Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Geno says he's already made giant leaps with system

Veteran
    Rochester, NY--Originally from Long Island
    Post Thanks / Like

Geno says he's already made giant leaps with system

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...-a-giant-leap/

Geno Smith has a big transition to make from running West Virginia’s spread offense at the college level to quarterbacking the West Coast-style scheme offensive coordinator Marty Mornhinweg is installing in his first season with the Jets.

According to Smith, the transition is going very well. Smith spoke to Andrew Siciliano of the NFL Network at the rookie symposium in Ohio on Monday and said that he’s made big strides in his short time with the Jets since they drafted him in the second round in April.

“I’ve already made a giant leap,” Smith said. “Coming from a spread system where the biggest transition for me is going to be the footwork. It’s not as if I can’t do it, it’s the fact that I haven’t done it enough. The good amount of reps that I got in rookie camp, minicamp, OTAs has helped me make that leap and transition, and make giant strides. I was able get in with the first team and do some really good things.”

Center Nick Mangold said recently that he thought Smith was going to have to “work his butt off” in order to beat out Mark Sanchez as the starting quarterback, so it would seem there’s still plenty for Smith to do when the team gets to training camp. Under most circumstances, you’d say that the Jets would be looking for a reason to go with Smith over a guy with 52 turnovers in his last 31 starts but the handling of Sanchez’s career to this point makes it clear that the Jets don’t do things the same way as everyone else at quarterback.
    I didn't see this posted anywhere. I hope this is true

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    On NFL as well
    http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100...p-with-ny-jets

Geno Smith's chances of starting for the New York Jets this season directly are connected to how quickly he can pick up a pro offense.

Smith believes he's off to a fine start as he transitions from a spread offense at West Virginia to Marty Mornhinweg's West Coast offense in New York.

"I've already made a giant leap," Smith told NFL Network's Andrew Siciliano on Monday from the NFL Rookie Symposium in Aurora, Ohio. "Coming from a spread system where the biggest transition for me is going to be the footwork. It's not as if I can't do it, it's the fact that I haven't done it enough. The good amount of reps that I got in rookie camp, minicamp, OTAs has helped me make that leap and transition, and make giant strides."

"I have an opportunity to fight for a starting job in a great place right now, so I look forward to it."

Siciliano asked Smith if his time off before the start of training camp would include a trip to California, a reference to Mark Sanchez's Jets West camp.

"We'll see," he replied.

Smith said during minicamp that Sanchez hadn't "officially extended the hand to me, but I'm pretty sure there's no problem there." Smith's open-ended response to Siciliano makes us wonder if he's still waiting for that invite.

Follow Dan Hanzus on Twitter @DanHanzus.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Cool biz. Now prove it on the field, Geno.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Posting this is going to hurt Sanchez's confidence.
    You're hurting the team

Mod Friend to JI Legends
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Zarathustra View Post
    Posting this is going to hurt Sanchez's confidence.
    You're hurting the team
    lol, you rustler.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    I believe Mark did send Geno an invitation. ..

But it got intercepted

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post
    I believe Mark did send Geno an invitation. ..

But it got intercepted
    More likely he posted it up a lineman's butt by mistake.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesR View Post
    More likely he posted it up a lineman's butt by mistake.
    Or possibly both?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    "I'm struggling with the system. I haven't made any strides."

how often have you seen this?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I love the Jets but what amazes me is things like this. Last year Tebow comes in and every day it was the Tebow watch and when will he play? When will he start? etc. So now this year we draft a QB and so far it has been can Sanchez beat out rookie? Can Smith be the stater? This team never enters a season with out any type of headlines.

The problem we fave here is Sanchez beats out Smith just like last season every mistake Sanchez makes will have the when do we put the kid in question hovering over the team. And if Smith beats out Sanchez will it be a learning experience or will he have success like Luck and other rookie QBs that played well in their first season.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    the handling of Sanchez’s career to this point makes it clear that the Jets don’t do things the same way as everyone else at quarterback.
    Please, someone explain to me how the Jets didn't do things like other teams at QB?

No one ever handed the team over to a rookie?

Or was it that rookie QB's aren't usually handed a team with the NFLs best D?

And with the leagues top running attack?

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Timmy® View Post

You're talking about the same people who laugh when Rex answers that he believes his team will win every week and that they can win a championship.

As if a HC anywhere will say we're a 6-10 team without a chance this year.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Meanwhile, college freshmen taking Psych 101 believe they now have all the answers.

Nothing against Geno. What's be supposed to say? But definitely a slow day reporting wise if a reporter gets paid to write about progress a rookie thinks they made.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Timmy® View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Jet Nut View Post
    You're talking about the same people who laugh when Rex answers that he believes his team will win every week and that they can win a championship.

Exactly. I mean what did anyone expect Geno to say? "I suck and don't think I'll be ready to be the Starting QB this season?"

Fans here are a bit too "optimistic" sometimes(a very RARE "sometimes" considering we're Jets fans. )

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Being that we have nobody else to line up under center week 1, he better be making strides.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Nut View Post

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Thx for the read!

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Encouraging words, now let's see how he puts it all together on the field.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have said before that the same folks who are championing for Geno to start, are some of the same folks who championed Sanchez starting despite all NFL scouts and observors saying he wasnt ready!!

You guys will the first ones calling Geno all kinds of names should he not match your FF goals. You will be sending him rotten watermellons by years end. And your liar if you say otherwise that some wont do that...Those of you saying if only Sanchez were accurate say like Pennington are hypocrites of the highest order!!

Some of you posting such nonsense were the very same ones who literaaly cheered when Chad was hurt at home.. Yes you cheered and were giddy with anticipation that your own QB was in such pain he had to literally crawl off the field...

You guys who supported Sanchez used Sanchez' average play at QB which resulted in AFC championship appearences the first two years to justify the Jets doing what no one in the NFL said should be done which was to rush to start Sanchez, are insane!!

Indeed some of these same folks now turning on Sanchez on threads like these when their delusions didn't work out and the Jets lack of a plan of course backfired!! These posters were back to being their true selves booing Sanchez at home before games actually during warm ups!! Now these same fans want to "give Geno a chance" What a joke!!

As far as I am concerned the delusion continues... I hear posters say "Sanchez had a top running game and defense" ummm sooo....

These thngs mean nothing if Sanchez waasnt ready to start to begin with it. get it....

It is like having a guy who graduates top of his class from college and in three weeks someone says to him perform brain surgery next week.

Think!!!!!!!!!!!

It doesnt matter that the techs in the hospital are great or the nurses are fantastic or that the floors and instruments are clean... That guy cant perfom brain surgery, he is not READY!!!! That guy still needs training. Get it.... As did Sanchez. This isn't Monday morning QBing, as many on this board posted prior to Snachez being drafted that if the Jets wanted a player to start immedaitely then get draft Freeman....

Finally having a good running game or defense is not the same thing as "grooming" your QB and the fact that so many don't understand this basic fact is frightening!!
    Last edited by Charlie Brown; 06-25-2013 at 01:37 PM.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Brown View Post
    I have said before that the same folks who are championing for Geno to start, are some of the same folks who championed Sanchez starting despite all NFL scouts and observors saying he wasnt ready!!

You guys will the first ones calling Geno all kinds of names should he not match your FF goals. You will be sending him rotten watermellons by years end. And your liar if you say otherwise that some wont do that...Those of you saying if only Sanchez were accurate say like Pennington are hypocrites of the highest order!!

Some of you posting such nonsense were the very same ones who literaaly cheered when Chad was hurt at home.. Yes you cheered and were giddy with anticipation that your own QB was in such pain he had to literally crawl off the field...

You guys who supported Sanchez used Sanchez' average play at QB which resulted in AFC championship appearences the first two years to justify the Jets doing what no one in the NFL said should be done which was to rush to start Sanchez, are insane!!

Indeed some of these same folks now turning on Sanchez on threads like these when their delusions didn't work out and the Jets lack of a plan of course backfired!! These posters were back to being their true selves booing Sanchez at home before games actually during warm ups!! Now these same fans want to "give Geno a chance" What a joke!!

As far as I am concerned the delusion continues... I hear posters say "Sanchez had a top running game and defense" ummm sooo....

These thngs mean nothing if Sanchez waasnt ready to start to begin with it. get it....

It is like having a guy who graduates top of his class from college and in three weeks someone says to him perform brain surgery next week.

Think!!!!!!!!!!!

It doesnt matter that the techs in the hospital are great or the nurses are fantastic or that the floors and instruments are clean... That guy cant perfom brain surgery, he is not READY!!!! That guy still needs training. Get it.... As did Sanchez. This isn't Monday morning QBing, as many on this board posted prior to Snachez being drafted that if the Jets wanted a player to start immedaitely then get draft Freeman....

Finally having a good running game or defense is not the same thing as "grooming" your QB and the fact that so many don't understand this basic fact is frightening!!

Geno is WAY more NFL ready and experienced than Sanchez was coming out of college. Geno ran a complicated offense in college even though it was spread. The only area he is lacking in NFL readiness is drop back passing and he will learn that just fine, especially since we will run pistol and a lot of shotgun so it minimizes that element of his development. Geno is flat out a better prospect than Sanchez, and more NFL ready. He also has a dramatically better OC and QB coach, Geno's situation is nothing like Sanchez' was