Thread: The only stat that matters

The only stat that matters

This was brought up in a different thread but even for a preseaon game, yesterday was the EXACT problem we will continue to have as a team if we stick with Sanchez.

Total yards: 329 vs 322

Passing first downs: 12 vs 12

Completions: 27- 39 NYJ vs 22-39 DET

Sacks: 3 for NYJ vs 2 for DET

Final Score: 26-17

Not only does our QB turn it over way to much but he does so in game altering fashion. Starting down 7-0 last night was the difference in a game that was otherwise played to a draw and that will continue to be the case if we keep him at QB. Every single game will be a toss up, no matter how well our defense or special teams play - because Sanchez never wins games for us, he either completely costs us the game or manages to not screw it up just enough.

I want everyone to take an objective look at these stat lines:

12-15 182 yards 1 TD and 0 INT Bengals

12-23 100 yards 1 TD and 1 INT Chargers

18-31 189 yards 0 TD and 1 INT Colts

16-25 194 yards 3 TD and 0 INT Pats

Those are the 4 stat lines from Sanchez's playoff wins that he has been riding for so long - is that a player that carried the team? Aside from NE he didnt even manage the game in the other wins, he simply took handoffs and got out of the way. I want his supporters to honestly look at those lines, which are considered his best performances, and explain how after what he has put on tape the last 2 years, how we can expect him to be a good QB in 2013?

100 yards passing vs the chargers????? We as a fan base should give him credit for that playoff win? 0 TD performance in Indy and we should let him QB this franchise because he "beat manning and brady back to back"?

I have no idea what Geno can or cant do, but I honestly dont see what Mark Sanchez brings to a football team as the starting QB. His best drive last night should have been stalled after another near pick to Winslow and was successful after 2 plays (Kerley and Cumberland) that were far from great. We are at the point with him as a fan base that he gets credit for "playing well" last night when in fact he had 1 above average drive coupled with a game-altering turnover yet again.

Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    This was brought up in a different thread but even for a preseaon game, yesterday was the EXACT problem we will continue to have as a team if we stick with Sanchez.

Not only does our QB turn it over way to much but he does so in game altering fashion. Starting down 7-0 last night was the difference in a game that was otherwise played to a draw and that will continue to be the case if we keep him at QB. Every single game will be a toss up, no matter how well our defense or special teams play - because Sanchez never wins games for us, he either completely costs us the game or manages to not screw it up just enough.

Those are the 4 stat lines from Sanchez's playoff wins that he has been riding for so long - is that a player that carried the team? Aside from NE he didnt even manage the game in the other wins, he simply took handoffs and got out of the way. I want his supporters to honestly look at those lines, which are considered his best performances, and explain how after what he has put on tape the last 2 years, how we can expect him to be a good QB in 2013?

100 yards passing vs the chargers????? We as a fan base should give him credit for that playoff win? 0 TD performance in Indy and we should let him QB this franchise because he "beat manning and brady back to back"?

I have no idea what Geno can or cant do, but I honestly dont see what Mark Sanchez brings to a football team as the starting QB. His best drive last night should have been stalled after another near pick to Winslow and was successful after 2 plays (Kerley and Cumberland) that were far from great. We are at the point with him as a fan base that he gets credit for "playing well" last night when in fact he had 1 above average drive coupled with a game-altering turnover yet again.
    Eagle....don't have stats in front of me, but I bet Sanchez's best playoff numbers have to be the Steelers game. But your point is well taken.

Jets Insider VIP

Agreed. If Geno can't play let's see what we have in McElroy. I am sick of Sanchez and Wrecks our near head coach!

Great post. Can't keep spotting the other team points and expect to win. Since most games are close, Sanchez is a major liability in this regard. The stats are what they are, but don't tell the important part of the story.

I don't know if geno is truly ready. But watching last nights game is more proof that Sanchez will never be ready, as he is simply incapable of avoiding turnovers and 'almost turnovers' that will sometimes be turnovers. That second series errant throw, if that was against a team like the ravens or 49ers, is another pick.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by section314 View Post
    Eagle....don't have stats in front of me, but I bet Sanchez's best playoff numbers have to be the Steelers game. But your point is well taken.
    In the Steelers loss he was 20/33 233 yards and 2 TDs.

Good numbers, but, in the first half, when the game was lost, he was 6-15 for 60 yards. And the team was outscored 7-3 in the first half while Sanchez and the offense was on the field. He had a strong 2nd half to make the game close -- but that game was lost in the 1st half when both offense and defense sucked.

What the in the wide, wide , world of sports are you confusing the situation with facts for ?
    That pick 6 last night is just the beginning, he was out of the pocket and should have throw it in the ground. Instead, in usual Sanchez fashion, in a panic, he throws I up for grabs. Folks, defenses know how to beat Mark, get into his face quick and he will do something stupid. Next week watch Mark in the pocket with defenders around him. Then watch GMac in the same situation with less protection. Sorry to say, after a whole offseason of working on ball protection, Mark's first series is a pick 6 by a LINEMAN, this does not speak well for a season of Sanchez under center.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by section314 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lithfan View Post
    In the Steelers loss he was 20/33 233 yards and 2 TDs.

Good numbers, but, in the first half, when the game was lost, he was 6-15 for 60 yards. And the team was outscored 7-3 in the first half while Sanchez and the offense was on the field. He had a strong 2nd half to make the game close -- but that game was lost in the 1st half when both offense and defense sucked.
    Lith got it right. He racked up stats in what was essentially garbage time. Pitt was in a shell the entire second half. When we needed to get a score we couldn't. When we needed to get a stop we couldn't.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Lith got it right. He racked up stats in what was essentially garbage time. Pitt was in a shell the entire second half. When we needed to get a score we couldn't. When we needed to get a stop we couldn't.
    Thats not really true. The Jets got back into striking distance, the tide turned, hardly qualifies as garbage time. I was at the game, the Steeler fans sure as sh1t didn't share this opinion of what was going on

I couldnt ask for a better example for this thread then the pittsburgh game.

Yes we did come on in the second half, and sanchez played decent, but hmmmmm why again were we down so badly?

Oh right, he was sacked, fumbled, and it was returned for a touchdown. This was on a designed blitz where again, he didnt recognize that the blitz was coming, he had zero pocket presence, actually PUMP FAKED when there was a free rusher, and subsequently put the game out of reach. Pretty much sums up his whole career

All Pro
    Is anybody really disagreeing?

Sanchez's biggest problem has always been devastating, back breaking, head scratching turnovers.

The people saying Sanchez will start (if Geno misses serious time, that's what we're looking at) are mostly resigned to it, I think. Almost all of us are hoping Geno seizes the job.

I couldnt ask for a better example for this thread then the pittsburgh game.

Yes we did come on in the second half, and sanchez played decent, but hmmmmm why again were we down so badly?

Oh right, he was sacked, fumbled, and it was returned for a touchdown. This was on a designed blitz where again, he didnt recognize that the blitz was coming, he had zero pocket presence, actually PUMP FAKED when there was a free rusher, and subsequently put the game out of reach. Pretty much sums up his whole career
    what confuses me is that so many fans are willing to forgive the mistakes if sanchez plays better afterwards. the threshold for success should not be, pick 6, near pick, then score td, so all is ok. that won't work. the good qbs in the nfl don't give away points as easily as sanchez. nobody on the jets seems willing to come out and say this. rex says it's unacceptable. wow, that's tough language. what a joke.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Nut View Post
    Thats not really true. The Jets got back into striking distance, the tide turned, hardly qualifies as garbage time. I was at the game, the Steeler fans sure as sh1t didn't share this opinion of what was going on
    Game was over before at half time. Actually it was over before it started b.c Rex let his team treat the NE victory like the SB. They lacked focus and it showed.

When the Pitt D needed to stop us in the 2nd half they did. Sanchez moved the ball against a vanilla defense. If we would have taken the lead at any point in the 2nd half I would agree with you. The way I see it is that we never really threatened.

Idk if my math is right so someone may have to help me.

If you take away the pick 6 wouldn't the score still be 19-17 ??

Thanks in advance, just graduated 1st grade in June.

McElroy showed what he has last year. He is NOT an NFL starter, thus the drafting of Smith.

If you watched the game last night the pick six was on a screen pass to the fullback ,who fell down. Sanchez should have thrown the ball away, but he is not totally to blame on this one. The offense that the Jets are putting in is based on short crossing and timing patterns. This really is the last stand for Sanchez. If he cannot succeed in this system, I don't think he will succeed.