RB's that cant block or dont know their assignments and until preseason starts and reports start coming in from Denver regarding Ball he is still a risky pick.

Can I add that I love that people are actually looking at the fantasy forum here on JI and responding to this thread. Lets keep up the conversation and make this forum active for Jets fans that are also fantasy enthusiasts!

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by greenwichjetfan View Post
    Pitta is not a very good yardage TE, but as PPR on a team that just lost their safety blanket in Boldin, he's going to be a solid starting TE. He won't be top 5 or 6 at the end of the season because he's not a red zone threat either, but for a TE that late, it's still fine value.
    In a PPR league if the TE spot gives me 6-8 receptions a game and 60+ yards im happy with the 10-15 points. I prefer consistency in the TE spot. Last season I had Graham, Gronk or Hernandez on various teams and all were very up and down. Thats find when you spend an 8th rounder on them but those guys cost me 2nd or 3rd round picks. Cant afford mediocre stats from 2nd rounders.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GangGreen115 View Post
    If I could have that draft back I'd likely have skipped Wayne there and grabbed a Reggie Bush type player. Wayne is still a PPR beast but I'm not a fan of aging players and considering how Wayne tailed off in the second half of 2012 it is possible that he is in the decline. I think I could have gotten similar production out of a guy like T.Y Hilton or Cecil Shorts a few rounds later for the WR3 spot.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I guess we'll never know what kind of season Pitta would have had, tough break.