Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Snowden: Valid Drone Strike Target or No? And Why?

Snowden: Valid Drone Strike Target or No? And Why?

So, we have a man who broke our highest levels of security, and did (as variously stated by current and former Defense and Intelligence people) untold and massive damage to the security of the United States.

We have a man who fled the United States, went to China, and now cannot be located (some word today he may be in Russia).

By any definition used throughout the "War on Terror", this man could be classified as an enemy combatant and an onging threat to the security fo the United States due to hsi former clearence level and what ELSE he might know or know how to access.

As such, the intellectual question should be asked.....is Snowden a valid target for a U.S. Drone Strike?

As we've discussed previously, his citizenship (for those in favor of drone strikes) and his lack of public trail and finding of guilt are irrelevant to this question. Only his actions and his potential future actions/what he might be planning to do going forward in terms of damaging the U.S. should be considered.

So, assuming he is in a country who will exploit him and/or refuse to extradite him back to the United States......drone strike yes? Or Drone strike no?

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

According to Obama's rules of drone engagement, absolutely... as long as he's in a country that no regular American can find on a map. Pakistan/Afghanistan/etc are all one big lump of nameless "middle east" countries, which are ripe for drones.

Russia, China? No way.

All Pro
    Since it's Chinese territory, I'd say nuke em. Should dust up Snowden in the process... I mean, why be prissy with drones. Really!

I'm personally against the execution of any American citizen who isn't actively involved in some activity that endangers other American citizen.

I don't understand how this situation is different than the other instances in which we've used drone strikes against our own however.

Quote Originally Posted by long island leprechaun View Post
    Since it's Chinese territory, I'd say nuke em. Should dust up Snowden in the process... I mean, why be prissy with drones. Really!
    It's enlightening to see you unable to provide even a remotely serious answer. Really, says all that needs said on the topic from you.

This is a very good question and I honestly don't know, I think this kid ends up dead, but not sure how or who does it.

I agree with Paulie about the location if the U.S decided to utilize drones.

Quote Originally Posted by cr726 View Post
    This is a very good question and I honestly don't know, I think this kid ends up dead, but not sure how or who does it.

I agree with Paulie about the location if the U.S decided to utilize drones.
    I agree as well, which is NOT a good thing.

Basicly means any half-intelligent terrorist/traitor is going to know they'll get assinated if hey flee somewhere we don't fear, hence pushing those folks towards countries we would refuse to "go get them" in, like China and Russia.

Countries, it should be pointed out, who will themselves exploit those people for their own gain if at all possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Churchill View Post
    I agree as well, which is NOT a good thing.

Basicly means any half-intelligent terrorist/traitor is going to know they'll get assinated if hey flee somewhere we don't fear, hence pushing those folks towards countries we would refuse to "go get them" in, like China and Russia.

Countries, it should be pointed out, who will themselves exploit those people for their own gain if at all possible.
    It appears Snowden is making up some stuff too and he basically felt his feelings were more important than the safety of his own country.

Snowden's security clearance investigation should and will be scrutinized again, although too late.

It appears Snowden is making up some stuff too and he basically felt his feelings were more important than the safety of his own country.
    Information is coming out against someone who criticized an organization whose primary job is collecting, processing and manufacturing information. Shocking.

Snowden's security clearance investigation should and will be scrutinized again, although too late.
    Doubt it will turn up anything that would have invalidated him.

But I strongly suspect that "political support for Ron Paul or smilar libertarians" will soon be classified (quietly, and not disclosed publicly) as a disqualifer for top-secret-type clearences.

But I strongly suspect that "political support for Ron Paul or smilar libertarians" will soon be classified (quietly, and not disclosed publicly) as a disqualifer for top-secret-type clearences.
    It doesn't work that way, I just went through my 5 year security clearance and they do dig.

Quote Originally Posted by Axil View Post
    Information is coming out against someone who criticized an organization whose primary job is collecting, processing and manufacturing information. Shocking.
    Except they are using his interviews and what he is saying during those interviews. He was there 3 months.

We all know you can't do a drone strike unless he's out in the countryside somewhere. Also, we wouldn't do it if he's in China or Russia.
    However, we do have assassins (let be realistic). A walk by shooting or poisoning is realistic. Hey, the Russians and Chinese do it all the time.
    BTW, today, the Chinese are demanding full disclosure of the entire NSA data gathering.

All Pro
    It's enlightening to see you unable to provide even a remotely serious answer. Really, says all that needs said on the topic from you.
    I would say the slippery slope of defining who constitutes a "terrorist" or "enemy" among our citizens before any judicial proceeding is actually validation of why such data collection without warrants, based on a secret policy, is dangerous to liberty. You've jumped to "danger" and simply dismissed citizenship and basic rights of the accused. Convenient. And you're supposed to be a libertarian? When, only on Tuesdays?

And you're supposed to be a libertarian? When, only on Tuesdays?
    And as is typical, you mistake asking a question based on previous recent actions, with supporting a position based on that question. I have expressed no support in this thread for any action.

All Pro
    And as is typical, you mistake asking a question based on previous recent actions, with supporting a position based on that question. I have expressed no support in this thread for any action.
    You're as phony as a three dollar bill. the cat-and-mouse thing gets really tiresome. Be direct. You will feel better for it.

You're as phony as a three dollar bill. the cat-and-mouse thing gets really tiresome. Be direct. You will feel better for it.
    When you're finished personally insulting me, you might want to get back on topic and address the question.

You're batting 1.000 thus far.

-Post #1 Non-Serious deflection.
    -Post #2 Straw-Man Misrepresentation
    -Post #3 Off-Topic Personal Attack

So, we have a man who broke our highest levels of security, and did (as variously stated by current and former Defense and Intelligence people) untold and massive damage to the security of the United States.

We have a man who fled the United States, went to China, and now cannot be located (some word today he may be in Russia).

By any definition used throughout the "War on Terror", this man could be classified as an enemy combatant and an onging threat to the security fo the United States due to hsi former clearence level and what ELSE he might know or know how to access.

As such, the intellectual question should be asked.....is Snowden a valid target for a U.S. Drone Strike?

As we've discussed previously, his citizenship (for those in favor of drone strikes) and his lack of public trail and finding of guilt are irrelevant to this question. Only his actions and his potential future actions/what he might be planning to do going forward in terms of damaging the U.S. should be considered.

So, assuming he is in a country who will exploit him and/or refuse to extradite him back to the United States......drone strike yes? Or Drone strike no?
    I'm too dumb. Just tell me the right answer.

All Pro
    In my opinion, there is no constitutional authority to commit such as act. Also, the reality is that a missile strike would never be carried out in an "ally" country such as China or Russia.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Why does it have to be a drone strike, our an assassin? Can't we just smoke 'em out?