at Buffalo Bills
    L 10–35

Week 14 December 1, 1996
    Houston Oilers
    L 10–35

Week 15 December 8, 1996
    at New England Patriots
    L 10–34
    lolz!...Oh jeebus. What a fun three weeks that must have been! Like Ground Hog's Day...over and over....and over.

Fortunately that all transpired during a blurry senior year in college for me and I was barely even paying attention to the Jets that season. I'm glad I don't remember much.

Quote Originally Posted by bobr68 View Post
    It was my first year as a STH....no wins at home, and it rained a lot if I remember correctly....or at least it seemed as it did....
    I think you're right. The opening game against the Colts I remember a minor delay because of thunderstorms.

In contrast to 1998, it seemed to be Sunny and nice weather for every game. I think that Seattle game in December was around 60 degrees.

I remember it well the first year Kotite was coach they gutted the team. They traded Rob Moore pickup crappy Ron Moore for rb. The jets were so depleted a guy by the name of Wayne Chrebet got a shot. The next year was worse the jets signed Jumbo Elliott to help rebuil the Ol. In the first game Elliot went down and the Ol fell apart. Neil odonnell got sacked beaten up so bad they yanked him and put Frank Reich in.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by nyjets1969 View Post
    I remember it well the first year Kotite was coach they gutted the team. They traded Rob Moore pickup crappy Ron Moore for rb. The jets were so depleted a guy by the name of Wayne Chrebet got a shot. The next year was worse the jets signed Jumbo Elliott to help rebuil the Ol. In the first game Elliot went down and the Ol fell apart. Neil odonnell got sacked beaten up so bad they yanked him and put Frank Reich in.
    just a couple of tweaks... pretty much ALL the wide receivers on the original training camp depth chart got injured or otherwise didn't pan out. I was out at Hofstra watching and we all figured this little guy Sherbert was going to be the first one cut, being a UDFA from Hofstra.

Meanwhile Kotite, being a former TE, loaded up the roster with crappy Tight Ends, all of whom made the final roster. Wide Receivers were few and far between except for this kid Sherbert who caught everything in sight during the preseason and ended up starting.

After the magnificent 3-13 season, they drafted Keyshawn Johnson with the first pick in the entire draft and Alex Van Dyke with the second. They signed David Williams and Jumbo Elliott for the OL and Neil O'Donnell to be the savior at QB. Ron Ehrhardt was hired from the Steelers to be the OC and many of us were hopeful that he would be the defacto head coach making Kotite a figurehead.

Training camp started and the Sherbert kid from Hofstra hung in there and ended up starting ahead of Van Dyke and along with Johnson. O'Donnell was underwhelming from day one (and blamed everybody and everything else for it --- SOUND FAMILIAR??-- Williams and Elliott spent the entire training camp on bikes and off to the side doing exercises, both being not ready to play football with some sort of injuries.

O'Donnell went down with some sort of injury after a few games and Reich took his place. In about week 14 or so, O'Donnell made his triumphant return on a rainy wet Meadowlands field, took one good long look at the mess he was about to be the QB of and "reinjured" something during warmups, limped off to the locker room and wasn't seen again until the 1997 season when Parcells finally had enough of him and replaced him with Glenn Foley

Wonder about all these injuries??

The Kotite strength coordinator told the story of the Kotite conditioning program during the 1997 season when he was being blamed for all kinds of stuff by the media. Of course, it wasn't mandatory but most of the players did show up. The weight room in Hofstra (until Parcells redid it )consisted of a few pieces of outdated and/or broken equipment.

The real beauty of the Kotite conditioning program was that the 90 or more players were supervised and monitored by the ONE strength coordinator-- No Kotite, none of his coordinators, none of his assistant coaches EVER showed up to see what was happening. So the players would sign in, talk to the strength guy, mill around waiting for a machine or weights and then when the strength guy went to talk to another player, sneak out the back door and go home.

Result -- the whole team was out of shape and injured for those entire two seasons.

We all know about the changes Parcells made to that conditioning program when he arrived and, in my opinion, that had a lot to do with many of the same players suddenly showing dramatic improvement in 97

Quote Originally Posted by chrisjets23 View Post
    I think you're right. The opening game against the Colts I remember a minor delay because of thunderstorms.

In contrast to 1998, it seemed to be Sunny and nice weather for every game. I think that Seattle game in December was around 60 degrees.
    Yup. That SEA game was almost surreal. I went there without tickets and ended up scoring two tickets dead center in the end zone for face value, 10 rows up from Vinny's infamous "TD" scramble. Somebody a few posts back said we never get a call our way. Trust me, we got a call hahahaha. Anyway I remember walking around the parking lot comfortably in a tshirt. I also remember Joey Galloway was killing us that game too.

All Pro
    We ran a high school offense.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Nut View Post
    How would Boomer have known that? He wasn't a Jet in 96.
    You're right; Boomer was in NY from 93 to 95, while Kotite was in NY from 95 to 96. My mistake; Boomer must have been talking about 95.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Quote Originally Posted by SRQman87 View Post
    Seeing as I was only ten years old during that 1-15 season, I was hoping to learn from some of the old timers on here about that team.

What exactly made the jets so bad that year? Was it bad offense? Defense? Everything? I know Kotite was terrible but obviously there had to be more to it than just that for such a bad record.
    You had to remind me, huh

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by wvjet View Post
    For some odd reason I have some Jets Russian Nesting dolls from that era. It has a big O'Donnell..a Glen Foley...Murrell..Victor Green...and a tiny Otis Smith. I have no idea why I have these things.
    In 95 Murrell had 71 receptions to 66 for Wayne..

Quote Originally Posted by Snell41 View Post
    Yup. That SEA game was almost surreal. I went there without tickets and ended up scoring two tickets dead center in the end zone for face value, 10 rows up from Vinny's infamous "TD" scramble. Somebody a few posts back said we never get a call our way. Trust me, we got a call hahahaha. Anyway I remember walking around the parking lot comfortably in a tshirt. I also remember Joey Galloway was killing us that game too.
    Haha, no doubt about it. I told my friends after the Vinny sneak, that made up for the terrible call in Detroit the year before where the Lions DB bobbled the Leon Johnson INT.

Galloway did kill us that game. I remember they tried a 3rd time to him, and Aaron Glenn got injured after making a leaping INT (I think he tore an ACL?). Marcus Coleman came in and did a tremendous job...and ended up being pretty solid for us the next couple of years.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by I against I View Post
    I think the horrible call there was thinking Leon Johnson could throw a football.
    Agreed. It was a terrible call. Bill outsmarted himself there, cost us the playoffs.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by shevys View Post
    Agreed. It was a terrible call. Bill outsmarted himself there, cost us the playoffs.
    have any of you heard that loathesome SOJF Benigno actually claim that Parcells deliberately threw the game in order to spite Neil O'Dummy

the most moronic radio personality since Marconi invented the medium

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by I against I View Post
    I think the horrible call there was thinking Leon Johnson could throw a football.
    Yup, brutal. Just a soul crusher.

Thankfully I've blocked out most of the memories from that horrific season. Here's what I do remember:

-The infamous shovel pass from Bubby Brister that was intercepted and returned for a TD vs. Jacksonville. This might have been the low point of the year.

-Adrian Murrell busting a big gainer at the end of the Arizona game, giving us our only win. I was so relieved when it happened.

-Wayne Chrebet showing flashes of ability in his rookie year.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by jetstream23 View Post
    lolz!...Oh jeebus. What a fun three weeks that must have been! Like Ground Hog's Day...over and over....and over.

Fortunately that all transpired during a blurry senior year in college for me and I was barely even paying attention to the Jets that season. I'm glad I don't remember much.
    The sad thing is I remember watching the 1st game against Denver and by halftime realizing that this was going to be a baaaaaaaaaadddd season.

A lot of guys here being pretty hard on Neil o Donnell. Wasn't he pretty good with Pittsburgh for a few years before coming over to the jets? Why did he suck all of a sudden?

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Quote Originally Posted by SRQman87 View Post
    A lot of guys here being pretty hard on Neil o Donnell. Wasn't he pretty good with Pittsburgh for a few years before coming over to the jets? Why did he suck all of a sudden?
    Neil grew up in the town next to me and currently lives right here in the area, good guy. He wasn't very good in the big moment, see SB. I remember when he signed that 25 million dollar contract with the Jets, unreal. He use to drive like an 88 Benz in 98 , lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Snell41 View Post
    I don't know which SEA game was more memorable...the '98 game you're talking about, or the season-opener the year before when the Jets ran up 41 in a blowout. Both games indicated the death of the SOJ. Will always appreciate Parcells for that.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by JetsCrazey View Post
    Thankfully I've blocked out most of the memories from that horrific season. Here's what I do remember:

-The infamous shovel pass from Bubby Brister that was intercepted and returned for a TD vs. Jacksonville. This might have been the low point of the year.

-Adrian Murrell busting a big gainer at the end of the Arizona game, giving us our only win. I was so relieved when it happened.

It was the shovel pass vs Carolina. Gave them their first organizational win.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by JetsCrazey View Post

1995 was Chrebets rookie season.