Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Annual DirecTV discount thread

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthTown View Post
    Welp, someone at the "Office of the President" was able to swing it for me, somehow, someway. They are coming out Monday to replace the box with a DVR box.

Here is my next question: we are subletting a place until August 31 and then we are moving into a permanent residence in the nearby area, anyone ever moved DirecTV before? Apparently there is a $200 dollar charge involved to do so? Any tips on this one would be great. Thanks.
    Noooo....have DirecTV move them yourselves....in fact they LOVE when you move....they will give you almost anything you want when you move because they leave all the equipment as is so it is super easy for the next tenant to get DirecTV...when I moved last November they gave me a Genie Whole Home DVR for free and the move was free...just make sure to use DirecTV and not a local contractor...there is a special number on their site

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnysd View Post
    Noooo....have DirecTV move them yourselves....in fact they LOVE when you move....they will give you almost anything you want when you move because they leave all the equipment as is so it is super easy for the next tenant to get DirecTV...when I moved last November they gave me a Genie Whole Home DVR for free and the move was free...just make sure to use DirecTV and not a local contractor...there is a special number on their site
    I moved last Aug you must take your equipment the only thing that stays is the Dish.. They give you a new DVR and the Sunday ticket free when you move..

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like

Sunday ticket

Hello to all. Can you still get Sunday ticket through playstation. And do you need a dish. I am in a area where a dish will not work. Thanks for your help

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by KOZ57 View Post
    Hello to all. Can you still get Sunday ticket through playstation. And do you need a dish. I am in a area where a dish will not work. Thanks for your help
    Yes. No dish needed. And even better you can get it for $100 by preordering Madden 25. Or even less if you just sell off Madden 25 when you get it.

http://www.amazon.com/Madden-NFL-Ann...ords=madden+25

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the Info. Not to familiar wit the gaming system. What is better the xbox or ps3. Also where does the fee come from The internet? Ana is there usually any interference when watching games. Thanks

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    fyi, that Amazon deal will not work on a PS3 -- it's good for computer, tablet, or a mobile device... If you're already a DirecTV customer it's pretty much a non-deal. I spent 40 minutes on the phone with DTV and the putz had no idea what I was talking about. I literally had to send him a link to the amazon deal and he still couldn't figure out how it works.

I plan on calling or emailing Amazon at some point but there's a lot of fine print.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I called last week and got free Sunday ticket if I extend my contract for another year. The funny thing was that I added the whole home and a second tv in January, which apparently already extended my contract until January 2015. My new contract end is... Still January 2015. The rep assured me that it wouldn't actually extend the contract.

On top of that, I got show time free for 3 months, although that is a pretty standard promotion that I probably could have gotten anytime. I just always wait for Dexter season to ask for it.

Also I got $10 off for 12 months, but again I think that is a standard promotion for people who complain about the $10 hd fee.

I probably didn't get max, bit I figure once the season starts, I'll call and complain about how I was told that was included and be good to go. I have another promotion expiring in July and the rep told me that if I call in August after it drops off my statement, another rep would probably be able to give me a similar promotion. Overall, I got lucky with an awesome rep the first time I called.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Pac2566 View Post
    fyi, that Amazon deal will not work on a PS3 -- it's good for computer, tablet, or a mobile device... If you're already a DirecTV customer it's pretty much a non-deal. I spent 40 minutes on the phone with DTV and the putz had no idea what I was talking about. I literally had to send him a link to the amazon deal and he still couldn't figure out how it works.

I plan on calling or emailing Amazon at some point but there's a lot of fine print.
    It does work with the PS3. The 1 login is linked to PC, mobile, and PS3. Its all the same app.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Did this today...figured I'd chime in. Wife's been bugging me to switch to Hulu Plus over Direct, so I figured I'd use that in my pitch. I called up, asked for the amount needed to break my agreement, and rightly said that we were thinking about quitting and switching to Hulu plus (we were)...I got lucky and got a really nice representative who threw 30 bucks in credits at me, starz/showtime and...NFL ST for free! ST agreement came with one year commitment, which runs concurrently with my current contract (I verified this about 5 times, LOL). So, I didn't tack on any additional time, and I'll be a free agent by this time next year.

Once again, I'll say the key is to a) get lucky in getting a nice rep and b) be polite but firm. Just keep trying. DTV will almost always take care of you.
    Last edited by NYJ0815; 07-12-2013 at 05:44 PM.

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like

Just called DirecTV

So I just called to "cancel" NFL Sunday ticket. I received an automatic renewal notice in the mail from DirecTV.
    I live in Jets West (L.A.) so I was asked who I followed, told her the Jets, got a little speech about being able to see 14 additional games on Sunday with DirecTV etc. Not 100% true if there is a game on Thursday, and NBC Sunday night and Monday night ESPN it's a max of 13 and there are the regular terrestial channels in L.A. with no blackouts so it's more 10-11 extra on DirecTV but I'm not going to argue that when I want discounts.

Here's what I got:

Lasts year price of $179.94 for Sunday ticket over 6 months ($29.99 per month).
    Down from a listed price on the letter of $224.95 ($37.49 x 6 months)
    $10 discount for 12 months, effectively getting the Receiver free got a year.

Not the greatest deal I have ever gotten, did not want to cancel NFL ticket or DirecTV but I've paid $179 for two straight years so its ok.

Good luck to everyone else.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by ginge001 View Post
    So I just called to "cancel" NFL Sunday ticket. I received an automatic renewal notice in the mail from DirecTV.
    I live in Jets West (L.A.) so I was asked who I followed, told her the Jets, got a little speech about being able to see 14 additional games on Sunday with DirecTV etc. Not 100% true if there is a game on Thursday, and NBC Sunday night and Monday night ESPN it's a max of 13 and there are the regular terrestial channels in L.A. with no blackouts so it's more 10-11 extra on DirecTV but I'm not going to argue that when I want discounts.

Here's what I got:

Lasts year price of $179.94 for Sunday ticket over 6 months ($29.99 per month).
    Down from a listed price on the letter of $224.95 ($37.49 x 6 months)
    $10 discount for 12 months, effectively getting the Receiver free got a year.

Not the greatest deal I have ever gotten, did not want to cancel NFL ticket or DirecTV but I've paid $179 for two straight years so its ok.

Good luck to everyone else.
    come hang out with us on sundays watching Jet games in Santa Monica, if you live anywhere near the Westside.
    Theres another Jets BIG group in The Valley and one more in Long Beach.
    Welcome to Jets West.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Called to attempt to cancel to consider move to Verizon Fios.

$15 off for next 15 mos
    $10 off Sports package for 6 mos
    Free HD for next year
    Free ST with Max

Championship

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ugh. So I had lined up free NFLST due to moving, but the trees around our new house apparently make it impossible to get a dish set up. So after eight year of Sunday Ticket, I'm SOOL.

Any good suggestions on how to stream Jets games without DTV? (I live in the Chicago area.)

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by nuu faaola View Post
    Ugh. So I had lined up free NFLST due to moving, but the trees around our new house apparently make it impossible to get a dish set up. So after eight year of Sunday Ticket, I'm SOOL.

Any good suggestions on how to stream Jets games without DTV? (I live in the Chicago area.)

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Baddniss View Post
    come hang out with us on sundays watching Jet games in Santa Monica, if you live anywhere near the Westside.
    Hey B. - where do you watch games in Santa Monica???

Does Yankee Doodles still have a group going there?

Practice Squad
    Oswego County, Upstate NY, USA with my wife and family.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Seems like many of you guys have more luck than I do. I've been a DirecTV customer since 1998-99 or so, and currently pay for 4 HD boxes, including 2 of them being HD-DVRs. I get NFL Sunday Ticket and NBA League Pass, and have been doing so every year since 1998-99. If I call and complain, they'll give me a free month of HBO (Big whoop since the Sopranos went off it $ux @$$) if I complain, and offer something new, but as soon as I say yes, they charge me anyways. Seems as if you guys get good deals and I get screwed. And I'm a LOONNG time customer. Also, if I want to cancel, they often can't wait to cancel me... I think because I am grandfathered into some excellent basic deals and if they cancel me they can get me for more or something if I wanted them again.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthTown View Post
    Does anyone have DirecTV internet? Thoughts?
    They don't have internet. At least in my area, and I've never heard of it. I wished they did. They used to bundle with Hughes Net Satellite internet, but they stopped that years ago, before I attempted to get it. In my rural area, I can only get dial-up, Satellite internet, or wireless cellphone data internet. I go with Hughes Net - More expensive than (though nowhere near as fast as) cable and daily broadband limits, but that's the best I can do here. Dial-up's too slow, DSL and cable are not available, and cellphone data is overpriced beyond belief as if you go over their limits they just zap your bank account like there's no tomorrow.

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    My renewal was at $300 (6 payments at $49.99). I called to cancel and she lowered the 6 payments to $29.99 and gave me the "Max" upgards for free. Not bad, but very easy to do.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    I currently have DTV with two HD DVR boxes (HR20-100), and have had ST the past few years.

I am thinking of upgrading to the new Genie system. Because just like on the commercials, we are often running out of disk space - or have three shows to record (almost always at 9-11PM Sunday night!).

I also need to get ST since I am in Florida. It looks like "LIST" price is $225 or 5*$45.

I wonder the best strategy to get the best deal while getting both of these deals accomplished. Thoughts?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CharlieDelray View Post
    I currently have DTV with two HD DVR boxes (HR20-100), and have had ST the past few years.

I am thinking of upgrading to the new Genie system. Because just like on the commercials, we are often running out of disk space - or have three shows to record (almost always at 9-11PM Sunday night!).

I also need to get ST since I am in Florida. It looks like "LIST" price is $225 or 5*$45.

I wonder the best strategy to get the best deal while getting both of these deals accomplished. Thoughts?
    Hardware is tough to get for free. I would think if you buy or pay a portion of the Genie they will give a good discount on the ST

If you are not on contract, you might try going direct to retention and tell them you want to cancel because of the DVR storage issue and try to have them give you a Genie to retain you, then on a later call negotiate a discount on the directv

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnysd View Post
    Hardware is tough to get for free. I would think if you buy or pay a portion of the Genie they will give a good discount on the ST

If you are not on contract, you might try going direct to retention and tell them you want to cancel because of the DVR storage issue and try to have them give you a Genie to retain you, then on a later call negotiate a discount on the directv
    Just called to cancel my ST but the rep told me
    I didn't have last year ( I did but got it free). So I asked when my
    contract expired and was told I was under no contract
    at this time so I said great cause I was thinking of
    switching since I wasn't happy with the DVR. She offered
    the Genie system for three TVs with no charge for the equipment but
    additional $3 per month charge. I then asked about ST and was quoted
    $37.49/month for 6 months. Told her I'd think about it and call back.
    Anyone have the Genie? I'm thinking I can do much better when I call back to
    "cancel".