Thread: Supreme Court Ruling on Voting Rights Act

Supreme Court Ruling on Voting Rights Act

http://www.cnn.com/2013/06/25/politi...html?hpt=hp_t1

Doggin? Can you explain this one in greater detail?

All Pro
    While Doggin researches and bills legal hours to Churchill, I have to say that the majority opinion seems on the face of it to be reasonable. Using data from the 1960's to continue to punish Southern states who want stricter voter ID seems to me to be patently unfair. States who were not earmarked as discriminatory have been allowed to stiffen voter ID without federal scrutiny or challenge. Should be the same for all. It appears that there are "secondary" level issues that are more alarming to the minority opinion... such as a county cancelling an election because only black candidates were running... that should be subject to judicial review and remedy...

Damned old white guys.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Quote Originally Posted by long island leprechaun View Post
    While Doggin researches and bills legal hours to Churchill, I have to say that the majority opinion seems on the face of it to be reasonable. Using data from the 1960's to continue to punish Southern states who want stricter voter ID seems to me to be patently unfair. States who were not earmarked as discriminatory have been allowed to stiffen voter ID without federal scrutiny or challenge. Should be the same for all. It appears that there are "secondary" level issues that are more alarming to the minority opinion... such as a county cancelling an election because only black candidates were running... that should be subject to judicial review and remedy...
    Agree with the above. No real problem with the practical outcome or the rationale. But, anyone who tries to claim that Scalia, et al. engage in anything other than judicial activism would be hard-pressed to reconcile this decision. It doesn't bother me, philosophically, but lets at least call a spade a spade.

Hall Of Fame
    If you watched some of the reactions to this you would think they took voting rights away from blacks.