Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 30

Thread: Jaguars showing redzone channel in stadium, hope jets follow

  1. #1

    Jaguars showing redzone channel in stadium, hope jets follow


  2. #2
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    20,136
    Everything stadiums have done in recent years has served to take the fan's focus away from the actual game. It is why most of the stadiums have turned into libraries. People are either at the shops, eating in the restaurants walking around. Its not just football that this has happened to either.

    I can see why the Jags would do it. They probably have the worst attendance in the league so they just want to get people in the stadium any way they can. But we don't need these gimmicks. Put a quality product on the field and let the fans focus on that.

    /rant

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Everything stadiums have done in recent years has served to take the fan's focus away from the actual game. It is why most of the stadiums have turned into libraries. People are either at the shops, eating in the restaurants walking around. Its not just football that this has happened to either.

    I can see why the Jags would do it. They probably have the worst attendance in the league so they just want to get people in the stadium any way they can. But we don't need these gimmicks. Put a quality product on the field and let the fans focus on that.

    /rant
    Doesn't everyone want to see Mark Sanchez throw interceptions in the red zone?

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Everything stadiums have done in recent years has served to take the fan's focus away from the actual game. It is why most of the stadiums have turned into libraries. People are either at the shops, eating in the restaurants walking around. Its not just football that this has happened to either.

    I can see why the Jags would do it. They probably have the worst attendance in the league so they just want to get people in the stadium any way they can. But we don't need these gimmicks. Put a quality product on the field and let the fans focus on that.

    /rant
    The article doesn't make it clear, but I had assumed they would show RedZone before or after game and maybe during TV timeouts, not actually during the game. If it's during the actual game, that's idiotic.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Everything stadiums have done in recent years has served to take the fan's focus away from the actual game. It is why most of the stadiums have turned into libraries. People are either at the shops, eating in the restaurants walking around. Its not just football that this has happened to either.

    I can see why the Jags would do it. They probably have the worst attendance in the league so they just want to get people in the stadium any way they can. But we don't need these gimmicks. Put a quality product on the field and let the fans focus on that.

    /rant
    what the difference if the teams do these type of things that you call gimmicks. i go to all the games, and most people are on the phone making bets, or on the phone making changes to fantasy stuff or looking for the stats anyway. most people arent into the games like years ago. its a different era.

  6. #6
    Fantasy football has had an astounding impact on the sport, it's popularity and how games and peripheral content are consumed.

    I think this has potential to be pretty cool. Not convinced it should be on jumbo-tron, but maybe satellite screens.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Everything stadiums have done in recent years has served to take the fan's focus away from the actual game. It is why most of the stadiums have turned into libraries. People are either at the shops, eating in the restaurants walking around. Its not just football that this has happened to either.

    I can see why the Jags would do it. They probably have the worst attendance in the league so they just want to get people in the stadium any way they can. But we don't need these gimmicks. Put a quality product on the field and let the fans focus on that.

    /rant
    You are over-simplifying it. Every live sporting even has crap that they flash up on the big screen. At least in this case it is real-time highlights from around the league, rather than out-dated clips from old games and advertising.

    Most fans, nowadays, want a full view around the league on Sundays. You lose it when you go to a game on Sundays, you have it when you are at home watching the TV with your smartphone or tablet next to you. There's a mountain of usage data that supports the premise that fans want to watch their team, while keeping an eye on the rest of the league too. You have to remember, all the game happen in 3 time slots on Sundays. There's so much game content and action there to consume, but in the past you only could see what you tuned into. Technology allows us to see way more than we used to be able to... and it's what many of us have gotten used to.
    Last edited by John McClane; 07-03-2013 at 10:38 AM.

  8. #8
    Putting RedZone on the screens and jumbotron during periods of stopped play is something that should have happened last yr.

    Tell me one fan at home who, during the jets game, doesn't go to the RedZone channel during breaks in the action (provided they have access to the RedZone channel). Same dynamics apply here. It's not a gimmick that takes away from the game being played on the field.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Everything stadiums have done in recent years has served to take the fan's focus away from the actual game. It is why most of the stadiums have turned into libraries. People are either at the shops, eating in the restaurants walking around. Its not just football that this has happened to either.

    I can see why the Jags would do it. They probably have the worst attendance in the league so they just want to get people in the stadium any way they can. But we don't need these gimmicks. Put a quality product on the field and let the fans focus on that.

    /rant
    Times have changed. Plenty of fans if given the choice to travel to a football game, sit in crappy weather, deal with traffic, expensive food/beer would rather sit home watch the Jets play on a 60inch HDTV and flip back and forth with the redzone channel which is like Cocaine, only more addicting.

  10. #10
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    20,136
    I agree, it is a different era.

    Maybe I am old-fashioned but when I am at the game I don't care about the other scores. I might look at a board during a timeout or half time to see what is going on but that is about it.


  11. #11
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    20,136
    Quote Originally Posted by revischrist View Post
    Times have changed. Plenty of fans if given the choice to travel to a football game, sit in crappy weather, deal with traffic, expensive food/beer would rather sit home watch the Jets play on a 60inch HDTV and flip back and forth with the redzone channel which is like Cocaine, only more addicting.
    I completely agree. They are competing with the HDTVs and instant replays from 100 different angles. Why sit in traffic for hours, go for lungs on tickets, parking, gas, food, etc and have to wait on lines to go to the bathroom. The only reason why someone does that is b.c they are a fan or fanatic.

    Maybe they should just stop trying to compete and lower the price of the tickets and try to attract more simple fans back to the stadiums. The stadiums and the crowds have gotten too sophisticated IMO.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Maybe they should just stop trying to compete and lower the price of the tickets and try to attract more simple fans back to the stadiums. The stadiums and the crowds have gotten too sophisticated IMO.
    This is the only point that supersedes adding any sort of entertainment value to stadiums. If they really wanted to attract fans, just lower the cost of attendance.

    Outside that, if you're going to charge me that much each week to sit in traffic, sit in non-ideal weather conditions without access to great views/camera angles/replays, not have quality vegetarian options at an affordable rate, and take away my ability to get drunk due to an impending drive home, then you better add any and all entertainment related to football; including RedZone channel, Fantasy Football stats, updates, and highlights.

    If wanting all of that makes [you] (the critic, not you specifically DDNY) think of [me] (the person in favor of these additions) as less of a Jets fan for it, then so be it. I, as well as most others who follow the Jets as I do, know what types of fanatics we are.

  13. #13
    As an out-of-state fan, it wouldn't affect me if they did or didn't. But, if it did, I'd definitely want the rz in the stadium. For avid fantasy players like myself, being able to check out the performances of your guys all across the league is great. For fans like myself, Fantasy adds another level of excitement/anxiety to the week. So, stadiums catering to that is a good thing.

    Anyone against this needs to just get with the times and deal with it.

  14. #14
    Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Manalapan, NJ/Boca Raton, Fl
    Posts
    15,569
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdanNJ View Post
    what the difference if the teams do these type of things that you call gimmicks. i go to all the games, and most people are on the phone making bets, or on the phone making changes to fantasy stuff or looking for the stats anyway. most people arent into the games like years ago. its a different era.
    If you need to know what your fantasy team is doing at that moment stay home. Because in the first week of the season, you or someone else who thinks this is a cool idea will whine that the new stadium is quiet. While the fantasy geeks are missing what is going on on the field while watching their players on a screen

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    I agree, it is a different era.

    Maybe I am old-fashioned but when I am at the game I don't care about the other scores. I might look at a board during a timeout or half time to see what is going on but that is about it.

    Corporations, successful ones, make expensive decisions that are backed up by data and research.

    The data says you are in the minority... no offense, but nobody cares about what you like.

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Nut View Post
    If you need to know what your fantasy team is doing at that moment stay home. Because in the first week of the season, you or someone else who thinks this is a cool idea will whine that the new stadium is quiet. While the fantasy geeks are missing what is going on on the field while watching their players on a screen
    Gimme a break. Do you know what kind of research is out there demonstrating we live in an era where people split their attention between multiple screens?

    Last time I looked at the numbers, it was something like 90% of all smartphone owners use their devices while watching TV. People, maybe not you, can handle watching the game and the jumbotron at teh same time.

    It's not like all the crazy crap that's been played on the jumbotron since it's inception has been a detriment to the live game experience... where was the outrage then, when they started showing "kiss cam" or "fans dancing" on the jumbotron? How could people possibly pay attention to the plays on the field, when the jumbotron is showing the cheerleaders? Or the league stats leaders? Or advertisments?







    Did you know that the average football game only has about 11 minutes worth of actual live action? Here: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...055561406.html

    The rest is just standing around.

    Playing the big plays around the league on the jumbo is a brilliant idea.

  17. #17
    I think the redzone channel is one of the best additions to sports television WHEN the jets arent playing.

    To put it on during a home game is doing to absolutely kill the crowd. Timeouts it would be great and halftime it would be awesome, but during the game defeats the purpose of being at the game

    Terrible idea if its all game long.

  18. #18
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Posts
    17,065
    God I hope not half the stadium has their thumb up their ass as it is already.

  19. #19
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    LEt it go, LET IT GO: The cold never bothered me anyway
    Posts
    8,837
    Quote Originally Posted by John McClane View Post
    Gimme a break. Do you know what kind of research is out there demonstrating we live in an era where people split their attention between multiple screens?

    Last time I looked at the numbers, it was something like 90% of all smartphone owners use their devices while watching TV. People, maybe not you, can handle watching the game and the jumbotron at teh same time.

    It's not like all the crazy crap that's been played on the jumbotron since it's inception has been a detriment to the live game experience... where was the outrage then, when they started showing "kiss cam" or "fans dancing" on the jumbotron? How could people possibly pay attention to the plays on the field, when the jumbotron is showing the cheerleaders? Or the league stats leaders? Or advertisments?







    Did you know that the average football game only has about 11 minutes worth of actual live action? Here: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...055561406.html

    The rest is just standing around.

    Playing the big plays around the league on the jumbo is a brilliant idea.
    ADD is also on the upswing. COincidence? I think not.

  20. #20
    Bewildered Beast
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    SF via Strong Island
    Posts
    30,752
    Quote Originally Posted by Apache 51 View Post
    God I hope not half the stadium has their thumb up their ass as it is already.
    Is that a .50 cal?

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us