Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Re-visiting Belichick's draft history

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
    Maybe. But he did.

Owner of 5 Super Bowl rings.

Hall of Fame first ballot lock.

And everyone know it
    I agree, but do the times make the man, or does the man make the times?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Hit hit the biggest grand slam of all-time in Brady and that has covered up for a lot of misses.

I still think Gronk was an excellent pick and two weeks ago I thought Hernandez was an excellent pick. I think Wilfork was a great pick as well as some of the OL they have picked over the years. Other than that, there isn't much to write home about.
    Belichick didn't take over making draft picks on his own until 2009, when Pioli went to the Chiefs. Belichick can't draft, that is why he is constantly trading draft picks for additional picks. He is a smart man, and knows he needs to get additional picks to make up for the high % of crap players he takes.

2009 draft was awful. 2010 was a good one for ten, but the recent Hernandez debacle and Gronk injuries puts a but of a damper on that one. I was scared sh*tless in 2011 that the Pats would trade up and grab JJ Waat, but instead they traded back and drafted Solder. Awful. They made a power move in 2012 moving up to grab Jones, who everyone immediately crowned as the next JPP, but he disappeared as the season went on. The 2013 draft was a complete headscratcher to me an to many draft analysts.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gastineau99 View Post
    Belichick didn't take over making draft picks on his own until 2009, when Pioli went to the Chiefs. Belichick can't draft, that is why he is constantly trading draft picks for additional picks. He is a smart man, and knows he needs to get additional picks to make up for the high % of crap players he takes.

2009 draft was awful. 2010 was a good one for ten, but the recent Hernandez debacle and Gronk injuries puts a but of a damper on that one. I was scared sh*tless in 2011 that the Pats would trade up and grab JJ Waat, but instead they traded back and drafted Solder. Awful. They made a power move in 2012 moving up to grab Jones, who everyone immediately crowned as the next JPP, but he disappeared as the season went on. The 2013 draft was a complete headscratcher to me an to many draft analysts.

It's true... Mayo, Spikes and Hightower are a top 5 lb corps. Mayo > Harris, btw. Younger and better.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JetsFanatic View Post
    I agree, but do the times make the man, or does the man make the times?
    Whoa,

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ASG0531 View Post
    It's true... Mayo, Spikes and Hightower are a top 5 lb corps. Mayo > Harris, btw. Younger and better.
    Mayo is good. I liked the Hightower pick, but lets not put them in the HOF just yet homer. Spikes is slow as molasses. Top 5? not even close ASG90210

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AFCEastFan View Post
    Gronk was a great pick even if he never plays another down. He's produced more in his short career than many highly-drafted TE's have produced in their lifetimes.

Hernandez obviously was a disaster in hindsight. But there is a lot of revisionist history going on as to why he fell to the 4th round. The main reason is that he was an inveterate pot smoker who failed multiple drug tests. Nobody (that I'm aware of) thought he was a psycho or future serial killer.

Ever since Pioli left, Belichick's drafts have gotten much better overall even apart from Gronk and Hernandez. He's not hitting home runs with every pick by any stretch, but he has drafted a number of very solid players over the last few years.
    He shot a guy in Dade county and then dumped him off in an industrial area of Riviera Beach a few years ago. So no, the history on this scumbag Patriot is not "revisionist".

By the way, are people forgetting that this is the same team that signed Dante Stallworth after he KILLED a pedestrian in Miami while driving drunk?

Really?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NY's stepchild View Post
    Mayo is good. I liked the Hightower pick, but lets not put them in the HOF just yet homer. Spikes is slow as molasses. Top 5? not even close ASG90210
    Mayo is ok he is insanely overrated by the media. If that's the most succesful defensive pick Belichick has made in the last 6 years he is in a major f'n slump.