Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mike Holmgren believes Mark Sanchez will have “fine year” for Jets

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like

Mike Holmgren believes Mark Sanchez will have “fine year” for Jets

Give me a break...no chance

New York Jets quarterback Mark Sanchez is coming off arguably his worst season of his career.

Sanchez completed just 54-percent of his passes with just 13 touchdowns and 18 interceptions last season. Sanchez also fumbled 14 times with eight lost to the opposing team. While he has delivered two trips to the AFC Championship game, he’s far from lived up his Top 10 draft pick status in the 2009 NFL Draft.

Yet former Green Bay Packers and Seattle Seahawks head coach Mike Holmgren still sees some potential in the beleaguered Jets’ quarterback.

Holmgren joined the Dave “Softy” Mahler show on 950 KJR-AM in Seattle last week and discussed what he foresees from Sanchez this season.

“I think actually he’s going to have a fine year,” Holmgren said.

Jets offensive coordinator Marty Mornhinweg played quarterback for Holmgren in high school and later served as an assistant coach alongside Holmgren with the Green Bay Packers. Holmgren was high on Sanchez coming out of college at USC and he believes Mornhinweg be the guy that can get Sanchez to take advantage of his passing mechanics.

“I just liked his mechanics coming out of college. I really liked his mechanics,” Holmgren said. “He would be one of those guys – I know he’s taken a lot of flack and a lot of heat – but he would have been one of those guys if I was still coaching I would really like to coach.”

From the shadow of Tim Tebow, to the Butt Fumble and the video of Sanchez baring his backside last week, the past year will be one Sanchez will want to quickly put behind him. With some of the distractions no longer in place, Holmgren thinks Sanchez can produce for the Jets.

“(Last year) was like the perfect storm. I just think he’s a better player than that,” Holmgren.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...year-for-jets/

http://www.sportsradiokjr.com/cc-com...7758_25507.mp3

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    This is why some are made to coach, others to be GMs.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    I hope he's right, but I'd bet that he's wrong.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wonder if he'd trade a bacon cheeseburger for Sanchez.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by McGinley View Post
    Wonder if he'd trade a bacon cheeseburger for Sanchez.
    A bacon cheeseburger is way to valuable because unlike Sanchez it always hits the spot, so no.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    We are saved.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    This is actually what I'm afraid of. For Sanchez to have somewhat of a bounce back year, looks a little promising and puts up decent numbers. I'd much rather him totally sh!t the bed or completely turn it around and become a Pro Bowler. Him going middle of the road just potentially brings him back here and could inhibit the franchise from moving forward.

If he wants to pull a Drew Brees-like resurrection, I'm all for it. Absent that, just keep throwing the ball to the other team and lets move on to Geno.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Part of me thinks this is Holmgren throwing support behind Morniwheg more so than complimenting Sanchez.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    This is actually what I'm afraid of. For Sanchez to have somewhat of a bounce back year, looks a little promising and puts up decent numbers. I'd much rather him totally sh!t the bed or completely turn it around and become a Pro Bowler. Him going middle of the road just potentially brings him back here and could inhibit the franchise from moving forward.

If he wants to pull a Drew Brees-like resurrection, I'm all for it. Absent that, just keep throwing the ball to the other team and lets move on to Geno.
    disagree.

I think the Jets keep Sanchez if and only if he has a Brees-like resurrection. anything short of a Pro Bowl-caliber season and Sanchez is gone, either cut or via trade.

if Sanchez has an average season, I'm sure some team out there will trade for him on the premise that he's "salvageable" with a change of scenery.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenWave View Post
    Part of me thinks this is Holmgren throwing support behind Morniwheg more so than complimenting Sanchez.
    That's how I read it too, but I don't doubt that MH thought that Sanchez would be a good pro based on his college tape.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Maybe Mike wants the HC job here next year?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    This is holmgren the "cleveland years" talking.

The holmgren "packers years" would have cut this turd already.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    He needs to be way above average. Not top 5, but he has to be very productive or he will be a journeyman.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mark Sanchez having an average/above average season would set this franchise back at least another 3 years. Sounds douchey, but we need Mark to fail or not start in order succeed in the upcoming years.

He is not part of the Idzik plan, and cant see that changing.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenWave View Post
    Bingo, Holmgren & Mornhinweg have a long history and he's boosting his
    former assistant's skills as a QB developer. We can only hope he's right

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Holmgren is nothing but another Sanchez apologist!!!

Why what the hell does this man really know about offense and QB play in the NFL?!!! Nothing right!!! He can't see Sanchez in accuracy problems? He lauds Sanchez mechanics when he came out of college but many on this board have said Sanchez has no mechanics!!! And well their opinion on butt fumble boy is good enough for me.

I for one am sick and tired of these championship winning HCs who have developed Outdtanding QBs in the past running to the defense of Sanchez when they obviously don't have a clue of how to win and develop QB play in the NFL!!!

It is simple Holmgrem sucks!!!

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Dear Peanuts

Please watch the 32 games played in the last two seasons of NY Jets football. They are on NFL Rewind if you need it. After this exercise in torture, hopefully you too will stop apologizing for the worst QB in the NFL and be able to move on into the future

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    The WCO requires the QB to throw with precision and accuracy after making quick reads of the defense, three qualities that Sanchez is deficient in. I'm not expecting a career resurrection here.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtstar View Post
    disagree.

I think the Jets keep Sanchez if and only if he has a Brees-like resurrection. anything short of a Pro Bowl-caliber season and Sanchez is gone, either cut or via trade.

if Sanchez has an average season, I'm sure some team out there will trade for him on the premise that he's "salvageable" with a change of scenery.
    I think that's probably right. But, it certainly muddies the waters a bit. We still will be faced with having to start afresh with an untested QB. THere will be the argument out there that "Sanchez is still relatively young and improving....give him some weapons and some time and he can be effective." Sure we've heard before and have said that "this is the final time" but lines always get re-drawn. Even by well meaning people.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post
    Dear Peanuts

Please watch the 32 games played in the last two seasons of NY Jets football. They are on NFL Rewind if you need it. After this exercise in torture, hopefully you too will stop apologizing for the worst QB in the NFL and be able to move on into the future
    Hmmm you mad bro!!!

I already took Holmgrem to task for you what you bellyaching about now???