Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: School Debt: Why Should I Feel For This Couple on CNN?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by parafly View Post
    Agree to disagree.

This story is indeed a "horror story," mostly of the doing of the two women being covered. I agree that this is advocacy journalism, but I wouldn't automatically jump to the conclusion that CNN is sympathizing with the two women and blaming everyone/everything else. They could just as easily be highlighting bad decision making and poor choices being made by today's students, a major epidemic in my opinion.

We don't know because they didn't actually state a position. Your preconceived judgments of the source are clouding your objectivity.

The line "I just got caught up in the whirlwind of borrowing" seems to take on some level of personal responsibility.

Let's be honest here. There are two sides at fault in this entire mess. The government for giving out extremely large loans so liberally, and the students for not taking on the responsibility and consequences for their own actions.
    I think there are good arguments for placing a cap on loan indebtedness. Let's say $15K per year of higher education. That's $105K max to go undergrad and law school for example. Once a cap is in place, schools should be forced to bring costs down or offer alternative resources to students to stay in business. Not saying this is perfect, but it would be a lot better than what we have now.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by long island leprechaun View Post
    I think there are good arguments for placing a cap on loan indebtedness. Let's say $15K per year of higher education. That's $105K max to go undergrad and law school for example. Once a cap is in place, schools should be forced to bring costs down or offer alternative resources to students to stay in business. Not saying this is perfect, but it would be a lot better than what we have now.
    I agree with that. 15K per year as a cap for undergrad or as was pointed out... the average of a public school in that area.

I couldn't imagine having debt of over say 60K for a degree unless it was for law, medicine etc.

Even accounting from a top school, these kids are getting jobs for 80K right out of college , I still would never borrow that much.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by parafly View Post
    Agree to disagree.

This story is indeed a "horror story," mostly of the doing of the two women being covered. I agree that this is advocacy journalism, but I wouldn't automatically jump to the conclusion that CNN is sympathizing with the two women and blaming everyone/everything else. They could just as easily be highlighting bad decision making and poor choices being made by today's students, a major epidemic in my opinion.

We don't know because they didn't actually state a position. Your preconceived judgments of the source are clouding your objectivity.

The line "I just got caught up in the whirlwind of borrowing" seems to take on some level of personal responsibility.

Let's be honest here. There are two sides at fault in this entire mess. The government for giving out extremely large loans so liberally, and the students for not taking on the responsibility and consequences for their own actions.
    Actually, that was part of a series of 5 such stories. The fifth - the conclusion - was a kid who turned down an Ivy League school for a SUNY to avoid loans, and is quite happy about it today.

If anything, the message of the series is "think about what you're doing and how it will impact you down the road"