Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: How Does QB Competition Make Sense

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    Stopped reading there. People saying this team has no weapons have no clue IMO. As for not listening to the fans well that is kinda who buys the tickets. Good franchises sell tickets and dont start QBs even the fans know are trash. Your duty is to the fans and to win games. You dont do that doing the same stupid thing over and over again that is insanity.
    Your only duty is to win games. If you don't do that, the fans will stay away (unless you are the Chicago Cubs). Kowtowing to fickle fans to sell tickets leads to signing guys like Teblow.

I remember when Belicheat decided to go with Brady as his only backup. I remember when the Rams told skeptical fans that Warner could play.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    Every player on the jets or any team needs to know that the guys who play the best in TC win the position to start the season. If starters think that practice performance has little bearing on who starts, or if rookies think that their draft position give them a seat at the table your asking for trouble. ( i make exception to the over 30YO stars that take it easy during camp with the coaches blessing)

If the competition is close the Rex can give the ball to the kid, but if it is not close the message the team gets is that the season does not matter. if Sanchez or any player wins the position in TC it is his to lose during the season.
    + 1

I may prefer to specify more on the O ... I personally would also state at the beginning Winslow & the old OG ... forget his name at the moment ... Have 1 out of every 3 practices they' ll be judged on due to injury concerns ... And am including preseason along with TC as the timeframe to decide

If Geno is ready he should be able to step right in ... If he can't even beat Sanchez ... He is not ready yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Digetydog View Post
    Your only duty is to win games. If you don't do that, the fans will stay away (unless you are the Chicago Cubs). Kowtowing to fickle fans to sell tickets leads to signing guys like Teblow.

I remember when Belicheat decided to go with Brady as his only backup. I remember when the Rams told skeptical fans that Warner could play.
    Exactly you made my point. How does starting Sanchez friggen win games? lol OMFG what is wrong with you. Starting him is the wrong move in every way. Keeping him on this team is a pretty stupid move in it self. He is a 3rd string QB on any other team. Why start him over a guy that obviously has more talent and give you a better shot at not only winning but maybe your future.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Exactly you made my point. How does starting Sanchez friggen win games? lol OMFG what is wrong with you. Starting him is the wrong move in every way. Keeping him on this team is a pretty stupid move in it self. He is a 3rd string QB on any other team. Why start him over a guy that obviously has more talent and give you a better shot at not only winning but maybe your future.
    How can any coach tell his team that he's going to push the same QB who was as bad as Sanchez was that he's getting another shot.

If that wasn't a bad enough sell, youre basically saying until Geno is ready, so scrap the games Mark plays. Not happening.

All League
    You do not start Geno until he wins the job with good play. That means Geno has to outplay Sanchize in practice and the preseason. That means waiting until Geno is ready.

The worst outcome is not losing a game or two in 2013. The worst outcome is watching Geno fail because he was rushed onto the field. In 2014, Smith needs to be the undisputed starter with the confidence of the fans and coaches.

Watching him struggle in games 1-4 throwing to bad TEs and spare WRs does nothing to achieve that goal.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post
    the good thing for the Jets future is that it doesn't matter at all whether I am sold on Smith or you are sold on Smith or not everyone is 100 percent sold on Smith. What matters is the the GM that drafted him high in the draft as HIS quarterback has probably seen enough film of Buttfumble the last two seasons to be sold on Smith
    how does watching film of Sanchez show that Smith is ready to start in the NFL?

Waterboy
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnysd View Post
    I am all for competition in professional football. I think it makes players work harder and play better. Stay in shape, study. All of that I get it.

But to me it does not always make sense as in the case of the Jets QB position.

I have a hard time wrapping my head around why Sanchez is included in the QB competition. To me it sends the message that what he accomplishes in practice and pre-season games overrides the four years of history he has at the position. We don't need a competition to know what Sanchez is and what that is is not good enough.

Now I think that Geno should compete to start. I do not think he should be handed the starting position. But Simms and McElroy are token competition at best, and Sanchez should not even have the chance.

What the Jets should have done is cut Sanchez as a June 1 cut, and brought in some players that could actually compete with Geno.

But to trot Sanchez out there again because he wins a pre-season "competition" with a rookie (who is more talented than he is), just seems like a completely idiotic move and destined to be a complete failure. Not to mention the backlash from the fans if they do that. Plus I have no confidence Rex will get past his bias in determining the starter.

I'm waiting for the Geno Tattoo to go along with the Sanchez Tattoo

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by loluchka80 View Post
    how does watching film of Sanchez show that Smith is ready to start in the NFL?
    Some people think Sanchize = Bad, therefore Geno should start.

In reality, Geno's playing time should only be based upon Geno's play. When he shows that he is ready to thrive, play him.

Until then, let Sanchize take the beatings for a while.

Some people think Sanchize = Bad, therefore Geno should start.

In reality, Geno's playing time should only be based upon Geno's play. When he shows that he is ready to thrive, play him.

Until then, let Sanchize take the beatings for a while.
    +1

But this is one of those arguments that will have two camps until the games start.

What the Jets are still missing is one veteran QB, then we can have a true competition. The days of any player on this team not earning there job should be OVER !!!
    As far as Geno starting, I certainly would be okay with that as long as he beats out the other QB's on the team. I know Mark does well in practice and then craps the bed in really games. Which is why I think the team needs to go out and sign a solid veteran to compete with this group.

Last year the monkey from Hangover II would have played QB better than Sanchez. If Geno is better than that, he should be the starter.
    Last edited by Flushing Roots; 07-02-2013 at 05:11 PM.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenWave View Post
    +1

But this is one of those arguments that will have two camps until the games start.
    ... and ongoing throughout the whole season too, probably.

You do not start Geno until he wins the job with good play. That means Geno has to outplay Sanchize in practice and the preseason. That means waiting until Geno is ready.

The worst outcome is not losing a game or two in 2013. The worst outcome is watching Geno fail because he was rushed onto the field. In 2014, Smith needs to be the undisputed starter with the confidence of the fans and coaches.

Watching him struggle in games 1-4 throwing to bad TEs and spare WRs does nothing to achieve that goal.
    You have 51 other guys on the team that you need to get the best out of too. Even if Sanchez looks better in camp which is very unlikely you cant start him. It is a team sport and putting him back out on the field to play crappy ball till the next guy is ready is just setting a bad example. If your going to move on move on dont give false hope or in this case continue to torture your team playing a guy that wouldnt make the cut on most teams in the league. Maybe Buff needs to resign Fitz and play him over their draft pick till he is ready too.
    Last edited by Dreamers; 07-02-2013 at 09:54 PM.

MOST PEOPLE KNOW Sanchize = Bad, therefore Geno should start.

fixed

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnysd View Post
    QB is completely different than other positions. QB competitions make little sense to me as they rob the starting QB of reps. Pick and QB and go with him until he proves he cannot handle it (like Sanchez) and then go with your next option 100%
    Other positions don't need reps? I see. Completely different. That explains it.