Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Annual DirecTV discount thread

Quote Originally Posted by LockeJET View Post
    NFL Sunday ticket Max is 59.99 over 5 months. Basically $300 overall. I'm paying full price for the ticket but I get these credits.

I got $100 instant credit and $10 off my bill for 18 months

So the Ticket cost me $300 but I'm getting $280 in credits.

So it's costing me $20 this year.
    How did you get this deal? I logged into my account and I just see the full charge of $300 over 5 months. How did you get the $100 instant credit and another $180 off over the next 18 months?

Quote Originally Posted by Tennessee_Jet View Post
    Just called to cancel my ST but the rep told me
    I didn't have last year ( I did but got it free). So I asked when my
    contract expired and was told I was under no contract
    at this time so I said great cause I was thinking of
    switching since I wasn't happy with the DVR. She offered
    the Genie system for three TVs with no charge for the equipment but
    additional $3 per month charge. I then asked about ST and was quoted
    $37.49/month for 6 months. Told her I'd think about it and call back.
    Anyone have the Genie? I'm thinking I can do much better when I call back to
    "cancel".
    You didn't take the Genie? The Genie is completely awesome by the way. Hopefully they keep that deal for you

I just called in the other night, I got pissed because I received a monthly bill of $163. That was for the sports package, HBO, DVR on one TV, service on 3 TV's.

I told them if I didn't get my bill down to $75 per month, I was going to disconnect it altogether.

They explained that the bill was so high because I was no longer on any deals and $37 was for the first installment on NFL Sunday ticket.

They gave me Sunday ticket for free and knocked my bill down to $75.98 per month for the next 6 months. Go figure.

Quote Originally Posted by CharlieDelray View Post
    I currently have DTV with two HD DVR boxes (HR20-100), and have had ST the past few years.

I am thinking of upgrading to the new Genie system. Because just like on the commercials, we are often running out of disk space - or have three shows to record (almost always at 9-11PM Sunday night!).

I also need to get ST since I am in Florida. It looks like "LIST" price is $225 or 5*$45.

I wonder the best strategy to get the best deal while getting both of these deals accomplished. Thoughts?
    As for the ST in Fl, I have Comcast year round. I tell DTV I am a snowbird and only need the service for 6 months. I then put it in suspension for 6 months (which is the max allowed). Last year I got ST for free this year I got it for $100 paid in full plus a $13 a month discount, so 2 HD boxes and the family plan for $40 a month. It was the best I could. I have been doing this for the past four years.

Just tried calling Directv to get the Sunday ticket for $179 like a couple of folks on here and all they would offer me was 5 payments of $49.99. I have been a Directv customer non-stop since 1996 but I haven't had the Sunday ticket for the last three years so I guess I have no leverage, that and I only subscribe to a very basic package around $112 a month. I turned down their offer and just hung up the phone. I'm getting desperate here.........

Veteran
    My DVR hard drive broke the other day, and without the protection plan, I had to pay $20 to get a new one (no biggie, but I did lose all the rugby I had recorded). I used it as my chance to call. Ended up getting $25 off my monthly bill for the next year, and ST Max at $35 for 4 months, so $300 off and $140 for ST, so saved $160 in the end and got ST for free (if you want to look at it that way). Also have have Showtime for free for 4 months so I can watch Homeland

Not too bad. The first guy I got was 100% useless and just canceled my ST when I asked instead of playing the bargaining game. Hung up and called back, got a much nice, more helpful lady the second time. As others have said, if the person isn't being helpful, just hang up and call back.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by jetglass View Post
    How did you get this deal? I logged into my account and I just see the full charge of $300 over 5 months. How did you get the $100 instant credit and another $180 off over the next 18 months?
    Haven't you read this thread? You have to call the retention dpt. and play the game. You will get all kinds of perks an or discounts.

I have been a DTV customer since 2001, and get their most premium package. I am notunder contract and can walk away without penalty. In other words, I am in the best possible negotiating position, with maximum leverage. Like I do every July, I called and asked immediately to cancel service, which is code to be immediately connected with the Retention Team. But before I did that, I called the local cable company and got their prices on as similar programming to what I get from DTV as I could find. I don't even mention Sunday Ticket until I am deep into the negotiation for better pricing. I tell them that I can get very similar programming for close to $100 per month (about $48 per month less than my Premier DTV monthly bill), which is about a $20+ exaggeration of the truth. Unless they can offer me something comparable, I tell them I'm gone. So they arrange assorted discounts on various components of my programming for 6, 9and 12 months, which added up to $48.50 off per month for the next 6 months, $36 discount per month for the next 3 months after that, and finally $20 off per month for the following 3 months. At that point I hesitate and tell them that this brings the pricing somewhat closer to what we feel is appropriate, but it's still not enough. It's only then that I raise the issue of Sunday Ticket (with Red Zone, of course). For the last 2 years, they have comped me the full SundayTicket. Free. In addition to the discounts above. They did exactly the same this year. I make it sound like ST is not a major plus, but a nice enough extra perk for me to accept the other discount options they have offered. Works like a charm. I love DTV and the negotiating process that you could never get away with with hardass companies like Verizon or Time Warner.

Quote Originally Posted by Dcat View Post
    I have been a DTV customer since 2001, and get their most premium package. I am notunder contract and can walk away without penalty. In other words, I am in the best possible negotiating position, with maximum leverage. Like I do every July, I called and asked immediately to cancel service, which is code to be immediately connected with the Retention Team. But before I did that, I called the local cable company and got their prices on as similar programming to what I get from DTV as I could find. I don't even mention Sunday Ticket until I am deep into the negotiation for better pricing. I tell them that I can get very similar programming for close to $100 per month (about $48 per month less than my Premier DTV monthly bill), which is about a $20+ exaggeration of the truth. Unless they can offer me something comparable, I tell them I'm gone. So they arrange assorted discounts on various components of my programming for 6, 9and 12 months, which added up to $48.50 off per month for the next 6 months, $36 discount per month for the next 3 months after that, and finally $20 off per month for the following 3 months. At that point I hesitate and tell them that this brings the pricing somewhat closer to what we feel is appropriate, but it's still not enough. It's only then that I raise the issue of Sunday Ticket (with Red Zone, of course). For the last 2 years, they have comped me the full SundayTicket. Free. In addition to the discounts above. They did exactly the same this year. I make it sound like ST is not a major plus, but a nice enough extra perk for me to accept the other discount options they have offered. Works like a charm. I love DTV and the negotiating process that you could never get away with with hardass companies like Verizon or Time Warner.

your right about Verizon Fios being tough to negotiate with. the first yr i had Fios, for there best tripple play package with all the premium channels and with multi room DVR i was paying 130 a month. after the first yr , it went up to like 160 or 170. it took me over 2 hrs on the phone to get the price back to 130 a month for the tripple play with all the premium channels and multi room dvr. was alot of work. my brother in law pays 130 a month for no premium channels.
    being that im getting such a good price for the tripple play with fios, im thinking of adding direct tv with there minmium package just to get the sunday tix. and iff your a AAA member they give you a extra $5 off a month the first yr.

Waterboy
    I call every year in July. Here is my deal this year. I had to accept a 1 year commitment to get the NFL ticket for free.

Free NFL Sunday ticket - saves $299
    20 off per month on our Premier package for 1 year - saves $240
    15 off per month on our Premier package for 15 months - saves $225
    Free HD – 10 off per month for year - saves $120
    6.5 off of Starz for 12 months - saves - saves $78
    HDextra pack free for 6 months – saves $30
    total savings $992 this year
    1 year commitment

Veteran
    Just got off the phone with Directv. Upgraded to the Genie system with no charge for equipment. Had to commit to 2 year contract which is OK with me and also got ST Max for free.

Quote Originally Posted by FTL Jet Fan View Post
    As for the ST in Fl, I have Comcast year round. I tell DTV I am a snowbird and only need the service for 6 months. I then put it in suspension for 6 months (which is the max allowed). Last year I got ST for free this year I got it for $100 paid in full plus a $13 a month discount, so 2 HD boxes and the family plan for $40 a month. It was the best I could. I have been doing this for the past four years.
    Have you tried slingbox as an option? Only asking because I kept my DTV service in LA and disconnected my service in DC. I was spending $340/month at both properties which was a waste as I only can watch tv during the weekend usually on Sunday. With slingbox I get the most out of my subscription and cut my cable bill by more than 50% per month.

Waterboy
    Quote Originally Posted by jetssjumets View Post
    Have you tried slingbox as an option? Only asking because I kept my DTV service in LA and disconnected my service in DC. I was spending $340/month at both properties which was a waste as I only can watch tv during the weekend usually on Sunday. With slingbox I get the most out of my subscription and cut my cable bill by more than 50% per month.
    Is there a cost for slingbox? Assuming that you still have the dish installed at the second location, another option would be to simply bring a receiver that's activated on the first location with you...doing this wouldn't incur any additional cost.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

All Pro
    I'm still on a commitment until August of 2014, so there wasn't much wiggle room for me. Here's what they offered:

Waive a $10 receiver fee for 6 months = $60
    Offer Sunday Ticket for 6 payments of $29.99 (vs. $37.49) = approx. $180 vs. approx. $225

I told them I'd mulled it over and call them back hoping that I'd get someone else that will offer a better deal...is there any chance that'll happen?

Practice Squad
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennessee_Jet View Post
    Just got off the phone with Directv. Upgraded to the Genie system with no charge for equipment. Had to commit to 2 year contract which is OK with me and also got ST Max for free.
    Yup... same here. Replaced two old HD DVR's with a Genie Master / Remote setup, very nice thank you. Plus new dish. Essentially no charge.

Technically, I did not get ST for free, I'm paying for it but they gave me a load of other promotions and savings that make up for it.

All League
    DirecTV novice here.

Will I be able to get the Jets Lions game Friday night? Again, I am living in Southern Cal and I hope I can see all this stuff, even the crappy preseason stuff. Let me know, thank you.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthTown View Post
    DirecTV novice here.

Will I be able to get the Jets Lions game Friday night? Again, I am living in Southern Cal and I hope I can see all this stuff, even the crappy preseason stuff. Let me know, thank you.
    it'll be on NFLN sat @4pm.

I'm still on a commitment until August of 2014, so there wasn't much wiggle room for me. Here's what they offered:

Waive a $10 receiver fee for 6 months = $60
    Offer Sunday Ticket for 6 payments of $29.99 (vs. $37.49) = approx. $180 vs. approx. $225

I told them I'd mulled it over and call them back hoping that I'd get someone else that will offer a better deal...is there any chance that'll happen?
    absolutely. In some years it took me multiple calls to get a willing rep to work with me. keep trying and make sure you are dealing with the retention team, and not the ordinary call center doofus.

Seems my cable provider here in Canada is only offering sunday ticket delux as a package (which includes redzone and the other stuff which I could care less about.) Of course it is about $20 more a month than just plain sunday ticket. Jerks.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthTown View Post
    DirecTV novice here.

NFL Sunday Ticket is for regular season only.

You will be able to see the Jets Lions game on Saturday with regular NFL Network programming.