Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Annual DirecTV discount thread

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by UnMaTcHeD View Post
    Is there a cost for slingbox? Assuming that you still have the dish installed at the second location, another option would be to simply bring a receiver that's activated on the first location with you...doing this wouldn't incur any additional cost.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
    Yes. The latest version, slingbox 500, costs $300. It is wifi capable so all you are paying for is the box (no additional costs). It is worth every penny and works great. Since I have several cable/satellite subscriptions due to living on both coasts, this allowed me to cancel my cable service and keep my DTV and Verizon FIOS. I dedicate my slingbox to the FIOS (satellite goes out with weather) and I see my programming anywhere I travel just as if I was at home. The service is incredible. It also allows you to watch the programs you DVR and actually record programs. You are watching live TV from your laptop, ipad, etc. just as if you were home watching it.

Usually on the weekends, I am trying to catch up on programs I DVR during the week like ESPN First Take. But it is just too much especially if you want to also watch a live sporting event -- and keep in mind on the weekends I am out west so with the time difference and me being tired from my commute, this gives me the most from the subscriptions I am paying to DTV and VZ FIOS. It is worth every penny and I encourage you to get it....you won't be sorry.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by HawkeyeJet View Post
    Just got off the phone and couldn't be happier. I hit a home run in my opinion. $50 a month bill discounts for next 12 months. Free Sunday Ticket. Free Genie upgrade including 2 mini genies. Very happy.

All i did was say i was thinking of switching to Dish for the Ipad they offer new customers and he came right out with that offer. I accepted and we talked football for the next 20 minutes. Didn't push anymore because i wanted to save some bullets for down the road.

I aimed and pushed for your deal but couldn't get there: one time $50 credit, free ST including crediting the 2 payments we've already made on it, $10 credit for 24 months.

Very nice southern black woman (I know her race isn't important, just could tell by her voice and word choice), we talked about our kids and DC life vs Tenn life, she said she likes to help out people with babies b/c she knows how expensive they are.

Hate making this call very year, I dread it and put it off for weeks, such a terrible negotiator. But like others have said, just be nice and have a regular discussion. I used the Dish thread and Fios also as leverage.

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by brady's a catcher View Post
    I aimed and pushed for your deal but couldn't get there: one time $50 credit, free ST including crediting the 2 payments we've already made on it, $10 credit for 24 months.

Very nice southern black woman (I know her race isn't important, just could tell by her voice and word choice), we talked about our kids and DC life vs Tenn life, she said she likes to help out people with babies b/c she knows how expensive they are.

Hate making this call very year, I dread it and put it off for weeks, such a terrible negotiator. But like others have said, just be nice and have a regular discussion. I used the Dish thread and Fios also as leverage.
    Same here, hate calling every year but I thought what do I have to lose.
    Here's what I got:
    Free ST, ST Max for $110 (36.99 per for 3 mo), $20. credit for 12 months, Free DVR service for 12 months($10.per mo), Starz 1/2 off for 12 months($6.50 per mo) plus my contract exp date doesn't extend, still expires in 3 months. It's not the best but I'm satisfied.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just called and threatened to cancel. This is what I got....free Sunday ticket and $35.00 off my current bill for a year with a one year commitment. Took it and ran...lol

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetman in indy View Post
    Just called and threatened to cancel. This is what I got....free Sunday ticket and $35.00 off my current bill for a year with a one year commitment. Took it and ran...lol
    Just did the same thing for my parents. My dad said he didn't want to pay for Sunday ticket, so I not only got it for free, it's like they are paying him to have it. Now when i go home, I can at least watch whatever game I want.

Mod Friend to JI Legends
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well, boys, the technician FU'd and I just parlayed that mess into FREE ST/RZ for 2013.

Sweet.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Called a few months ago to order the Genie, wanted to charge me for everything so I told them I was canceling service but needed to look around for best option first, but in mean time cancel football. they ended up cutting price in half on football and I dropped the Genie thing.

I called back last month to bluff and asked to cancel all service, they asked why, explained I pay full service, 7 boxes with NFL and MLB for over 7 years and premium service for 10 years and they want to charge me to install the Genie. On top of the $100.00 NFL credit I got a $49.00 MLB credit, a $60.00 a month premium credit for 12 months and the Genie installation with the boxes updated for free.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by leftturn3 View Post
    Called a few months ago to order the Genie, wanted to charge me for everything so I told them I was canceling service but needed to look around for best option first, but in mean time cancel football. they ended up cutting price in half on football and I dropped the Genie thing.

I called back last month to bluff and asked to cancel all service, they asked why, explained I pay full service, 7 boxes with NFL and MLB for over 7 years and premium service for 10 years and they want to charge me to install the Genie. On top of the $100.00 NFL credit I got a $49.00 MLB credit, a $60.00 a month premium credit for 12 months and the Genie installation with the boxes updated for free.
    It truly is interesting the wide spectrum of offers you can get from DirecTV depending on whom you talk to.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just got off the phone and am pretty happy.
    Been with Directv since the 90's and am out of contract.
    Mentioned the free Hopper/Ipad 2 deal and was rewarded with:

Free Genie, cinema connection kit (not sure what this is yet), 2 mini genies, $30 off my bill for a year.
    Couldn't get free ticket, since it was free last season, but she said I'll get it free next year.

So in essence I got:
    Ticket for $7 a month
    Free Genie 2 mini genies
    $30 off my bill for 6 months

Genie also winds up saving me money over my current plan.
    Genie is $3 a month plus $6 per tv.
    The DVR is $10 a tv.
    My bill will be $21 a month instead of $30 for the receivers!

BTW- had to sign for 2 years for the equipment.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sunday Ticket Max for $147
    $50.00 one time credit + $10.00 off for 12 months
    Free Showtime for 4 months
    1/2 off my Starz for 12 months
    Free Genie Upgrade
    Thank you Deanna ID # 459805

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    I am not sure how true this is, an AT&T Uverse technician here in LA told me that Directv will be dropping the "exclusivity" of the Sunday Ticket -- not renewing deal with the NFL. He claims that once their current deal expires in 2014, the NFL will make ST available to multiple providers. Directv is losing a lot of money on the "exclusivity."

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetssjumets View Post
    I am not sure how true this is, an AT&T Uverse technician here in LA told me that Directv will be dropping the "exclusivity" of the Sunday Ticket -- not renewing deal with the NFL. He claims that once their current deal expires in 2014, the NFL will make ST available to multiple providers. Directv is losing a lot of money on the "exclusivity."
    I think the possibility of that being true is extremely small.

Mod Friend to JI Legends
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetssjumets View Post
    Isn't Google involved with this dance you mention?