Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The 1996 Kotite Jets

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Yankeejet22 View Post
    C O A C H I N G

the next year Parcells had them at 9-7, and only a Horrible call by the refs in the end zone in game 16 vs the Lions kept them out of the playoffs.

Bad coaching pretty much sums it up. We made other mistakes but the coaching that year let a few games we should have won just walk away. Our drafting wasnt stellar either. We had some good 1st round picks but outside of Jason Fabini and maybe Mickens we didnt see a lot out of our 2-7th rounders. Guys like Dorian Boose, Rick Terry, Alex Van Dyke, Brady, Matt O'Dwyer, and Ryan Yarborough just thinned the team out.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    On the bright side Murrell on the 1996 1-15 team outrushed the Pats rb on less carries..
    Last edited by Savage69; 07-02-2013 at 10:29 AM.

Hall Of Fame
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ritchie started fairly well in Philly, the rest was a plane crash.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mohegangreen View Post
    Just looked it up, it was more blowouts then I remembered:

WeekDateOpponentResultGame siteAttendance
    1September 1, 1996at Denver BroncosL 631Mile High Stadium
    2September 8, 1996Indianapolis ColtsL 721The Meadowlands
    3September 15, 1996at Miami DolphinsL 2736Pro Player Stadium
    4September 22, 1996New York GiantsL 613The Meadowlands
    5September 29, 1996at Washington RedskinsL 1631Robert F. Kennedy Memorial Stadium
    6October 6, 1996Oakland RaidersL 1334The Meadowlands
    7October 13, 1996at Jacksonville JaguarsL 1721Alltel Stadium
    8October 20, 1996Buffalo BillsL 2225The Meadowlands
    9October 27, 1996at Arizona CardinalsW 3121Sun Devil Stadium
    10Bye
    11November 10, 1996New England PatriotsL 2731The Meadowlands
    12November 17, 1996at Indianapolis ColtsL 2934RCA Dome
    13November 24, 1996at Buffalo BillsL 1035Rich Stadium
    14December 1, 1996Houston OilersL 1035The Meadowlands
    15December 8, 1996at New England PatriotsL 1034Foxboro Stadium
    16December 14, 1996Philadelphia EaglesL 2021The Meadowlands
    17December 22, 1996Miami DolphinsL 2831The Meadowlands
    I remember these games - i can tell you a few things.

1September 1, 1996at Denver BroncosL 631Mile High Stadium
    Donnell - hit all game - finally Keyshawn first catch for 50 yard gain but game way out of view

2September 8, 1996Indianapolis ColtsL 721The Meadowlands Tight game that was stopped for lightening and rain. when game resumed jets driving and Kyle Brady fumbled away ball inside 10 yard line

4September 22, 1996New York GiantsL 613The Meadowlands very rainy cold day both teams couldn't move ball Giants had a TD pass from Brown

5September 29, 1996at Washington RedskinsL 1631 Jets actually had a TD clearly taken back. Keyshawn caught ball landed both feet in end zone defender hit him and he dropped ball - if it there instant replay the TD counts

6October 6, 1996Oakland RaidersL 1334The Meadowlands this game was all on Kotite - rookie Cb uggh

14December 1, 1996Houston OilersL 1035The Meadowlands I saw O'Donnel in the rain pull his calf - or supposedly pull his calf

1996Philadelphia EaglesL 2021The Meadowlands Chrebet had a decent game that day but story of the season - we don't win

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Richie the K lost his last seven games as the HC of the 1994 Eagles. He was fired. When Leon heard that he was fired, he fired up his private jet in the Bahamas and raced back to NY to get in touch with Richie the K and offer him the Jets HC job to replace Pete Carroll who he had fired. Richie the K then went on to extend his 0-7 closing record with the Eagles to a spectacularly awful 4-35 before he "stepped down but still remained a member of the Jet family"

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    C O A C H I N G

the next year Parcells had them at 9-7, and only a Horrible call by the refs in the end zone in game 16 vs the Lions kept them out of the playoffs.

I think the horrible call there was thinking Leon Johnson could throw a football.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks to Kotite, I purchased Directv and Sunday ticket. If not for that, I might have given up football. What was it 3 or 4 wins over 2 years. It was horrible, I almost gave up my tickets. I stopped going, first and only time ever. I turned to the NFL to save me, thank god for the ticket.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post
    and even then, the refs took care of their Pats.

On a fourth down pass in their own zone, the Pats hit Ben Coates in the flat and he rambled finally being brought down about a yard and a half short of the first down. It was a close game at that point and that stop could very well have meant a victory over Parcells and the Shats. The official comes running in, takes a look at the marker and spots the ball nearly two yards forward of the point Coates was tackled just far enough upfield for a Patriot first down. Stevie Wonder could see that the spot was incredibly bad and a gift to the Patriots, But, alas, there was no replay at that time so the Pats got their first down and proceeded to score the touchdown that gave them another in their long history of ***wins***.
    I remember at the end of that game, the Pats got a real good scare, and the rumors about Parcells to Jets started. Parcells went and shook the hands of a couple of Jets players, and I kept thinking to myself, hes probably telling them keep your chin up, help is on the way. That was a very exciting time as a Jets fan. You just knew big changes were coming with Parcells. I dont think ive ever been as optimistic as that offseason.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kennyo7 View Post
    I remember at the end of that game, the Pats got a real good scare, and the rumors about Parcells to Jets started. Parcells went and shook the hands of a couple of Jets players, and I kept thinking to myself, hes probably telling them keep your chin up, help is on the way. That was a very exciting time as a Jets fan. You just knew big changes were coming with Parcells. I dont think ive ever been as optimistic as that offseason.
    You're right, that was about the start of the rumors of Parcells wanting to leave the Pats, and the possibility of going to the Jets. The '96 Jets had 8-8 talent but since Kotite was such a bad coach, it didn't get noticed until Parcells got there.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Sec340 View Post
    Thanks to Kotite, I purchased Directv and Sunday ticket. If not for that, I might have given up football. What was it 3 or 4 wins over 2 years. It was horrible, I almost gave up my tickets. I stopped going, first and only time ever. I turned to the NFL to save me, thank god for the ticket.
    I had season tickets, and I remember that year when the Jets had a 4pm home game vs. the Oilers (the game O'Donnell hurt himself in warm-ups)...my brother and I were headed to the game and both turned to each other and said "why the hell are we going to this game?" He had a buddy in north NJ who happened to have Direct TV package, so we went there instead.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisjets23 View Post
    I had season tickets, and I remember that year when the Jets had a 4pm home game vs. the Oilers (the game O'Donnell hurt himself in warm-ups)...my brother and I were headed to the game and both turned to each other and said "why the hell are we going to this game?" He had a buddy in north NJ who happened to have Direct TV package, so we went there instead.
    I made that decision a dozen times from 1992 to 1995 when I moved....

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    the only good parts about attending ALL the home games of the Kotite Error

1) no traffic on the GW Bridge, I 95 and into the parking lots.

3) no tension and anxiety. You knew that Kotite would find a way to lose, the only question was what creative new ways he could come up with to do so

4) Towards the end, the gatherings got so small that you could leave Queens for a 1 PM start at 12:35 or so and, IF you were running late you could call the stadium and they would hold the kickoff until you got there

lots of laughs in retrospect and without Richie the K, there would have been NO Parcells and the relatively happy 16 years that followed

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisjets23 View Post
    You're right, that was about the start of the rumors of Parcells wanting to leave the Pats, and the possibility of going to the Jets. The '96 Jets had 8-8 talent but since Kotite was such a bad coach, it didn't get noticed until Parcells got there.
    To the point of my sig....

Coaching and management is the absolute difference between teams like US and the Steelers and Giants.

Over a 25 year period..luck has nothing to do with it.

I was excited about Woody.....now , not so sure anymore.

Idzik is however, a breath of fresh air.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Last edited by sg3; 07-02-2013 at 01:38 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    To underscore the difference in good vs bad coaching, here is what I immediately noticed different in the '97 Parcells Jets (virtually the identical Kotite team): Penalties -- or rather the lack thereof. The '96 squad, as has been pointed out, could find the most creative ways to blow games, even though they did have some talent. What they lacked was discipline, focus, and accountability for mistakes. That's on the coaches. I recall with monotonous regularity where a nice play would be made by a Jet in the '96 season and it would almost always be wiped out by a penalty - offense, defense, or specials - it didn't matter. Enter Parcells, and like magic a nice kickoff return wasn't being brought back with a flag. A first down rush wasn't negated by a hold, and the linemen weren't jumping offsides and false starting every other play. Amazing what that did to bring a 1-15 team to within a whisker of the playoffs the very next year.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    For some odd reason I have some Jets Russian Nesting dolls from that era. It has a big O'Donnell..a Glen Foley...Murrell..Victor Green...and a tiny Otis Smith. I have no idea why I have these things.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by dickkotite View Post
    I remember all them quiet, cold rides home back to long island. I was at every home game. It was sad......
    Kotite was a bad coach and the play calling was predictable. If I remember correctly, we would always sign big names guys, but when they were super old like art monk and leonard marshall. I also think they showed some good play at times, only to blow it all in the end. player for player......it wasnt that bad a team.

I remember trying to squeeze into the tunnel listening to kotites usual post game dribble, "they left it all on the fied today fellas..."
    What a dick kotite was...😎

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    It was my first year as a STH....no wins at home, and it rained a lot if I remember correctly....or at least it seemed as it did....

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by parkwayjet1 View Post
    To underscore the difference in good vs bad coaching, here is what I immediately noticed different in the '97 Parcells Jets (virtually the identical Kotite team): Penalties -- or rather the lack thereof. The '96 squad, as has been pointed out, could find the most creative ways to blow games, even though they did have some talent. What they lacked was discipline, focus, and accountability for mistakes. That's on the coaches. I recall with monotonous regularity where a nice play would be made by a Jet in the '96 season and it would almost always be wiped out by a penalty - offense, defense, or specials - it didn't matter. Enter Parcells, and like magic a nice kickoff return wasn't being brought back with a flag. A first down rush wasn't negated by a hold, and the linemen weren't jumping offsides and false starting every other play. Amazing what that did to bring a 1-15 team to within a whisker of the playoffs the very next year.

Good post. Even more to the point, read one of Parcells books. He had a 3 book deal and he wrote a LOT about his time with the JETS. When you read it....feels like he is talking to you.

Not sure if a rumor, but the year Landeta wiffed a punt against the Bears in the playoffs I heard he wouldn't let Landetta on the bus.

He tolerated nothing, expected the best, pushed his players. Contrast with REX....

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    C O A C H I N G

I was in Detroit for that game...You could clearly see the guys foot out of bounds, typical BS...we can never get a call