Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Re-visiting Belichick's draft history

He's drafted 10 guys that have been named to an AP all-pro team not counting special teamers. Only 2 of them (Seymour and Mayo) came in the top half of the first round. He's not a god, but he isn't some scrub either.
    Last edited by Rah_Rah_19; 06-28-2013 at 12:29 PM.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by AFCEastFan View Post
    Agree with all this. It is the idea that 31 teams on draft day knew that Hernandez was a violent predator and took them off their draft board that I dispute.
    Its ridiculous to think 31 teams had him completely off the board. So if the Pats never drafted him, he would've never been in the league? C'mon. I do think once he was there, they knew he was a lowlife scum, but looked the other way

Jets Insider VIP
    Agree with all this. It is the idea that 31 teams on draft day knew that Hernandez was a violent predator and took them off their draft board that I dispute.
    Look, no one knew the guy was going to become a murderer. And while ALL 31 OTHER TEAMS may not have removed him from their draft board it's looking pretty clear that many or most had. At a minimum, no one besides the Patriots thought about taking him higher than Round 4. Might some other team have jumped on him in Round 6, possibly. The point is that everyone knew Hernandez was a great talent (late 1st, early 2nd is what most seem to say about him talent-wise) and it's looking like everyone knew he had some serious, serious character and legal issues around him. But ONLY the Patriots made the decision to take him.

So would 31 teams never consider taking him, who knows. But it's pretty clear that all except the Patriots were steering very clear of this guy.
    Last edited by jetstream23; 06-28-2013 at 12:42 PM.

All League
    don't you wish we sucked as bad as the Pat's do?

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by BRONX JET View Post
    Its ridiculous to think 31 teams had him completely off the board. So if the Pats never drafted him, he would've never been in the league? C'mon. I do think once he was there,they knew he was a lowlife scum, but looked the other way
    THIS.

Belichick isn't a dummy. They knew this guy was trouble and they tolerated it and hoped it wouldn't bite them in the ass all the way up to when he was arrested for 1st degree murder.

Doesn't anyone think it's sad that they hung on up until the very last minute? I mean, let's be real here, it's a probable fact that less than 5 minutes after Aaron Hernandez was released by the Patriots he stepped into a prison never to see the light of day again.

This wasn't the Patriots telling the world, "this guy is bad news and we don't want him anymore." The legal system took him away from the Patriots in handcuffs and only then did the Patriots cut him. Make no mistake about it....the previous shooting in Florida, the destruction of crime scene evidence, the lack of cooperation with police....it was all tolerated by the Patriots. He wasn't cut, he was taken off the team in handcuffs.
    Last edited by jetstream23; 06-28-2013 at 12:45 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by PocketJet View Post
    Not really.

If drafting gang members who eventually conduct multiple homicides is the measuring stick, then no...I don't wish the Jets were as good as the Pats at that.

Quote Originally Posted by jetstream23 View Post
    Look, no one knew the guy was going to become a murderer. And while ALL 31 OTHER TEAMS may not have removed him from their draft board it's looking pretty clear that many or most had. At a minimum, no one besides the Patriots thought about taking him higher than Round 4. Might some other team have jumped on him in Round 6, possibly. The point is that everyone knew Hernandez was a great talent (late 1st, early 2nd is what most seem to say about him talent-wise) and it's looking like everyone knew he had some serious, serious character and legal issues around him. But ONLY the Patriots made the decision to take him.

So would 31 teams never consider taking him, who knows. But it's pretty clear that most were steering very clear of this guy.
    I hear what you're saying -- and maybe I'm not reading the right sources -- but I haven't seen any evidence of the bolded comments.

The Patriots passed on him FIVE times in that draft, including to draft the immortal Taylor Price. So they were steering very clear of him too. And if the Pats drafted Dennis Pitta in that spot, are we really saying that the Ravens would have passed on AH? Who knows, but I think there's a very good chance that they would have drafted him.

Dup post. Sorry.
    Last edited by AFCEastFan; 06-28-2013 at 12:45 PM.

Having Tom Brady makes it easy to forget all the other failures. Belichick is supposedly a defensive guru and yet his defenses have been the reason why they haven't been able to win a super bowl in recent memory.
    The inadequate supporting cast and defense is all on belichick. I don't care how close they have come. No one cares that the jets recently made it to two afccg's.
    Taking chances on guys like moss, haynesworth, Hernandez is a sign of desperation from a coach with a losing record without Brady. Wouldn't be surprised if he retired when Brady retires.

There's also some hubris here. The Pats had this thing that their locker room, was unlike other teams. The Pat's liked to preen about their character guys and leaders. That they could then take a chance on a trouble maker because the Pat's culture would keep them walking the straight and narrow.

The Pat's Way - Cheat, lie , whine - and if that doesn't work - shoot 'em

Quote Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
    I didn't bring this up, you stated 31 teams removed him COMPLETELY off their draft boards.

How do you know this?
    I don't know this. I only posted what had been reported through the media.

But for you to ASSUME you know more about it than the media, is pure arrogance and stupidity. You're the one here that is trying to save face, I don't have to.

I didn't miss your point, I addressed it directly in my immediate response to you: Gronk -- still a great pick. Other picks since Pioli left -- generally solid. Not awful with or without Hernandez being labeled a good pick.
    Why is Gronk a great pick what has he done to help the team when they needed him? he was a no show in the superbowl against the Gmen he was a no show this year in the playoffs. if he was a jet he would have all the fans screaming that he dosent take care of himself and what not. Now was he worth a flyer in the second round with his injury history maybe maybe not still to early to tell for me. Does he have the talent yes can he stay on the field no thats why he dropped and the pats continue to show how there smarter than everyone else NOT. the have flash in the pans all the time guys make pro bowl cause they are wearing the pats uniform not cause they are special ( devin mccorty brandon meirweather laurence maroney) and then leave and do nothing

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

That's what I mean by "revisionist history". Happen to have a copy of those 31 scouting reports handy? Easy for teams to play the I told you so game after the guy gets arrested for first-degree murder.
    To be fair, teams spend a ton of money checking the past of players they will consider drafting. From checking backgrounds to interviewing people in his past. UM knew what he was. Scouting services don't.

Fans wouldn't know, Pats had to know. Everyone knew. Thats why teams passed on a player whos talent was a lot higher than a4. The Pats sure as sh1t knew what they were getting and took the risk with eyes open
    Last edited by Jet Nut; 06-28-2013 at 01:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jet Nut View Post
    To be fair, teams spend a ton of money checking the past of players they will consider drafting. From checking backgrounds to interviewing people in his past. UM knew what he was. Scouting services don't.

Fans wouldn't know, Pats had to know. They sure as sh1t knew what they were getting and took the risk with eyes open

Can't really blame the Patriots.

The FBI has vetted all potential presidents and they didn't even catch that Obama was born in Nigeria and is a Muslim terrorist.

Quote Originally Posted by jetstream23 View Post
    THIS.

Belichick isn't a dummy. They knew this guy was trouble and they tolerated it and hoped it wouldn't bite them in the ass all the way up to when he was arrested for 1st degree murder.

Doesn't anyone think it's sad that they hung on up until the very last minute? I mean, let's be real here, it's a probable fact that less than 5 minutes after Aaron Hernandez was released by the Patriots he stepped into a prison never to see the light of day again.

This wasn't the Patriots telling the world, "this guy is bad news and we don't want him anymore." The legal system took him away from the Patriots in handcuffs and only then did the Patriots cut him. Make no mistake about it....the previous shooting in Florida, the destruction of crime scene evidence, the lack of cooperation with police....it was all tolerated by the Patriots. He wasn't cut, he was taken off the team in handcuffs.
    The Patriots organization cares more about creating the myth that they are a class organization with high moral standards than actually being one. The "Patriots Way" is all hypocrisy and PR.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post
    I don't know this. I only posted what had been reported through the media..
    LINK?

Any media source will be fine.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Don't you wish you could go back to signing SAR I to these posts?

Quote Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
    LINK?

Any media source will be fine.

llbean doesn't put their news out on the internet. It's telegraphed
    Last edited by CleatMarks; 06-28-2013 at 02:52 PM.

Veteran
    Gronk was/is a legit great player.

Hernandez to me - on any other team - is no more than Dustin Keller. A great pick? No way. A good value pick (at the time)? Yes, for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post
    Do you have the info that says 31 other teams had him on their draft boards?! That's f*cking stupid.

Stop stating revisionist history sh*t, like someone actually fabricated the information now. The media is saying (and granted it is the media) that 31 other teams PASSED on him completely at that time according to sources they have with the league. In other words, they never so much as gave him consideration.
    Some media sources speculated that some teams may have removed him from their boards or dropped him on their boards based on pre-draft concerns. There's an unnamed source from one team saying they removed him, and another from another team saying they didn't. So its not "31 teams removed him completely."

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...ation/2443091/

I dislike the ****ing Pats as much as the next guy, but lets be truthful here.
    Last edited by Brooklyn Jet; 06-28-2013 at 03:05 PM.