Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How Does QB Competition Make Sense

How Does QB Competition Make Sense

I am all for competition in professional football. I think it makes players work harder and play better. Stay in shape, study. All of that I get it.

But to me it does not always make sense as in the case of the Jets QB position.

I have a hard time wrapping my head around why Sanchez is included in the QB competition. To me it sends the message that what he accomplishes in practice and pre-season games overrides the four years of history he has at the position. We don't need a competition to know what Sanchez is and what that is is not good enough.

Now I think that Geno should compete to start. I do not think he should be handed the starting position. But Simms and McElroy are token competition at best, and Sanchez should not even have the chance.

What the Jets should have done is cut Sanchez as a June 1 cut, and brought in some players that could actually compete with Geno.

But to trot Sanchez out there again because he wins a pre-season "competition" with a rookie (who is more talented than he is), just seems like a completely idiotic move and destined to be a complete failure. Not to mention the backlash from the fans if they do that. Plus I have no confidence Rex will get past his bias in determining the starter.

The reason Sanchez is still on the roster is due to contract/cap issues and because the current GM smartly sees every player as a potential asset.

It's folly to just hand a job to any new QB and it's easier said than done to bring in extra comp. The Jets tried to bring in another true challenger in Garrard.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnysd View Post
    I am all for competition in professional football. I think it makes players work harder and play better. Stay in shape, study. All of that I get it.

But to me it does not always make sense as in the case of the Jets QB position.

I have a hard time wrapping my head around why Sanchez is included in the QB competition. To me it sends the message that what he accomplishes in practice and pre-season games overrides the four years of history he has at the position. We don't need a competition to know what Sanchez is and what that is is not good enough.

Now I think that Geno should compete to start. I do not think he should be handed the starting position. But Simms and McElroy are token competition at best, and Sanchez should not even have the chance.

What the Jets should have done is cut Sanchez as a June 1 cut, and brought in some players that could actually compete with Geno.

But to trot Sanchez out there again because he wins a pre-season "competition" with a rookie (who is more talented than he is), just seems like a completely idiotic move and destined to be a complete failure. Not to mention the backlash from the fans if they do that. Plus I have no confidence Rex will get past his bias in determining the starter.
    It is simple. They are trying to protect Smith from failure. When they think is ready to succeed, he will start. Until then, Sanchez will take the beatings that poor WRs, TEs, and RBs will lead to.

All Pro
    geno will start. sanchez is done here. no worries.

Hall Of Fame
    Orlando from NYC (1998) Las Vegas from Orlando Fl (june 2007)
    we have poor running backs? goodson-ivory-powell-McKnight....are you for real????

Quote Originally Posted by Digetydog View Post
    It is simple. They are trying to protect Smith from failure. When they think is ready to succeed, he will start. Until then, Sanchez will take the beatings that poor WRs, TEs, and RBs will lead to.

Quote Originally Posted by Digetydog View Post
    Sanchez is part of the reason we think our receivers are so bad. The receivers never know when they are going to get the ball which leads to drops. and Sanchez is so blindingly inaccurate the receivers get less receptions. I am not saying we are all world at receiver, but they can be adequate I believe with a different QB at the helm. Hill WILL be a beast. He just needs time and someone other than Sanchez throwing at him. Kerley could be a pro bowler with good QB play.

Rookie
    I don't get this Sanchez will take the beating till Geno is ready line of thought. The consensus is that the OC and QB coaches MS has had were dreadful. Assuming this is true ( 20/20 hindsight Shotty might not have been an absolute horror) then MS deserves a chance to show his skills.

Geno has the better arm. MS has NFL experience. Shouldn't we be content to wait and see which one of these two can parley their skillset into the start?

Sanchez is part of the reason we think our receivers are so bad. The receivers never know when they are going to get the ball which leads to drops. and Sanchez is so blindingly inaccurate the receivers get less receptions. I am not saying we are all world at receiver, but they can be adequate I believe with a different QB at the helm. Hill WILL be a beast. He just needs time and someone other than Sanchez throwing at him. Kerley could be a pro bowler with good QB play.
    Our WRs and RBs are average. There for they suck. Sanchez cant succeed unless everyone else around him is future HOF and even then he is still below average. People dont get he is just a ICSH QB for us this year. Is is Henne in Jacks, Stanton in Indy, or Tebow in NJ last year. You already know he isnt a starter it is just that is what your stuck with. Lets face it this is not a competition. The team just wants it to look that way so it doesnt look as bad if they actually HAVE TO play him at some point this year.

Quote Originally Posted by LIJetsFan View Post
    I don't get this Sanchez will take the beating till Geno is ready line of thought. The consensus is that the OC and QB coaches MS has had were dreadful. Assuming this is true ( 20/20 hindsight Shotty might not have been an absolute horror) then MS deserves a chance to show his skills.

Geno has the better arm. MS has NFL experience. Shouldn't we be content to wait and see which one of these two can parley their skillset into the start?
    A four year starter with 2 different OCs does not in any way whatsoever deserve " a chance to show his skills". He has had almost 70 games to show his skills and he has failed completely. People defending Sanchez and wanting him to start is completely mind boggling.

All League

what's mind-boggling is this statement. Geno is more talented that Sanchez based on what exactly? The fact that he would have been the first QB selected in the draft...except he wasn't...and then he fell into the mid-second round?

the reason Sanchez is competing for the job is that there's a high likelihood that Geno sucks worse than Sanchez does. The fact that there's a slight chance Sanchez will turn things around and become a top half of the league starter is also a factor. Those are the two reasons -- and it's really not that complicated.

Quote Originally Posted by gaffneycatch View Post
    what's mind-boggling is this statement. Geno is more talented that Sanchez based on what exactly? The fact that he would have been the first QB selected in the draft...except he wasn't...and then he fell into the mid-second round?

the reason Sanchez is competing for the job is that there's a high likelihood that Geno sucks worse than Sanchez does. The fact that there's a slight chance Sanchez will turn things around and become a top half of the league starter is also a factor. Those are the two reasons -- and it's really not that complicated.
    Great post.

I doubt that more than 5% of Jets fans actually want to see Sanchez win the camp battle. But that doesn't change the fact that Geno should have to beat him out.

we have a competition because we have to keep Sanchez due to contract reasons and Geno Smith, as a rookie, is a complete unknown.

if Sanchez is as awful as most people around here believe he is, then Geno should have no trouble winning the job.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenWave View Post
    Great post.

I doubt that more than 5% of Jets fans actually want to see Sanchez win the camp battle. But that doesn't change the fact that Geno should have to beat him out.
    Beat him out in camp? That does not prove anything when your talking about Sanchez.. We had to hear Rex and the OCs say how great mark looked in practice..mark himself use to step on podium after a bad game and say " had a great week in practice don't know what happened.. Yada yada...." He obviously has become a good practice player, but when guys coming at him hit for real he loses his focus and makes bonehead decisions I'm sure he doesn't show in camp/practice.. So he should not be allowed to start just because he looks better in camp, because we all have seen him in the real games.. Geno deserves a chance in real games.. He can't do any worse than #6 and even if he did he will likely learn from his mistakes, something mark could NEVER do..

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfreak View Post
    we have poor running backs? goodson-ivory-powell-McKnight....are you for real????
    Have any of them played in a pro bowl? Are any of them in the Top 10? Because of the pot, Goodson is likely to miss games even if he is acquitted of the gun charge.

There is potential there, but no sure thing.

Rebuilding the offense will take time. During the bad times, there is no reason to rush Smith. If Sanchez fails again, Smith will be playing quickly. If Sanchez plays well, there is no reason to rush Smith.
    Last edited by Digetydog; 06-27-2013 at 05:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gaffneycatch View Post

Better arm, much more athletic.

Sanchez has an average arm, is inaccurate, can't read defenses, and is mentally weak. Bad combination.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by detectivekimble View Post

Sanchez has an average arm, is inaccurate, can't read defenses, and is mentally weak. Bad combination.
    Based on the video, Smith is probably also a better dancer

Quote Originally Posted by Cleansweep2013 View Post
    Beat him out in camp? That does not prove anything when your talking about Sanchez.. We had to hear Rex and the OCs say how great mark looked in practice..mark himself use to step on podium after a bad game and say " had a great week in practice don't know what happened.. Yada yada...." He obviously has become a good practice player, but when guys coming at him hit for real he loses his focus and makes bonehead decisions I'm sure he doesn't show in camp/practice.. So he should not be allowed to start just because he looks better in camp, because we all have seen him in the real games.. Geno deserves a chance in real games.. He can't do any worse than #6 and even if he did he will likely learn from his mistakes, something mark could NEVER do..
    I agree that Geno deserves his shot. And if Sanchez plays to 2012 form, that shot will come sooner rather than later, even if Sanchez is the better "practice player" at this point.

Regardless, I don't think the job should be handed to Geno if he's not outplaying Sanchez in camp.

The arm and athleticism is true. But who's the say the other four qualities won't apply to Geno as well? We just don't know yet.

Just so it's clear, I'm pulling for Geno as hard as anyone else. But as Dirt said, if Sanchez is as terrible as we all think he is, then Geno should have no problem beating him out in camp OR at least showing enough to keep Sanchez on a short leash.

I never understood the Sanchez pick. I seriously lost money telling people there was no way he would go top 16. There was almost no interest in him at all other then us and Washington. Washington had Campbell at the time who was coming off a good year. Mark was just not 1st round talent IMO I had him as the 5th best QB that year. I had Painter and Nate Davis as better. There just wasnt enough on Sanchez to say he was worth a high pick. Geno has 1st round talent but handled the draft poorly. There was no denying he was up there talent wise it was all attitude questions. By all accounts teams said his interviews went poorly and he was always on his phone. I honestly dont blame him for firing his agent that was mainly his fault not Genos IMO. He obviously wasnt prepped on how to make an impression in these interviews. Overall he is a much better prospect then Sanchez ever was. Better arm, better accuracy, faster, bigger, smarter, more of a leader, more proven overall. He just isnt the pretty boy that everyone loves for no reason. Which is odd to say because to me Sanchez looked like a special needs kid. He was backed by Joe and a few guys trying to sell football in Mexico and we bought the product not the player IMO. He was no better a QB then Tim Tebow IMO.

All League
    Hopefully we will not only have a new QB, but a new HC as well.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    I never understood the Sanchez pick. I seriously lost money telling people there was no way he would go top 16. There was almost no interest in him at all other then us and Washington. Washington had Campbell at the time who was coming off a good year. Mark was just not 1st round talent IMO I had him as the 5th best QB that year. I had Painter and Nate Davis as better. There just wasnt enough on Sanchez to say he was worth a high pick. Geno has 1st round talent but handled the draft poorly. There was no denying he was up there talent wise it was all attitude questions. By all accounts teams said his interviews went poorly and he was always on his phone. I honestly dont blame him for firing his agent that was mainly his fault not Genos IMO. He obviously wasnt prepped on how to make an impression in these interviews. Overall he is a much better prospect then Sanchez ever was. Better arm, better accuracy, faster, bigger, smarter, more of a leader, more proven overall. He just isnt the pretty boy that everyone loves for no reason. Which is odd to say because to me Sanchez looked like a special needs kid. He was backed by Joe and a few guys trying to sell football in Mexico and we bought the product not the player IMO. He was no better a QB then Tim Tebow IMO.
    In other words.... Geno is not too smart. Not an important ingredient for a starting QB