Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ivory

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

Ivory

I'm very concerned about if this kid can make it a whole NFL season. He has a terrible injury history. There are also pass protection issues and he really is not a pass catcher. I hate to say it, but he may be most effective with about 10 touches a game. Let Powell and Goodson do the rest. I started this thread to really see how people feel about our backfield. I think it's the key to our offense this year.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Don't we have an Ivory thread somewhere? I could have sworn we did.

Anyway, my main concerns are: A. Can he stay healthy?, and B. If so, can we be sure he can carry the load?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Probably, I didn't search.

I was going through his rotoworld notes. He also has had fumbling issues.

He may be the type of player you need to limit in practice and games to keep healthy. Sorta like Landry last year

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I haven't gone too much over his history, but what were his injuries anyway?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hamstring issues over his career, also foot issues.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think we would be better off with Ivory playing the Greene roll from 2009/2010. Come in and beat up on a tired defense. Maybe sprinkle in a couple of plays early in the game to get him touches b.c he is a talented back. There is no need to ask him to shoulder the load. We have Goodson, Powell and McKnight. Let Goodson and Powell get the carries early in the game and have McKnight and Ivory try to hit some HRs.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sanchez at QB

No effective WRs

Defenses crowd the box..

which means no running game..

Which means 4-12..

I HOPE I AM WRONG!!!!!!

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BRONX JET View Post
    Probably, I didn't search.

I was going through his rotoworld notes. He also has had fumbling issues.

He may be the type of player you need to limit in practice and games to keep healthy. Sorta like Landry last year
    fumbling issues.

and a QB that throws Interceptions..

I know are defense is what gives us a chance this year.. But we can't have our offense giving up more points than our defense..

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    There are some valid concerns in this thread, but Im personally not worried, mainly because I 100% disagree with cimini's notion that Powell is on the bubble - I actually think he is an invaluable member of this offense.

Powell is a solid, one-cut runner who can catch and pass protect and with Goodsons probable 1 game suspension and Ivorys propensity for injury, we need someone with NFL experience who can handle all 3 facets of being a RB.

As for Ivory's injury history, I think some of it was a bit overblown and used a as a reason for the saints to justify deactivating him. His lack of career receptions also looks very worrisome on paper, but was probably more of a function of being on a team with sproles. Also, dont forget for the past 2 seasons, our starting RB has been an awful receiver.

Turnonthejets.com had this stat which was pretty telling -

Over the last three seasons, Ivory and Goodson combined have had 16 rushes of 20+ yards and 5 of 40+ yards despite just 394 combined carries. By comparison Greene has had 8 rushes over 20 yards and 0 over 40 in the same time frame despite having 714 carries.

That shows just how little explosiveness Greene had and how this should be addition by subtraction more then anything with this group. All in all, I think we will keep 4 RBs and use combinations of Ivory/Powell and goodson/mcknight either in the slot or moving pre-snap, to throw teams off balance.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BRONX JET View Post
    Hamstring issues over his career, also foot issues.
    He had different injuries. Also there was talk that they put him on IR to protect a roster spot, and then held him out when he was healthy for the same reason. He fumbled 4 times in 2010. 0 in 2011, and 2012. SOJFs always find a reason to complain. He also has 0 dropped passes, and only 1 blown pass protection, where he did actually dive to get enough of his man for Brees to get the ball off.
    Last edited by NY's stepchild; 06-30-2013 at 09:00 AM.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NY's stepchild View Post
    He had different injuries. Also there was talk that they put him on IR to protect a roster spot, and then held him out when he was healthy for the same reason. He fumbled 4 times in 2010. 0 in 2011, and 2012. SOJFs always find a reason to complain. He also has 0 dropped passes, and only 1 blown pass protection, where he did actually dive to get enough of his man for Brees to get the ball off.
    It's amazing what people come up with when they wake up early on a sunday thinking about the Jets.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Powell will be the best back on the team this year. He is the most reliable and well rounded of the 3.

But overall, our backs are average at best.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    I think we would be better off with Ivory playing the Greene roll from 2009/2010. Come in and beat up on a tired defense. Maybe sprinkle in a couple of plays early in the game to get him touches b.c he is a talented back. There is no need to ask him to shoulder the load. We have Goodson, Powell and McKnight. Let Goodson and Powell get the carries early in the game and have McKnight and Ivory try to hit some HRs.
    + 1 My thoughts as well

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe W. Namath View Post
    Powell will be the best back on the team this year. He is the most reliable and well rounded of the 3.

I reached out to Sam Monson, Senior Analyst at Pro Football Focus about Ivory’s prospects with the Jets and he had the following to say -

Chris Ivory has always been at or near the top of our Elusive Rating, which combines missed tackles forced per touch and yards per carry after contact, but he rarely if ever makes the threshold in terms of touches to be included in the final study lists.

Despite only having 51 touches last season in Oakland, Goodson had four plays over forty yards. In 2010, there were two games he received 20 carries or more and in both games he went over 100 yards.

As you can see, the potential of a Ivory/Goodson duo likely has new offensive coordinator Marty Mornhinweg ecstatic. If healthy, Ivory should be a bell-cow back taking the bulk of carries on early downs, while Goodson is the third down back and contributes on passing downs and for certain outside handoffs or stretch plays. In terms of talent, both exceed Bilal Powell substantially who should fall into the role of a swing backup.

Average at best. Powell is for sure the best back on the team.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    I also think many are under rating Powell, we all saw flashes last year behind a so so line. He was also still learning and playing in a system where the defense for the most part knew what was coming.
    I am really interested to see how he does in TC this year and if he is as good as many of us expect him to be Certainly with the history of our two new additions, I think the Jets would be foolish not to carry 4 RB's this year.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by fltflo View Post
    I also think many are under rating Powell, we all saw flashes last year behind a so so line. He was also still learning and playing in a system where the defense for the most part knew what was coming.
    I am really interested to see how he does in TC this year and if he is as good as many of us expect him to be Certainly with the history of our two new additions, I think the Jets would be foolish not to carry 4 RB's this year.
    I think Powell will be Ivory's backup. Goodson is a change of pace, third down type back. I think Powell is a good solid back. Ivory can take over a game if he can stay healthy. From what I've seen, he can catch, and block too. Never missed an assignment, or dropped a pass the rare times he was asked to do it. Just on the Saints he was behind a few very good players, and it seems they were trying to hide him, and then ran out of time and quickly decided to get what they could for him.

McKnight has the talent. All he needs to do is step up. Maybe Sporano really never talked to him. He's got TC, and preseason to show it. We might keep 4 backs. McKnight can run, catch, even split out as a WR, or in the slot, and return kicks. Play DB in a pinch. If he can hold on to the ball, learn to read a blitz, and pick it up I think he'd be great. I really wish he could field punts. That would secure him a spot right there.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NY's stepchild View Post
    I think Powell will be Ivory's backup. Goodson is a change of pace, third down type back. I think Powell is a good solid back. Ivory can take over a game if he can stay healthy. From what I've seen, he can catch, and block too. Never missed an assignment, or dropped a pass the rare times he was asked to do it. Just on the Saints he was behind a few very good players, and it seems they were trying to hide him, and then ran out of time and quickly decided to get what they could for him.

McKnight has the talent. All he needs to do is step up. Maybe Sporano really never talked to him. He's got TC, and preseason to show it. We might keep 4 backs. McKnight can run, catch, even split out as a WR, or in the slot, and return kicks. Play DB in a pinch. If he can hold on to the ball, learn to read a blitz, and pick it up I think he'd be great. I really wish he could field punts. That would secure him a spot right there.
    The longest run from scrimmage(61) last season was McKnight who had only 30 carries last year..

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    powell=poor man's curtis martin. not really fast, not real powerful, but knows where to run with the ball. not at all flashy, doesnt ever look like he runs at full speed, almost at a jogging pace, but knows where to go and can hold onto the ball.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe W. Namath View Post

We need a RB who can chip block and catch a pass in the flats. Supposedly that was going to be Mike Goodson. Hopefully Goodson doesn't get a suspension/jail time.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    If Ivory stays healthy, I bet he gets over 1200 yards rushing this year.