Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
Results 81 to 100 of 113

Thread: Annual DirecTV discount thread

  1. #81
    Waterboy
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    YOUNGSTOWN, OH
    Posts
    71
    Just called and was greeted by a nice guy and was simply nice back to him. Told him the wife wanted me to cancel ST as we don't really watch it as much as in years past. He ended up giving me 1 month free and 5 payments of $29.99. I was paying 6 months at $39.99. Thanks to whoever on here said to be nice. It worked, for me! Paying $150.00 for the entire season!

  2. #82
    All League
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Simi Valley, CA
    Posts
    4,238
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthTown View Post
    DirecTV novice here.

    Will I be able to get the Jets Lions game Friday night? Again, I am living in Southern Cal and I hope I can see all this stuff, even the crappy preseason stuff. Let me know, thank you.
    The game will be on NFL Network (Directv ch.212) on Saturday at 1pm Pacific time

  3. #83
    All League
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Simi Valley, CA
    Posts
    4,238
    Quote Originally Posted by OhioJetsFan View Post
    Just called and was greeted by a nice guy and was simply nice back to him. Told him the wife wanted me to cancel ST as we don't really watch it as much as in years past. He ended up giving me 1 month free and 5 payments of $29.99. I was paying 6 months at $39.99. Thanks to whoever on here said to be nice. It worked, for me! Paying $150.00 for the entire season!
    I am going to try the nice approach. If that doesn't work, I'll threaten to cancel

  4. #84
    I called last night & got 36.99 for 4 months plus 15$ credit for 12 months & I balked a little & ended up getting 36 bucks credit for 12 months, So my Sunday Ticket max is basicly free & my monthly bill went down 40 bucks a month. This was through Retention.

  5. #85
    All League
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    2,645
    Tomorrow night the game is on SNY on my DirecTV. Just signed up and got all sorts of free **** that I am sure most people don't get so not sure if everyone gets this or not.

  6. #86
    I just called and got the same deal. Very pleased!

  7. #87
    Practice Squad
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Delray Beach, Florida
    Posts
    314
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthTown View Post
    Tomorrow night the game is on SNY on my DirecTV
    Yes it is on SNY - a replay at 1:30AM Saturday morning, and then again 4PM Saturday.

    If you live out of the NY market, you are NOT going to see Jets preseason games live on television NOR satellite, whether you have SNY or anything else on TV (note: NOT talking online here).

    Every year we get out of market folks (especially where I am down in FL) who see it in the DirecTV listings - sometimes the CBS East Satellite feed - and think they can get it at home, or maybe a Sports Bar that pays $$$ for "everything".

    Unless it is a National Game - which this year, there are none in preseason - it's not happening.

    I've even been among angry crowds at FL sports bars when mgrs told patrons earlier in the week that "sure we should be able to get that, we get all the NFL stuff".

  8. #88
    Bewildered Beast
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    SF via Strong Island
    Posts
    30,752
    They saved me $$$ with a 2 year contract; looking into my account (they usually hit me by now with the full price, and I call in) I see the same deal as last year, SundayTickMAX for 4 pmts of $25.

    Anyone else on a contract?

  9. #89
    Jets are on NFL Network live on week # 2 so out of towners can see the game live .... pre-season that is.

    http://espn.go.com/nfl/schedule/_/seasontype/1

  10. #90
    Quote Originally Posted by parafly View Post
    NFL Sunday Ticket is for regular season only.

    You will be able to see the Jets Lions game on Saturday with regular NFL Network programming.
    so the game will be on nfl network on saturday? i'm wondering if i'll be able to watch it live in nyc, with twc not having ch. 2. is the best option to go to a sports bar with dtv and get the feed that way?

  11. #91
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Your mom's house
    Posts
    8,538
    Quote Originally Posted by Dcat View Post
    absolutely. In some years it took me multiple calls to get a willing rep to work with me. keep trying and make sure you are dealing with the retention team, and not the ordinary call center doofus.
    Thank you, that was EXCELLENT advice!

    I called back today, gave them the same schpiel as yesterday (they had added notes to my account about what they had originally offered me) and found out that I was in fact NOT dealing with the retention team despite saying "cancel service" at the main voice prompt. After I was transferred over, I ran through my schpiel again (this time adding that I work for a major phone company and could get their service with comparable programming for less than half of what I was paying DirecTV) and waited to hear what they'd offer. In speaking with the extremely kind retention rep and being kind in return, she offered me the following:

    They moved me to the Extra package (gaining me an additional 25 channels), $20 off per month for next 12 months, $15 off per month for 15 months, 12 months free of HD service ($10 per month value), then Sunday Ticket and Red Zone channel for free - all for a 1-year commitment to carry me out to my contract expiration date of August 27, 2014.

    My bill is now down to $79/month vs. the previous $113/month.

    Not too shabby for 30 minute call!
    Last edited by RageATL; 08-08-2013 at 05:19 PM.

  12. #92
    Just made my call; second in two days. I asked to cancel services. That does not get you to retention. Politely told the woman that I was not happy with my offers from yesterday. Asked how I can return equipment at the end of the month. THEN I was sent to retention. I simply told the woman, in a non-dickish way, that the only reason I had DTV was for ST. If I didn't have ST, I had no reason to keep DTV. My cancellation fee was to be $240. I explained that competing services would cover that in no time due to lower rates. She agreed and said her goal was to keep me satisfied.

    Bottom line- Free Ticket, No renewal, Free Showtime and Starz for 6 month, 6 month $25 off bill, Reminded me that I can get Genie for free in October (would have been $99 if i got it today)

    Don't be a douche when you call. Initial negotiation with the "channel specialists". Call back and speak with real retention department.

  13. #93
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    6,943
    Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    so the game will be on nfl network on saturday? i'm wondering if i'll be able to watch it live in nyc, with twc not having ch. 2. is the best option to go to a sports bar with dtv and get the feed that way?
    All I know is that the first preseason game is being aired on NFL Network on Saturday. Can't help you with how the live game is being aired locally since I'm not local.

  14. #94
    All League
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Simi Valley, CA
    Posts
    4,238
    Let me begin by saying that my initial 2 year contract with Directv ends this Sunday. Thus stated, when asked the reason for my call I said, "I'd like to cancel my service". The rep then said I'd be transferred to the retention department. When the retention rep asked me why, I simply stated that "I received an great offer in the mail from Dish Network, and since my contract will be up in two days - now is the perfect time to cancel my service in order to save money." After being asked by the retention guy if I knew about the ways in which Directv could lower my bill, I replied, "no, why don't you tell me." This is what he offered:

    1) $35/month off for the next 12 months
    2) $10/month off for the next 6 months
    and
    3) Free Sunday Ticket Max with a 1 yr commitment to Directv

    I have no idea if he would have sweetened the pot if I were to play hardball because I instantly accepted his offer as soon as he mentioned the word "free" combined with the phrase "Sunday Ticket Max".

  15. #95
    All League
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Simi Valley, CA
    Posts
    4,238
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    Seems my cable provider here in Canada is only offering sunday ticket delux as a package (which includes redzone and the other stuff which I could care less about.) Of course it is about $20 more a month than just plain sunday ticket. Jerks.
    Up until last season, I received my Sunday Ticket through Shaw Direct and it was always at a rate much cheaper than what Directv was offering. My, how times have changed!

  16. #96
    Practice Squad
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Bailey, CO
    Posts
    321
    I was very nice because I called before I started drinking and watching a recording of the game this afternoon, didn't work at first.

    I was offered $50 off, so I said cancel it and send me to the retention department. Retention department gave me Sunday ticket for free for agreeing to a one year contract that includes a $10 per month penalty for early cancelation. Also received all movie channels for free for three months. I have been a DirecTV customer for over 10 years and my only other real option in my area is Dish, no cable as I live in the hills.

  17. #97
    Practice Squad
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Bailey, CO
    Posts
    321
    Quote Originally Posted by simijet View Post
    Let me begin by saying that my initial 2 year contract with Directv ends this Sunday. Thus stated, when asked the reason for my call I said, "I'd like to cancel my service". The rep then said I'd be transferred to the retention department. When the retention rep asked me why, I simply stated that "I received an great offer in the mail from Dish Network, and since my contract will be up in two days - now is the perfect time to cancel my service in order to save money." After being asked by the retention guy if I knew about the ways in which Directv could lower my bill, I replied, "no, why don't you tell me." This is what he offered:

    1) $35/month off for the next 12 months
    2) $10/month off for the next 6 months
    and
    3) Free Sunday Ticket Max with a 1 yr commitment to Directv

    I have no idea if he would have sweetened the pot if I were to play hardball because I instantly accepted his offer as soon as he mentioned the word "free" combined with the phrase "Sunday Ticket Max".
    WOW, I should call back, nice deal.

  18. #98
    All League
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    4,659
    Just got off the phone and couldn't be happier. I hit a home run in my opinion. $50 a month bill discounts for next 12 months. Free Sunday Ticket. Free Genie upgrade including 2 mini genies. Very happy.

    All i did was say i was thinking of switching to Dish for the Ipad they offer new customers and he came right out with that offer. I accepted and we talked football for the next 20 minutes. Didn't push anymore because i wanted to save some bullets for down the road.

  19. #99
    All League
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Simi Valley, CA
    Posts
    4,238
    Quote Originally Posted by HawkeyeJet View Post
    Just got off the phone and couldn't be happier. I hit a home run in my opinion. $50 a month bill discounts for next 12 months. Free Sunday Ticket. Free Genie upgrade including 2 mini genies. Very happy.

    All i did was say i was thinking of switching to Dish for the Ipad they offer new customers and he came right out with that offer. I accepted and we talked football for the next 20 minutes. Didn't push anymore because i wanted to save some bullets for down the road.


    Well done!

  20. #100
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Enemy territory
    Posts
    746
    Here's what my scenario turned out to be:

    I used to have Directv but switched over in the spring. I used to call for myself every year. My buddy still does have DTV. I figured if he got the ticket, I could use his account to watch online. So I told him I'd call for him and got his info (we are both M*******s now)..

    Called and said cancel service. Got right past first general representative with this by saying switching to better deal. Transferred to "commitment" dept. Very nice girl that I was very nice to back. She wound up giving $20 off base pack/month for 12 months, $10 off for HD for $12 months, and Sunday Ticket FREE! I then said I have to travel for work a lot and would appreciate the Max. She agreed. Needed a 1 year commitment though. So all and all, $30 off per month 1 year, and ST Max free. Not a bad haul, and certainly the best one I've ever gotten.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us