Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 46

Thread: Boomer and Carton you were so wrong this morning...

  1. #21
    All Pro
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Huntersville, NC
    Posts
    6,230
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JB1089 View Post
    After taking some time to think about, I fully expect the league to eventually waive the cap penalties. IF Hernandez is convicted.


    If they don't, then they're giving teams an incentive to keep players that are convicted of capital crimes on the roster and with a direct and active affiliation with the league.

    The Patriots could have kept Hernandez on their roster, the league would have suspended him indefinitely, they wouldn't have to pay him or suffer any cap penalties, and Hernandez, if convicted, would have to pay them back the bonus money he'd already received if they went after it (already a precedent from the Vick case).

    Is the NFL really going to punish a team for cutting a murderer? I find that hard to believe. He's got to be convicted first, though. If his legal team gets him off, the Pats are going to have to live with those penalties.
    I disagree. By allowing the cap hit to disappear, every team will have no issues about signing thugs. The cap hit needs to be a deterrent to making bad decisions like that.

  2. #22
    Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Borgo's House
    Posts
    4,444
    Post Thanks / Like
    Boomer was brutal at times during his 3 years with the Jets, but he was far from one of the worst we've had under center the last 30 years.

  3. #23
    Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Borgo's House
    Posts
    4,444
    Post Thanks / Like
    As for Hernandez and cap implications, I'm not sure the Pats can seek any type of relief or claw backs until there is an actual conviction. You're still innocent until proven guilty, no matter how damning the evidence.

  4. #24
    All League
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    4,034
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JetinHuntersville View Post
    I disagree. By allowing the cap hit to disappear, every team will have no issues about signing thugs. The cap hit needs to be a deterrent to making bad decisions like that.
    This.

  5. #25
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    49,999
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just curious...in what cases are teams permitted cap relief?

    Death of a player? Anything else?

  6. #26
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    nyc
    Posts
    11,555
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JetinHuntersville View Post
    I disagree. By allowing the cap hit to disappear, every team will have no issues about signing thugs. The cap hit needs to be a deterrent to making bad decisions like that.
    No, wouldn't deter them at all. It WOULD make the player fall a little further, but if a guy had the kind of talent Hernandez has, someone will take flyer on him. Can you imagine a guy like that falling ant further than he did? And basically the ruling you're looking for IS in effect, NE has no guarantee, and couldn't think they would at the time they drafted or extended him, that they won't take the cap hit. And while the lower draft round would seem to mean less money to the thug, I'm pretty sure Hernandez' original contract had a ton of behavior incentives. The cap hit issue is only the result of the extension, at which point, with a few years of seemingly good behavior, they probably no longer considered him a thug. And he probably figured "ok, I've been good, got paid, let's go shoot some mother****ers."
    Last edited by isired; 07-03-2013 at 11:22 AM.

  7. #27
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    2,316
    Post Thanks / Like
    Carton did plainly say that NE should not be punished with any cap implications, and he's wrong. The bottom line is once a team signs a player they are on the hook for all actions taken by the player, no matter how unforseen it may be. The Pats made their bed, they have to lay in it. Let's not act like the Pats had no idea Hernandez was a risk.

  8. #28
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    14,816
    Post Thanks / Like
    IIRC, the Past can't get any cap relief because they cut him before being convicted or something like that.

  9. #29
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Oceanside, Long Island
    Posts
    10,620
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JetinHuntersville View Post
    I disagree. By allowing the cap hit to disappear, every team will have no issues about signing thugs. The cap hit needs to be a deterrent to making bad decisions like that.
    Spare the rod spoil the child.

    The Patriots have been rather naughty if I might be so bold sir. Perhaps they need to be.... "corrected"..... Perhaps.... a little bit more.

    Last edited by EM31; 07-03-2013 at 02:24 PM.

  10. #30
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    2,442
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JetinHuntersville View Post
    I disagree. By allowing the cap hit to disappear, every team will have no issues about signing thugs. The cap hit needs to be a deterrent to making bad decisions like that.
    I agree. There must be incentives to not pay thugs.

  11. #31
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    2,442
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by isired View Post
    No, wouldn't deter them at all. It WOULD make the player fall a little further, but if a guy had the kind of talent Hernandez has, someone will take flyer on him. Can you imagine a guy like that falling ant further than he did? And basically the ruling you're looking for IS in effect, NE has no guarantee, and couldn't think they would at the time they drafted or extended him, that they won't take the cap hit. And while the lower draft round would seem to mean less money to the thug, I'm pretty sure Hernandez' original contract had a ton of behavior incentives. The cap hit issue is only the result of the extension, at which point, with a few years of seemingly good behavior, they probably no longer considered him a thug. And he probably figured "ok, I've been good, got paid, let's go shoot some mother****ers."
    It's not the draft position I think is important. It's the guarantee money they give them.


    If teams don't get this money back or have negative cap implications they will not pay these players as much. So thugs will realize they have to be good ( even prior to playing in the nfl).

  12. #32
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Ithaca, NY
    Posts
    2,331
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GetaLife View Post
    They were saying the Pats should NOT be penalized with cap ramifications because of what they felt was them having no way of knowing this could ever happen.. And that it isn't right ect ect..

    NO WAY!!

    Is it fair if another team signs a big player to a huge singing bonus and that player does not work out or gets hurt?? Hey... They didn't know he was going to get hurt??

    My point is they knew he was bad news when they drafted him.. Knew he was a punk.. Knew he was a gang banger.. Knew it all... I know they never could have seen it coming to this extent. But tough ****..

    You took a chance on the guy.. a gamble.. and you lost.. Now suffer the cap hit,,,
    I think this is the correct way to look at it. It sucks for the Pats but really it is no different then if a guy under performs or gets injured. You gave him the contract now honor it.

    If they get out of this one is BS. They should of made in incentive based.

  13. #33
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Oceanside, Long Island
    Posts
    10,620
    Post Thanks / Like
    You could almost say that Aaron Hernandez busted a cap in the Patriots a$$


    Maybe

  14. #34
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    nyc
    Posts
    11,555
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by batman10023 View Post
    It's not the draft position I think is important. It's the guarantee money they give them.


    If teams don't get this money back or have negative cap implications they will not pay these players as much. So thugs will realize they have to be good ( even prior to playing in the nfl).
    That is exactly how he was treated out of the draft, right? I think he had very few guarantees because of the off the field issues.

  15. #35
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    684
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by EM31 View Post
    You could almost say that Aaron Hernandez busted a cap in the Patriots a$$


    Maybe
    Or.... He busted a cap in their cap!

  16. #36
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    7,654
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunnie View Post
    No they said they thought the rules were unfair .... Same thing.

    The point was that if Goodall suspended him, they would not have the cap hit, they did not want to wait until the trial for him to make the decision

  17. #37
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    7,751
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Snell41 View Post
    Carton did plainly say that NE should not be punished with any cap implications, and he's wrong. The bottom line is once a team signs a player they are on the hook for all actions taken by the player, no matter how unforseen it may be. The Pats made their bed, they have to lay in it. Let's not act like the Pats had no idea Hernandez was a risk.
    Carton's a moron. He's like a lost child when he isn't recycling Howard's old bits.

  18. #38
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    7,751
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SRQman87 View Post
    How was boomer set up to fail with the jets?
    Uh his head coach was Rich Kotite and his offensive line couldn't protect a cup or warm pee. I hate Boomer and yes he was at the end of his career anyway but he was in an impossible situation when he was a jet and he's clearly bitter about it to this day since he grew up in LI and was probably a jet fan growing up.

  19. #39
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    5,044
    Post Thanks / Like
    I love the way Jets fans are obsessed with what talk show hosts and journalists say. If you read the posts in here, you get the sense that everyone who does sports in NYC is an idiot or hates the Jets. This is a sure sign of a fan base that has been in the losing column for too many years and is very frustrated.

  20. #40
    Waterboy
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    98
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rextilleon View Post
    I love the way Jets fans are obsessed with what talk show hosts and journalists say. If you read the posts in here, you get the sense that everyone who does sports in NYC is an idiot or hates the Jets. This is a sure sign of a fan base that has been in the losing column for too many years and is very frustrated.
    Do you not think that the local media has an agenda against this team?

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us