Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: School Debt: Why Should I Feel For This Couple on CNN?

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

School Debt: Why Should I Feel For This Couple on CNN?

Student loan horror stories

Big decisions made in college about student loans continue to haunt these graduates

This couple owes $380,000

Name: Lisa and Heather Harden-Stone

School: Brooks Institute and Dowling College - 2010, 2011

Student loan balance: $380,000 combined

The Harden-Stones don't believe they will ever earn enough to pay off their student loans.

Heather (on the right) got her masters degree from Delphi University in environmental studies in 2010 after an undergraduate degree in anthropology from a private college in New York. She works as an environmental scientist and still owes $80,000 for her entire college education.

"I really had no idea of the true cost of college. I just signed what I needed to sign and had no idea how much in loans I was taking out," she said.

Lisa, left, racked up most of her $300,000 in loan debt from going to Brooks Institute, a top school for photography in California. Upon graduation, she discovered she'd never make enough money from photography to pay her loans. So, she got her MBA in marketing from Western International University and recently got a full-time marketing job.

"I just got caught up in the whirlwind of borrowing and borrowing and borrowing just so I could graduate," she said.
    Majored in taking pictures (lol) and in anthropology (lol) and then mastered in "environmental studies" (doublelol).

They made these choices.

Why on Earth should we feel bad for them for having done so? There is no excuses here, these are the types of majors chosen by privliged white girls raised in the lap of luxury their entire lives......so now that they belated realize that going to an uber-expensive snob-school for picture taking MIGHT just not be profitable....it's somehow "oh, we're victims of a broken system"?

wtf.

The flogging on this by CNN is enraging. No sense of any personal responsabillity fo any kind, and a VERY thin purpose of "society shoukld pay for their debt" advocacy journalism.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Couldn't agree more. Where are the checks on such borrowing? The school, the parents? The government? there should be some brakes on this type of thing, regardless of major. I know somebody that went to law school after a poly sci major at a good college... $180K in debt. And even with law degree not easy paying off... like buying a condemned house you'll never live in...

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Churchill View Post
    Why Should I Feel For This Couple on CNN?
    Who says you should?

Hall Of Fame
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Post Thanks / Like
    They saved thousands on birth control, makeup too.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
    Who says you should?

Whoever wrote "student loan horror stories".....

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by brady's a catcher View Post
    Whoever wrote "student loan horror stories".....
    It is a horror story...for them.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm failing to see where CNN is taking any type of position on this story. I'm also failing to see where the two graduates say "this isn't our fault."

Can you say fake outrage?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Those evil capitalist predatory lending banks. How dare they let her chase her pipe dreams.

If only they were lipstick lesbos...

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Majored in taking pictures (lol) and in anthropology (lol) and then mastered in "environmental studies" (doublelol).

They made these choices.

Why on Earth should we feel bad for them for having done so? There is no excuses here, these are the types of majors chosen by privliged white girls raised in the lap of luxury their entire lives......so now that they belated realize that going to an uber-expensive snob-school for picture taking MIGHT just not be profitable....it's somehow "oh, we're victims of a broken system"?

wtf.

The flogging on this by CNN is enraging. No sense of any personal responsabillity fo any kind, and a VERY thin purpose of "society shoukld pay for their debt" advocacy journalism.

This is exactly my point. These girls went into almost half a million in debt for basically advanced high school. BOTH colleges lack the proper high level accreditation. Note Dowlings is from "The middle states" bla bla bla, Brooks is basically photo school.

Well girls.... photo this!

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Those evil capitalist predatory lending banks. How dare they let her chase her pipe dreams.

I'd consider hitting it......

Hall Of Fame
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    I'd consider hitting it......
    I'd have to see their toenails first.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Get ready to see a ton more "horror stories" like this. It's the media ginning up the issue so the dems and/or the next dem presidential candidate can swoop in and promise a solution to "forgive" the loans -- "if only I/we get elected" -- buying more votes with taxpayer dollars.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    They both seem kinda dumb, no sympathy from me.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    The last time I checked the Federal Govt has taken over the student loan program. Just like every thing the govt. touches it FCKS up. Housing now the student loans. Government both state and federal pouring billions of dollars into colleges and runaway greed in the colleges and this is what you get. Best yet who runs the colleges. ?

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MnJetFan View Post
    The last time I checked the Federal Govt has taken over the student loan program. Just like every thing the govt. touches it FCKS up. Housing now the student loans. Government both state and federal pouring billions of dollars into colleges and runaway greed in the colleges and this is what you get. Best yet who runs the colleges. ?
    yep....

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post

...they could make big bucks doing lez p0rno? POSSIBLY.

Their choice of majors: ridiculous.

Maybe CNN should investigate college costs, not loans. THAT would be an eye-opener.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Post Thanks / Like

They made these choices.

wtf.

Agreed.

It is a horror story...for them.
    You dont pay taxes? You think these twits will ever pay off even a fraction of what they owe? Especially now that they have been officially been branded as victims by the media?

Now multiply these dimwits by millions...we all pay.

-

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 32green View Post
    You think these twits will ever pay off even a fraction of what they owe?
    -
    What makes you thinkthey won't?

Cus their nitwits?

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    What makes you thinkthey won't?

Cus their nitwits?
    Their choice of majors and costs incurred to obtain them at least points to:

A. Poor Judgement
    B. Poor Financial Planning

Both could certainly be fixed with time and experience, sure.

To answer Para earlier, the very nature of covering/publicizing this couples "woes" is advocacy journalism. If CNN were not taking a side, they'd have no reason to cover what is rather mundane bad decision making, nor to describe it in hysterical tones such as "Student Loan Horror Stories". Reality is this is "Bad Decision Making Horror Stories" more than anything else, the loan is secondary to the exceptionally poor choices these women made in their choice of school and major. And if they weren't blaming someone other than themselves for this, A. they wouldn't be allowing it to be covered id advocacy journalism by CNN, and B. they'd SAY it was their own fault in the piece specificly.

I'd also agree with an earlier comment.....we should be looking at School Cost for THIS:

Lisa, left, racked up most of her $300,000 in loan debt from going to Brooks Institute, a top school for photography in California.
    Not the loan. The rationale and legitimacy for why a 4 year degree in picture taking costs $300,000 dollars. Thats a ****ing HOUSE worth of costs. For a degree is taking pictures, a field where fewer people make it as a success than make the NFL.

We ***** when a gallon of gasoline cost goes from $3.50 to $3.75, but apparently it's ok that a school charges $300,000 for a degree in "proper Nikon CoolPix 3000 use"???
    Last edited by Churchill; 07-03-2013 at 09:43 AM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    To answer Para earlier, the very nature of covering/publicizing this couples "woes" is advocacy journalism. If CNN were not taking a side, they'd have no reason to cover what is rather mundane bad decision making, nor to describe it in hysterical tones such as "Student Loan Horror Stories". Reality is this is "Bad Decision Making Horror Stories" more than anything else, the loan is secondary to the exceptionally poor choices these women made in their choice of school and major. And if they weren't blaming someone other than themselves for this, A. they wouldn't be allowing it to be covered id advocacy journalism by CNN, and B. they'd SAY it was their own fault in the piece specificly.
    Agree to disagree.

This story is indeed a "horror story," mostly of the doing of the two women being covered. I agree that this is advocacy journalism, but I wouldn't automatically jump to the conclusion that CNN is sympathizing with the two women and blaming everyone/everything else. They could just as easily be highlighting bad decision making and poor choices being made by today's students, a major epidemic in my opinion.

We don't know because they didn't actually state a position. Your preconceived judgments of the source are clouding your objectivity.

The line "I just got caught up in the whirlwind of borrowing" seems to take on some level of personal responsibility.

Let's be honest here. There are two sides at fault in this entire mess. The government for giving out extremely large loans so liberally, and the students for not taking on the responsibility and consequences for their own actions.