Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 95

Thread: How Does QB Competition Make Sense

  1. #21
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    6,452
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PocketJet View Post
    In other words.... Geno is not too smart. Not an important ingredient for a starting QB
    eh it is his generation IMO. They never put down those damn phones anymore even the active ones. Maybe in the past you could say that was TO or Moss attitude but I think a lot has changed in the last 5-10 years. They just dont get the importance of actual human interaction anymore even in something like sports.

  2. #22
    All League
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    3,338
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by gaffneycatch View Post
    what's mind-boggling is this statement. Geno is more talented that Sanchez based on what exactly? The fact that he would have been the first QB selected in the draft...except he wasn't...and then he fell into the mid-second round?

    the reason Sanchez is competing for the job is that there's a high likelihood that Geno sucks worse than Sanchez does. The fact that there's a slight chance Sanchez will turn things around and become a top half of the league starter is also a factor. Those are the two reasons -- and it's really not that complicated.
    Let's see: Geno is more athletic than Sanchez, much more of a running threat, has a better arm, is WAY more accurate, has WAY more college experience than Sanchez, has proven success against blitzes....etc.. Geno is a better prospect than Sanchez was coming out of college without question despite where they were picked.

    Also, there is NO CHANCE of Sanchez turning things around and be a "top half of the league starter". NONE. Seriously, what could you possibly see in his almost 70 games of NFL experience that would remotely give you that idea?

  3. #23
    All League
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    3,338
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Cleansweep2013 View Post
    Beat him out in camp? That does not prove anything when your talking about Sanchez.. We had to hear Rex and the OCs say how great mark looked in practice..mark himself use to step on podium after a bad game and say " had a great week in practice don't know what happened.. Yada yada...." He obviously has become a good practice player, but when guys coming at him hit for real he loses his focus and makes bonehead decisions I'm sure he doesn't show in camp/practice.. So he should not be allowed to start just because he looks better in camp, because we all have seen him in the real games.. Geno deserves a chance in real games.. He can't do any worse than #6 and even if he did he will likely learn from his mistakes, something mark could NEVER do..
    Great post. Sanchez has proven he cannot take his practice performance on to the field, why would we weigh 2013 practice more heavily than 4 years of very sub par to awful QB play? I am completely baffled why people want to give Sanchez another chance to ruin the Jets.

  4. #24
    All League
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    3,338
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PocketJet View Post
    In other words.... Geno is not too smart. Not an important ingredient for a starting QB
    Actually Geno is very very smart academically.

  5. #25
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    6,452
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnysd View Post
    Great post. Sanchez has proven he cannot take his practice performance on to the field, why would we weigh 2013 practice more heavily than 4 years of very sub par to awful QB play? I am completely baffled why people want to give Sanchez another chance to ruin the Jets.
    It is mainly just people who want us to go 3-13 and draft Clowney I think. Anyone who actually think we will be even average doesnt think Sanchez should start it seems. Notice how the people calling for Sanchez use terms like rebuild and down year. They think we can raise his value and trade Sanchez and his 8.3 mil next year and get a mid round pick out of him. It just isnt realistic IMO. No one is going to take a guy whos roster bonus are more then he is worth in FA. If we benched him sooner last year maybe but we killed both his and Tebows value in the way we handled that mess IMO.

  6. #26
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    13,140
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mark Sanchez is on this team this season and there isn't anything the FO can do about that.

    So if he's going to be on this team, it just doesn't make any sense for the CS not to at least give him a chance. At the very least it makes the other QB's better in their work ethic, preparation, play, etc.

    And I know I'm probably nuts in saying this, but who knows what can happen? MAYBE MM is just the kind of guy to get the most out of Sanchez? Maybe under his tutelage he can actually play better?

    I don't believe it, but like I posted already, he isn't going anywhere so we might as well coach him up and let the chips fall where they may in the QB competition.

  7. #27
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    13,140
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnysd View Post
    I am all for competition in professional football. I think it makes players work harder and play better. Stay in shape, study. All of that I get it.

    But to me it does not always make sense as in the case of the Jets QB position.

    I have a hard time wrapping my head around why Sanchez is included in the QB competition. To me it sends the message that what he accomplishes in practice and pre-season games overrides the four years of history he has at the position. We don't need a competition to know what Sanchez is and what that is is not good enough.

    Now I think that Geno should compete to start. I do not think he should be handed the starting position. But Simms and McElroy are token competition at best, and Sanchez should not even have the chance.

    What the Jets should have done is cut Sanchez as a June 1 cut, and brought in some players that could actually compete with Geno.

    But to trot Sanchez out there again because he wins a pre-season "competition" with a rookie (who is more talented than he is), just seems like a completely idiotic move and destined to be a complete failure. Not to mention the backlash from the fans if they do that. Plus I have no confidence Rex will get past his bias in determining the starter.
    You're forgetting that Sanchez will on a very short leash. Rex isn't going to let him kill the team again. He allowed it to happen last season because there were no better options to play QB. That won't happen this season because if Sanchez starts screwing up, Rex would rather live with the mistakes that Geno will inevitably make while he is on the learning curve. At that rate, at least we are developing another potential franchise QB.

  8. #28
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Durham, CA
    Posts
    8,271
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post
    You're forgetting that Sanchez will on a very short leash. Rex isn't going to let him kill the team again. He allowed it to happen last season because there were no better options to play QB. That won't happen this season because if Sanchez starts screwing up, Rex would rather live with the mistakes that Geno will inevitably make while he is on the learning curve. At that rate, at least we are developing another potential franchise QB.
    Well, does Rex have the final call? I have no clue but am guessing not.

    If Rex did, there is not a doubt in my mind he will name Sanchez the starter only due to the fact that his job is on the line, and as much as i doubt Sanchez and thinks he sniffs a dogs testicle pouch, he is the safer bet to save Rex's job.

  9. #29
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    The Big Apple, USA
    Posts
    22,030
    Post Thanks / Like
    Those who want the Jets to suck, go 1-15 so they can draft a potential franchise QB next May want us to start our very own Curtis Painter clone and do a "Buttfumble for Bridgewater deal.

    Those of us who think that John Idzik drafted a potential franchise QB last April want that QB to start so the Jets can compete THIS season

  10. #30
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    13,140
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sdJETSetter View Post
    Well, does Rex have the final call? I have no clue but am guessing not.

    If Rex did, there is not a doubt in my mind he will name Sanchez the starter only due to the fact that his job is on the line, and as much as i doubt Sanchez and thinks he sniffs a dogs testicle pouch, he is the safer bet to save Rex's job.
    I disagree. I think Rex is interested in doing what is the best for the organization and not interested in solely thinking about his job. He cares more about the Jets than he cares about Rex. Call me stupid, But I truly believe that.

    If it is in the best interests of the Jets, I think Rex will do it and not even care about potential backlash, security of his job.

  11. #31
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    18,680
    Post Thanks / Like
    Because we gave the job to Sanchez every year and look what happened

  12. #32
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Durham, CA
    Posts
    8,271
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post
    I disagree. I think Rex is interested in doing what is the best for the organization and not interested in solely thinking about his job. He cares more about the Jets than he cares about Rex. Call me stupid, But I truly believe that.

    If it is in the best interests of the Jets, I think Rex will do it and not even care about potential backlash, security of his job.
    That would certainly be refreshing.
    Are you 100% Geno, or Best QB in camp/preseason plays? (this is me)

  13. #33
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    13,140
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sdJETSetter View Post
    That would certainly be refreshing.
    Are you 100% Geno, or Best QB in camp/preseason plays? (this is me)
    I hope it is Geno, but if Sanchez wins the QB competition, then for better or worse, I think we should go with him. I don't think it would be wise to rush Geno if he isn't ready.

  14. #34
    Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Atlanta via NJ
    Posts
    7,690
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Digetydog View Post
    It is simple. They are trying to protect Smith from failure. Until he's ready Sanchez will take the beatings.

    +1

  15. #35
    Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Atlanta via NJ
    Posts
    7,690
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnysd View Post
    Let's see: Geno is more athletic than Sanchez, much more of a running threat, has a better arm, is WAY more accurate, has WAY more college experience than Sanchez, has proven success against blitzes....etc.. Geno is a better prospect than Sanchez was coming out of college without question despite where they were picked.

    Also, there is NO CHANCE of Sanchez turning things around and be a "top half of the league starter". NONE. Seriously, what could you possibly see in his almost 70 games of NFL experience that would remotely give you that idea?
    If all of this is true then you have nothing to worry about in TC and Preseason ... Let Geno dominate the competition

    I hope you are correct and it happens

    Being afraid of a competition for the spot though makes it seem like you may not actually believe what you state in your quote - JMO

  16. #36
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    6,452
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post
    Those who want the Jets to suck, go 1-15 so they can draft a potential franchise QB next May want us to start our very own Curtis Painter clone and do a "Buttfumble for Bridgewater deal.

    Those of us who think that John Idzik drafted a potential franchise QB last April want that QB to start so the Jets can compete THIS season
    I honestly dont know what to expect from Geno. With Mark we already know that story. Geno I will at least watch in the hopes of seeing good QB play. I dont want anything to do with Bridgewater though. He is not a cant miss guy by any means IMO. To me he is pretty much the same player as Geno. Not even the best college QB.

  17. #37
    All League
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    3,338
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post
    I hope it is Geno, but if Sanchez wins the QB competition, then for better or worse, I think we should go with him. I don't think it would be wise to rush Geno if he isn't ready.
    that's just what I don't get. Winning the competition is irrelevant. It does nothing to help the team. Finding out what Geno is does. In my view, the only way you start Sanchez is for injury or if Geno is terrible in camp. If it is remotely close you have to start Geno

  18. #38
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    The Big Apple, USA
    Posts
    22,030
    Post Thanks / Like
    the good part for the Jets is that apparently Smith is holed up at home studying the playbook and digesting the new offense

    while Sucky is dancing barea$$ed and drunk in you tube videos with bimbos in California.


    This should give Jet fans hope for a 2013 season not laden with 26 turnovers, hangdog looks on the sidelines and blaming everything including sunspots (other than himself) for the 36th best NFL quarterback play out of 32 starters

  19. #39
    All League
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    3,042
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnysd View Post
    that's just what I don't get. Winning the competition is irrelevant. It does nothing to help the team. Finding out what Geno is does. In my view, the only way you start Sanchez is for injury or if Geno is terrible in camp. If it is remotely close you have to start Geno
    OK. But do you have to find out what Geno is in Week 1? If he's still struggling with the "basics," I'd rather see him get those down during the first quarter or half of the season, THEN take over so we can see what he brings to the table.

    Nothing would make me happier than to see Geno come in and just embarrass Sanchez in August. If he comes in out of college and just takes the job away from a guy who's already won over 30 games in the NFL (even if some of that was done with terrible play), then we might have something.

    I think most (if not all) of us want Geno to start out of the gate, but asking why there's even a competition reeks of impatience. If he earns it day one, great. If not, let him watch an NFL game or two before he's thrown in the fire.

  20. #40
    Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Atlanta via NJ
    Posts
    7,690
    Post Thanks / Like
    The good thing is Marty Morninwig will be a major factor (if not final say ) in judging when Smith is "ready"

    I think Idzik is looking at big picture "what gives Jets best chance for long term success over next 10 years" over what gives Jets best chance for success in 2013 ... Is Rex onboard with this ? Don't know ... But I'm sure there will be some communication between MM & Idzik on how to give Geno the best chance to succeed ... And I would guess that Rex, MM, & Idzik already have an understanding that final say on this particular personnel decision will be Idzik's call

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us