Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Celtics / Nets trade....thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by DevsJetsYanks88 View Post
    KG still brings the defensive intensity, but Pierce is pretty much done in that regard IMO. He's incredibly slow at this point and was getting effectively guarded by 6'1" point guards in the Knicks series, for example. That being said, I like this trade a lot for both teams. The Nets were pretty much strapped with their cap situation for the next couple seasons and this trade definitely makes them better. KG should be a great complement to Lopez in the paint. I certainly think the Nets made the leap to second best team in the East.
    It was a good trade for the Nets they had no other real options.

Re: Knicks trading for Bargnani. At first I hated the move but on closer look it actually makes sense. Bargnani is actually a good perimeter shooter and scorer when healthy. Dump the ball inside to Melo where he loves to get it and then he kicks out to Bargnani for the 3. Plus the Knicks are no longer beholden to JR Smith. Giving that thug a multiple year deal at around $7 mil per would have been insane. Plus the Knicks gave up nothing (scrub Novak, Camby who should be retired and a late 1st rd pick)

Quote Originally Posted by detjetsfan View Post
    It was a good trade for the Nets they had no other real options.

Re: Knicks trading for Bargnani. At first I hated the move but on closer look it actually makes sense. Bargnani is actually a good perimeter shooter and scorer when healthy. Dump the ball inside to Melo where he loves to get it and then he kicks out to Bargnani for the 3. Plus the Knicks are no longer beholden to JR Smith. Giving that thug a multiple year deal at around $7 mil per would have been insane. Plus the Knicks gave up nothing (scrub Novak, Camby who should be retired and a late 1st rd pick)
    I like the move, as well. Very low risk. With no real cap room, they needed to get creative to make some tweaks to make the team better and his contract only runs in the next couple seasons where they're strapped anyway. Not to mention, it's nice to get rid of Novak and Camby's awful multi-year deals.

Quote Originally Posted by DevsJetsYanks88 View Post
    I like the move, as well. Very low risk. With no real cap room, they needed to get creative to make some tweaks to make the team better and his contract only runs in the next couple seasons where they're strapped anyway. Not to mention, it's nice to get rid of Novak and Camby's awful multi-year deals.
    +1

This trade also creates cap room for the summer of 2015 which is the next conceivable time the Knicks can get under the cap again. I heard the Knicks are interested in Aaron Brooks and Elton Brand. Both make sense. Another option and one that will be dirt cheap is Sam Young the swingman from the Pacers. The guy is a very good defender, young and strong he even gave both Carmelo and Lebron trouble in the playoffs. I heard in college he used to sleep on an air mattress in the lockerroom and never go to his dorm. Now that's hardcore.

All Pro
    Brooklyn signed ex Raptor Alan Anderson to their 15th and final roster spot. I remember this guy torching the Knicks last year in a couple of games. Another nice option off the bench, who can score beyond the arc. The Nets have an amazing starting 5, now they have a very solid bench. Big things next year

Quote Originally Posted by 2009fatman View Post
    I love the trade. Any Net fan would be crazy not to love this trade. We still have the big three. I just didn't like the fact that we gave up Marshon Brooks instead of Reggie Evans. KG and PP bring the toughness and defense this team was lacking against the Bulls in the playoffs. Celtics had to be out of their minds taking the Gerald Wallace contract off our hands.
    Still think I'm crazy? Can we trade them everything back for Kelly Olynyk?

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    Still think I'm crazy? Can we trade them everything back for Kelly Olynyk?
    LOLz. Hey its early.

Quote Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
    LOLz. Hey its early.
    5 losses in a row and they look like they are rolling over already. Sorry if I dont see hope with them. The trade was a mistake they traded away their future for nothing IMO.

5 losses in a row and they look like they are rolling over already. Sorry if I dont see hope with them. The trade was a mistake they traded away their future for nothing IMO.
    I was way off thinking the KG trade would have helped the Nets this year but in my defense pretty much everyone else thought the same thing. I even heard smoe analysts call the Nets the second best team in the East before the season started. This team was just not that good to begin with and then you're adding Pierce who is nothing more than a name at this point and KG is a glorified role player. Kidd is getting all the blame which I think is completely unfair this roster is just not that good.

As insane as it sounds out of the two NY teams the Knicks actually have a shot at turning it around (sorta). In a couple weeks they'll have Chandler back and the East is so terrible this season 35 wins might actually get you the 8th seed. All I'm saying is the knicks have a shot at the 8th seed once Chandy comes back. Nothing more.

Knicks completely own the Nets in their own building. So much for the Nets taking over a NY and the worst part is with the contracts they are locked into they are stuck with this team the next several years and they won't be able to to blame Kidd for much longer after he's fired by the all-star break. Knicks get Chandy back they actually have a shot at winning the Atlantic Division where 38 wins is enough to win it all and get a 4th seed. Crazy stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by greenwichjetfan View Post
    JKidd trying to coach KG and Pierce, while DWill is dribbling around and jackin up 3s. Good thing they got rid of crash...his reckless style likely could end kg or pierces career.

As a Knicks fan, I hate this trade. It's terrible for the Nets and great for the Cs. Paying through the ass in future considerations for limited short term gain, while Lebron is currently ****ting on the league.

This unfortunately sets the Cs up well for a run in 2018-2025ish, when Lebron starts to age and Dwade is retired due to his body breaking down.
    Yea.

All Pro
    I still like the trade. The only move I don't like now, but at the time I did was naming Jason Kidd as HC. Kidd clearly was not ready for this job, and think Billly King made a huge mistake letting PJ go. This team won almost 50 games last year, and if not for a dumb play by CJ Watson in game 4, would have went to the 2nd round and PJ would still be here. Even so, I see them easily winning their division once the walking wounded are back and healthy in a very weak Atlantic division. They just need to come together as a team and be totally healthy come playoff time, which is where getting PP and KG will pay off big time against Miami or Indy.

All Pro
    Not one Net player the Celtics got in the trade is starting right now. The only one who's playing half way decent is Hump. Plus the Celtics took that huge Wallace contract off their hands.

Lopez is done for the season with that any PO hopes IMO. With Lopez this was a 6th seed at best. Without him it is a team with 4 over the hill starters and Williams who doesnt care and 0 bench. This was soo worth giving up all of our draft picks till like 2018.

Lopez is done for the season with that any PO hopes IMO. With Lopez this was a 6th seed at best. Without him it is a team with 4 over the hill starters and Williams who doesnt care and 0 bench. This was soo worth giving up all of our draft picks till like 2018.
    If Lopez doesn't get hurt the Nets probably win the Atlantic division. They overachieved last year under PJ and when Deron choked in the playoffs Prokhorov overreacted and canned him. Kidd will be the next scapegoat. Nets need to get under the cap for 2015 just like the Knicks are doing.

Quote Originally Posted by detjetsfan View Post
    If Lopez doesn't get hurt the Nets probably win the Atlantic division. They overachieved last year under PJ and when Deron choked in the playoffs Prokhorov overreacted and canned him. Kidd will be the next scapegoat. Nets need to get under the cap for 2015 just like the Knicks are doing.
    Kidd doesn't coach, he hangs out and looks confused as his assistants try to coach.

All Pro
    Billy King should go before Kidd does. He got that big contract last year off the amazing job PJ did. Gotta get a new GM first, and let him decide Kidd's fate for next year. Kidd does look lackadaisical on the bench. Just hope he sticks with it and gets better.
    Last edited by 2009fatman; 12-27-2013 at 08:59 AM.

Billy King should go before Kidd does. He got that big contract last year off the amazing job PJ did. Gotta get a new GM first, and let him decide Kidd's fate for next year. Kidd does look lackadaisical on the bench. Just hope he sticks with it and gets better.
    I want PJ in 2015 for the Knicks. Blow it up for both local teams. Knicks are the worst team in the NBA amazing how you can go from 54-28 to worst in the league. Bye bye Carmelo, Steve Mills go back to getting coffee and blowing Dolan, hire a new GM and a new HC (even though this is not Woodson's fault) and get that $40 mil under the cap in '15. Do the Knicks still have their 1st round pick in '15 because we will be picking in the top 3 guaranteed.

King and Kidd both need to go. It is amazing how long King has been a NBA GM, he's been average at best through out his career.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by cr726 View Post
    Kidd doesn't coach, he hangs out and looks confused as his assistants try to coach.
    Which makes his treatment of Frank puzzling. I was a huge Kidd fan when he played. He hasn't impressed at all behind tge bench.

Quote Originally Posted by JumbalayaJet View Post
    Which makes his treatment of Frank puzzling. I was a huge Kidd fan when he played. He hasn't impressed at all behind tge bench.
    It appears that Kidd is in over his head and didn't like his players asking Frank and not him. Kidd wore a microphone on X-mas day and everyone was shocked about how little he said, he didn't coach at all.