Thread: " Take 5 : Jets vets on the bubble " ~ ~ ~

Hall Of Fame

Arrow " Take 5 : Jets vets on the bubble " ~ ~ ~

Continuing our "Take 5" series, we look at which veteran players will be fighting for jobs in training camp. It will be an intense camp, as GM John Idzik has been singing the "competition" song from the moment he arrived. Here's our list of those whose jobs are the most tenuous :

1. G/T Vladimir Ducasse : This is a make-or-break year for the former second-round pick. His biggest ally, former GM Mike Tannenbaum, is gone, meaning his scholarship has expired. Ducasse played every position except center during the offseason, helping his chances. But with three draft picks and improved depth, he'll actually have to earn his spot.

2. QB Greg McElroy : Former seventh-round picks don't get to hang around forever. This will be McElroy's third year, and he's battling Matt Simms for the No. 3 job -- if there is a No. 3 job. QBs coach David Lee has been trying to get him to take more chances, throwing downfield instead of opting for check-downs.

3. WR Clyde Gates : Rex Ryan keeps telling everyone that Gates is one of the fastest players in the league. He might be right, but even when he's healthy (which hasn't been often), Gates doesn't play to his speed. He's here because former OC Tony Sparano liked him from their days in Miami. Now Sparano is in Oakland. By the end of August, they could be reunited.

4. TE Konrad Reuland : The arrival of Kellen Winslow Jr. could jeopardize Reuland's spot on the roster. They're basically the same type of player -- pass-catching tight ends. Reuland's fate could be tied to Winslow's health; a chronic knee condition makes it 50-50 that the former Pro Bowler lasts through training camp.

5. RB Bilal Powell : The Jets acquired two backs in the offseason, Chris Ivory and Mike Goodson, an indication they don't view Powell as a long-term answer. The same could be said of Joe McKnight, but he has value as a kickoff returner. Powell has to find a niche. His value increases if Goodson is suspended for his recent arrest.

> http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jet...-on-the-bubble

Jets Insider VIP
    Bilel powell is young and cheap. i see no reason why they would let him walk.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe W. Namath View Post
    Bilel powell is young and cheap. i see no reason why they would let him walk.
    Yeah, but it may depend if he can play special teams. McKnight can return the ball and with McKnight they already have 3 RBs, a #4 RB who can't play special teams isn't really a commodity in the NFL. I'm not saying he can't be good, but the NFL cut lists are littered with 24 year old RBs. Powell is only 6 months younger than McKnight.

Personally, I expect him to make the team, but if they keep Hilliard and the 7th round FB they drafted play well in preseason, they you are talking about 6 RBs on the roster.

Jets Insider VIP
    I thought powell showed some flashes last year. id be surprised if he got cut.

Hall Of Fame
    powell should make the final roster...

All Pro
    I don't see us having 2 FB's on the roster ... if T-Bo can start, Hilliard will be gone, if not they'll keep Hilliard another year and put T-Bo on the PS.

Veteran
    i think Hilliard is gone. Bohannon can block and catch out of the backfield. who know though, with the lack of talent at the TE spot, maybe one of these guys are moved to the TE/H-back spot.

is Josh Baker healthy? any chance he comes back? i liked him.

Reuland and Winslow are NOT the same type of player.
    I would add Stephen Peterman as a surprise cut. The guy sucks and we may have better options on this team that are younger.

Quote Originally Posted by Batmans A Scientist View Post
    Yeah, but it may depend if he can play special teams. McKnight can return the ball and with McKnight they already have 3 RBs, a #4 RB who can't play special teams isn't really a commodity in the NFL. I'm not saying he can't be good, but the NFL cut lists are littered with 24 year old RBs. Powell is only 6 months younger than McKnight.

Personally, I expect him to make the team, but if they keep Hilliard and the 7th round FB they drafted play well in preseason, they you are talking about 6 RBs on the roster.
    McKnight also fits the new O better. Ivory will be the power back and McKnight and Goodson will play splits IMO. I just dont see where Powell fits anymore. Griffin could very well make the team over Powell.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by kennyo7 View Post
    Reuland and Winslow are NOT the same type of player.
    I would add Stephen Peterman as a surprise cut. The guy sucks and we may have better options on this team that are younger.
    I'm always confused about Reuland - first he's a blocking TE, then he's a receiving TE ... I thought Cumby was more the receiver type with below average blocking, and Reuland was the opposite?

If anyone at TE doesn't make he team I think Smith would be the likely candidate - PS him for another year, I'm sure he's still eligible.

Peterman makes sense as a cut ... I think as soon as we grabbed Winters he went from playing for a starting job to playing for a back up job. He's got experience, but if any of the younger guys shows more ability he'll be in trouble.

Powell can protect the QB

Quote Originally Posted by heymangold View Post
    i think Hilliard is gone. Bohannon can block and catch out of the backfield. who know though, with the lack of talent at the TE spot, maybe one of these guys are moved to the TE/H-back spot.

is Josh Baker healthy? any chance he comes back? i liked him.
    Been away for awhile and decided to check back in......Josh actually has been going full speed and participating in all drills, thankfully! Fortunately, the injury was not as bad as initially thought and no other ligaments needed attention, only the ACL! He is and has been working his butt off and his agent is placing calls as we speak to get him workouts. With that, I doubt he will be back in a Jets uniform, unless they bring him in for a workout and physical in short order.
    KB

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetdawgg View Post
    Powell can protect the QB...once we get one
    fixed ^ ^...