Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 95

Thread: How Does QB Competition Make Sense

  1. #41
    All League
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    3,351
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenWave View Post
    OK. But do you have to find out what Geno is in Week 1? If he's still struggling with the "basics," I'd rather see him get those down during the first quarter or half of the season, THEN take over so we can see what he brings to the table.

    Nothing would make me happier than to see Geno come in and just embarrass Sanchez in August. If he comes in out of college and just takes the job away from a guy who's already won over 30 games in the NFL (even if some of that was done with terrible play), then we might have something.

    I think most (if not all) of us want Geno to start out of the gate, but asking why there's even a competition reeks of impatience. If he earns it day one, great. If not, let him watch an NFL game or two before he's thrown in the fire.
    QBs learn from playing not holding the clipboard of a starter. During the season there is almost no learning reps for a backup. If you are going to play Geno, play Geno.

  2. #42
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Ormond Beach, Florida
    Posts
    12,647
    Post Thanks / Like
    I agree. Play Geno


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    Go Jets!

  3. #43
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    13,140
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnysd View Post
    that's just what I don't get. Winning the competition is irrelevant. It does nothing to help the team. Finding out what Geno is does. In my view, the only way you start Sanchez is for injury or if Geno is terrible in camp. If it is remotely close you have to start Geno
    Yes, it does matter winning the competition. And that's really what your forgetting here. Geno Smith's development is a time sensitive issue, or at least it may be.

    You know Sanchez is doomed for failure. I get that. I don't disagree with that.

    But this season is about getting on with the future. Due to contract obligations, there is NO way we can get rid of Sanchez. I doubt it's going to happen. At the end of this season is when Sanchez will be done.

    So we might as well use him to our advantage if we are forced to have him on this team. He's never been challenged before to WIN a QB competition in the past. Maybe, just maybe, competition will bring out the best in Sanchez?

    And even if it doesn't, we can still use Sanchez to our advantage.

    That may involve taking the field while young Geno has the opportunity to just WATCH games. Sometimes, and I am not necessarily saying this is the case with Geno, sitting on the bench for a couple seasons is important for a young QB. You never know.

    All young QB's are different. Some need to sit before they break their cherries. Others need to get their cherries busted immediately. It's a not a perfect science or procedure.

    So wanting to move on from Sanchez is understood, but you're forgetting the big picture here. Sanchez is part of the 2013 team. We can still use Sanchez to benefit the team, even if it doesn't benefit Sanchez.

  4. #44
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    The Big Apple, USA
    Posts
    22,030
    Post Thanks / Like
    I agree

    Use Sanchez to hold for Nick Folk


    Use Smith as the starting QB and lets get ready to rumble


    PROBLEM SOLVED

  5. #45
    All League
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    3,524
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Digetydog View Post
    Have any of them played in a pro bowl? Are any of them in the Top 10? Because of the pot, Goodson is likely to miss games even if he is acquitted of the gun charge.

    There is potential there, but no sure thing.

    Rebuilding the offense will take time. During the bad times, there is no reason to rush Smith. If Sanchez fails again, Smith will be playing quickly. If Sanchez plays well, there is no reason to rush Smith.
    You still believe this is rebuilding? This is going to be a clusterf()ck of a season. Zero pro bowl talent on the o, outside of Mangold. Only one proven star on d. This is they least talented team in the league the rebuild begins next season, when Rex and the rest of the coaching staff is gone. 3-4 wins at most.

  6. #46
    Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Manalapan, NJ/Boca Raton, Fl
    Posts
    14,162
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by srobjets View Post
    You still believe this is rebuilding? This is going to be a clusterf()ck of a season. Zero pro bowl talent on the o, outside of Mangold. Only one proven star on d. This is they least talented team in the league the rebuild begins next season, when Rex and the rest of the coaching staff is gone. 3-4 wins at most.
    Oh yeah, another for the sky is falling brigade.

    Going to suck when they extend Rex for this group.

  7. #47
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Reading, UK
    Posts
    5,277
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post
    Use Sanchez to hold for Nick Folk
    Do you trust him to do that?

  8. #48
    All League
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    3,351
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post
    Yes, it does matter winning the competition. And that's really what your forgetting here. Geno Smith's development is a time sensitive issue, or at least it may be.

    You know Sanchez is doomed for failure. I get that. I don't disagree with that.

    But this season is about getting on with the future. Due to contract obligations, there is NO way we can get rid of Sanchez. I doubt it's going to happen. At the end of this season is when Sanchez will be done.

    So we might as well use him to our advantage if we are forced to have him on this team. He's never been challenged before to WIN a QB competition in the past. Maybe, just maybe, competition will bring out the best in Sanchez?

    And even if it doesn't, we can still use Sanchez to our advantage.

    That may involve taking the field while young Geno has the opportunity to just WATCH games. Sometimes, and I am not necessarily saying this is the case with Geno, sitting on the bench for a couple seasons is important for a young QB. You never know.

    All young QB's are different. Some need to sit before they break their cherries. Others need to get their cherries busted immediately. It's a not a perfect science or procedure.

    So wanting to move on from Sanchez is understood, but you're forgetting the big picture here. Sanchez is part of the 2013 team. We can still use Sanchez to benefit the team, even if it doesn't benefit Sanchez.
    I just really could not disagree more with this. I see no positives whatsoever in starting Sanchez. I don't care about his contract. I don't care about his draft position.. I care what's best for the Jets and whats best is starting someone else. Sanchez really should be cut, but Woody is a half measures guy and could not pull the trigger on Rex and Sanchez

  9. #49
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    6,210
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by gaffneycatch View Post
    what's mind-boggling is this statement. Geno is more talented that Sanchez based on what exactly? The fact that he would have been the first QB selected in the draft...except he wasn't...and then he fell into the mid-second round?

    the reason Sanchez is competing for the job is that there's a high likelihood that Geno sucks worse than Sanchez does. The fact that there's a slight chance Sanchez will turn things around and become a top half of the league starter is also a factor. Those are the two reasons -- and it's really not that complicated.
    Ummmmm this is an OUTSTANDING POST!!!

  10. #50
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    The Big Apple, USA
    Posts
    22,030
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by gaffneycatch View Post
    what's mind-boggling is this statement. Geno is more talented that Sanchez based on what exactly? The fact that he would have been the first QB selected in the draft...except he wasn't...and then he fell into the mid-second round?

    the reason Sanchez is competing for the job is that there's a high likelihood that Geno sucks worse than Sanchez does. The fact that there's a slight chance Sanchez will turn things around and become a top half of the league starter is also a factor. Those are the two reasons -- and it's really not that complicated.
    Brady fell to round 6

    Montana to round 3

    Wilson round 3 drafted by Idzik in 2012

    Unitas and Kurt Warner were undrafted

    Sanchez, Ryan Leaf, Tim Couch and Jamarcus Russell all drafted near the top of round one.

    Yet here you are telling us that there is a "high likelihood that Smith sucks worse than Sanchez" based on draft position and apparently ZERO else.

    And even dumber than this analysis is our resident Peanuts Gallery" poster calling your drivel "an outstanding post"

    Good Grief...what will the Buttfumble Apologists" come up with nexr?

  11. #51
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    1,948
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post
    Brady fell to round 6

    Montana to round 3

    Wilson round 3 drafted by Idzik in 2012

    Unitas and Kurt Warner were undrafted

    Sanchez, Ryan Leaf, Tim Couch and Jamarcus Russell all drafted near the top of round one.

    Yet here you are telling us that there is a "high likelihood that Smith sucks worse than Sanchez" based on draft position and apparently ZERO else.

    And even dumber than this analysis is our resident Peanuts Gallery" poster calling your drivel "an outstanding post"

    Good Grief...what will the Buttfumble Apologists" come up with nexr?
    Lol your right.. That thinking is moronic.. Geno could have easily went #1, but because he may have look disinterested in interviews he fell. I'm sure race had something to do with it. With that rumor it probably advanced to - " just another black player with attitude " bla bla.. I'm glad he fell for bs reasons.. Sanchez had Allstar team at USC, why they made him look so good.. Put him on a average college team and he probably is no better then 4 th rounder..

  12. #52
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    6,210
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post
    Brady fell to round 6

    Montana to round 3

    Wilson round 3 drafted by Idzik in 2012

    Unitas and Kurt Warner were undrafted

    Sanchez, Ryan Leaf, Tim Couch and Jamarcus Russell all drafted near the top of round one.

    Yet here you are telling us that there is a "high likelihood that Smith sucks worse than Sanchez" based on draft position and apparently ZERO else.

    And even dumber than this analysis is our resident Peanuts Gallery" poster calling your drivel "an outstanding post"

    Good Grief...what will the Buttfumble Apologists" come up with nexr?
    Ummmmm I stand behind my previous statement.

    See some of us who are Jets fans not Sanchez or Smith fans dont want to simply replace the mistake of the past by just "handing" Smith the job regardless of whether he is ready or not as many on this thread implicitly imply.

    The orginal poster was attempting to say that we dont know if Smith is game good or not; he could end up being a poorer QB than Sanchez in the end. (Pun intended)

    Since that was the point and not the one for which you fabricated a response you are indeed correct!!!

    Sooo Yes.....

    Good Grief!!!
    Last edited by Charlie Brown; 06-29-2013 at 08:57 PM.

  13. #53
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    The Big Apple, USA
    Posts
    22,030
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Brown View Post
    Ummmmm I stand behind my previous statement.

    Some of us dont want to simply replace the mistake of the past by just "handing" Smith the job regardless of whether he is ready or not as many on this thread implicitly imply.

    Since that was the point and not the one for which you fabricated a response you are indeed correct!!!

    Good Grief!!!
    your point, peanuts was to salute a poster as "outstanding" whose apparent only reason for saying Smith could be a worse bust than Sanchez was that he was drafted later than Sanchez was.

    No basis based on having watched a college football game

    No basis based on having on ever seen Smith play

    Just that he was drafted in round two whereas Sanchez was drafted with the fifth pick.

    My response was completely on point

  14. #54
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Reading, UK
    Posts
    5,277
    Post Thanks / Like
    My take on the whole subject is that I DON'T want Smith to start until the coaching staff feel he is 100% ready. Even if it means starting Sanchez. I'll gladly go another year of Sanchez if it gives us a better chance in the medium term with Smith.

    Smith should only start because he's good enough - not because Sanchez sucks.

  15. #55
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    13,140
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnysd View Post
    I just really could not disagree more with this. I see no positives whatsoever in starting Sanchez. I don't care about his contract. I don't care about his draft position.. I care what's best for the Jets and whats best is starting someone else. Sanchez really should be cut, but Woody is a half measures guy and could not pull the trigger on Rex and Sanchez
    Well, I guess we'll just have to see how the season turns out. For better or worse, Mark Sanchez is going to be a Jet in 2013. Pulling the trigger on Sanchez would have only thrust the team into worse cap shape.

    Completely disagree about Rex though. Rex is a great HC and will likely get an extension some time this season.

  16. #56
    All League
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    2,702
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by srobjets View Post
    You still believe this is rebuilding? This is going to be a clusterf()ck of a season. Zero pro bowl talent on the o, outside of Mangold. Only one proven star on d. This is they least talented team in the league the rebuild begins next season, when Rex and the rest of the coaching staff is gone. 3-4 wins at most.
    That is why you don't expose Smith until AFTER Sanchize fails. If you bring him in after a failure by Sanchize, there are reasonable expectations.

    If you throw him out there week 1 and he fails, the questions about Smith will start.

  17. #57
    All League
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    3,351
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post
    Well, I guess we'll just have to see how the season turns out. For better or worse, Mark Sanchez is going to be a Jet in 2013. Pulling the trigger on Sanchez would have only thrust the team into worse cap shape.

    Completely disagree about Rex though. Rex is a great HC and will likely get an extension some time this season.
    I think the odds of Rex coaching the Jets next season are almost zero. Idzik gets his guy season 2. It would take a division title and deep playoff run to save Rex's job. Rather than an extension I see no guarantee he lasts the season. MM could easily become interim head coach if we falter out of the gate.

  18. #58
    Undrafted Free Agent
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    245
    Post Thanks / Like
    The Jets are in a tough situation. The O-line will have 2 new starters and needs time to come together. The offense is going to struggle no matter who is QB. Garrard would have been a great stopgap, and his not being here really hurts. Sanchez is a waste of a roster spot, held onto only because of his salary ramifications. I do not want him to ever play another down at QB for this team, but he may b/c Geno just may not be ready.

  19. #59
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    6,940
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesR View Post
    My take on the whole subject is that I DON'T want Smith to start until the coaching staff feel he is 100% ready. Even if it means starting Sanchez. I'll gladly go another year of Sanchez if it gives us a better chance in the medium term with Smith.

    Smith should only start because he's good enough - not because Sanchez sucks.
    +1

    I like Geno and want him to be our Russell Wilson in the worst way but onnly if the kid's ready. We won't know anything until preseason.

  20. #60
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    6,940
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnysd View Post
    I think the odds of Rex coaching the Jets next season are almost zero. Idzik gets his guy season 2. It would take a division title and deep playoff run to save Rex's job. Rather than an extension I see no guarantee he lasts the season. MM could easily become interim head coach if we falter out of the gate.
    Idzik's guy is Rex. They like eachother and Rex is our best HC since Parcells.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us