Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Stop blaming the 2012 O line

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Needless to say, the Mark is going to be just fine group will not like this article.
    Every time I read something like this, it brings up a major flaw in my mind that Idzik has not addressed, yet.
    As much as folks here did not think Gerrard was anything special,he was a proven winner when healthy. Solid insurance against a repeat of the QB play from last year and a excellent mentor for Smith. Losing him has left a very large hole that the Jets may very well fall into.
    It is still my hope that the Jets can swing some kind of trade for a solid veteran QB. One could hope that it would be someone with experience in MM system. If not, then somebody we can get , at or before the beginning of training camp to learn MM system.
    The one young arm I would love to entice away would be Foles from the Eagles. Yet,with Vick's injury history I don't see the Eagles taking that chance.
    Short of that, I would take any of the older QB's who have played in Marty's system and have had some success.
    Going into the season with Mark as our only experience starter frightens the hell out of me. While I have hope for Geno's future, unless he dazzles in TC and preseason and clearly beats out Mark I would hesitant to throw him to the wolves.
    Right now our QB situation consist of the past, the future, 2 maybe's and no present. My hope is IdIk will correct this somehow and do it soon.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    seriously though, if I was the Mark the Retard Davis, the owner of the hapless and hopeless raiders and looking at Matt Flynn, Terrelle Pryor and god knows what other camp fodder is in their quarterback stud stable, I'd offer the Jets the Raiders first round pick in 2014 and second round picks in 2015 and 2016 for Mark Sanchez if the Jets agreed to pay half of his remaining 2013 and 2014 salary hits.

It would be a good deal for the Jets, of course but given that the Raiders are the worst team in football by miles and have the worst quarterback stud stable in the history of football, I'd do it in a heartbeat if I were Davis

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Nut View Post
    I love when Raider90210 comes here, reads numbers or rankings and tells us we're so much worse. There's always a reason why. Didn't pass much, played bad defenses. Always the dumb ass explanation.

And amazingly the opposite is always true with the Raiders. They're always much better than what the numbers say their units are.

How does that always happen?
    It's actually quite simple. When you watch the game, the numbers of the game never equate to what you saw on the field with your own eyes. Take for example the Dolphins/Jets game known as the Monday Night Miracle.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinstar View Post
    It's actually quite simple. When you watch the game, the numbers of the game never equate to what you saw on the field with your own eyes. Take for example the Dolphins/Jets game known as the Monday Night Miracle.
    Never? Thats wrong, and numbers from one game are another story all together.

But has nothing to do with point, Im not big on numbers either but no matter the number the Jets are always much worse than the numbers. And his team is much better than what their numbers are.

There is no way he watches every game.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RazorJet View Post
    Stop blaming the 2012 o-line???
    NO
    and you can't make me.
    Oh yeah? Well hows 'bout I pull a Hernandez on the pup here?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    The 2011 line wasn't even that bad either. Wayne hunter gets all the blame, but in reality, Sanchez MADE the line look worse than it really was due to his inability to audible and read defenses at the line.

Wayne hunter wasn't anywhere close to being the culprit for 2011. It was all on sanchez.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SRQman87 View Post
    The 2011 line wasn't even that bad either. Wayne hunter gets all the blame, but in reality, Sanchez MADE the line look worse than it really was due to his inability to audible and read defenses at the line.

Wayne hunter wasn't anywhere close to being the culprit for 2011. It was all on sanchez.
    Huh? Hunter was disgusting, the Rams have already cut him. He is a death sentence for any QB

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BRONX JET View Post
    Huh? Hunter was disgusting, the Rams have already cut him. He is a death sentence for any QB
    Especially a QB who is indecisive, has no pocket presence, has happy feet, throws with tremendous inaccuracy and locks on to a receiver.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BRONX JET View Post
    You really think hunter was completely to blame for 2011?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SRQman87 View Post
    You really think hunter was completely to blame for 2011?
    I think Hunter is horrible, that's why he out of the league. No team who wants good QB play would have him on their line. That's why no team has even invited him to camp

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kentucky Jet View Post
    Especially a QB who is indecisive, has no pocket presence, has happy feet, throws with tremendous inaccuracy and locks on to a receiver.
    If that QB is so terrible and the O-Line is really pretty good (Top 10 according to the poster), why is it that the same horrible QB was able to get us to the AFCCG 2years in a row with less experience as a QB?

I agree that Sanchez is a major disappointment. He flat out sucks. But to pin all the blame on him is intellectually dishonest. I get it. People around hear hate Sanchez and want him gone. But to ignore the fact that the team around him is devoid of talent on both sides, Offense and Defense is simply ignorant and doing the team a disservice.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    This thread is spot on, and I couldnt agree more - the line is far from a problem on this team.

We had a RB who was one of the worst in the league at making defenders miss - so basically any yards he got was what was blocked for him, nothing more. That is why our line ranked high, but the team had a poor rushing offense.

More importantly, how many times did we see sanchez move a RB when in the shotgun to protect him from a free rusher? The answer is never. Sanchez's in-game ability protect himself is terrible as is his ability to feel pressure - thats why he was sacked so much, not because the line couldnt hold long enough.

Lastly, we had an OC who never ran screen passes or misdirection, so defensive lineman had virtually no responsibility to maintain that gaps or cutback lanes, and instead were free to aggressively rush the passer (Sparano did the same thing with mcelroy vs san diego which resulted in 10 sacks even though our 2 best offensive plays that game were a screen pass and a misdirection to hayden smith which he never went back to).

Theres things to worry about on this team, the offensive line isnt one of them.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    This thread is spot on, and I couldnt agree more - the line is far from a problem on this team.

We had a RB who was one of the worst in the league at making defenders miss - so basically any yards he got was what was blocked for him, nothing more. That is why our line ranked high, but the team had a poor rushing offense.

More importantly, how many times did we see sanchez move a RB when in the shotgun to protect him from a free rusher? The answer is never. Sanchez's in-game ability protect himself is terrible as is his ability to feel pressure - thats why he was sacked so much, not because the line couldnt hold long enough.

Lastly, we had an OC who never ran screen passes or misdirection, so defensive lineman had virtually no responsibility to maintain that gaps or cutback lanes, and instead were free to aggressively rush the passer (Sparano did the same thing with mcelroy vs san diego which resulted in 10 sacks even though our 2 best offensive plays that game were a screen pass and a misdirection to hayden smith which he never went back to).

I actually feel sorry for you if you really believe what your trying to convince yourself. Yes Your Oline might not be your biggest problem on offense( have so many holes on offense that it pales in comparison to the other positions- so there some truth there).

Maybe your OC could call a little more screen passes if butt fumbler didn't have a penchant for throwing those passes to opposing dlineman.
    I ask this before do you honestly think the Jets had a top ten Oline in 2012 . IF they did than why did they replace two starting Olineman and hire a new Oline coach. Would any team in their right mind do that.
    This talk about Jets Oline is like saint fans trying to make a case their dline was top three. Totally unbelievable.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Raider9175 View Post
    I actually feel sorry for you if you really believe what your trying to convince yourself. Yes Your Oline might not be your biggest problem on offense( have so many holes on offense that it pales in comparison to the other positions- so there some truth there).

Maybe your OC could call a little more screen passes if butt fumbler didn't have a penchant for throwing those passes to opposing dlineman.
    I ask this before do you honestly think the Jets had a top ten Oline in 2012 . IF they did than why did they replace two starting Olineman and hire a new Oline coach. Would any team in their right mind do that.
    This talk about Jets Oline is like saint fans trying to make a case their dline was top three. Totally unbelievable.
    please just shut up, pick up your stupid a$$ed black skull and crossbones spiked game uniform and get the f**k out of here. Nobody gives a flying f**k what you think about the Jets or what you have to say about the Jets

YOUR RAIDERS FRIGGING SUCK

enjoy them

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I agree we can't blame it all on any one guy. Everybody who wasn't a homer knew the offense last year was gonna be atrocious going into the season. And it was.

Clyde Gates was cut by the fins for crying out loud

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    NO the Jets oline gave up 48 sacks throwing the football the sixth less time in the NFl. They were the 28th rank offense in the NFl. They replaced two /fifths of the oline (if Oline was that good would that have happened or would the Oline coach had been replaced).

Anyone who actually believes the Jets had the third ranked oline than you will probably believe just about anything. What next Sanchez is better than Joe Flacco and Eli Manning.
    And yet they finished 6-10 and the Raiders finished 4-12 (sorry bout that)

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sanchez apologists don't want to see articles like that, need to believe the line and everything else is to blame for #6 for being horrible.. I do like for once we actually have " depth" on Oline, MT did not understand the word..

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post

I tried to tell them this many times over the off season. They're not going to listen to reason. I'm pretty sure we were close to first in yards before contact, and last in yards after contact. Things were actually worse than you said, because teams have the book on Sanchez. They know how to confuse him in coverages, blitzes, and stunts, so they do it every down. They go hand in hand. He knows he's being baited in coverage, so he can't let go of the ball, and he can't shift protections on the line, or RBs, and he doesn't have chemistry with receivers on hot routes. Don't forget that we had the worst pass blocking RBs, and TEs in the league. The OC didn't even attempt to address this, unless it was to bring in Tebow whenever we actually did make a few plays. We're going to get back to more zone blocking, and 3 step drops anyway this year. At least it might keep teams from stunting, and blitzing every down. Should be fun to watch. I really think Marty could even make Sanchez look pretty good.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    NO the Jets oline gave up 48 sacks throwing the football the sixth less time in the NFl. They were the 28th rank offense in the NFl. They replaced two /fifths of the oline (if Oline was that good would that have happened or would the Oline coach had been replaced).

Anyone who actually believes the Jets had the third ranked oline than you will probably believe just about anything. What next Sanchez is better than Joe Flacco and Eli Manning.
    SHUT UP IDIOT

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by billygreen View Post
    The fact that the Jets were 26th in average yards per rush had an impact on this also. If the line played so good why was the rushing so bad? Part of that was on the RB's but part of that was on the line too.

You had lots of bad things going on last year. A change of OC, the loss of Holmes and no real threat at WR, only so-so line play, a skittish quarterback afraid of being hurt. All these factors and more added up to a 6-10 season.

You could argue that not a whole lot has been done to address these problems in the offseason either. We still don't have solid WR's, the RB's we picked up haven't been fulltime starters anywhere, we're not sure how our line is going to pan out just yet, our FB still can't block, and our TE's are who?

If things go just right we might be competitive. If things go wrong we'll be one of the worst teams in the NFL. The line is part of that.
    http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ol

Check this out.

Power success/rank and stuff percentage/rank are the most indicative of the OL's run blocking. They basically analyze the ability of the line to produce on 3rd/4th and short as well as keeping backs from getting hit in the backfield. The Jets ranked 10 and 2, relatively, in these two categories.

Additionally, adjusted line yards (which basically gives the line more credit 0-4yds v. yards gained further away) has them ranked #5 in the league.

Finally, the nail in the coffin is the 2nd level (yards gained between 5-10) and open field (10+), which basically assesses the talent of the RB. The Jets ranked 24th and 29th respectively. Further evidence that the big issue was the backs, not the line.