Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: please dont forget your sunscreen this Summer

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 32green View Post
    That chemo-cream is better than letting it go and having large chunks of your face carved out like pumpkin eyes.

my dad had that

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 32green View Post
    +100000000

Had Moh's...and several other suspicious things cut out...one of which I have to go back in AUgust to have more removed.

Instead of considering it an inconvenience, I consider it a blessing that I have access to highly trained Doctors who can intervene before Melanoma sets in.

God bless ya, Bing. I cant imagine what you went through.

-
    I'm having a Moh's procedure done next week. We're also expecting our 3rd child THIS week. Please make sure to mention it to friends and colleagues, and use Bings story to scare people. So sorry for your loss, Bing...a thousand thank you's for sharing it.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker134 View Post
    I'm having a Moh's procedure done next week. We're also expecting our 3rd child THIS week. Please make sure to mention it to friends and colleagues, and use Bings story to scare people. So sorry for your loss, Bing...a thousand thank you's for sharing it.
    You should probably consider postponing the procedure (not really a big deal) as you won't be much help lifting your OTHER kids and what not for 10-14 days. It's not terrible overall, but if you exert yourself, you risk ripping the stitches.

Doing it at Weil-Cornell, perchance?

Good luck with the procedure and the baby. Hopefully they get it all on the first go-round.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Both my parents had malenoma(sp?) and lived. I go to the dermatolgist every six months. If he sees something he has even a minor concern about I go back in three months. I've had basal cell removed either two or three times and I had a mole removed that he said had a moderate to severe chance for malenoma.

He once told me that he couldn't recall a patient dying who got a clean check and then returned in six months for a check up. Fatalities are almost always something that has been lingering.

Self exam is always a good idea, especially if it runs in your family or you have fair skin. Have your wife or husband look behind yours ears since you can't
    do it. Check the scalp by using a blow dryer.

I try to wear sunscreen at all times, and I wear long clothes cutting the lawn
    since it takes a couple of hours. I always screw up in the car though. The left arm is a prime target (as you could tell by the scar on my arm) , since it hangs out the window in direct sun. Left side of neck for same reason. Sucks wearing sunscreen in the car because I always get it in my eyes while driving. Gotta do it though.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't want to spoil all the fun in this thread, but a dirty little secret dermatologists are now reluctant to tell you is that a little bit of sun exposure is actually good for you.

Go out in the sun for 10-15 minutes, then put your sunscreen on.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Big L View Post
    I don't want to spoil all the fun in this thread, but a dirty little secret dermatologists are now reluctant to tell you is that a little bit of sun exposure is actually good for you.

Go out in the sun for 10-15 minutes, then put your sunscreen on.
    depends on your skin type and what time of day. i don't think a fair skin person should do that at noon.

I assume you are talking about the sun supplying us with Vitamin D?

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Timmy® View Post
    my dad had that
    Pumpkin eyes?

-

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Timmy® View Post
    depends on your skin type and what time of day. i don't think a fair skin person should do that at noon.

I assume you are talking about the sun supplying us with Vitamin D?
    Sunlight in moderation.

Vitamin D is good. Also some other benefits-

•The ultraviolet rays in sunshine act as a natural antiseptic. These rays can kill viruses, bacteria, molds, yeasts, fungi, and mites in air, water, and on different surfaces including your skin.

•Getting some sun tends to help clear up different skin diseases such as acne, boils, athletes foot, diaper rash, psoriasis, and eczema. (Maybe good for gout?)

•Getting enough sunlight during the day can help you sleep better at night. If you are exposed to natural light during the day, it will increase your melatonin output at night. Melatonin is a natural hormone made by our bodies. It enhances sleep and slows down the aging process.

•Sunlight is an effective treatment for jaundice.

This one is particularly good for those on the Strip-

•Sunlight helps to balance out your hormones. It may even help to relieve certain symptoms of PMS.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bing in Buffalo View Post
    Hey all.

Just wanted to remind everyone to be SURE to wear sunscreen this summer.

Our son died of skin cancer, or metastic melanoma, on April 20th.

PLEASE be sure to check for any unusual looking moles, and have your spouse or significant other check your back.

My son had a mole on his back, the was cancerous, and it metasticized

into his lungs and stomach.

We watched him basically die of malnutrition as he could not retain any proteins from what he could eat.

Saddest GOD DAMN thing I ever want to see.

PLEASE take the time to check your body, and also no tanning beds, and put on copious amounts of sunscreen.

I hope perhaps this advice can help save a life.
    Thank you for the reminder...God bless.