Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Mike Holmgren believes Mark Sanchez will have “fine year” for Jets

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by GreenWave View Post
    I think this is Holmgren throwing support behind Morniwheg more so than complimenting Sanchez.
    + 3

... regarding the cheeseburger ... is the bacon crispy?

I think he is going to do better than people think which is a good thing because then we might be able to hoodwink a team into trading for him after this year.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by nyahay bus View Post
    The WCO requires the QB to throw with precision and accuracy after making quick reads of the defense, three qualities that Sanchez is deficient in. I'm not expecting a career resurrection here.
    While this is true, the WCO features a lot of quick slants and 3 step drops, something that Sanchez is actually decent at. If you remember, the slant was basically the only throw he could hit his rookie reason. I think that this offense gives him the best chance to succeed, not saying he will by any long stretch of the matter though.

He's going to be the starter week 1, whether the fans like it or not.

wasnt holmgren the GM for cleveland when we traded up for cantchez? i could be wrong, but i could swear he was. to which if he was GM, why didnt he take him...not like we gave up a lot for the pick

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Quote Originally Posted by lauderdale jet View Post
    wasnt holmgren the GM for cleveland when we traded up for cantchez? i could be wrong, but i could swear he was. to which if he was GM, why didnt he take him...not like we gave up a lot for the pick
    he wasn't. That was Mangini's first year - it was George Kokinakaiskiskis (sp?)

Bewildered Beast
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Brown View Post
    Holmgren is nothing but another Sanchez apologist!!!

Why what the hell does this man really know about offense and QB play in the NFL?!!! Nothing right!!! He can't see Sanchez in accuracy problems? He lauds Sanchez mechanics when he came out of college but many on this board have said Sanchez has no mechanics!!! And well their opinion on butt fumble boy is good enough for me.

I for one am sick and tired of these championship winning HCs who have developed Outdtanding QBs in the past running to the defense of Sanchez when they obviously don't have a clue of how to win and develop QB play in the NFL!!!

It is simple Holmgrem sucks!!!
    Excellent satire of the mopes that know-it-all, Chuck. Stay Strong.

Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post
    Dear Peanuts

Please watch the 32 games played in the last two seasons of NY Jets football. They are on NFL Rewind if you need it. After this exercise in torture, hopefully you too will stop apologizing for the worst QB in the NFL and be able to move on into the future
    Stop. Pause. Breathe. Re-read.

Works everytime.

Bewildered Beast
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    I think he is going to do better than people think which is a good thing because then we might be able to hoodwink a team into trading for him after this year.
    Silver Lining Playbook

Actually, if things work out Hollywood-style, the Jets D will give Snachez short fields; the OC can do a lot with the WCO in that situation, WITHOUT risking much. I like it much better than the old downhill running attack.

How obvious is it that Sparano had a negative effect on #6?
    Last edited by WestCoastOffensive; 07-02-2013 at 01:38 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by WestCoastOffensive View Post
    Excellent satire of the mopes that know-it-all, Chuck. Stay Strong.

Stop. Pause. Breathe. Re-read.

Works everytime.
    Thank you.... I just couldn't help myself.....

Honestly though we are all just fans and everyone is entitled to their own opinions. To disagree with someone doesn't make them or you the anti-christ or even worse a bad fan

I want us all to have fun again... Lets Go Jets!!

Jets Insider VIP
    I for one hope that you are right.

I have been a big advocate of what I felt that the Jets didnt do with Sanchez. With all that being said the man at times has often shown he has straw for brains. He just doesnt get "it" and he is responsible for his own miscues on the field.

At this point and time if we can get anything for Sanchez it would be great and obviously if Sanchez were to turn into Montanna we would keep him but no one believes this even Sanchez himself....
    Last edited by Charlie Brown; 07-02-2013 at 03:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    I think that's probably right. But, it certainly muddies the waters a bit. We still will be faced with having to start afresh with an untested QB. THere will be the argument out there that "Sanchez is still relatively young and improving....give him some weapons and some time and he can be effective." Sure we've heard before and have said that "this is the final time" but lines always get re-drawn. Even by well meaning people.

definitely a valid concern. but, IMHO, we avoid that situation because Idzik has no loyalty/liability when it comes to Sanchez.

Fully agree in theory. But, if Sanchez plays well enough to be traded, it's an automatic indication that his play improved under MM after two years of deterioration under (what we believe was) bad coaching.

Sanchez playing well enough to be trade bait almost certainly means that he had his best year since 2010 despite having far less to work with on the offensive side. It also would probably mean we didn't see much (if any) of Geno.

Do you still trade him then?

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

Nothing like message board posters calling out someone with a resume like Mike Holmgren

All Pro
    Geno has way more upside than Sanchez. Physically he's better in every way. If Sanchez plays well, he will never be as good as Geno if he plays well. I believe it is quite possible if Marty designs the offense around his strengths, and our running game is as good as I think it will be, that Sanchez will play well. It's a matter of confidence. If Sanchez can get his confidence back, Marty can make him look good, buit no better than good. If Geno learns the offense, and improves his footwork he could still overtake Sanchez. Best case scenario is a Smith/Kaepernick situation. Maybe it won't be until next year, but Sanchez is not the long term QB unless, as was previously mentioned, there's some kind of miraculous transformation. For one thing, he makes too much money. If Geno doesn't overtake Mark by the end of the year, Idzik will trade Sanchez. Draft another QB. Sign another veteran, and try again. Stop worrying about Sanchez looking good. Idzik is not Tanny...I mean stupid. He knows what you know. He won't settle for an average QB.

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzsaw View Post
    Nothing like message board posters calling out someone with a resume like Mike Holmgren
    For every ex coach ex player ex gm that is correct there are ones that you can point to as being 100% incorrect. I would guess the non Holmgrens of the world have seen more of Sanchez the past few years than holmgren. Also QB gurus much like oline gurus think they can make any player tremendous. They are often wrong. Rex was going to make Gholston into a terror remember?

Notice how Holmgrem only talks about Mark's mechanics not his decision making. What is Marty's working most with Mark on , learning how to throw the ball away. This is a mental task not physical one. His inability to read defenses and make line adjustments and set protections. Again another mental task and nothing to do with mechanics. There never has been anything wrong with Mark's arm it's what's between his ears that have always been his main stumbling block.
    Last edited by fltflo; 07-02-2013 at 04:33 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzsaw View Post
    My feelings exactly!!!

This is actually what I'm afraid of. For Sanchez to have somewhat of a bounce back year, looks a little promising and puts up decent numbers. I'd much rather him totally sh!t the bed or completely turn it around and become a Pro Bowler. Him going middle of the road just potentially brings him back here and could inhibit the franchise from moving forward.

If he wants to pull a Drew Brees-like resurrection, I'm all for it. Absent that, just keep throwing the ball to the other team and lets move on to Geno.
    I don't understand how any fan would want a player on the Jets to be unsuccessful. If he bounces back, that's always a good. At the very least, we get higher trade value.

That attitude is like when teams try to tank a season to get a higher draft pick. That doesn't work. Look at Detroit. They have more top picks than anyone....and they still suck.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by fltflo View Post
    Notice how Holmgrem only talks about Mark's mechanics not his decision making. What is Marty's working most with Mark on , learning how to throw the ball away. This is a mental task not physical one. His inability to read defenses and make line adjustments and set protections. Again another mental task and nothing to do with mechanics. There never has been anything wrong with Mark's arm it's what's between his ears that have always been his main stumbling block.

DOnt be shocked 1 bit to hear how

" Marks mechanics are better"," hes staying late to study film like no other", "MM has turned him into a new comfort zone", "Mark is making all the throws", and my personal favorite "Mark gives us the best chance to win NOW"

DOnt be fooled, the proof is in the pudding, and Marks pudding in not edible.

This is actually what I'm afraid of. For Sanchez to have somewhat of a bounce back year, looks a little promising and puts up decent numbers. I'd much rather him totally sh!t the bed or completely turn it around and become a Pro Bowler. Him going middle of the road just potentially brings him back here and could inhibit the franchise from moving forward.

If he wants to pull a Drew Brees-like resurrection, I'm all for it. Absent that, just keep throwing the ball to the other team and lets move on to Geno.
    Absolutely ridiculous.
    Last edited by SRQman87; 07-02-2013 at 05:30 PM.

Some of you guys are paranoid about Sanchez returning next year. Why would idzik extend Sanchez based on average production? Especially when he has no ties to Sanchez and already drafted his heir apparent in the second round?

Unless Sanchez has a compete 180 turnaround, idzik has nothing to gain and everything to lose from keeping Sanchez around. And even if Sanchez did put up pro bowl numbers, I think it's much more likely they trade Sanchez in the offseason at peak value than keep him around.
    Last edited by SRQman87; 07-02-2013 at 05:31 PM.