Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: The 1996 Kotite Jets

All Pro
    I have two Kotite stories.
    1st, I was the official Dj for the Staten Island Chapter of the March of Dimes. I owuld provide music and entertainment for their events. Teh biggest one is the Walk-A-Thon. During opening ceremony they announce local celebrities (it was Kotite's rookie season) and they announce his wife as a local celebrity standing in for him since mini camp had opened. After ceremonies she came over and we began talking. We spoke a few hours and she said that she would get me an autograph my wife (girl friend back then) brings my Jet hat and I give it to Mrs. Kotite with my name and address. An entire year goes by and no hat. The next Walk-A-Thin she apollogizes and tells me that she will send me an autographed team football. As she speaks on teh microphone at ceremony she says that Richie ias Jet camp with the Super Bowl Qb and #1 pick Keyshawn Johnson and this year will different (1-15) and still no hat. Its 17 years later and he still has my hat - lol

Then in 2000 I DJed for the March Of Dimes and John Franco celebrity bowling and auction. Met a ton of Mets, yankees etc. Every celebrity was announced in except Rich Kotie - he didn't want to be noticed.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Yankeejet22 View Post
    C O A C H I N G

the next year Parcells had them at 9-7, and only a Horrible call by the refs in the end zone in game 16 vs the Lions kept them out of the playoffs.

This! The talent was mostly the same the next year. They just lacked discipline. I remember many games they were leading and then they blow it in the 4th quarter. I think conditioning also played a big roll. Lots of guys standing around late in games with hands on their hips. Parcells fixed that quick.

I actually remember the offense being pretty good. Murrell was the first and I think still the only guy to run for 1,000 yards on a 1-15 team. They had good WR's. Defense gave up a ton as I remember. Especially in the secondary.

Quote Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
    Wow, sounds like a circus.

SOJ I guess.
    I see what you're up to... Some kind of reverse-jinx thing going on.

I KNEW you weren't actually a Pasts* fan.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Mohegangreen View Post
    I was in Detroit for that game...You could clearly see the guys foot out of bounds, typical BS...we can never get a call
    Parcells didn't have a good day coaching. The Leon pass in the EZ was a bad call by Parcells, and then he took Neil out and replaced him with Ray Ray who was a SP player at the time. Of course Ray Ray came in, and didn't know wtf he was doing and threw 2 int's to stop go ahead drives. Then Parcells puts Neil back in, and on the last drive of the game Key dropped a perfect pass from o Donnel on 4th down that could have been a TD or given the Jets a first down on the Lions 49 with a minute left to go in the game. The next year he dumped O'Donnel and signed Vinny T as a back up to Foley, of course Foley got hurt Vinny came in and lead us to that great ride in 98.

Quote Originally Posted by 2009fatman View Post
    Parcells didn't have a good day coaching. The Leon pass in the EZ was a bad call by Parcells, and then he took Neil out and replaced him with Ray Ray who was a SP player at the time. Of course Ray Ray came in, and didn't know wtf he was doing and threw 2 int's to stop go ahead drives. Then Parcells puts Neil back in, and on the last drive of the game Key dropped a perfect pass from o Donnel on 4th down that could have been a TD or given the Jets a first down on the Lions 49 with a minute left to go in the game. The next year he dumped O'Donnel and signed Vinny T as a back up to Foley, of course Foley got hurt Vinny came in and lead us to that great ride in 98.
    Agreed, but even though those gimmick plays failed miserably, I don't kill Parcells on it because I loved the creativity and boldness in the playcalling and the win at all cost mentality he brought to our team.

Quote Originally Posted by Snell41 View Post
    Somebody a few posts back said we never get a call our way. Trust me, we got a call hahahaha.
    Yea, you got me, we got that ridiculous call in the Seattle game, but I think we've already paid that back tenfold...we can rarely even get a big one go our way ever since even with instant replay...So , I'd say 99.9% of the time we can't get a call, hows that?

Quote Originally Posted by NYJ37/12 View Post
    Not sure where to begin:

A malcontent number one pick at wide receiver.
    Keyshawn was hardly the problem that year. He had over 800 yards receiving that year from 3 different QB's, none of whom will be knocking down Canton's doors, and battled through a knee injury. Some people need to get over the book and admit that the guy played 4 good (1996 and 1997) to great (1998 & 1999) seasons for us.

Quote Originally Posted by Mohegangreen View Post
    Yea, you got me, we got that ridiculous call in the Seattle game, but I think we've already paid that back tenfold...we can rarely even get a big one go our way ever since even with instant replay...So , I'd say 99.9% of the time we can't get a call, hows that?
    Much better hahaha. Just busting your chops buddy, that one call hasn't made up for the tons, and I mean TONS of calls that went against us.

Quote Originally Posted by Snell41 View Post
    Much better hahaha. Just busting your chops buddy, that one call hasn't made up for the tons, and I mean TONS of calls that went against us.
    Now you're talkin...😎

All League
    I was at the Redskins game...had just gotten out of the Army and lived in D.C.

Two things I'll always remember from that game:

The hand-written sign at the beer vendor - he was writting the score on it and it read "Washington Redskins vs the $40 million Offense" after the Jets had signed O'Donell, a bunch of over the hill free agents, and drafte Key #1 overall

Keyshawn catching a TD in the right corner of the end zone, then, being the stupid punk he was, he handed it to the DB....and it was ruled an INT.

Sadly, I was wearing a Kyle Brady jersey that day.....good times.

1996 1-15 Jets actually had pretty good talent. Which is why Parcells went 9-7 and almost made the playoffs the immediate next season with almost the same roster.

Defense was Loaded with Studs:

Hugh Douglas
    Mo Lewis
    Marvin Jones
    Aaron Glenn (probably the 2nd best ever Jets DB after Revis)
    Victor Green (probably #3 on all-time Jets DBs)

Offense:

O'Donnel - a JAG but not really any worse than the Chad Penningtons or Mark Sanchezes of the world

Murrell - good back, definitely better than any RB currently on our roster

Keyshawn - when he was still young and fast

Chrebet - already a good slot receiver

O-line was attrocious however.

Just goes to show horrible a coach Dick Kotite was.

I moved to Atlanta in 1991. I was spared the misery of watching the Jets back in those days. There was no NFL package and no Direct TV. Even though the Jets have not won a Super Bowl in years, they have been respectable during the last ten years.

That year I was in a bar when Mills intercepts BBrister shuffle pass for TD. The female bartender buys me a drink and said "you NEED this"
    Also I had the authentic Keyshawn Jersey back then wish I knew tarajersey back then

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by oldtimefan47 View Post
    I moved to Atlanta in 1991. I was spared the misery of watching the Jets back in those days. There was no NFL package and no Direct TV. Even though the Jets have not won a Super Bowl in years, they have been respectable during the last ten years.
    You still in the ATL?

A bunch of us watch the games at Mazzy's in Marietta

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Double post

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

It was my second year as a STH. My Dad was psyched when Kotite was signed as he had some business dealings with his father. I went to every home game, but was so distraught I decided to attend a Super Bowl with no hope of ever seeing the Jets in one. On the trip to New Orleans I fell in love with the town and often go back. Packers fans heavily outweighed the Pats in attendance and there was no cheating. The Pats have since "won" a couple there and nowadays you can find many chowds who never left the Crescent City.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet_Engine1 View Post
    I was at the Redskins game...had just gotten out of the Army and lived in D.C.

Two things I'll always remember from that game:

The hand-written sign at the beer vendor - he was writting the score on it and it read "Washington Redskins vs the $40 million Offense" after the Jets had signed O'Donell, a bunch of over the hill free agents, and drafte Key #1 overall

Keyshawn catching a TD in the right corner of the end zone, then, being the stupid punk he was, he handed it to the DB....and it was ruled an INT.

Sadly, I was wearing a Kyle Brady jersey that day.....good times.
    I don't remember it being an INT i thought they called it incomplete.

Undrafted Free Agent
    It's fair to pin most of the 1996 woes on coaching. Little-known fact: Despite ending up 1-15, the 1996 Jets led seven games at halftime and were tied two other times at halftime.

I remember attending that Oilers game in December and hearing on the pregame show that O'Donnell was injured in warmups and wouldn't play. I sat in the mostly empty parking lot for a while, watched the pouring rain fall to the ground and eventually walked into the stadium. Maybe 20,000 people showed up. I made it a point to sit there in my upper deck seat in the rain and watch every play of that game, saying to myself that this will always serve as the ultimate low point in a lifetime of Jets low points.

The other thing I remember about that season (by sixth as a season ticket holder) was that when the Jets were on the road, because I live in suburban Philadelphia and not in the New York market, I usually went to a sports bar to watch them. (I took quite a bit of abuse there for wearing my Jets gear, as one would expect).

I remember going there to watch the game at Jacksonville, which was a close loss early in the season. With about two minutes left in the game, it was obvious the Jets were going to lose, and it was 4 p.m. and people sitting near me at the bar were clamoring for the bartender to put the Eagles-Giants game on the TV where the Jets game was. Understand that the Jets-Jags was only on that one TV and the Eagles-Giants game was on about 10 other TVs in the establishment. Nevertheless, the bartender turned off the Jets game and I complained to no avail. When I went to the bathroom seconds later, because I was upset about them turning off the game, I punched the door and broke my hand. It was in a cast for a month.

The only game I was unable to watch in the 1996 season was, of course, the win over the Cardinals. I had to work at 5 p.m. that day, and it was a 4 p.m. start.

Also, by the way, the Bubby Brister shovel pass against Carolina that was mentioned in a few earlier posts actually happened in 1995, which was almost as bad a season.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by J-E-F-F View Post
    It's fair to pin most of the 1996 woes on coaching. Little-known fact: Despite ending up 1-15, the 1996 Jets led seven games at halftime and were tied two other times at halftime.

I remember attending that Oilers game in December and hearing on the pregame show that O'Donnell was injured in warmups and wouldn't play. I sat in the mostly empty parking lot for a while, watched the pouring rain fall to the ground and eventually walked into the stadium. Maybe 20,000 people showed up. I made it a point to sit there in my upper deck seat in the rain and watch every play of that game, saying to myself that this will always serve as the ultimate low point in a lifetime of Jets low points.

The other thing I remember about that season (by sixth as a season ticket holder) was that when the Jets were on the road, because I live in suburban Philadelphia and not in the New York market, I usually went to a sports bar to watch them. (I took quite a bit of abuse there for wearing my Jets gear, as one would expect).

I remember going there to watch the game at Jacksonville, which was a close loss early in the season. With about two minutes left in the game, it was obvious the Jets were going to lose, and it was 4 p.m. and people sitting near me at the bar were clamoring for the bartender to put the Eagles-Giants game on the TV where the Jets game was. Understand that the Jets-Jags was only on that one TV and the Eagles-Giants game was on about 10 other TVs in the establishment. Nevertheless, the bartender turned off the Jets game and I complained to no avail. When I went to the bathroom seconds later, because I was upset about them turning off the game, I punched the door and broke my hand. It was in a cast for a month.

The only game I was unable to watch in the 1996 season was, of course, the win over the Cardinals. I had to work at 5 p.m. that day, and it was a 4 p.m. start.

Also, by the way, the Bubby Brister shovel pass against Carolina that was mentioned in a few earlier posts actually happened in 1995, which was almost as bad a season.

... torn between wanting to give you a hard time or commend your dedication ...

... maybe you are just the bad luck charm, since the only victory was the game you couldn't make

... shoot, razzing you won out ...

... please post more though ... you really painted a nice picture of your J-E-T-S fandom pain!

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

1996 was my freshman year of college at Rutgers, and the dorms on college ave (well at least my dorm) were not wired for cable. Of course I couldn't get any kind of reception in my dorm room with the antenna, so I had to drag by TV out to the floor's 'common area' to be able to watch the games. Every Sunday, usually hung over beyond belief, I carrying my TV out to sit by myself and watch the Jets lose each and every Sunday..

By December, being a broke college freshman with the holidays coming up, I turned to a fool proof way to make money - I'd bet AGAINST my Jets! They were up against the Eagles, and I believe a TD underdog. Easy money.

Well, the details of the game elude me, but here's what I'll never forget - the Jets have somehow played a tight game, and are only down 21-20. The Eagles have the ball around their own 40 yard line with about 3 minutes left in the game. For the first time in my life I'm openly rooting against the Jets - I had a whopping $200 on it! (Hey, high stakes for an 18 year old without a job) Suddenly, Charlie Garner takes the handoff, busts through the left side of the Jets defense and is off to the races. Only, somehow, Victor Green manages to tackle him at the one yard line.

It's the two minute warning, and I'm jumping up and down, thinking I'm about to win my bet. Only, when the game resumes, Philly (smartly) decides to kneel on the ball 3 straight times since the Jets were out of time outs. Philly wins 21-20, I lose my bet.. f'n Jets!