Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: please dont forget your sunscreen this Summer

please dont forget your sunscreen this Summer

Hey all.

Just wanted to remind everyone to be SURE to wear sunscreen this summer.

Our son died of skin cancer, or metastic melanoma, on April 20th.

PLEASE be sure to check for any unusual looking moles, and have your spouse or significant other check your back.

My son had a mole on his back, the was cancerous, and it metasticized

into his lungs and stomach.

We watched him basically die of malnutrition as he could not retain any proteins from what he could eat.

Saddest GOD DAMN thing I ever want to see.

PLEASE take the time to check your body, and also no tanning beds, and put on copious amounts of sunscreen.

I hope perhaps this advice can help save a life.

As I had said in the other thread, I'm very sorry to hear of your son's passing. What was his name?

Quote Originally Posted by Bing in Buffalo View Post
    Hey all.

PLEASE be sure to check for any unusual looking moles, and have your spouse or significant other check your back.

We watched him basically die of malnutrition as he could not retain any proteins from what he could eat.

PLEASE take the time to check your body, and also no tanning beds, and put on copious amounts of sunscreen.

Great post Bing, you may save someone else.

Hope you are doing OK.

Hey all.

For many of us who grew up on LI, we lived at the beach. NO SUNSCREEN.

I have had a few things removed and yes, it is very scary.

Thanks for the post. SO SORRY for your loss.

sorry for your loss, Bing.

i generally don't know how to respond to these kinds of posts, but i thank you for the warning and for helping to spread awareness.
    Last edited by Dirtstar; 06-25-2013 at 06:17 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    condolences Bing - can only imagine how painful it is to lose a child.

Hall Of Fame
    Thanks for stopping bye Bing. Hope you and your family are doing well.

I had a spot removed from my shoulder a couple of years ago. We have a history of skin cancer in the family. Thankfully we all get checked regularly. We even put sunblock on the dogs.

Jets Insider VIP
    Here's a non-profit that spreads melanoma and skin care awareness. I went to high school with the girl the fund is named for. She died at 21 and would be 33 now. http://molliesfund.org There's also a Mollie's Fund app available for iphones and androids.

Jets Insider VIP
    Hey all.

First off, I'm glad to see you stopping by. Hope things are getting incrementally better for you and the family. You have my warmest, best thoughts.

Second, thanks for this advice. I went out and bought some sport UVA/UVB SPF 50 for my bike riding this summer.

Between my dad having a couple of run-ins with basal cell and what I've learned in school, I know now to watch my moles, particularly any that approach the size of a pencil eraser, have irregular borders or color variations.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    For many of us who grew up on LI, we lived at the beach. NO SUNSCREEN.

I have had a few things removed and yes, it is very scary.

Thanks for the post. SO SORRY for your loss.
    yep, I've had removed moles and basal cell removed.

another thing for those of you with small children. kids who get really bad sunburns at a young age, infants to ten years old, have a higher skin cancer rate as adults.

Jets Insider VIP
    You and your family have been in my thoughts. Thank you for the important message.

Hope the best for you and yours going forward.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ruby2 View Post
    You and your family have been in my thoughts. Thank you for the important message.

Hope the best for you and yours going forward.
    +1. Thanks for the important message, Bing. I hope your family is doing ok. You're in my thoughts.

Not sure if I said this before but my condolences to you and your family. Cancer is dreadful and painful for everyone around it. May God bless your family.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Good to see you around Bing and I hope that you and your family are coping as best as possible.

I'll add my +1 to this....I had Moh's surgery earlier this year on my neck. I'm now monitoring everything on my skin intently and at the derm every six months - especially with my Mother having two bouts with melanoma. As much as I'd rather not, I lavishly apply the sunscreen now.

I'm used to (and relishing) being slightly irresponsible, but this is not something to fuk around with - especially with having a family.

Thanks for the warning Bing. If nothing else, hopefully the tragic loss of your son will save others.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    Good to see you around Bing and I hope that you and your family are coping as best as possible.

I'll add my +1 to this....I had Moh's surgery earlier this year on my neck. I'm now monitoring everything on my skin intently and at the derm every six months - especially with my Mother having two bouts with melanoma. As much as I'd rather not, I lavishly apply the sunscreen now.

I'm used to (and relishing) being slightly irresponsible, but this is not something to fuk around with - especially with having a family.

Thanks for the warning Bing. If nothing else, hopefully the tragic loss of your son will save others.
    +100000000

Had Moh's...and several other suspicious things cut out...one of which I have to go back in AUgust to have more removed.

Instead of considering it an inconvenience, I consider it a blessing that I have access to highly trained Doctors who can intervene before Melanoma sets in.

God bless ya, Bing. I cant imagine what you went through.

-

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Timmy® View Post
    yep, I've had removed moles and basal cell removed.

another thing for those of you with small children. kids who get really bad sunburns at a young age, infants to ten years old, have a higher skin cancer rate as adults.
    That was me my friend...back then my parents equivalent of sunscreen was 'put on a t-shirt'.

Hope you are doing better Bing, hang in there.

Jets Insider VIP
    Hang in there Bing.

Working outdoors for years has taken it's toll on my skin. I had to use a chemo-therapy cream this winter on my face and it sucked.

Applying sun screen sure beats the sh!t out of having to use that crap.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishooked View Post
    That was me my friend...back then my parents equivalent of sunscreen was 'put on a t-shirt'.

Hope you are doing better Bing, hang in there.
    60s & 70's parents -"Turn off the TV. Go out and get some sun"

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Quote Originally Posted by crossfire View Post
    Hang in there Bing.

Working outdoors for years has taken it's toll on my skin. I had to use a chemo-therapy cream this winter on my face and it sucked.

Applying sun screen sure beats the sh!t out of having to use that crap.
    That chemo-cream is better than letting it go and having large chunks of your face carved out like pumpkin eyes.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by 32green View Post
    That chemo-cream is better than letting it go and having large chunks of your face carved out like pumpkin eyes.

Sure is.