Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Annual DirecTV discount thread

All League
    So listen to this one:

I ordered service on June 16th...decided today I needed a DVR box. Gentleman tells me, "if you had originally signed up for the DVR box it would have been free, now that you are outside the 14 day window, it is now $249.99"...ask for the supervisor, get the same shpiel.

Told them I want a disconnect date of July 14th--they quoted me at a disconnection fee of around $450.00, I told them to go through with it. DONE.

So, we hung up. They are "disconnecting" me on July 14th...who has the wise ideas of how to get me out of this one? Need some help here.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthTown View Post
    So listen to this one:

I ordered service on June 16th...decided today I needed a DVR box. Gentleman tells me, "if you had originally signed up for the DVR box it would have been free, now that you are outside the 14 day window, it is now $249.99"...ask for the supervisor, get the same shpiel.

Told them I want a disconnect date of July 14th--they quoted me at a disconnection fee of around $450.00, I told them to go through with it. DONE.

So, we hung up. They are "disconnecting" me on July 14th...who has the wise ideas of how to get me out of this one? Need some help here.
    You went a little off the deep end there.

The only play I see is to call retentions back and say you had horrid customer service, grew frustrated and just wanted to drop service. Throw a pity party to a rep who seems nice enough and willing to work with you and explain how infuriating it was to be told you missed the boat on an offer they never told you existed and had to pay an exorbitant amount of $ because of it. After that pity party is over and you get what you want, drop that you really heard great things about them and are surprised by the lack of customer service you received on your initial call in. Milk the helpful rep for all they are worth afterward

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysGreenAlwaysWhite View Post
    You went a little off the deep end there.

The only play I see is to call retentions back and say you had horrid customer service, grew frustrated and just wanted to drop service. Throw a pity party to a rep who seems nice enough and willing to work with you and explain how infuriating it was to be told you missed the boat on an offer they never told you existed and had to pay an exorbitant amount of $ because of it. After that pity party is over and you get what you want, drop that you really heard great things about them and are surprised by the lack of customer service you received on your initial call in. Milk the helpful rep for all they are worth afterward
    HAHAHA. I thought that's what everyone did, after reading this thread, I had confidence....so you are saying I should call them back ASAP?

HAHAHA. I thought that's what everyone did, after reading this thread, I had confidence....so you are saying I should call them back ASAP?
    Yes. Be cordial lol

All League
    Yes. Be cordial lol
    Ok, doing it now. Think I still have a shot at that DVR or just trying to get service back?

Ok, doing it now. Think I still have a shot at that DVR or just trying to get service back?
    I think you can get it. You're a customer who got shafted at sign up and frustrated at poor customer service. Let them know that but do so calmly

All League
    I think you can get it. You're a customer who got shafted at sign up and frustrated at poor customer service. Let them know that but do so calmly
    On it now...working on it...sounds like a really tough one here...

Hall Of Fame
    You already got it or are about to get it? If you haven't had the install yet, you can pretty much get whatever you want out of them for the first year...
    good god, do republicans pay for anything they owe?

Quote Originally Posted by Timmy® View Post
    good god, do republicans pay for anything they owe?
    lmao

All League
    I'm ****ed. Missed it by 2 days. No one can help me.

All League
    No go. They want $250 straight up because I am 2 days outside the "adjustment" window. They offered me free DVR box and free HD box on June 16th, allegedly, and now it's 16 days out and I can't get that DVR box for free. Who in their right mind turns down a free DVR box?!?!? I know I didn't.

This whole DirecTV thing seems like a scam.

I haven't had to pay for Sunday Ticket the last three or four years. I don't intend too this year either. It may take a few calls but at the end of the day I have been a customer for 7 years, and my contract is up in November so I kind of have them over a barrel here. I rarely call and complain the only time I do is in the summer. One year i had so many discounts I think they were paying me about $5 for the Sunday Ticket.

I could probably snag Whole House DVR out of them but they have my address as being in NY when in reality it is PA. Don't want them coming out obviously. They've had to send me replacement DVRs and I always have them send to billing address (PA) rather than supposed service address (NY). They never question it. They even sent an extra HD box once b/c they sent two of them out by mistake.

I love DirectTV

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrisrud View Post
    I haven't had to pay for Sunday Ticket the last three or four years. I don't intend too this year either. It may take a few calls but at the end of the day I have been a customer for 7 years, and my contract is up in November so I kind of have them over a barrel here. I rarely call and complain the only time I do is in the summer. One year i had so many discounts I think they were paying me about $5 for the Sunday Ticket.

I could probably snag Whole House DVR out of them but they have my address as being in NY when in reality it is PA. Don't want them coming out obviously. They've had to send me replacement DVRs and I always have them send to billing address (PA) rather than supposed service address (NY). They never question it. They even sent an extra HD box once b/c they sent two of them out by mistake.

I love DirectTV

you just confused the **** out of me...haha, but good for you. sounds like you have swindled them pretty good. they aren't budging on this ****ing DVR box. but I am getting free Sunday Ticket this year and a dump load of promos and discounts for the first 6-12 months (I am still confused what's what) so we will see how it all pans out. It certainly appears that the longer you have as a loyal customer, the more they are willing to go to bat for you. You would also think that would apply for someone who has been on board for 16 ****ing days...but apparently the initial customer experience isn't as important.

you just confused the **** out of me...haha, but good for you. sounds like you have swindled them pretty good. they aren't budging on this ****ing DVR box. but I am getting free Sunday Ticket this year and a dump load of promos and discounts for the first 6-12 months (I am still confused what's what) so we will see how it all pans out. It certainly appears that the longer you have as a loyal customer, the more they are willing to go to bat for you. You would also think that would apply for someone who has been on board for 16 ****ing days...but apparently the initial customer experience isn't as important.
    Outside of the additional box, sounds like you made out okay though.

All League
    Outside of the additional box, sounds like you made out okay though.
    Last resort, started tracking down "customer service" manager, executive types on LinkedIn with DirecTV and sent out some LinkedIn InMail (a paid service on their site). One guy got back to me quickly and said he would be speaking with someone in the President's office to see what he could do. Perhaps this will work out, who knows.

Hall Of Fame
    Does anyone have DirecTV internet? Thoughts?
    please, no more. why don't you leeches start a "How to Get Extra Food Stamps"
    thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Timmy® View Post
    please, no more. why don't you leeches start a "How to Get Extra Food Stamps"
    thread.
    We do this thread every year and it helps non NY fans get pricing on Sunday ticket. How is that possibly bad? Whatever

To the DVR guy, DirecTV can be really weird about giving away DVRs. For years I had DirecTV AND cable only using DirecTV in the fall for NFL. Every year I would let them know that I would switch to them full time (as I actually suspended my service 6 months a year) if they would give me 2 DVRs. They just would not do it.

Finally about three years ago I got a rep that made it happen. They sent me super old DVRs, though, and I had to fight with them to get them to give me the latest ones. It was a tough nut to crack.

They are very open to discounting the service but hate to give away hardware. They HATE it. Under contract they might not do much for you. It's just the way they work. They can be very fair, but they can also seem completely unreasonable at times. You just have to be persistent and non-confrontational. You can nicely suggest that you want to cancel and the like but when you start giving them a hard time, they clam up. Imagine if you were a CSV agent and had to talk to around 50 customers a day. You would only want to help the rare ones that are actually nice. Nice is a big key. Asking is huge. Being a dick and demanding is never the way to go with DirecTV.

In your situation here is what I would angle for:

Buying 1 DVR and getting 1 free. Then getting discounts over the next 12 months that equal the cost of the DVR. You might need to try a few different agents and managers but you should be able to get that.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnysd View Post
    We do this thread every year and it helps non NY fans get pricing on Sunday ticket. How is that possibly bad? Whatever

To the DVR guy, DirecTV can be really weird about giving away DVRs. For years I had DirecTV AND cable only using DirecTV in the fall for NFL. Every year I would let them know that I would switch to them full time (as I actually suspended my service 6 months a year) if they would give me 2 DVRs. They just would not do it.

Finally about three years ago I got a rep that made it happen. They sent me super old DVRs, though, and I had to fight with them to get them to give me the latest ones. It was a tough nut to crack.

They are very open to discounting the service but hate to give away hardware. They HATE it. Under contract they might not do much for you. It's just the way they work. They can be very fair, but they can also seem completely unreasonable at times. You just have to be persistent and non-confrontational. You can nicely suggest that you want to cancel and the like but when you start giving them a hard time, they clam up. Imagine if you were a CSV agent and had to talk to around 50 customers a day. You would only want to help the rare ones that are actually nice. Nice is a big key. Asking is huge. Being a dick and demanding is never the way to go with DirecTV.

In your situation here is what I would angle for:

Buying 1 DVR and getting 1 free. Then getting discounts over the next 12 months that equal the cost of the DVR. You might need to try a few different agents and managers but you should be able to get that.
    Welp, someone at the "Office of the President" was able to swing it for me, somehow, someway. They are coming out Monday to replace the box with a DVR box.

Here is my next question: we are subletting a place until August 31 and then we are moving into a permanent residence in the nearby area, anyone ever moved DirecTV before? Apparently there is a $200 dollar charge involved to do so? Any tips on this one would be great. Thanks.

Thumbs up

I love this thread, EVERY SINGLE YEAR!

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

I just called back to complain some more and got free 2013 Chevy Equinox.