Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 113

Thread: Annual DirecTV discount thread

  1. #1
    All League
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    3,340
    Post Thanks / Like

    Annual DirecTV discount thread

    So I called today to "cancel" NFL Sunday ticket.

    Here's what I got:

    Lasts year price of $179 for Sunday ticket over 6 months. $60 discount

    $15 discount for 16 months. yes suxteen.

    Not the best deal I have ever gotten, but I already have like $60 a month of other discounts on there, so I got a good deal, especially with the long range discount.

    I am sure someone will do better

  2. #2
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    1,459
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for this thread.

  3. #3
    Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Posts
    16,305
    Post Thanks / Like
    NFL Sunday ticket Max is 59.99 over 5 months. Basically $300 overall. I'm paying full price for the ticket but I get these credits.

    I got $100 instant credit and $10 off my bill for 18 months

    So the Ticket cost me $300 but I'm getting $280 in credits.

    So it's costing me $20 this year.

  4. #4
    All League
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    2,701
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnysd View Post
    So I called today to "cancel" NFL Sunday ticket.

    Here's what I got:

    Lasts year price of $179 for Sunday ticket over 6 months. $60 discount

    $15 discount for 16 months. yes suxteen.

    Not the best deal I have ever gotten, but I already have like $60 a month of other discounts on there, so I got a good deal, especially with the long range discount.

    I am sure someone will do better
    Is there a similar deal for the Playstation?

  5. #5
    All League
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    2,584
    Post Thanks / Like
    I just relocated to LA from NJ and got DirecTV for the first time to avoid getting Time Warner. Any suggestions for first timers? For the service? and for the ticket? anything else?

  6. #6
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    7,884
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthTown View Post
    I just relocated to LA from NJ and got DirecTV for the first time to avoid getting Time Warner. Any suggestions for first timers? For the service? and for the ticket? anything else?
    You already got it or are about to get it? If you haven't had the install yet, you can pretty much get whatever you want out of them for the first year...

  7. #7
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    1,459
    Post Thanks / Like
    You guys should press the cancel service option when you call.
    Last edited by TheBlairThomasFumble; 07-01-2013 at 08:18 PM.

  8. #8
    All League
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    2,584
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysGreenAlwaysWhite View Post
    You already got it or are about to get it? If you haven't had the install yet, you can pretty much get whatever you want out of them for the first year...
    I got it. But, didn't commit to much, got the basic package so on and so forth. Fill me in on how to swindle these guys, I have had it for 2 weeks. Is it too late to hassle them into something better?

  9. #9
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    7,884
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthTown View Post
    I got it. But, didn't commit to much, got the basic package so on and so forth. Fill me in on how to swindle these guys, I have had it for 2 weeks. Is it too late to hassle them into something better?
    Nah, I hassle them once a month. Call, ask for retention and say you really expected better for your money and you're unimpressed. Since you'll have cable Internet, say you can get basic cable with basically the same functionality for a lot cheaper. Milk it for all it's worth. I'd ask for premium channels since your wife loves those, sports package for you and any extra HD DVRs you may want down the road at no or low cost on all. You just gotta haggle. If you're not getting anywhere, hang up and try again.

  10. #10
    All League
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    2,584
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysGreenAlwaysWhite View Post
    Nah, I hassle them once a month. Call, ask for retention and say you really expected better for your money and you're unimpressed. Since you'll have cable Internet, say you can get basic cable with basically the same functionality for a lot cheaper. Milk it for all it's worth. I'd ask for premium channels since your wife loves those, sports package for you and any extra HD DVRs you may want down the road at no or low cost on all. You just gotta haggle. If you're not getting anywhere, hang up and try again.
    Smart, I will do it this week.

    So tell me, how do I work this same angle for Sunday NFL Ticket? Same deal, same shpiel?

  11. #11
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    1,459
    Post Thanks / Like
    Any suggestions for a guy who's finishing up the first year of a two year contract? I don't have much leverage, IMHO.

  12. #12
    All League
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    3,340
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBlairThomasFumble View Post
    Any suggestions for a guy who's finishing up the first year of a two year contract? I don't have much leverage, IMHO.
    You always have leverage with DirecTV. You may not get the same discount as a long term customer without a commitment but if you call and ask for cancellation department and tell them you want to just cancel Sunday Ticket they will always do something to make you happy. It's like a game. Don't get super confrontational that can backfire especially under contract. Just be upfront, something like "I like Sunday Ticket but $240 is just too much" and see where it leads. You will get something. I have NEVER called to complain to DirecTV about pricing and not gotten at least some concession.

  13. #13
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    7,884
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthTown View Post
    Smart, I will do it this week.

    So tell me, how do I work this same angle for Sunday NFL Ticket? Same deal, same shpiel?
    It's the easiest thing to get, IMO. Last year they were a little hard on giving up On The Go (watch from phone, laptop, etc) but they cave eventually, you just gotta get the right rep on the phone.

  14. #14
    All League
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    3,042
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnysd View Post
    You always have leverage with DirecTV. You may not get the same discount as a long term customer without a commitment but if you call and ask for cancellation department and tell them you want to just cancel Sunday Ticket they will always do something to make you happy. It's like a game. Don't get super confrontational that can backfire especially under contract. Just be upfront, something like "I like Sunday Ticket but $240 is just too much" and see where it leads. You will get something. I have NEVER called to complain to DirecTV about pricing and not gotten at least some concession.
    I thought this was true too. I called DirecTV last year and tried this approach. The guy tried to sell me on all the merits of the package I already had, like I didn't know what was available. So I held firm.

    A few minutes later he says, "well, we understand. If you change your mind down the line, just call us back." Click.

    I guess it could have been my approach, but I don't think I said anything out of the ordinary. They've upgraded me in the past when I wasn't even asking for anything. But it was a pretty humbling phone call a few weeks later to call and get the ticket back.

  15. #15
    All League
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    3,340
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenWave View Post
    I thought this was true too. I called DirecTV last year and tried this approach. The guy tried to sell me on all the merits of the package I already had, like I didn't know what was available. So I held firm.

    A few minutes later he says, "well, we understand. If you change your mind down the line, just call us back." Click.

    I guess it could have been my approach, but I don't think I said anything out of the ordinary. They've upgraded me in the past when I wasn't even asking for anything. But it was a pretty humbling phone call a few weeks later to call and get the ticket back.
    Did you talk to a regular salesperson or the cancellation department? The regular sales group gives discounts for packages free HBO or Showtime, discounts for automatic bill pay that sort of stuff. But not all of them are authorized for discounting Sunday Ticket. But the cancellation group have a lot of power to give discounts and for Sunday Ticket you kind of need to talk to them

  16. #16
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Cocoa,FL
    Posts
    2,115
    Post Thanks / Like
    If the person who answers the phone seems kinda unwilling to work with you hang up and call back. Heck for that matter do it 10 times if you have to until you get what you want. I've gotten some of what I wanted called back 5 minutes latet abd got the rest.

  17. #17
    All League
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Gainesville, FL
    Posts
    4,292
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthTown View Post
    I got it. But, didn't commit to much, got the basic package so on and so forth. Fill me in on how to swindle these guys, I have had it for 2 weeks. Is it too late to hassle them into something better?
    We just got DirecTV service (for the 2nd time) and they offered Sunday Ticket for free for the entire season AND 3 months of free HBO, Showtime, Starz, the whole shebang.
    Last edited by BleedGnW; 07-02-2013 at 04:38 PM.

  18. #18
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    6,790
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BleedGnW View Post
    We just got DirecTV service (for the 2nd time) and they offered Sunday Ticket for free for the entire season AND 3 months of free HBO, Showtime, Starz, the whole shebang.
    Thanks for the info.

    "New customers are getting it for free" is good ammo for existing customers who threaten cancellation. It has worked well in the past.

  19. #19
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    North Jersey
    Posts
    553
    Post Thanks / Like
    I called them on Monday to reduce my package to the most basic $29 package, cancel a second box and cancel Sunday Ticket. The first two things were done without complaint, but canceling Sunday Ticket required me to be transferred to a second agent.

    That guy started at full price, then worked his way down to $32 per month for six months for the full package, including the online access with my iPhone or IPad.....whatever they call it now.

    I have Verizon Fios here in NJ with no complaints. I only keep DirecTV for the Sunday Ticket......and for the occasional hurricane that kills the phones and TV.

  20. #20
    All League
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    2,584
    Post Thanks / Like
    Does anyone have DirecTV internet? Thoughts?

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us