Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Re-visiting Belichick's draft history

Re-visiting Belichick's draft history

For years, many of us have killed Belichick's draft history and only recently have pats fans come to his defense pointing to two amazing draft picks. Gronk and Hernandez. Now that we see why teams passed on Hernandez and why some teams probably passed on Gronk, is it safe to destroy belichick once again for being an awful draft evaluator?

Quote Originally Posted by revischrist View Post
    For years, many of us have killed Belichick's draft history and only recently have pats fans come to his defense pointing to two amazing draft picks. Gronk and Hernandez. Now that we see why teams passed on Hernandez and why some teams probably passed on Gronk, is it safe to destroy belichick once again for being an awful draft evaluator?
    Gronk was a great pick even if he never plays another down. He's produced more in his short career than many highly-drafted TE's have produced in their lifetimes.

Hernandez obviously was a disaster in hindsight. But there is a lot of revisionist history going on as to why he fell to the 4th round. The main reason is that he was an inveterate pot smoker who failed multiple drug tests. Nobody (that I'm aware of) thought he was a psycho or future serial killer.

Ever since Pioli left, Belichick's drafts have gotten much better overall even apart from Gronk and Hernandez. He's not hitting home runs with every pick by any stretch, but he has drafted a number of very solid players over the last few years.

Hall Of Fame
    Hit hit the biggest grand slam of all-time in Brady and that has covered up for a lot of misses.

I still think Gronk was an excellent pick and two weeks ago I thought Hernandez was an excellent pick. I think Wilfork was a great pick as well as some of the OL they have picked over the years. Other than that, there isn't much to write home about.

Quote Originally Posted by AFCEastFan View Post
    Gronk was a great pick even if he never plays another down. He's produced more in his short career than many highly-drafted TE's have produced in their lifetimes.

Hernandez obviously was a disaster in hindsight. But there is a lot of revisionist history going on as to why he fell to the 4th round. The main reason is that he was an inveterate pot smoker who failed multiple drug tests. Nobody (that I'm aware of) thought he was a psycho or future serial killer.

Ever since Pioli left, Belichick's drafts have gotten much better overall even apart from Gronk and Hernandez. He's not hitting home runs with every pick by any stretch, but he has drafted a number of very solid players over the last few years.
    Way to state only part of the information...

It wasn't just that he was an inveterate pot smoker. 31 other teams thought he hung out with absolute THUGS and saw potential gang affiliation and therefore they completely removed him from their draft board.

That's the WHOLE TRUTH.

Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post
    Way to state only part of the information...

It wasn't just that he was an inveterate pot smoker. 31 other teams thought he hung out with absolute THUGS and saw potential gang affiliation and therefore they completely removed him from their draft board.

That's the WHOLE TRUTH.
    That's what I mean by "revisionist history". Happen to have a copy of those 31 scouting reports handy? Easy for teams to play the I told you so game after the guy gets arrested for first-degree murder.
    Last edited by AFCEastFan; 06-28-2013 at 11:15 AM.

31 other teams thought he hung out with absolute THUGS and saw potential gang affiliation and therefore they completely removed him from their draft board.
    Please show that this is a fact.

Make your point, but don't re-write history.

Jets Insider VIP
    Images
    That's what I mean by "revisionist history". Happen to have a copy of those 31 scouting reports handy?
    Funny you should ask that...

An NFL scout revealed his team’s pre-draft file on Hernandez on Thursday, and one section stood out:

“Self-esteem is quite low; not well-adjusted emotionally, not happy, moods unpredictable, not stable, doesn’t take much to set him off, but not an especially jumpy guy,” the scout said.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/20...DcJ/story.html

Veteran
    [QUOTE=Mainejet;4919682]Way to state only part of the information...

That's the WHOLE TRUTH.[/

More than ever, I hate the offseason ... Threads like this suck, revisionist history, like Hernandez is the only one with a questionable past that gets drafted...yeah I hate the pats too, but c'mon...

Quote Originally Posted by rbstern View Post
    Funny you should ask that...

An NFL scout revealed his team’s pre-draft file on Hernandez on Thursday, and one section stood out:

“Self-esteem is quite low; not well-adjusted emotionally, not happy, moods unpredictable, not stable, doesn’t take much to set him off, but not an especially jumpy guy,” the scout said.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/20...DcJ/story.html
    Where's the part about him being a THUG with potential gang affiliation? That's what Maine was saying.

That's what I mean by "revisionist history". Happen to have a copy of those 31 scouting reports handy? Easy for teams to play the I told you so game after the guy gets arrested for first-degree murder.
    Do you have the info that says 31 other teams had him on their draft boards?! That's f*cking stupid.

Stop stating revisionist history sh*t, like someone actually fabricated the information now. The media is saying (and granted it is the media) that 31 other teams PASSED on him completely at that time according to sources they have with the league. In other words, they never so much as gave him consideration.

Jets Insider VIP
    Images
    Where's the part about him being a THUG with potential gang affiliation? That's what Maine was saying.
    Read the article...

The scout said Hernandez had long been around “street activity,” and once his father died, it gave him reason to act out.

“It was pretty well known that he had failed some drug tests at Florida, and there were questions about his maturity that come along with that,” the scout said. “You worried about the people he hung out with.

Quote Originally Posted by FF2® View Post
    Please show that this is a fact.

Make your point, but don't re-write history.
    Re-write history my A$$.

Making the case that you know MORE about 31 other teams draft boards is the very EXAMPLE of stupidity, you nitwit.

Jets Insider VIP
    Images
    I don't fault the Pats for taking a chance on Hernandez. Three observations from it:

1) Organizations take chances on players with a variety of physical and mental issues. It's an informed risk. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose.

2) The idea that the Patriots have a secret-genius formula that translates into draft prowess is absurd, as this episode demonstrates.

3) They clearly didn't handle Hernandez well once he was a member of the organization. Didn't keep close enough tabs on him, didn't steer him the right way. Didn't realize how troubled he was when giving him a huge contract. I'm actually surprised this doesn't happen more often, given the way Belichick interacts with the rest of the human race.

Re-write history my A$$.

Making the case that you know MORE about 31 other teams draft boards is the very EXAMPLE of stupidity, you nitwit.
    Some teams have reported concerns since his arrest. Saying it was all 31is pure speculation and hyperbole posed as 'fact'.

All 32 teams can now say he's a monster not worthy of selection.

It's not revisionist history by these other teams. Hernandez was a first round talent and every team, including the patriots dropped him because of his attitude and drug issues. That's why the patriots passed on him him in rounds 1-3.
    I'm sure a few teams had him completely off the draft board.
    Either way, you missed the point. My point was not that he should be killed for taking a chance, I'm saying my contention for years that he is a an awful draft evaluator is proving true once again. When one of the few "hits" turns out to be a killer and his mental state was at issue when he was drafted, then it's fair to reevaluate his evaluation skills.

I don't fault the Pats for taking a chance on Hernandez. Three observations from it:

1) Organizations take chances on players with a variety of physical and mental issues. It's an informed risk. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose.

2) The idea that the Patriots have a secret-genius formula that translates into draft prowess is absurd, as this episode demonstrates.

3) They clearly didn't handle Hernandez well once he was a member of the organization. Didn't keep close enough tabs on him, didn't steer him the right way. Didn't realize how troubled he was when giving him a huge contract. I'm actually surprised this doesn't happen more often, given the way Belichick interacts with the rest of the human race.
    Agree with all this. It is the idea that 31 teams on draft day knew that Hernandez was a violent predator and took them off their draft board that I dispute.

Re-write history my A$$.

I didn't bring this up, you stated 31 teams removed him COMPLETELY off their draft boards.

How do you know this?

All League

Do you have any children? Sometimes a child will stray from the right path despite the best efforts of good parents. The Pats organization may or may not have contributed to Hernandez's downfall, but the statement you made is baseless.

Quote Originally Posted by revischrist View Post
    Either way, you missed the point. My point was not that he should be killed for taking a chance, I'm saying my contention for years that he is a an awful draft evaluator is proving true once again. When one of the few "hits" turns out to be a killer and his mental state was at issue when he was drafted, then it's fair to reevaluate his evaluation skills.
    I didn't miss your point, I addressed it directly in my immediate response to you: Gronk -- still a great pick. Other picks since Pioli left -- generally solid. Not awful with or without Hernandez being labeled a good pick.